Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 (48852 Views)

UCL: Benfica Vs Barcelona (0 - 2) On Tuesday October-2-2012 / UCL: Benfica Vs Chelsea (0 - 1) On 27th March 2012 / UCL: Benfica Vs Man Utd (1 - 1) On 14th September 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 15, 2013
AND I'M OUT! cool
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by RedLight1: 11:30pm On May 15, 2013
hornipipe: stop discussing football if you feel history isn't part of the game, enough said. undecided
we are talking abt relevant teams in today's football.. If u want to talk abt history, go and look for nottingham forest fan.. cool atleast both teams have good records in europe but nobody gives a rat az.zz abt them anymore
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:30pm On May 15, 2013
hornipipe: stop discussing football if you feel history isn't part of the game, enough said. undecided

Trophies are won to build History, just like what Chelsea did today. A Billionaire bought Nottingham Forrest because of their history. History matters and that signifies greatness. Like what SAF did for Man Utd.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:32pm On May 15, 2013
hornipipe: you guys didn't give him enough game time, simple.

Chelsea gave him everything but he just doesn't have what it takes at the top level... Hence why we replaced his arrogant ar.se with Victor Moses..

I dunno, I just never liked his style of play... He's another Darren Bent.. grin
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:32pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

He scored a lot of goals for Bolton last season as well but flopped on the big stage with Chelsea.. There's nothing world-class about him. He's just another left-footed Darren Bent. undecided undecided

He clearly has the potential. Scored lots for Chelsea even though he wasn't played regularly and played off position. I guess you were one of those who wrote off Lukaku when he joined Chelsea. Potential is everything, it just takes the right coach and position to unlock it. Sturridge clearly has the potential. wink

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:33pm On May 15, 2013
Mikel is a solid DM!

2 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:34pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

Chelsea gave him everything but he just doesn't have what it takes at the top level... Hence why we replaced his arrogant ar.se with Victor Moses..

I dunno, I just never liked his style of play... He's another Darren Bent.. grin

Moses is a winger and he is a point man. How can you say you gave him everything, when he wasn't a regular because of the 50 Million pound striker and Drogba.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

Trophies are won to build History, just like what Chelsea did today. A Billionaire bought Nottingham Forrest because of their history. History matters and that signifies greatness. Like what SAF did for Man Utd.
you're indeed an intelligent man! Respect cool

2 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:36pm On May 15, 2013
CFCfan: Mikel is a solid DM!

It is high time Mikel sorts himself out. He needs to bring more to his game and find a way to play in a more advanced role. I wonder whether he doesn't see that Pastore has a similar build and play to his game. Yet Pastore always gets involved, sprays passes and takes accurate shots.

Mikel should hit the training pitch and start working on his shooting.

2 Likes

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

Moses is a winger and he is a point man. How can you say you gave him everything, when he wasn't a regular because of the 50 Million pound striker and Drogba.

Moses isn't a winger - he's a versatile player and he can play all the attacking positions. Moses played as a striker at Crystal Palace before Chelsea bought him and he adjusted his game to fit in.

We gave the sulking Sturridge the same opportunity but he flopped - good riddance. grin
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:38pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

Moses isn't a winger - he's a versatile player and he can play all the attacking positions. Moses played as a striker at Crystal Palace before Chelsea bought him and he adjusted his game to fit in.

We gave the sulking Sturridge the same opportunity but he flopped - good riddance. grin

Was Moses ever a Point Man. Sturride is a point man like Defoe and Suarez. Moses isn't that kind of player.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by BodyKiss(m): 11:38pm On May 15, 2013
CFC - Chelsea Fluke Club
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

He clearly has the potential. Scored lots for Chelsea even though he wasn't played regularly and played off position. I guess you were one of those who wrote off Lukaku when he joined Chelsea. Potential is everything, it just takes the right coach and position to unlock it. Sturridge clearly has the potential. wink

You can't compare Lukaku to Sturridge - Lukaku was born to score goals!
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

Was Moses ever a Point Man. Sturride is a point man like Defoe and Suarez. Moses isn't that kind of player.

Yes, he was at Crystal Palace.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

bent is overrated sturridge isn't. wink

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 15, 2013
hornipipe: bent is overrated sturridge isn't. wink

I'd say Bent's more of a finisher than Sturridge, to be honest. grin
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:42pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

You can't compare Lukaku to Sturridge - Lukaku was born to score goals!

If it was using his time at Chelsea, you would have called Lukaku a flop. Most Chelsea fans called him a flop. With the way you are calling Sturridge a flop, I guess you also did.

Now he is shinning at West Brom, you are now saying born to score goals.

Watch Borini and Sturridge take Liverpool by storm next season. You guys don't know what you lost, we City fans know we lost a talent in Sturridge.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by tricosite(m): 11:43pm On May 15, 2013
Chelsea became the first side to hold the Champions League and Europa League titles simultaneously as Branislav Ivanovic's stoppage-time header earned victory over Benfica in Amsterdam

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:43pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

It is high time Mikel sorts himself out. He needs to bring more to his game and find a way to play in a more advanced role. I wonder whether he doesn't see that Pastore has a similar build and play to his game. Yet Pastore always gets involved, sprays passes and takes accurate shots.

Mikel should hit the training pitch and start working on his shooting.

Agreed on the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
If it was using his time at Chelsea, you would have called him a flop. Most Chelsea fans called him a flop. With the way you are calling Sturridge a flop, I guess you also did.

Now he is shinning at West Brom, you are now saying born to score goals.

Watch Borini and Sturridge take Liverpool by storm next season. You guys don't know what you lost, we City fans know we lost a talent in Sturridge.

How can you call Lukaku a flop? - the guy is just 17/18, he still has a long career ahead of him... I've always believed in Lukaku and he's the natural replacement for Didier Drogba...

Borini and Sturridge = Darren Bent and Agbonlahor... grin They're taking Liverpool to the bottom of the league... grin
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:47pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

Yes, he was at Crystal Palace.

I just checked Moses Wiki page, he has played mostly as a winger all his life. Sturridge is a point man and has played as a point man all his life. Just like Lukaku and Borini, Sturridge left because of no chance to play their normal role. It is not that he flopped.

Even Anelka couldn't get enough games at Chelsea.

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:50pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

How can you call Lukaku a flop? - the guy is just 17/18, he still has a long career ahead of him... I've always believed in Lukaku and he's the natural replacement for Didier Drogba...

Borini and Sturridge = Darren Bent and Agbonlahor... grin They're taking Liverpool to the bottom of the league... grin

When Lukaku came to Chelsea, many didn't know what he was worth. Those who really believed in Lukaku were those who watched him play at Belgium or watched his debut against Ajax. I being one of them.

I didn't call him a flop. I said many of Chelsea fans I know called him a flop.

I used to convince them that he is a great player being played off position. All I would like to know, what convinced you that he was good. Did you watch him play at Belgium or any of his Europa Games?

His games at Chelsea were poor because he was playing off position.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:51pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
I just checked Moses Wiki page, he has played mostly as a winger all his life. Sturridge is a point man and has played as a point man all his life. Just like Lukaku and Borini, Sturridge left because of no chance to play their normal role. It is not that he flopped.

Even Anelka couldn't get enough games at Chelsea.

He played everywhere at Crystal Palace but mostly as a striker. There's nothing point man-ish in Sturridge's game - the guy is poor in-front of goal.

You mean the same Anelka that can't shoot the ball to save his life? Anelka's career ended when he left Arsenal, there's no point bringing him into the debate.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by AndreUweh(m): 11:54pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

Did we give Sturridge a central position upfront?.

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 15, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
When Lukaku came to Chelsea, many didn't know what he was worth. Those who really believed in Lukaku were those who watched him play at Belgium or watched his debut against Ajax. I being one of them.

I didn't call him a flop. I said many of Chelsea fans I know called him a flop.

I used to convince them that he is a great player being played off position. All I would like to know, what convinced you that he was good. Did you watch him play at Belgium or any of his Europa Games?

His games at Chelsea were poor because he was playing off position.

I saw some his games at Anderlecht before he joined Chelsea and I've never doubted his talents.

I honestly don't think Chelsea played him out of position, Villas Boas just didn't give him enough chance to shine. I doubt he has started any game for Chelsea...
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:56pm On May 15, 2013
jimcaddy: What do I expect Chelsea fans to say. Obviously wallowing in unexpected happiness. Remember when you all wanted Mr. Benitez out? Now u finished the season strong, you are excited about Mourinho..
I think Mourinho is the only coach made for Chelsea, as no other manager can manage Chelsea FC other than Jose. The same Benitez u all never wanted has brought home an European trophy. Let's see what Mourinho would deliver by spending millions again next season. Mourinho NEVER wins without spending.
You are not making sense. Your points are all over the place. Get yourself together. Gaddemit.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:56pm On May 15, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Did we give Sturridge a central position upfront?.

He played upfront by himself a few times and fired blank!
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:58pm On May 15, 2013
shymexx:

He played everywhere at Crystal Palace but mostly as a striker. There's nothing point man-ish in Sturridge's game - the guy is poor in-front of goal.

You mean the same Anelka that can't shoot the ball to save his life? Anelka's career ended when he left Arsenal, there's no point bringing him into the debate.

Please go and check again. Sturridge scored his first Hat trick in his career last week. That tells you he is growing. He is playing as a top striker along Suarez at Liverpool.

By the way do you think Chelsea signed Anelka because he couldn't shoot to save his life? Anelka rediscovered himself I think at Fernebahce and Chelsea came knocking. Remember at Chelsea, Anelka won the golden boot when Ancelotti gave him a run at Chelsea. A Chelsea fan like you should have known that.

It is all about playing the right position and giving the right opportunity. Look at Matic today at Benfica. He couldn't even get on the bench at Chelsea. Today, many teams in Europe want him.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:04am On May 16, 2013
shymexx:

I saw some his games at Anderlecht before he joined Chelsea and I've never doubted his talents.

I honestly don't think Chelsea played him out of position, Villas Boas just didn't give him enough chance to shine. I doubt he has started any game for Chelsea...

If you saw some of his Anderlecht games, then I can give you a break. I watched all Lukaku games for Chelsea and he never played as a top striker under Boas or Di Matteo. There was just no room for him with Drogba, Anelka, Torres and Kalou fighting for Position.

No doubt Lukaku is great and I hope Chelsea gives him another year at West Brom. There was no need signing Ba, instead Lukaku should have been called back. Now that Ba is at Chelsea, Lukaku should be left at West Brom.

Finally Lukaku rejecting his Champions League Medal last season (saying he didn't play much games to deserve a medal) was amazing. He believes he has what it takes to win medals.
Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by Nobody: 12:06am On May 16, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
Please go and check again. Sturridge scored his first Hat trick in his career last week. That tells you he is growing. He is playing as a top striker along Suarez at Liverpool.

By the way do you think Chelsea signed Anelka because he couldn't shoot to save his life? Anelka rediscovered himself I think at Fernebahce and Chelsea came knocking. Remember at Chelsea, Anelka won the golden boot when Ancelotti gave him a run at Chelsea. A Chelsea fan like you should have known that.

It is all about playing the right position and giving the right opportunity. Look at Matic today at Benfica. He couldn't even get on the bench at Chelsea. Today, many teams in Europe want him.

Darren Bent and Agbonlahor have scored a few hat-tricks. However, that doesn't mean they aren't average players. Sturridge just don't have what it takes, if he did, he should be a regular with the Three Lions right now.

Anelka won the golden boot because he was able to get a lot of tap-ins and easy goals. However, that doesn't change the fact that he can't shoot to save his life. How many times did that guy pass the ball to the GK? Heck, the guy missed a penalty at the Champions League finals - that was how useless he was... grin

Matic couldn't get into the Chelsea team back then because we had Lampard and Essien playing the best games of their careers. There was no way we would have replaced either of them with Matic.

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:07am On May 16, 2013
I think I should use this time to say that the work Emenalo has done at Chelsea has been amazing. I think Roman picked the right man to be his eyes on the team. The players coming in and the coach selections have been superb.

I think this success is also his as much as it is the players, Coaches, Working Staffs, fans and Abrahamovic.

Congrats to Emenalo. I think I will stop here because I am not a La Blues fan.

Let me start thinking of my CITIZENS come next season. wink

1 Like

Re: Benfica Vs Chelsea: Europa League Final - (1 - 2) - On 15th May 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:12am On May 16, 2013
shymexx:

Darren Bent and Agbonlahor have scored a few hat-tricks. However, that doesn't mean they aren't average players. Sturridge just don't have what it takes, if he did, he should be a regular with the Three Lions right now.

Anelka won the golden boot because he was able to get a lot of tap-ins and easy goals. However, that doesn't change the fact that he can't shoot to save his life. How many times did that guy pass the ball to the GK? Heck, the guy missed a penalty at the Champions League finals - that was how useless he was... grin

Matic couldn't get into the Chelsea team back then because we had Lampard and Essien playing the best games of their careers. There was no way we could have replaced either of them with Matic.

I wonder what is your point. Sturridge is going to be great. He has made Liverpool not miss Suarez due to his ban. That is not an average player. He is 23, he did well at Bolton before he was brought back to Chelsea and played off position.

As for Anelka, he did well at Turkey, which made Chelsea buy him. Roberto Baggio missed a penal at the World Cup final, does that make him a poor player?

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

West Ham Vs Chelsea (2 - 1) On 24th October 2015 / Arsenal Vs Manchester United: FA Cup (1 - 3) On 25th January 2019 / Chelsea Vs PSG: UCL (1 - 2) On 9th March 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.