Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" (3029 Views)

My Thought As A Free Thinker / Religion Section Needs An Intelligent & Abstracted Atheist/free Thinker! / I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by onyfrank: 4:04am On May 08, 2013
I always hear this; "I am a Free thinker," "I think Free(ly)."
Pls, i want to know what is being a free thinker. And if it is guided by law.
Thanx
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 9:25am On May 08, 2013
onyfrank: I always hear this; "I am a Free thinker," "I think Free(ly)."
Thanx

Simple, a feethinker is one that forms opinions and thoughts based on reason/logic/evidence and not on authority.

A freethinker wouldnt be a religious fellow, especially with faith based religions

1 Like

Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 11:42am On May 08, 2013
u get?
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Qkeyxyz: 5:22pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:
Simple, a feethinker is one that forms opinions and thoughts based on reason/logic/evidence and not on authority.

A freethinker wouldnt be a religious fellow, especially with faith based religions

Wrong!!! @bolded
A free thinker is somebody who's not afraid to ask questions, is not afraid to identify with his truths, and seeks to validates doctrines or laws. He could be secular and he could be religious.

You @logicboy clearly are not a free thinker when you insist that such a person cannot be a follower of a faith. You are slave-minded, not free. How can you be free when you refuse to acknowledge the possibilities of other forms of logic and existence just because they are not your chosen path(not because you know all things). You are just as slave-minded as every other bigot out there.
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Qkeyxyz: 5:26pm On May 08, 2013
And to prove that your are not a free thinker, you will not try to defeat my argument in a debative manner because you can't. Instead you will resort to abuse, derision and tantrums grin grin grin just to distract or derail.

Okay go!!!
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Kay17: 5:45pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

however evidence and logic/reason both constitute authority.

Qkeyxyz:

How can you be free when you refuse to acknowledge the possibilities of other forms of logic and existence just because they are not your chosen path(not because you know all things). You are just as slave-minded as every other bigot out there.

What other forms of logic are there?!
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 08, 2013
Qkeyxyz:

Wrong!!! @bolded
A free thinker is somebody who's not afraid to ask questions, is not afraid to identify with his truths, and seeks to validates doctrines or laws. He could be secular and he could be religious.

You @logicboy clearly are not a free thinker when you insist that such a person cannot be a follower of a faith. You are slave-minded, not free. How can you be free when you refuse to acknowledge the possibilities of other forms of logic and existence just because they are not your chosen path(not because you know all things). You are just as slave-minded as every other bigot out there.

First look up the definition of freethinker- it is clearly mentioned that it is in contrast with religion:

Definition of FREETHINKER

: one who forms opinions on the basis of reason independently of authority; especially : one who doubts or denies religious dogma

Religion relies on authority and faith mostly......problematic for anyone who thinks freely
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 08, 2013
Kay 17: however evidence and logic/reason both constitute authority.

!

Boolshyt.
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

First look up the definition of freethinker- it is clearly mentioned that it is in contrast with religion:

: one who forms opinions on the basis of reason independently of authority;  especially : one who doubts or denies religious dogma

Religion relies on authority and faith mostly......problematic for anyone who thinks freely

You were almost right but the bold gave you away...

Some people in religion doubt or deny religious dogmas...
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Qkeyxyz: 6:18pm On May 08, 2013
Kay 17:
What other forms of logic are there?!

If you understood the true meaning(instead of following conventions) of logic, then you wouldn't need to ask what other forms of logic there are.

Logic is simply a pattern of thought and behaviour. A process by which decisions are made. A value system. Therefore anything that is predictable(has a pattern) is based on some logic.

You are not a free thinker when you narrow your definition of logic to purely secular scientific.
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 08, 2013
striktlymi:

You were almost right but the bold gave you away...

Some people in religion doubt or deny religious dogmas...

Denying some religious dogma and accepting others doesnt make you a freethinker.

Please dont say silly things just to oppose me
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 08, 2013
onyfrank: I always hear this; "I am a Free thinker," "I think Free(ly)."
Thanx

Someone without a belief system. Some who Doesnt believe in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny.
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Denying some religious dogma and accepting others doesnt make you a freethinker.

Please dont say silly things just to oppose me

I didn't say it man...it's in your definition...

Do you need my binoculars?
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Qkeyxyz: 6:44pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

: one who [size=13pt]forms opinions on the basis of reason independently of authority; especially : one who doubts or denies religious dogma[/size]

This definition still does not contradict my position. I doubt or deny a lot of conventional christian doctrines, yet I(and many like me) still identify as a christian. How do I not qualify as a free thinkers?

To put it more correctly; A lot of interpretations of religion(I speak as a christian) relies on authority. True religion is based on reason(logic). It is reason which brings about faith and authority(not dogma).
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Qkeyxyz: 6:49pm On May 08, 2013
I hope you are not equating "free thinker" with "atheist"??
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 08, 2013
Qkeyxyz:

This definition still does not contradict my position. I doubt or deny a lot of conventional christian doctrines, yet I(and many like me) still identify as a christian. How do I not qualify as a free thinkers?

To put it more correctly; A lot of interpretations of religion(I speak as a christian) relies on authority. True religion is based on reason(logic). It is reason which brings about faith and authority(not dogma).

There are christian dogmas you reject- good

There are christian dogmas you accept- fail

You can not be a freethinker angry
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 08, 2013
Qkeyxyz: I hope you are not equating "free thinker" with "atheist"??

Synonymous, similar but not the same
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Qkeyxyz: 8:21pm On May 08, 2013
Logicboy03:
Synonymous, similar but not the same

fail @synonymous.
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 08, 2013
Qkeyxyz:

fail @synonymous.

Epic fail

http://thesaurus.com/browse/freethinker

Tell me, do you feel foolish now?
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by onyfrank: 6:19am On May 09, 2013
ifeness:

Someone without a belief system. Some who Doesnt believe in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny.
u are being bias na.

1 Like

Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Kay17: 6:40am On May 09, 2013
Logicboy, for you reason and evidence are the only paths to truth, in as it is: that is authority.you consult it at dilemmas and in finding statements true. Reason in your belief supercede all other epistemological authorities (faith, intuition).

1 Like

Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:34am On May 09, 2013
Kay 17: Logicboy, for you reason and evidence are the only paths to truth, in as it is: that is authority.you consult it at dilemmas and in finding statements true. Reason in your belief supercede all other epistemological authorities (faith, intuition).

Seriously bro?

Why are you anonynizing?

I truly hate it when people say stuff just to oppose me.

We both know the common meaning of making opinions on authority. definition of authority.

Authority implies on the influence of another person/people/being. Take for instance, the bible, christian take it on the authority of the people that wrote it because the peeps were inspired by god or the authority of god.

logic is simply reasoning available to everyone. It is not an "authority".

Dont stretch definitions for argument sake angry
===========================================================

Sorry but it is becoming some weird kind of trend lately for peeps to deny the obvious whenever I comment
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:35am On May 09, 2013
Hi op, I personally believe a freethinker could be independent of any of the recognized beliefs. As much as you can say most freethinkers are atheists, not all atheists are freethinkers. Some just hold on to all theories that discredit the existence of a god without challenging them.
This remains my favorite definition of a freethinker:
Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.-Leo Tolstoy (On Life and Essays on Religion)
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:37am On May 09, 2013
Qkeyxyz:

Wrong!!! @bolded

Well said!!
Do I expect a rebuttal from the accused?
Not at all.
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:40am On May 09, 2013
inurmind: Hi op, I personally believe a freethinker could be independent of any of the recognized beliefs. As much as you can say most freethinkers are atheists, not all atheists are freethinkers. Some just hold on to all theories that discredit the existence of a god without challenging them.
Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.-Leo Tolstoy (On Life and Essays on Religion)

GBAM

Just perfect
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:40am On May 09, 2013
inurmind: Hi op, I personally believe a freethinker could be independent of any of the recognized beliefs. As much as you can say most freethinkers are atheists, not all atheists are freethinkers. Some just hold on to all theories that discredit the existence of a god without challenging them.

Morning inurmind,

Nice input...

This definitely will do for me...not all freethinkers are Atheist and not all freethinkers are irreligious...
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Qkeyxyz: 7:40am On May 09, 2013

Good! good!!
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:41am On May 09, 2013
Reyginus: Well said!!
Do I expect a rebuttal from the accused?
Not at all.

supporters' club.

Feel free to air your grievances with me on this topic. You will be adequately debunked.
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 7:48am On May 09, 2013
Morning Dark knight,

Logicboy03:

supporters' club.

Nah...the above does not define me...you know I don't just join the bandwagon; if it makes sense I accept...haven't you seen me defend some Islam position lipsrsealed

Logicboy03:
Feel free to air your grievances with me on this topic.

I don't have one yet cause I am yet to fully grasp your position on the matter...

Logicboy03:
You will be adequately debunked.

Lol!!!...in your dreams man...in your dreams!
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by ijawkid(m): 8:16am On May 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

GBAM

Just perfect

Does inurmind's definition apply to a stiff necked atheist like you??.......cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Nobody: 8:26am On May 09, 2013
By inurmind's definitions, very few Christians would be 'freethinkers'...

Which brings another question to mind...

Is anyone really a 'free' thinker?

As long as one exhibits some form of bias or another, can one be said to be a 'freethinker'?

Expect some extreme examples to follow.. On my mobile now...
Re: What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" by Kay17: 8:27am On May 09, 2013
@logicboy

I'm not anonyizing nor merely opposing you for the sake of it. Your definition of authority is too narrow

Authority implies on the influence of another person/people/being

Authority need not be a person or a being. It could be a concept like the State, a collection of ideas. The keyword is prevailing influence. And Reason does influence our decisions as to what's true or false.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rules On Slavery / How Can A Business Man Calculate His Tithe / First Bible Translated In Yoruba By Ajayi Crowther

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.