Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? (2037 Views)

'Pastor' Caught Burying Charm In Abia Ahead Of Crusade (Photos) / Why Is Pastor Adeboye Visiting Governors With Mandates Challenged In Court? / Why Do We Have Muslim Forum But We Dont Have Christian Forum On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 13, 2013
Will a muslim governor ever be allowed to govern these states?

Let us know what y'all think.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 13, 2013
girliegal: Will a muslim governor ever be allowed to govern these states?

Let us know what y'all think.
yes, if millitary takes over and appoints one to be the governor

3 Likes

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Itoroetti(m): 10:13pm On May 13, 2013
chidindufrank: yes, if millitary takes over and appoints one to be the governor
I guess they might have had one during military era.
Sule ahman was a governor of enugu state between 96-98 and was a muslim
Same with Adekunle lawal in imo state-77-78
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by OsunOriginal: 12:00am On May 14, 2013
we are talking about the people of those states eschewing religious bigotry and voting for a muslim contestant.

1 Like

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Afam4eva(m): 12:09am On May 14, 2013
OsunOriginal: we are talking about the people of those states eschewing religious bigotry and voting for a muslim contestant.
No Muslims has ever contested to become governors of these states.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 12:26am On May 14, 2013
Bigotry won't let it happen in the East. I heard they have Muslims among them but it doesn't matter who rules as long as the person have people's oriented agenda.

1 Like

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by georjay(m): 1:13am On May 14, 2013
hummmm the answer will be yes if a christian can become governor in sokoto, yobe, zamfara, borno, kebbi states
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 1:22am On May 14, 2013
georjay: hummmm the answer will be yes if a christian can become governor in sokoto, yobe, zamfara, borno, kebbi states

It won't happen in the North for a Christian to become a Governor. In that case, Yoruba is the only tribe that accomodates everyone regardless of your religion. We've had Christians and Muslims as Governors in Southwest. God bless Yorubas for their tolerance! They are the true Nigerians as we know it.

5 Likes

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 2:38am On May 14, 2013
payless:

It won't happen in the North for a Christian to become a Governor. In that case, Yoruba is the only tribe that accomodates everyone regardless of your religion. We've had Christians and Muslims as Governors in Southwest. God bless Yorubas for their tolerance! They are the true Nigerians as we know it.

Yorubas have significant numbers of both Christians and Muslims (almost evenly split), so this doesn't say much.

As opposed to the highly muslim "Core North" and majority Christian South East.

With that out of the way....a more apt test of tolerance in the SW would be to ask if a Non-Yoruba can hold office.

2 Likes

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 2:56am On May 14, 2013
nnenna.1:

Yorubas have significant numbers of both Christians and Muslims (almost evenly split), so this doesn't say much.

As opposed to the highly muslim "Core North" and majority Christian South East.

With that out of the way....a more apt test of tolerance in the SW would be to ask if a Non-Yoruba can hold office.
Yorubas are so tolerant that Igbos and Hausa would be allowed to contest in SW if they have something to offer and ready to campaign for it. Yorubas are not blinded by religion or ethnicity. Don't forget it was Yorubas who mostly fought for Jonathan when Yar'adua was sick and eventually died. But now we are being called bad names for pointing out failures in Jonathan's administration. We value everyone and believe everyone is unique. But don't take Yorubas openess for stupidity. It was Yorubas who mostly fought Abacha regime. Obasanjo's nightmares were Yorubas (Gani Fawehinmi, Falana, Falae and co). Yorubas stand for good governance whether the President or Governor is Ijaw, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Efik....

4 Likes

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by nabiz(m): 3:07am On May 14, 2013
Are u trying to teill us that lagos is a muslim state?
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:12am On May 14, 2013
nabiz: Are u trying to teill us that lagos is a muslim state?
Never! Lagos has no religious identity. It is a melting port.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 3:12am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: Yorubas are so tolerant that Igbos and Hausa would be allowed to contest in SW if they have something to offer and ready to campaign for it. Yorubas are not blinded by religion or ethnicity. Don't forget it was Yorubas who mostly fought for Jonathan when Yar'adua was sick and eventually died. But now we are being called bad names for pointing out failures in Jonathan's administration. We value everyone and believe everyone is unique. But don't take Yorubas openess for stupidity. It was Yorubas who mostly fought Abacha regime. Obasanjo's nightmares were Yorubas (Gani Fawehinmi, Falana, Falae and co). Yorubas stand for good governance whether the President or Governor is Ijaw, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Efik....

The bolded is not adequately supported by the rest of your paragraph.

Why? Because there is nothing you describe that cannot be applied to other ethnic groups. Several ethnic groups have and will vote for presidents from other groups if promise is present.

We are talking about something much more localized.

I am yet to see any indication that a Non-Yoruba can win governorship in a SW state.

Where you are likely to find personalities of diverse backgrounds ruling are in the heterogeneous states such as Delta, Rivers, some parts of the Middle-Belt, etc.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by PREMIERYORUBA: 3:16am On May 14, 2013
i think they have a more pressing political problem than the one raised here and that is, will an osu person ever become Governor of eastern states?

1 Like

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 3:19am On May 14, 2013
When I think of it, I don't think that South Easterners will have a problem with an Igbo Muslim being governor. You would think so, but I think state of origin, ethnic roots, etc come first.

I have heard that a considerable number of Igbo Muslims are present in Ebonyi State, for instance.

Ditto for Northern (i.e. Hausa-Fulani) Christians.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:20am On May 14, 2013
nnenna.1:

The bolded is not adequately supported by the rest of your paragraph.

Why? Because there is nothing you describe that cannot be applied to other ethnic groups. Several ethnic groups have and will vote for presidents from other groups if promise is present.

We are talking about something much more localized.

I am yet to see any indication that a Non-Yoruba can win governorship in a SW state.

Where you are likely to find personalities of diverse backgrounds ruling are in the heterogeneous states such as Delta, Rivers, some parts of the Middle-Belt, etc.
No one is preventing them from contesting. I hope you are not thinking they should be handed an elective offices without election. Some SE believe someone should just let them rule but it is not possible. You have to beat everyone else. Mind you, there is an Igbo commissioner(Nwabueze) serving in Fashola's governmeent. That couldn't have happened in Anambra or anywhere in SE.

3 Likes

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:24am On May 14, 2013
nnenna.1:
When I think of it, I don't think that South Easterners will have a problem with an Igbo Muslim being governor. You would think so, but I think state of origin, ethnic roots, etc come first.

I have heard that a considerable number of Igbo Muslims are present in Ebonyi State, for instance.

Ditto for Northern (i.e. Hausa-Fulani) Christians.
Igbos and Hausas are not tolerance when it comes to religion. It just not right to do that in a secular state as Nigeria.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 3:28am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: No one is preventing them from contesting. I hope you are not thinking they should be handed an elective offices without election. Some SE believe someone should just let them rule but it is not possible. You have to beat everyone else. Mind you, there is an Igbo commissioner(Nwabueze) serving in Fashola's governmeent. That couldn't have happened in Anambra or anywhere in SE.

There have been public officers of other ethnic extractions in the SE. Besides, Lagos is a highly heterogeneous state now (due to migration). Some "token" appointments are to be expected.

Although we are talking about governorship, which (for even Lagos) is a stretch.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 3:31am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: Igbos and Hausas are not tolerance when it comes to religion. It just not right to do that in a secular state as Nigeria.

Can you show where Igbos have attacked others based on their religion in Igboland?
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 3:33am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: No one is preventing them from contesting. I hope you are not thinking they should be handed an elective offices without election. Some SE believe someone should just let them rule but it is not possible. You have to beat everyone else. Mind you, there is an Igbo commissioner(Nwabueze) serving in Fashola's governmeent. That couldn't have happened in Anambra or anywhere in SE.

Before Nwabueze dreamt of becoming an official in Lagos, a Yoruba had been in Enugu and also in Abia

Please google Festus Adedayo and Enugu State. This happened between 1998 and 2007.

Also a man from Edo was a high ranking govt official in Imo State during the regime of Ohakim

1 Like

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:35am On May 14, 2013
nnenna.1:

There have been public officers of other ethnic extractions in the SE. Besides, Lagos is a highly heterogeneous state now (due to migration). Some "token" appointments are to be expected.

Although we are talking about governorship, which (for even Lagos) is a stretch.
Token appointment? Post of a commissioner is not a bad start for someone who is of different tribe. Those public officials who served in the SE area were sent there by military regime. The apointment of an Igbo man as a commissioner that you called "token" wouldn't happen any where in SE.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:38am On May 14, 2013
nnenna.1:

Token appointment? Post of a commissioner is not a bad start for someone who is of different tribe. Those public officials who served in the SE area were sent there by military regime. The apointment of an Igbo man as a commissioner that you called "token" wouldn't have happened any where in SE.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 3:39am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: Token appointment? Post of a commissioner is not a bad start for someone who is of different tribe. Those public officials who served in the SE area were sent there by military regime. The apointment of an Igbo man as a commissioner that you called "token" wouldn't have happened any where in SE.

Festus adedayo from Oyo State was appoint chief press secretary (CPS) (cabinet position) by Nnamani of Enugu
Orji Kalu also did same

First as Special Assistant
http://allafrica.com/stories/200505310205.html

http://www.ebeano.org/articles/Enugu_testimony.html

And then CPS
http://www.dawodu.com/enugu6.htm
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Nobody: 3:40am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: Igbos and Hausas are not tolerance when it comes to religion. It just not right to do that in a secular state as Nigeria.

They don't seem as tolerant to opposing religions because, for them, those religions have come to be associated with arch-rival ethnic groups. Couple this with how homogeneous religion is in the SE and Core North.

When Igbos think Muslim, they actually think of Hausa-Fulanis.
When Hausa-Fulanis think Christian, they are actually thinking of Igbos.

Dig deeper and you will see that this is actually the root of the matter.

This is unlike the Yorubas who have had Christianity and Islam equally ingrained in their collective psyche and culture, and thus do not see as much "tribal" connotation along those lines.

I still maintain that exceptions will be made for an Igbo Muslim in the SE, as well as an Hausa-Fulani Christian in the North.

Especially if the interests of the people are clarified and communicated
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:41am On May 14, 2013
Adejoro74:

Before Nwabueze dreamt of becoming an official in Lagos, a Yoruba had been in Enugu and also in Abia

Please google Festus Adedayo and Enugu State. This happened between 1998 and 2007.

Also a man from Edo was a high ranking govt official in Imo State during the regime of Ohakim
I have to check on that. If true, that's fantstic gesture.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 3:43am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: I have to check on that. If true, that's fantstic gesture.

Check my links above. These happen way before Nwabueze
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 3:45am On May 14, 2013
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:46am On May 14, 2013
nnenna.1:

They don't seem as tolerant to opposing religions because, for them, those religions have come to be associated with arch-rival ethnic groups. Couple this with how homogeneous religion is in the SE and Core North.

When Igbos think Muslim, they actually think of Hausa-Fulanis.
When Hausa-Fulanis think Christian, they are actually thinking of Igbos.

Dig deeper and you will see that this is actually the root of the matter.

This is unlike the Yorubas who have had Christianity and Islam equally ingrained in their collective psyche and culture, and thus do not see as much "tribal" connotation along those lines.

I still maintain that exceptions will be made for an Igbo Muslim in the SE, as well as an Hausa-Fulani Christian in the North.

Especially if the interests of the people are clarified and communicated
For whatever reason, you are so different from other Igbos with the way you communicate. I like the level of your maturiy. You are highly intelligent too.

1 Like

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 3:49am On May 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: For whatever reason, you are so different from other Igbos with the way you communicate. I like the level of your maturiy. You are highly intelligent too.

That's a myopic comment. How many Igbos do you know?

2 Likes

Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by automaticcarzz: 3:57am On May 14, 2013
[quote author=Adejoro74]

That's a myopic comment. How many Igbos do you know?[/quote. A lof of Igbos. My first girlfriend in New Jersey was an Imo girl but na story for another day. I just can't stand people who are intolerant; Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa. I rarely see and Igbo on nairaland who respects others. It is all about attacks and insults about other tribes. I know some Yorubas who are also bigots but not on the same level.
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 4:01am On May 14, 2013
[quote author=automaticcarzz][/quote]

Can you now recant your ignorant claim that non-Igbos cannot be in govt in Igboland?
Re: Will Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi And Enugu Ever Have Muslim Governors? by Adejoro74: 4:03am On May 14, 2013
[quote author=automaticcarzz][/quote]

No other ethnic group in Nigeria is as insulting as Yorubas. You know an Igbo girl and a few other Igbos, but I lived and grew up among Yorubas and know them like the palm of my hands. Have you been to Igboland where Igbos concentrate?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Most Beautiful Church In Azia Ihiala Lga Anambra State / Paul And His Loud Silence On The Virgin Birth. / Apostle Chinyere Gifts Pastor Bullet Proof Jeep (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.