Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,125 members, 7,953,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:04 PM

I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? (10909 Views)

I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / What Is Being A "Free Thinker?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by geegee(f): 1:10am On Aug 04, 2007
I do not belong to any religion, neither do I worship anywhere but I believe there is God.

And I try to keep his commandments, I'm not hypocritical neither am I jugdmental.

I treat everyone fairly, Christian and Muslims inclusive with respect for their beliefs.

Yet I'm being criticised for not having a religion and a place of worship.

Please I want your opinion on this thanks.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 1:28am On Aug 04, 2007
geegee:

i do not belong to any religion,

Christianity is not about religion.

geegee:

neighter do i worship anywhere but i believe there is God

God of what?

geegee:

and i try to keep his commandments,

Whose commandments? What are they?

geegee:

im not hypocritical neighter im i jugdemental i treat everyone fairly christan and muslims inclusive wt respect for their belives

For your "righteousness" are like filthy rags.

geegee:

yet im being critisied for not having a religion and a place of worship.please i want your opinion on this thanx.

You can't be going to a heaven whose owner and maker you do not have any knowledge of neither can you go to a heaven when you don't even know the way nor requirements to get there.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by dominobaby(f): 11:38am On Aug 04, 2007
PTH, you've so analysed the poster's statements, WORD!

@geegee, God has given us a free will, to choose whom we will serve, not to be free thinkers.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by jagunlabi(m): 3:24pm On Aug 04, 2007
Your way to heaven depends solely on your earthly deeds,and not which socalled "way" you belong.
Continue to be a free thinker and don't let anyone try to turn you to a brainless sheep.
Love your fellow human as yourself,irrespective of religion,race or creed.
And help to make this world a better place to live in in any little way you can.
In other words,put humaneness and humanity first in all your deeds and thoughts.
That is what God require of us humans.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by BlkRaven(f): 9:07pm On Aug 04, 2007
dominobaby:

PTH, you've so analysed the poster's statements, WORD!

@geegee, God has given us a free will, to choose whom we will serve, not to be free thinkers.

God has given us free will to make a choice. There were no conditions attached to the free will. Free thinking is a choice. The OP does not have to belong to any religious group because we can all think for ourselves. She just needs to do what she knows in her heart is right.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 9:17pm On Aug 04, 2007
BlkRaven:

God has given us free will to make a choice. There were no conditions attached to the free will. Free thinking is a choice. The OP does not have to belong to any religious group because we can all think for ourselves. She just needs to do what she knows in her heart is right.

Here is the flaw in this analysis. If all we need to do is "think" for ourselves and merely do what we "know" is right in our hearts then how can we claim that a "God" of whom we have no idea about has given us freewill?

How can you claim to recieve something from someone you do not know?
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Aproko(f): 9:53pm On Aug 04, 2007
@ geegee,

do you believe there is a heaven?if you do, what path are you to follow to arrive there safely? i guess your answer to this question would tell you if you are heaven bound. so are you?
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Reverend(m): 9:57pm On Aug 04, 2007
Heaven does not exist, when you die that is it. YOU ARE DEAD lipsrsealed tongue lipsrsealed
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2007
Reverend:

Heaven does not exist, when you die that is it. YOU ARE DEAD lipsrsealed tongue lipsrsealed

i cant wait for you to go and confirm for us. grin

1 Like

Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Reverend(m): 10:13pm On Aug 04, 2007
I am not afraid of death and I definitely do not need some fairy story pretend God to make me feel better about the inevitable lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by BlkRaven(f): 10:21pm On Aug 04, 2007
PTH:

Here is the flaw in this analysis. If all we need to do is "think" for ourselves and merely do what we "know" is right in our hearts then how can we claim that a "God" of whom we have no idea about has given us freewill?

How can you claim to recieve something from someone you do not know?

I believe there is a creator because when I look around me, I see the complexities of nature and even the human body, I believe that whoever created it is of higher intelligence/power. I know we have been given free will because good and evil exist in the world and we all have the ability to choose our own path. I just don't believe that one has to be in a religious group to worship God. Religion was created by human beings.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 10:34pm On Aug 04, 2007
BlkRaven:

I believe there is a creator because when I look around me, I see the complexities of nature and even the human body, I believe that whoever created it is of higher intelligence/power.

Excellent observation.

BlkRaven:

I know we have been given free will because good and evil exist in the world and we all have the ability to choose our own path.

Not exactly true. It is possible that evil is merely a consequence of our own actions. Besides out of the over 100 "gods" presently jostling for recognition, which one do you assume gave you freewill?

BlkRaven:

I just don't believe that one has to be in a religious group to worship God. Religion was created by human beings.

Religion indeed was created by man.
However i'm still at a loss as to how you expect to reach a "god" you dont know. Merely knowing a god exists is not enough. The question is which one? How and to whom does "he" reach out to? Which is the way to him?
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by mukina2: 10:47pm On Aug 04, 2007
PTH:

Excellent observation.

Not exactly true. It is possible that evil is merely a consequence of our own actions. Besides out of the over 100 "gods" presently jostling for recognition, which one do you assume gave you freewill?

Religion indeed was created by man.
However i'm still at a loss as to how you expect to reach a "god" you don't know. Merely knowing a god exists is not enough. The question is which one? How and to whom does "he" reach out to? Which is the way to him?

Davidylan grin grin grin
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 04, 2007
mukina2:

Davidylan grin grin grin

could this be true muki?
david,I missed you.
I've been looking for your intelligent posts
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by BlkRaven(f): 11:02pm On Aug 04, 2007
Hi PTH

Not exactly true. It is possible that evil is merely a consequence of our own actions.
I'm not sure I understand. If evil is merely a consequence of our actions, then does that not mean that we have been given the choice between good and evil?

Besides out of the over 100 "gods" presently jostling for recognition, which one do you assume gave you freewill?
That's the beauty of freethinking: I don't have to pick any God. I just acknowledge that there is one and treat people the way I wish to be treated. Choosing one God is best left to those who wish to be part of a religious group.

However i'm still at a loss as to how you expect to reach a "god" you don't know. Merely knowing a god exists is not enough. The question is which one? How and to whom does "he" reach out to? Which is the way to him?
Now you are asking questions that are clearly from a religious perspective (I'm guessing, Christian). For me, acknowledging that God exists is enough. He reaches out to me through my experiences. I have a bad experience and I know he's trying to teach me something. He speaks to me through by my friends and also my conscience.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by mukina2: 11:05pm On Aug 04, 2007
babyosisi:

could this be true muki?
david,I missed you.

check the posts grin can sniff him out anywhere grin
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by simplyme3(f): 11:06pm On Aug 04, 2007
where will you find the way?
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 3:00am On Aug 05, 2007
mukina2:

Davidylan grin grin grin

if you havent commited to a career path already abeg consider being a detective. Smart bit of work there!  grin

babyosisi:

could this be true muki?
david,I missed you.

my dear thanks o. i missed all of una too much i could not imagine life in obantalapipi's gulag.  grin
I shall soon return with my old moniker. tongue
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 3:10am On Aug 05, 2007
BlkRaven:

Hi PTH
I'm not sure I understand. If evil is merely a consequence of our actions, then does that not mean that we have been given the choice between good and evil?

Not really, that you reap what you sow is not synonymous with being given the choice to choose between good and evil. Obviously no one chooses to reap evil even when that is what they sow.

BlkRaven:

That's the beauty of freethinking: I don't have to pick any God. I just acknowledge that there is one and treat people the way I wish to be treated. Choosing one God is best left to those who wish to be part of a religious group.

This is a classic example of the muddled thinking of he who considers himself a "freethinker". Is it possible to NOT have to pick a father but merely acknowledge that a father exists?
1. Every "God" has clearly distinct conditions and requirements; how do you know which one to follow?

2. Is merely treating someone the way they wish to be treated the general criteria demanded by all "gods"?

3. There is no middle road between right or wrong. You either choose a "god" to follow or you choose not to follow any. That is the real beauty of free thinking.

BlkRaven:

Now you are asking questions that are clearly from a religious perspective (I'm guessing, Christian). For me, acknowledging that God exists is enough. He reaches out to me through my experiences. I have a bad experience and I know he's trying to teach me something. He speaks to me through by my friends and also my conscience.

God is not a mysterious spiritual phenomenon. Depending on what "religion" you believe in, God is indeed real, with specific concepts of how to reach Him and how He speaks to us.
Like every appliance we use in everyday life, God has His own manual. To pretend to have a relationship with Him outside that manual is to decieve yourself. Even witches and devils can also claim to be reaching out to "God" through their own experiences.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by BlkRaven(f): 3:46am On Aug 05, 2007
This is a classic example of the muddled thinking of he who considers himself a "freethinker". Is it possible to NOT have to pick a father but merely acknowledge that a father exists?
1. Every "God" has clearly distinct conditions and requirements; how do you know which one to follow?

2. Is merely treating someone the way they wish to be treated the general criteria demanded by all "gods"?

3. There is no middle road between right or wrong. You either choose a "god" to follow or you choose not to follow any. That is the real beauty of free thinking.

It is not muddled thinking. Your questions, once again, are from a religious perspective. As I said before, religion is man made so man is the one setting all these conditions, criteria and dictating that one makes a choice with regards to a god. I ask questions and make a judgement based on reason, not blind faith. I believe in treating people the way I wish to be treated because that is more important than any religion.

Like every appliance we use in everyday life, God has His own manual. To pretend to have a relationship with Him outside that manual is to decieve yourself. Even witches and devils can also claim to be reaching out to "God" through their own experiences.

So which is God's manual? The Bible? The Qu'ran? The Torah? This is getting to be one long debate.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Horus(m): 9:06am On Aug 05, 2007
First of all, where is Heaven?    Well, where do religious teach you Heaven exists?  They say “UP” ……,  “UP where?  We are on the Earth and it’s a round globe that has a diameter of 7,926 miles. The Planet Earth, called in Hebrew “Eret” in the Bible, and  in Arabic “Ard’” in the Quran. The Earth has no foundation because it is traveling through a vacuum or space 1,037 1/3rd  miles per hour in it’s orbit around around the Sun.  So in our movement around the Sun we don’t have a bottom, and since we are in perpetual motion we don’t have a top.
So where is their Heaven?
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Reverend(m): 9:38am On Aug 05, 2007
Heaven only exists in the mind of the weak. It was an invention to help us deal with death, a silly story that was supposed to make us less scared of dying. Many Christians waste away their time on earth preparing to go to this fictional place, many more muslims think they will get to screw a load of virgins when they get there. Many even blow themselves up trying to get there  grin grin grin

If you really have a brain, have a free mind and logic, you will not waste your precious time on earth preparing yourself for a non existent place.

The only heaven that could exist is here on earth (if we decide to make it that way).

Maybe it is not always heaven here on earth, but it could be if we were to dispense with the real evil called religion and stop wasting our time killing each other in the name of pretend Gods, places and silly rules.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 05, 2007
I personally WAS brought up as Catholic, but I grew out of it. I don't believe in god.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Reverend(m): 10:30am On Aug 05, 2007
@Siena

Good for you, another free spirit grin grin
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by dtwsola(m): 1:31pm On Aug 05, 2007
You had better stop with all that free thinking stuff, or you will burn in the lake of fire and brimstone.
Blindly accept, don't think!
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by mellow(m): 1:44pm On Aug 05, 2007
My word of advise. Stop all that thinking for free.

Start collecting money for them. Nothing goes for nothing

these days.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by chiegemba(f): 1:53pm On Aug 05, 2007
@Topic;  if u believe dere is God as well as respect other religions but personally dont want 2 get urself invovled in 1. And u being a free thinker aslo viewin d possiblities of u wantin 2 go 2 heaven?

Is dat ur inner consicence speakin out or wat? "am just kinda confused here"
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by chiegemba(f): 1:55pm On Aug 05, 2007
Siena:

I personally WAS brought up as Catholic, but I grew out of it. I don't believe in god.
kinda curious so what do u believe in?
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 4:15pm On Aug 05, 2007
Ah here comes the association of spiritually blinded unbelievers aka "freethinkers".

Pls let us know how hell looks like, perhaps the freedom to think freely exists there.
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by Reverend(m): 4:52pm On Aug 05, 2007
@PTH

You are wasting your time trying to frighten us with the 'you are going to hell' threats.

That is what makes religion so evil and stupid, they have to turn to threats to force you to believe, you have nothing else to offer. Do as I say or you will burn in hell.

Believe in my God or else undecided undecided undecided

Well let me tell you now, there is no God, Jesus, Allah, Buddah, Lord Shiva. They are characters made by man to put fear into our hearts and manipulate and control us.

If they did exist they deserve utter and complete contempt. God would be a ruthless dictator like hitler or Idi Amin, Allah like Mohammed a paedophile, Buddah a big fat overweight piece of lard and Lord Shiva a murderer in a Elephants head.

It is all just total nonsense, utter rubbish and pretend. Your threats of going to hell are meaningless. Just like it is meaningless that you think that you are somebody special that is going to heaven. You wont be going because it does not exist. The worms are going to eat your decaying body when the time comes lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by PTH(m): 11:08pm On Aug 05, 2007
@ reverend,
in no way am i threatening you with hell. Not at all. why should you feel threatened if according to you hell does not even exist?

You are absolutely free to believe whatever you wish. I just wonder why there is so much desperate attempt to prove that God does not exist if you are so sure. guilty conscience? Fear maybe?
Re: I'm A Free Thinker: Does That Mean I Won't Go To Heaven? by gbadex1(m): 2:35am On Aug 06, 2007
gee, and it's the same ol' Rev that would quote scriptures from the Bible trying to validate his "Jesus and Mary had an affair", "God encourages and allows masturbation" BS. disgusting hypocrites, most of the so-called "freethinkers" here are. If God doesn't exist Rev, why use the Bible to validate the crap you brought up a year or two ago? Oh i forgot, u were exposed for the fraud you truly are. I guess Kinky church and Fletcher Snr must be paying you peanuts. better go fry and sell some akara in the UK. As for Horus, ROFL - you are simply pathetic IQ wise. Since u don't believe in Heaven, then the Amun-Re abi na Ra of the bla bla Tamareans that you've been touting on these boards for months automatically doesn't exist. Better yet go call the sorry excuse of an alter ego Kuns to serve the already programmed BS u keep sprouting. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

9 Reasons Why God Allows Trials And Tribulations. / 8 Important Ways To Achieve Success As Christians. / Bible Scholars Lets Discuss Eternal Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.