Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection (3322 Views)

Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! / Intermittent Starting Problem -2007 Honda Accord. / Spark Plugs Issues. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 10, 2013
Goodday house
pls i use a 1991 honda prelude 2.0L 16V engine which i discover of recent that the battery terminal lightly spark during connection.pls any effect
Re: Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 10, 2013
Pls note of recent i have been having issue of battery drain whenever the car is left untouched upward of 2 days
Re: Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 10, 2013
Hi the gurus
i need inputs
Re: Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection by Ikenna351(m): 8:35pm On May 10, 2013
Its normal to get small sparks sometimes when reconnecting battery terminals, depending on how many gadgets are on. But if you are getting too much spark, then a relay is constantly on or a gadget that shouldn't be on is on.

I would start with the boot light. If your boot light still lit when you open he boot, then I would check it if I were you. Close the boot, try from the rear seat and peep into the boot if the boot light is still on. Its usually the culprit that drains peoples battery when the boot bulb switch fails.

If that is not the issue, then check the relays. Switch off of the cars inner light or anything that gets lit when battery is connected. Then get someone to try reconnecting the battery terminals while you listen for any click from any relay. If you are not sure where the click sound is coming, let him keep trying until you find the source of the click. If its coming from a relay, then the relay is powering itself on or has a connection problem and would drain the battery if left overnight.

You can also try a safer method of testing relay. Try pulling out all the relays you can lay your eyes on and pushing them back on. Anyone of them that clicks when pushed back to its connector is faulty, meaning its powering itself on. This method is safer, but you will need to know where all the relays are located.

There is something else to test. Check if the body of the car or engine is having +volts. Get a DMM (Digital MultiMeter), set it to 20v, connect the positive battery and disconnect the negative head of the battery. Place the red lead of the DMM on the metal part of the engine or on the car body not covered with paint, then place the black lead of the DMM directly on the battery negative head (not on the disconnected ground wire). If you get -12v, then its ok. But if you get 12v, then the positive wire is touching the car body or engine somewhere, or a wrong connection is causing it. It will be draining your battery, since some of the components could be triggered on because of that. Find the wire causing the problem or the wrong connection and fix it. Did you do any electrical work on the car before you started experiencing the battery draining issue?

What about your car stereo? Hope you are not leaving it on Demo when engine is off?

How are sure your battery is still ok?

Ikenna
Re: Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection by Nobody: 9:30pm On May 10, 2013
Thanks a lot ikenna.i will definately get to work tomorrow by God'sgrace and is the fox&lion faring?lol.Goodnight man
Re: Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:59pm On May 10, 2013
Farayolas: Goodday house
pls i use a 1991 honda prelude 2.0L 16V engine which i discover of recent that the battery terminal lightly spark during connection.pls any effect

grin grin grin grin grin my misses was saying the same yesterday when she phoned me, they wanted to jump start a car and they couldnt find the negative and i asked them to attach the negative to any metal part of the engine, they did that and it sparked and they phoned me back saying its sparking, just told them to ignore the spark and as women they wouldnt continue

they didnt like the spark

its normal to spark
Re: Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 13, 2013
@ikenna & zim drill
I really appreciate all the inputs in ensuring that the problem was solved which was finally routed down to the vehicle sound system subwoofer.thanks and God bless

(1) (Reply)

What Could Be Breaking My Front Shock Absorber Springs / A Professional Mechanic Gets His Hands On An INNOSON Vehicle - His Reaction / How Reliable Is BMW 3 Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.