Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector (10270 Views)

Niger Delta Youths To Shut Down NLNG Facilities Over Planned Lagos Shipyard. / Jonathan Plans To Raise Petrol Prices Again / Jonathan Plans To Have Ijaw Republic Says Elrufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Reference(m): 8:01am On May 13, 2013
Policewoman: Maybe in your region. In some other region, they have started assembling SUVs, mini buses, coach buses, cars, e.t.c. So talk only about yourself pls.

Don't lose sleep over these folks. That's why its good to travel. Just get down to Portharcourt and see what guys are doing in boat building for the oil industry. I have friends there who are giving foreign competition a hard time. The challenges are clear, an enabling environment. All government needs to do is to transform these outfits from businesses to an encompassing industry. This requires investment.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Capnd143(m): 8:05am On May 13, 2013
donfineboi: This is obviously a misplaced priority, due to its long term nature. I wonder why our president didn't think of building an additional refinery. We are among the top 10 oil producers yet we import fuel into the country, this alone is very pathetic. The fed govt should focus in making Nigeria more conducive for business to thrive, challenges like inadequate electricity, security, improved network of transportation should take top priority.
Although in terms of agriculture the fed govt have done remarkably well....
Obasanjo left about 3500MW and between then and now there's just an increase of less than 1000MW
true definition of ignorance
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by CROWE: 8:07am On May 13, 2013
phantom: what does this mean? How do you know the man is not paying attention to it or do you expect to see him sleeping at the power plants? Please define 'pay more attention to it' .its very vague.

Every few months the deadline for electricity generation reaching adequate values is pushed back, either the effort is not enough or the time spent on those efforts is not enough, in either case the solution is to dedicate more of whatever is lacking to electricity instead our president turns around and opens another avenue for spending resources so what I would do differently is to not open other avenues but instead spend time on the projects I already have running, is that better?
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by aceTS: 8:08am On May 13, 2013
plan this, plan that.....plan your brain first
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Policewoman(f): 8:08am On May 13, 2013
Anybody saying this is a misplaced priority na him or her sabi. GEJ may be slow but I will commend him when he needs to be commended and criticism when I see him do wrong. Some chronic oppositionists (sic) here will NEVER see anything right in this regime as long as their opposition party is not in power.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by BabaAlabi: 8:21am On May 13, 2013
Policewoman: Anybody saying this is a misplaced priority na him or her sabi. GEJ may be slow but I will commend him when he needs to be commended and criticism when I see him do wrong. Some chronic oppositionists (sic) here will NEVER see anything right in this regime as long as their opposition party is not in power.
The GEJ you are supporting is really retarded and supporters of a retarded fellow are also retarded.(BabaAlabi's law of retardation).
How many planned projects have you seen on ground? Are you so foolish to realise that this is another avenue to loot money in order to rig 2015 election? Yes a shipyard is a good project but how can a shipyard function in a place with unstable electricity and inadequate security? Nigerians don't want shipyards or nollywood investment we want Electricity,Security and Food. If Jonathan cannot deliver before 2014 then he should hide himself around 2015.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by phantom(m): 8:22am On May 13, 2013
Look the truth is a bitter pill to swallow but sometimes one has to do it to set himself free.i am not a fan of gej.didnt vote for him in 2011 reasons being i couldnt see what he had done in his state as governor and didnt think he had the balls to tackle corruption(the alams thing proved me right!) BUT one thing i cant deny and what every RIGHT THINKING nigerian should be able to see is a determination on his part to steer this country forward.i can see him taking calculated steps to make this country better.yes he takes the stupidest decisions many times and yes he changes positions faster than a two kobo LovePeddler( apologies to gbawe) BUT his government TO ME appears to at least have a plan.the opposition should criticise but do it sensibly.to be honest with the kind of opposition i see now one is tempted to vote for the 'retardeen' in 2015 because i honestly cant see them doing better.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Reference(m): 8:24am On May 13, 2013
While we are all crying that Nigeria is over dependent on oil and with high unemployment industrialization is our only way out. That's how Japan and later Korea got out of war debt. Today they are top of the pile in shipping tonnage closing down several ship building plants in Europe and the US even though they don't have an ounce of iron ore.

Here in Nigeria we have iron ore, steel plants, ports filled with foreign ships and an army of unemployed youths turning militant by the day and yet its not important, misplaced priority.

Telecoms and banking are good but we cannot develop depending on those sectors alone. Shipping like construction, agriculture and manufacturing is labour intensive and can sponge a lot of the unemployed out there particularly the blue collar range that have become an internal security problem in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Capnd143(m): 8:25am On May 13, 2013
eko ilee:

Assembling and manufacturing are 2 different things.
Eko ilee i always respected you, bt these fews days you have proved to be a negatively bias and unpatriotic national mistake, a waster siemen, sperm, egg and ovum! As daft as you may be you dont realise that most gunboats and some corvette of nigerian navy are manufactured in Nigeria! That most infantry weapons of nigerian army are manufatured by nigerians, that the best electric cables are nigerian made, even japanese and chinese versions stands no chance, IVM cars are manufactured in nigeria, take a work to calabar free trade zone for more you negativist!
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by konami001: 8:25am On May 13, 2013
Scam Government orchestrating the next campaign slogan....

I need more time to stabilize electricity...
I have promised to build shipyard already...
Industries are coming to Nigeria...
I have spoken to Investors to come and invest in Nigeria....

TALK TALK TALK.... Action = 0

Planning shipyard now... How about the power generation you have been planning for the last 4 yrs or more?
Road nko?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by phantom(m): 8:26am On May 13, 2013
CROWÉ:

Every few months the deadline for electricity generation reaching adequate values is pushed back, either the effort is not enough or the time spent on those efforts is not enough, in either case the solution is to dedicate more of whatever is lacking to electricity instead our president turns around and opens another avenue for spending resources so what I would do differently is to not open other avenues but instead spend time on the projects I already have running, is that better?
lol....If you think 'spending' is the problem, then you dont know jack about the the power problem in this country.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by BabaAlabi: 8:27am On May 13, 2013
phantom: Look the truth is a bitter pill to swallow but sometimes one has to do it to set himself free.i am not a fan of gej.didnt vote for him in 2011 reasons being i couldnt see what he had done in his state as governor and didnt think he had the balls to tackle corruption(the alams thing proved me right!) BUT one thing i cant deny and what every RIGHT THINKING nigerian should be able to see is a determination on his part to steer this country forward.i can see him taking calculated steps to make this country better.yes he takes the stupidest decisions many times and yes he changes positions faster than a two kobo LovePeddler( apologies to gbawe) BUT his government TO ME appears to at least have a plan.the opposition should criticise but do it sensibly.to be honest with the kind of opposition i see now one is tempted to vote for the 'retardeen' in 2015 because i honestly cant see them doing better.
Rubbish. Nigeria is doomed if no president can deliver stable power during a short time. All it takes is strategic planning, hardwork and dedication not stup.id incorrect power maps. Also is it a president who supports corruption that you will vote for? Nigerians should do away with this backward type of reasoning.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Nobody: 8:28am On May 13, 2013
D clueless one keeps biting more than he can chew! Lil wonder he's choked!
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Capnd143(m): 8:35am On May 13, 2013
Eko Atlantic:

Sure you can, Japan of Africa....

Lwkm
blood boiling . . 100'degree celcius you are born "technologically handicapped by default thats why you are so inconfident on yourself, are your mates not manufacturing in japan, do the have two brains ,or perhaps your IQ is just too low for acquisition of technical know how! You impotent strategist! Bloody baggar! Enemy of the state! People like you should be executed for being a psychological nuisance and plotting to destabilize the country! I feel like strangeling you
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by phantom(m): 8:35am On May 13, 2013
BabaAlabi:
Rubbish. Nigeria is doomed if no president can deliver stable power during a short time. All it takes is strategic planning, hardwork and dedication not stup.id incorrect power maps. Also is it a president who supports corruption that you will vote for? Nigerians should do away with this backward type of reasoning.
obj was thinking exactly like you when he sank 16Billion dollars into power.we all know how that turned out.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by phantom(m): 8:37am On May 13, 2013
Capnd143: blood boiling . . 100'degree celcius you are born "technologically handicapped by default thats why you are so inconfident on yourself, are your mates not manufacturing in japan, do the have two brains ,or perhaps your IQ is just too low for acquisition of technical know how! You impotent strategist! Bloody baggar! Enemy of the state! People like you should be executed for being a psychological nuisance and plotting to destabilize the country! I feel like strangeling you
loool easy there cowboy!
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by CROWE: 8:39am On May 13, 2013
phantom: lol....If you think 'spending' is the problem, then you dont know jack about the the power problem in this country.

That doesn't mean anything. "spending" in itself cannot be a problem, it is just a word. Don't respond with sh1t that doesn't make any sense. I made it very clear that the presidents lack of focus and follow through on projects that he has already started is the problem and you respond by talking about spending, spending what. You just picked any word you liked from my statement and wrote jargon with it, seriously.

Policewoman: Anybody saying this is a misplaced priority na him or her sabi. GEJ may be slow but I will commend him when he needs to be commended and criticism when I see him do wrong. Some chronic oppositionists (sic) here will NEVER see anything right in this regime as long as their opposition party is not in power.

Nigeria is a federal republic with 37 people appointed to govern the nation, that is 4.6m people per governing body on average, we are moving at an unreasonably slow pace for those figures.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by phantom(m): 8:46am On May 13, 2013
Okay crowe forgive me but you said 'our president opens other avenues for spending resources'.what resources.please clarify. thanks
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by loswhite(m): 9:03am On May 13, 2013
Chibuebem: and they've already started doing that. On the roads, electricity.
it's true they have bin doin dat since 1986. Forgive us if we don't believe them
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by CROWE: 9:07am On May 13, 2013
phantom: Okay crowe forgive me but you said 'our president opens other avenues for spending resources'.what resources.please clarify. thanks

Time, human resources, money. I was simply elaborating here, the resources consumed are not the problem or the reason behind my disapproval of GEJ, it is the clear lack of dedication to projects that are already running.

See, the first time I said "I'd pay more attention to what I am already doing". you said that was vague so I expanded on it a little but that in a nutshell was the point I was making, instead of reading it all properly you ignored that altogether and started talking about spending resources simply because I used the word, it makes it difficult to have a decent argument if I cannot expect that you will bother to read what I am saying. Please, leave the words I use alone, try to understand what they mean in this context, thank you.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by badmrkt(m): 9:12am On May 13, 2013
If the yorubas think this is a misplaced priority, we in the niger delta region say no it's a welcome development,because it will be of great importants in the new Niger Delta Republic.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Heanry(m): 9:13am On May 13, 2013
Rossikk:

You cannot sustain ''electricity, roads, security'' in the absence of a robust economic environment featuring mass employment opportunities and expanded business activity. You can tackle infrastructural challenges at the same time as you are developing your industries. It doesn't have to be one before or after the other. Private sector involvement in the project also multiplies its chances of long-term viability, while limiting direct govt expenditure in the effort.
Thank you
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Dee60: 9:26am On May 13, 2013
homerac7: what was the purpose of Nigerdock?

Thank you o jare. With less than 2 years to go, oga had better focussed on solving the power and the security challenges, and also try to create enough accountability in government, by curbing corruption. If we go by feelers, the government is today perceived as encouraging corruption on a massive scale.

Please leave private sector to pursue its own projects. If the market prospects are good, you would not need to lecture private sector on investing in there, as they are already constantly sniffing around for opportunities.

May God give our president the wisdom to see clearly and to prioritize.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Dibiachukwu: 9:29am On May 13, 2013
Now this is good. Maybe they would give we Youths, an opportunity to submit and execute our ideas. made in Nigeria is always a good thing.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by CROWE: 9:29am On May 13, 2013
Rossikk:

You cannot sustain ''electricity, roads, security'' in the absence of a robust economic environment featuring mass employment opportunities and expanded business activity. You can tackle infrastructural challenges at the same time as you are developing your industries. It doesn't have to be one before or after the other. Private sector involvement in the project also multiplies its chances of long-term viability, while limiting direct govt expenditure in the effort.

The problem with you people is that anything that appears to give you an inch is welcome, if you want to go the whole 10 yards you need to skip a few of the inches and try to do things that give you more bang for your buck. That is to say that just like communism this sounds like a good idea but in practice we are not making any real headway.

There are 170 million people in Nigeria, do you think that building a shipyard that will employ maybe 5 to 10 thousand people aids them better than creating an enabling business environment for tens of millions of people to start their own businesses and employ even more. Is the president going to build all our offices and factories for us, do you think that when the history channel is airing "the men who built america" they show american presidents? The men who build america are people like Rockefeller and Ford. Then there is all that talking about national cake, we don't need the president to feed us, we need him to enable us to feed ourselves and that is the only way it works, that robust economy you speak of, it is built by working men and not presidents.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Dee60: 9:31am On May 13, 2013
When you read comments on NL sometimes you will be left with no option than to weep for Nigeria. Politicians are getting the better part of us now, by just TALKING about the dreams they had last night! We are told of one dream and people start jumping all over the place as if it had happened!

Where is the blueprint? Where will it be located? Which private sector? Where will they get the funds from? Is this a viable project in the first place?

We are forever being told of the foreign investors that are 'rushing' to Nigeria but we are yet to be told where their offices are and how many factories they have established to produce cars, furniture or even toothpicks! may be they are referring to Chinese 'investors' who come into Nigeria with Ten Thousand dollars and a pair of shorts and polo shirt but make enough rip-off to be able to repatriate One million dollars back to China after 2 years. Foreign investors indeed!

We are being fed with lies and grandiose dreams and people are dancing in the market, forgetting that they have not had light for 4 days and they dont even know where to find the next meal.

Soon, they will tell us to expect a mansion each in a new estate they plan to build on Atlantic Ocean!

What a pity? Until we learn to make our governments accountable, we will just be moving in circles.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by adelaja70(m): 11:07am On May 13, 2013
Na wa oh!...Guys dey fight over wetin dem never locate the site. But Jonathan na funny sha! Shipyard why not shiproom? I laff in ijaw!
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by Nobody: 11:17am On May 13, 2013
eko ilee:

And how do you get to robust economic environment without electricity? Is lack inadequate supply of electricity not the main factor responsible of the same lack of robust economic environment in Nigeria?

Inadequate supply Lack of electricity stunts economic growth and development so quit mismatching...
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by RickyRoss1(m): 11:27am On May 13, 2013
Capnd143: Eko ilee i always respected you, bt these fews days you have proved to be a negatively bias and unpatriotic national mistake, a waster siemen, sperm, egg and ovum! As daft as you may be you dont realise that most gunboats and some corvette of nigerian navy are manufactured in Nigeria! That most infantry weapons of nigerian army are manufatured by nigerians, that the best electric cables are nigerian made, even japanese and chinese versions stands no chance, IVM cars are manufactured in nigeria, take a work to calabar free trade zone for more you negativist!

Dont mind that hypocrite. He knows about Cutix cables and wires and all that, not that he doesnt know, but he will never say anything good about Nigeria. If it were any governor in the south west you would see him dancing azonto and calling other governors names. Truth is, GEJ is fixing most of the infrastructure which OBJ refused to fix. Aviation is being fixed, most of our highways are being fixed. Only a hypocrite would call Shipyard a misplaced priority. What about Eko Atlantic that is going to be for the rich only? Why didn't they tell Fashola to at least build good roads all over Lagos before building a mega city for corrupt politicians. Just check out any of those Eko Atlantic threads and see these hypocrites in action.

These are the same clowns that said no other governor is performing in Nigeria apart from south west governors. But since Amaeshi started having problems with GEJ these hypocrites have suddenly jumped ship and Amaechi has automatically become the second best governor in Nigeria after Fashola.
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by donfineboi: 11:39am On May 13, 2013
CROWÉ:

The problem with you people is that anything that appears to give you an inch is welcome, if you want to go the whole 10 yards you need to skip a few of the inches and try to do things that give you more bang for your buck. That is to say that just like communism this sounds like a good idea but in practice we are not making any real headway.

There are 170 million people in Nigeria, do you think that building a shipyard that will employ maybe 5 to 10 thousand people aids them better than creating an enabling business environment for tens of millions of people to start their own businesses and employ even more. Is the president going to build all our offices and factories for us, do you think that when the history channel is airing "the men who built america" they show american presidents? The men who build america are people like Rockefeller and Ford. Then there is all that talking about national cake, we don't need the president to feed us, we need him to enable us to feed ourselves and that is the only way it works, that robust economy you speak of, it is built by working men and not presidents.

It gladdens my heart when I come across very reasonable nigerians.....
Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by yeboyes: 12:12pm On May 13, 2013
[size=15pt]Ok ,For once i support Jonathan.This is a very GOOD move if they actually do it.I will suggest they bring in foreign experienced experts to "manage" the yard and open training schools to train Nigerians in the art of ship designing and building.

They should aim to build small speed boats, yachts and container ships.Rome was not built in day but if they hire credible and competent people the yard will boost Nigeria's economy.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Plans Shipyard To Boost Maritime Sector by PEREP: 12:27pm On May 13, 2013
Dee60: When you read comments on NL sometimes you will be left with no option than to weep for Nigeria. Politicians are getting the better part of us now, by just TALKING about the dreams they had last night! We are told of one dream and people start jumping all over the place as if it had happened!

Where is the blueprint? Where will it be located? Which private sector? Where will they get the funds from? Is this a viable project in the first place?

We are forever being told of the foreign investors that are 'rushing' to Nigeria but we are yet to be told where their offices are and how many factories they have established to produce cars, furniture or even toothpicks! may be they are referring to Chinese 'investors' who come into Nigeria with Ten Thousand dollars and a pair of shorts and polo shirt but make enough rip-off to be able to repatriate One million dollars back to China after 2 years. Foreign investors indeed!

We are being fed with lies and grandiose dreams and people are dancing in the market, forgetting that they have not had light for 4 days and they dont even know where to find the next meal.

Soon, they will tell us to expect a mansion each in a new estate they plan to build on Atlantic Ocean!

What a pity? Until we learn to make our governments accountable, we will just be moving in circles.

I know of Massive investment by the Chinese in Rail, I know of multiple companies in Power generation, I know of the new plastic plant at Agbara (The biggest in Africa) and I know of the new plant for Steel rolling among many others.
Just look through the Nigerian economy and tell me where this government have not touched in the last two years. If all of these efforts are sustained which I am sure will be sustained, then we are closer than we started two years ago.
In my Opinion, Mr President is not the best of a POLITICIAN and for the first time we are having a President elected without an existing Dynasty by Family background or Militia Experience which made it a bit difficult to have the required support. He has few MIGHTY enemies and unfortunately we have allowed them to see ONLY His negative sides thereby blocking the immense Good/Potential of this government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aregbesola's Camp Drags Buni, Others To Court Over APC Congress / APC reacts At Ohaneze’s Endorsement Of Atiku, Anti-igbo / President Tinubu Will Decide New Date For National Population & Housing Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.