Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,223 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab (10282 Views)

Word Of The Day / Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / Join A Writing Group, Improve Your Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 1:15am On Jun 01, 2013
ortopazz: Kosfy....dnt knw what u talking abou...

Buh my word for the day is

BOWLEDRIZE........remove indecent or offensive material from (text)
gringringrin
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
kofsy:
gringringrin

hmmm are those ur new words? Jus askin cos they are beautiful jus incase they are...
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 10:37am On Jun 04, 2013
Hello guys... Dont relent, keep the good works going..... My word for today is
'JABBER' -- to chatter volubly.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by log1(m): 11:45am On Jun 04, 2013
#Passing by
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 04, 2013
swoopstake /SWOOP-stayk/

adverb:
In an indiscriminate manner.

ETYMOLOGY:
Alteration of sweepstake, from sweep + stake, originally referring to the winner who takes all. Earliest documented use: 1599.

USAGE:
I replied by falling swoopstake and cropneck* in love with them all, damn it, them all.
* completely
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 04, 2013
Samtolly4JESUS: Hello guys... Dont relent, keep the good works going..... My word for today is

Thanks smiley
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 04, 2013
Samtolly4JESUS: Hello guys... Dont relent, keep the good works going..... My word for today is
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jun 06, 2013
WORD: orotund 
adjective

1. marked by fullness, strength, and clarity of sound : sonorous

2. pompous, bombastic

USAGE:
Josh cleared his throat dramatically, then did a dead-on impression of the professor's
orotund, patronizing speech.

ETYMOLOGY:
The Latin roots of "orotund" are related to two more common English words—"oral" and "rotund." Latin "or-" means "mouth," and "rotundus" means "round" or "circular." The Roman poet Horace joined forms of those Latin terms to create the phrase "ore rotundo," literally meaning "with round mouth," and figuratively meaning "with well-turned speech." "Ore rotundo" was modified to "orotund" and adopted into English in the late 18th century. It can indicate either strength of delivery or inflated wording.

Word Family Quiz: What relative of "orotund" can refer to a round building or room?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 7:22pm On Jun 06, 2013
i really like what u quys are doinq.......kip up d gud work......i dnt really knw biq words and d little i know might look obscene 2 u gurus....but please do not barrack over my failure to post anythinq...i will do a little research and then i will join the group properly
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:29pm On Jun 07, 2013
Crestfallen ------- sad and disappointed

debonair-------confident,stylish, and charming

debauch ------ corrupt morally

my words for the lst 3days
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 07, 2013
[color=#9900f]@chuksemi, lol you don't need to do any research before you come up with your word for the day... You'd agree with me that we encounter at least 2 new words each day. So when you see/hear such new words, the next thing to do is check them up and post one here for the day... Since the new words I come across each day is unique and totally different from the ones you come across; it breeds learning. And the ripple effect of that on each member of this thread will be an improved/-ing vocabulary.

We don't necessarily have to search for those words before we post them; they come to us on their own. It could be from the pages of magazines, news papers, on nairaland(you're aware that there are a lot of shakespares in the politics section wink, from a speech, a stranger having a phone conversation, and the source goes on and on... It's limitless! I guess that's where the fun is(you don't have to consciously take it upon yourself to look for them) grin grin grin

Hence, I'm looking forward to your first wordwink wink [/color]

#DropItlikeItsHot
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2013
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 07, 2013
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 07, 2013
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 11:07pm On Jun 07, 2013
Did 'k' just go 3pages without any word? My am crestfallen
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 7:47am On Jun 08, 2013
My words for today

ap-par-at-chick: an official in a large political organization

apo-gee=the highest point of something or a point in the orbit that is furthest from the earth

antsy=impatient not able to keep still

thanks for the encouragement kofsy...by the way can you help with something?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by mrsolutionm(m): 9:46am On Jun 08, 2013
kofsy: ^^^
Looool I'm learning!
am enjoying this
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 12:16pm On Jun 09, 2013
INFICETE

Just like INSCIENT, it has 2 meanings which are almost word and opposite (oxymoron, really)

definitions
1. dull, unfunny, deadly serious, humorless
2. elegant, graceful, facetious

Thankfully, it is not an everyday word. But writing at a higher level requires more than regular knowledge.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 10, 2013
ortopazz: Did 'k' just go 3pages without any word? My am crestfallen

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy so you're trying your newly found word on me abi?

Ok!

Seeing you crestfallen actually gave me encephalalgia? tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 10, 2013
grin grin, you guys should keep the good word, learning a lot. But give us more common words tho
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jun 10, 2013
Chuksemi: My words for today

ap-par-at-chick: an official in a large political organization

apo-gee=the highest point of something or a point in the orbit that is furthest from the earth

antsy=impatient not able to keep still

thanks for the encouragement kofsy...by the way can you help with something?

Lol that's the spirit man!!! Keep 'em coming grin grin
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 10, 2013
spelunk \spi-LUHNGK\,

verb:
to explore caves, especially as a hobby.

USAGE
They were flown to Lebanon to ski the unlikely snow, sail the Mediterranean, spelunk the Jeita cave.

The pair of young German professors spelunking with their electric torches in the rafters of the Old-New Synagogue, or Altneuschul, had, as it happened, gone away disappointed; for the attic under the stair-stepped gables of the old Gothic synagogue was a cenotaph.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: grin grin, you guys should keep the good word, learning a lot. But give us more common words tho

"us"? So you want to remain a spectator? C'mon join "us" the active ones rather than the "us" that are passive grin grin two heads they say is better than one... Now imagine those two heads+cameroonpride's lunker head grin grin that's will sum up to ten heads o cheesy cheesy cheesy

Oya dust your boots and join the moving train ;P
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 9:28pm On Jun 10, 2013
Words for the day(or night whichever one you choose)
aorta=the main artery that carries the blood from the heart to other parts of the body

Disport=to enjoy your self by doing something active

Hooey=nonsense or stupid talk

hooha=noisy excitement especially about something unimportant
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
Chuksemi: Words for the day(or night whichever one you choose)
aorta=the main artery that carries the blood from the heart to other parts of the body

Disport=to enjoy your self by doing something active

Hooey=nonsense or stupid talk

hooha=noisy excitement especially about something unimportant

Yaaaaay Chuksemi is coming up! Keep it up

But pls let's stick to the ONE word/day rule...

Thanks smiley
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 11, 2013
hoise\HOYZ\  

verb:
lift, raise; especially : to raise into position by or as if by means of tackle

USAGE:
Bethany was selected by her Girl Scout troop to hoise the American flag for Monday's Memorial Day ceremony on the town green.

The connection between "hoise" and "hoist" is a bit confusing. The two words are essentially synonymous variants, but "hoist" is far more common. You'll rarely encounter "hoise" in any of its regular forms: "hoise," "hoised," or "hoising." But a variant of its past participle shows up fairly frequently as part of a set expression. And now, here's the confusing part—that variant past participle is "hoist"! The expression is "hoist with (or by) one's own petard," which means "victimized or hurt by one's own scheme."
This oft-heard phrase owes its popularity to Shakespeare's Hamlet: "For 'tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petard ." (A petard is a medieval explosive. The quote implies that the engineer—the person who sets the explosive device—is blown into the air by the explosion of his own device.)

There you have it guys! HOISE is my word for today gringrin don't forget to drop yours before the day is over. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
kofsy:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy so you're trying your newly found word on me abi?

Ok!

Seeing you crestfallen actually gave me encephalalgia? tongue tongue tongue

hahahahahahaha. . . . . J cnt stop laughin
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Chuksemi(m): 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
ok...ok...ok.....aunty kofsy

my word for the day is

DEARTH:- /d3:0/ (hope you guys will understand the last one)

meaning:-a lack of something;the fact of there not being enough of of something

usage:-there was a dearth of trustworthy people at the just concluded meeting

note=dont use it in the presence of laymen as they may confuse the word with the dreaded one(death).
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ortopazz(m): 5:56am On Jun 19, 2013
sorry am breaching the one word rule, my last 4 days I actually wasnt dulling, just dint post em

MALADROIT--- lacking in tact, physically clumsy

RANCOUR Bitter lasting, hatred or Malignant spite

HAGIOLATORY-- worship of saints

ABERRANT Not Normal or acceptable
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 19, 2013
sad sad I'm sorry I've been away for a while. sad sad been kinda busy! I promise to be back before the end of today to drop my word.

Ortopazz, I'm coming back to get you... If you know what I mean wink
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 20, 2013
Peccant
adjective

1. guilty of a moral offense : sinning

2. violating a principle or rule : faulty

USAGE:
Outside the confessional stood a short line of
peccant parishioners waiting to seek redemption for their sins.

ETYMOLOGY
"Peccant" comes from the Latin verb "peccare," which means "to sin," "to commit a fault," or "to stumble," and is related to the better-known English word "peccadillo" ("a slight offense"wink. Etymologists have suggested that "peccare" might be related to Latin "ped-" or "pes," meaning "foot," by way of an unattested adjective, "peccus," which may have been used to mean "having an injured foot" or "stumbling." Whether or not a connection truly exists between "peccant" and "peccus," "peccant" itself involves stumbling of a figurative kind—making errors, for example, or falling into immoral, corrupt, or sinful behavior.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Those Days In Command Sec School Ipaja / Souloho19 Wins July 5k Award / Whats The Most Interesting Novel You've Ever Read?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.