Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! (1348 Views)

Princess Adeola-Ogunwusi In Nigeria For Her Fathers Wedding / An Osun Lady Raised And Impregnated By Ghosts / The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by oreindia: 7:26pm On May 08, 2013
Hello, Don't really know where to start....

I am with a Nigerian born man and we are expecting a baby in the winter. He has only been in the country for about 3 years and thanks to good ol' Theresa May, the new immigration laws in england mean that he may not be able to stay in the country even with a British born spouse and British born child. I have been doing a lot of research into loopholes that might mean he can stay, but the immigration laws here seem to be changing every few months to make things harder for non europeans. I can't bare the thought of living across the world from him or having to raise my child alone because the British government doesn't support basic human rights to a family for people like us. He is about to finish studying his degree at uni and with Jobs over here becoming more sparse Im scared that we will not be able to meet the financial requirements in time to stay also.

I wondered if anybody could advise me on what it would be like for me to move to Nigeria? Iv'e mentioned it to my partner but I know he doesn't really want to think about it and always says he will find a way to stay. When I ask him if i'd like living there he says yes but in places like Lekki, or Abuja, and I know its pricey there compared to a lot of places in Nigeria. He is from Lagos and I know we would probably have to move there first..

Shockingly my father has never taken me to Nigeria (i'm mixed race, Nigerian/English) so of course (you will think i'm stupid because I haven't even been yet and i'm overly fantasising about moving) I would have to visit many times to get a feel for the place and even then moving there would be different to living there. I cant go now because I am pregnant but I was supposed to go for the wintertime to see his family this year.

-so after a long winded explanation, my question is how would I fair in Nigeria? As a mixed race brit would I experience racism? I have experienced racism from nigerians within extended family who have visited on my family's side so it gets me thinking... however I know there is a big international community in Nigeria.. also I am very westernised with a few tattoos etc. They are usually covered but in heat like that they wont be. How are Nigerians with this kind of thing? by partner says id be cool but I don't know...

-I am 24, im an artist/ freelance makeup artist and will soon be a qualified nail technician and loctician, is there a big market for the beauty industry in Nigeria? (I would imagine there is as I know a lot of Nigerian women like to stay well maintained) if so would I be able to start my own business with this? And how easy would it be for my partner to get a job with a british business management degree?

-As a painter I would like to know how the arts scene is, I know there are many amazing artists who have come out of Nigeria, but would I be able to feed my need for the cultural side of things? i'm not massive on clubbing any more so that side of things is not such a big deal for me but every now and again would be nice! how is the nightlife?

If you have taken the time to read or skim over this its much appreciated!
Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:18am On May 09, 2013
yeahh we dont like half-breeds.

1 Like

Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by oreindia: 4:33pm On May 09, 2013
Thats funny, I get nuff attention from fresh Nigerians where I am. Funny coming from someone who's status name is Pagan. do you even know what that means and what culture that comes from? ill bet half the items, clothes and things you watch on tv including those big blockbuster films (i'm sure you don't just stick to nollywood) all made by whites. you don't like half breeds eh? well if your opinion is much to go by maybe I should stay where I am innit? where I get round the clock electricity, don't have to que up to buy cooking oil and where I get free healthcare... things I would seemingly sacrifice..

Thanks! I just answered my own question.

Or maybe someone on here can convince me that your not all racists. its so disappointing when where i'm from as a mixed race person i'm still considered a mere ni88er even in this day and age, but my family's home country might not even accept me because of the colour of my skin. when did black people sink to the same level as their world wide oppressors?
Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by dasparrow: 11:32am On May 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

PAGAN!! Be nice!

1 Like

Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by Afam4eva(m): 12:23pm On May 11, 2013
There's no such thing as racism against any white looking person in NIgeria. You have nothing to be scared of except of course the living conditions which you have to get acquainted to in due course.

As a makeup artiste, there are loads of opportunities in Nigeria even more than the UK(i'm not sure) and that's because Nigerians are party organizing and going freaks, so they will need makeup artiste a lot. So, you have that covered too.
Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by dasparrow: 1:13pm On May 11, 2013
@Oreindia

Please don't mind PAGAN 9GA. He does not believe in inter-racial relationships. He believes blacks should marry and/or have babies with fellow blacks only to keep the black race going. All Nigerians do not share PAGAN's opinion if you must know.

Having said that, let me attempt to answer some of your questions. First of all, Nigeria can be a challenging country to live in if you have spent all your life in the western world so far. Nigeria is not an advanced society like England. Nigeria is still developing. So, some of the 'luxuries' you take for granted in the UK are not always readily available in Nigeria. For instance, constant electricity and uninterrupted clean tap water. If you like peace and quiet, Nigeria may not be conducive for you because we endure a lot of noise pollution here coming from blaring generators, churches and mosques built in residential areas who blast their loud speakers which are strategically located outside the building, drivers who drive recklessly and who honk their car horns incessantly.

Even someone like me who was born in western Europe and spent some of my developing years in Nigeria - but the greater part of my life between western Europe and USA - still find Nigeria a challenging country to live in. I am temporarily in Nigeria at the moment for personal reasons and the lack of electricity and constant heat and humidity is driving me through the wall. The dust is way too much, the environment is relatively dirty, and the average Nigerian is always looking for a way to rip another person off, from the trader in the market to the petrol filling station clerk who will intentionally keep part of your change. Bribery and corruption equally remains a problem and cost of living is high if you would like to have the same quality of life like in England. When it comes to jobs, it is all about who you know and not based on merit. As for your tattoos, don't worry about them. Our celebrities now have tattoos too. In other words, its gradually becoming acceptable to have tattoos in Nigerian society though we are not quite there yet.

As for racial discrimination, you find that everywhere in the world and Nigeria is no exception. However, based on my observation, many Nigerians are cool with mixed race people. The average Nigerian in Nigeria seems to love light toned people or anyone who is pale in complexion. The average Nigerian especially here in Nigeria treats a white/Caucasian/non-black person better than they treat their fellow Nigerians and that is a fact. However, some Nigerians who have constantly experienced white-on-black racism in the past - especially diaspora returnees - may not like whites/Caucasians and maybe people like yourself who are biracial since some biracial people equally look down on black people who aren't mixed with Caucasian blood.

If you are good at your craft as a make up artist, you can definitely start your own business in Nigeria. Nigerian women love to look good and the make up industry is booming for those that are really good at make-up not some mediocre make-up artist. Many Nigerian women are getting married and are always looking for that make-up artist that knows what he/she is doing and can make them look gorgeous on their special day. If you are really good at your craft, your clientele base will grow quickly and you can start commanding some good money from your clients for services rendered.

Nigeria has some of the world's most talented artists though many foreigners are unaware of that. If you do a Google search, you might see some Nigerian artists' art work online. I see a lot of beautiful art work being sold along the road when I am running errands or going about my day to day activity.

We have some beautiful scenes here in Nigeria but you will have to look for them. Our artists here draw many scenes that depict an African village setting or scenes of ordinary people going about their daily affairs like a woman carrying her baby at the back with a pot on her head or something like that. Nigeria as a country is poor at preserving her wild life unlike countries like Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania and Botswana where you have huge safaris and wild life preservation and where one can just sit down quietly somewhere and draw animals in their natural habitats or nature in all its beauty.

This post has gotten long so I have to wrap up. I will suggest that you and your Nigerian born man get married - that is if you guys are not yet married - so that you as a British citizen can file for him. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I won't move to Nigeria permanently right now because as a nation, we are facing some real challenges at the moment and come 2015, things may take a turn for the worse if our politicians keep up with the nonsense they are doing right now. The northern part of Nigeria wants political power or the presidency to go back to them. The southern part of Nigeria wants political power/presidency to go to them too. Everyone is threatening fire and brimstone if their wish is not fulfilled. You can read up on what is going on in Nigeria politically in the politics section of this forum if you wish. I know the West is still trying to recuperate from the economic recession but you have to do what's best for your family. Maybe you and your Nigerian born man can try another African country to reside in if push comes to shove. Maybe you guys can look for international jobs with NGOs that will post you guys to a better country. In other words, do your research and weigh your options carefully.

All the best!

3 Likes

Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

dasparrow:

PAGAN!! Be nice!

LWKMD!
@poster don't mind pagan. you will get used to him soon. grin
he's actually a nice guy beneath it all. smiley
Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by Nobody: 8:44am On May 12, 2013
Nigerians love mixies, you get all the attention from hungry girls, [size=1pt]however dont sleep with them o ![/size]
Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:47am On May 12, 2013
oreindia: I should stay where I am innit? where I get round the clock electricity, don't have to que up to buy cooking oil and where I get free healthcare... things I would seemingly sacrifice..

dont try to make us jealous? we have a slight snag right now, but dont worry, we will be @ that level soon, if not higher. wink

dasparrow: @Oreindia

Please don't mind PAGAN 9GA. He does not believe in inter- racial ethnic relationships. He believes blacks tribals should marry and/or have babies with fellow blacks tribals only to keep the black race ethnic group going.

Re: Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! by mrD: 4:46pm On Jul 19, 2013
pls send me a mail at demmynails@yahoo.com, am a professional beautician practicing in Abuja, Nigeria. there is huge market here........

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think About Well Dressed Street Beggers? / Oba Of Igbogbo Ikorodu Is Dead! / I Love All These Hotels In Kenya, Tanzania Aka Tourism Hotels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.