Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,652 members, 7,840,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen (9066 Views)

Police Confirms Incidents Of Herdsmen Attack In Rivers State / SARAKI: Code of Conduct Tribunal Refuses Entry Of Journalists Into Its Premises / Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by wumsgreen(f): 9:44am On May 14, 2013
Ook let  how dis is implemented
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Otono2(m): 9:46am On May 14, 2013
omonuan: We need not celebrate this convenient ban. There are less restrictive ways of controlling the menacing Fulani. Outright ban is an extreme measure. Should we allow this trend to continue, some states may ban Igbo traders for being potentially too exploitative or for the possibility of selling "fake drugs." The Ijaws could be banned from entering some states because they introduced kidnapping in Nigeria. There is no limit to the mischief and abuse that xenophobic states could use against people they don't like.

This is a dangerous and slippery slope. I am sure there are many more law abiding Fulani that do business than the criminal elements in Delta. Furthermore, the SSG is not a law maker, there is no law on the books that says Fulani herdsmen should not enter Delta and there shouldn't be such law.

A less restrictive way could be registration and or licensing or a form of identification would suffice. As it is now, there is no rational basis for the hysteria against Fulani "herdsmen." No law abiding Nigerian should have his rights infringed or abridged because of irrational fear that some of his people are criminals. There are criminals in every tribe. Moreover, there is no scintilla of evidence that the armed robbers were "Fulani herdsmen" and not ordinary criminals of Fulani extraction.

This ban is pyrrhic because there is no way to enforce it. How do you keep track of "new Fulani herdsmen?" Does Delta state know who comes into the state? The state does not even have a database of natives much less non indigenes. Is the state going to hound every Fulani looking person to find out if he is a menacing "herdsmen."

Which tribe is next? My Igbo brothers from Onitsha who raid the twin city of Asaba to kidnap or for robbery could engender similar ban of non Delta Igbo from coming to Asaba. We need to be careful!
y not open ur door wide open 4 fulani herdmens? Oga spokes man
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Nobody: 9:49am On May 14, 2013
So if dem nor Rob the SSG before nothing for happen? God help the common man.

1 Like

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Otono2(m): 9:51am On May 14, 2013
Austine.E:

...i didnt want to respond to your comment but i think we must take a holistic look at it,agreed Nigeria is a free and secular nation were freedom of movement and association is garanteed!talking about xenophobia,we all know that in our recent past some states e.g Lagos state deported some Nigerians to their various states for constituting nuisances to the state and i guess,that wasn't discriminately because it was by an opposition party state....then we ve also had states who woke up one morning and declared sharia in a country assumed to be secular!by this action,states like Zamfara made islam a state religion,state money were used to build mosque,sponsor muslim clerics,create the state Hibah(security)board and financed with state money,in a supposedly secular nation.As a christian from the south or elsewhere,i can no longer freely drink my beer,or a lady freely putting on her smart trousers to work etc..i think this is more xenophobic than the ban on new cattlemen entering delta state,where the molest,kill and plunder!i also wldnt want to talk about the Mullah that runs our apex bank,who went ahead to introduce islamic banking in a secular nation inspite of opposition from Nigerian christians!Delta state has the absolute right to protect life and properties of it citizens in the state.
God bless u sir 4 dis beautiful write up.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by DonaldGenes(m): 9:59am On May 14, 2013
okosodo: Its good news, Edo should follow
oh boy those mad cows dey shhhhiiit for ph so teh i don tire to dey match am esp in the night time
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Ozonna(m): 10:04am On May 14, 2013
These fulani herdsmen don't pay taxes neither do they pay for grazing land. Uncontrolled Animal grazing should be stopped by state Governments that really have the interest of its citizens at heart and the Fulani should be made to pay for land (in other words Ranch). With this it will be easier for State and Local Government officials to collect Tax from them and also stop frequent unending bloodshed between Fulani herdsmen and host communities who are usually farmers.

Kudos to Gov Uduaghan

1 Like

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by blackbeau1(f): 10:06am On May 14, 2013
delta state governor should chase them back to the north where they belong. how can they leave their states to another state ,only to make life difficult for the citizens? infact all the southern tates should follow suit.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Nobody: 10:07am On May 14, 2013
What a joke, this people don't think before they act. Delta state is already flooded with them too far for this ban to make any sense.

Northerners now dig our wells, push wheel-barrow, amend clothes(ojogun), clear grass, sell cooked red meat, cobbler and every other form of manual labour. They already have enough people on ground to attack if they choose to.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by otokx(m): 10:24am On May 14, 2013
Another publicity stunt, they should give an order prohibiting movement of cattle by land, if they must come then it should be via trailers.

1 Like

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Bawss1(m): 10:32am On May 14, 2013
Typical

Trust Nigerians to celebrate this knee jerk reaction without fully appreciating its consequences. Because many such bans have been proposed by different parties in the past doesn't make this one right. Omunuan has rightly said that this action is open to abuse and does little in dealing with the problem it was mean't to solve yet somehow because many people here seem to be myopic and hot-blooded such considerations will fly right above their heads. Until we have policy makers, leaders and followers who are forward thinking such measures will continue to be proposed and yet will do nothing to improve the situation.

3 Likes

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Nascimento(m): 10:39am On May 14, 2013
omonuan: We need not celebrate this convenient ban. There are less restrictive ways of controlling the menacing Fulani. Outright ban is an extreme measure. Should we allow this trend to continue, some states may ban Igbo traders for being potentially too exploitative or for the possibility of selling "fake drugs." The Ijaws could be banned from entering some states because they introduced kidnapping in Nigeria. There is no limit to the mischief and abuse that xenophobic states could use against people they don't like.

This is a dangerous and slippery slope. I am sure there are many more law abiding Fulani that do business than the criminal elements in Delta. Furthermore, the SSG is not a law maker, there is no law on the books that says Fulani herdsmen should not enter Delta and there shouldn't be such law.

A less restrictive way could be registration and or licensing or a form of identification would suffice. As it is now, there is no rational basis for the hysteria against Fulani "herdsmen." No law abiding Nigerian should have his rights infringed or abridged because of irrational fear that some of his people are criminals. There are criminals in every tribe. Moreover, there is no scintilla of evidence that the armed robbers were "Fulani herdsmen" and not ordinary criminals of Fulani extraction.

This ban is pyrrhic because there is no way to enforce it. How do you keep track of "new Fulani herdsmen?" Does Delta state know who comes into the state? The state does not even have a database of natives much less non indigenes. Is the state going to hound every Fulani looking person to find out if he is a menacing "herdsmen."

Which tribe is next? My Igbo brothers from Onitsha who raid the twin city of Asaba to kidnap or for robbery could engender similar ban of non Delta Igbo from coming to Asaba. We need to be careful!

My guy when making a statement please be constructive. From our recent history Nigeria has never been one United nation. I believe you have heard about fulani herdsmen activities in jos and other places. I was a victim, and my dad was almost killed along ogwachi uku road. I need no glasses to identify them.
Granted not all fulani herdsmen are bad, but in light of the recent security challenges, delta state took the right decision. If there is no proper means of checking them, then ban is good for the love of life.
And about igbos, and u laugh. Your comparison is so inappropriate. I guess you've forgotten about the biafra pogrom of the civil war. Awolowo and gowon wanted to annahilate them (ibos). So you see, be constructive when talking about national matters.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by AnanseK(m): 10:47am On May 14, 2013
[quote author=djustice][/quote]

Meanwhile, the arindin houseboy governors in the southwest follow Buhari the Fulani butcher, like the mumu lambs that they are, to the slaughter slab with their foolish owner, Bola Tinubu.

Actually, what should be banned throughout the middlebelt and the south is this nomadic herding of cattle. Immediately!!
[quote author=djustice]

And you can buy your beef from Brazil. Imagine somebody who cannot do without cow leg and even donkeys from the north and from Niger Republic are now finishing because of your craving for meat and you can never even rear a goat, your civilization never reached domesticating and rearing animals before the whiteman came.!!
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Bawss1(m): 10:50am On May 14, 2013
Nascimento:

My guy when making a statement please be constructive. From our recent history Nigeria has never been one United nation. I believe you have heard about fulani herdsmen activities in jos and other places. I was a victim, and my dad was almost killed along ogwachi uku road. I need no glasses to identify them.
Granted not all fulani herdsmen are bad, but in light of the recent security challenges, delta state took the right decision. If there is no proper means of checking them, then ban is good for the love of life.
And about igbos, and u laugh. Your comparison is so inappropriate. I guess you've forgotten about the biafra pogrom of the civil war. Awolowo and gowon wanted to annahilate them (ibos). So you see, be constructive when talking about national matters.

Where is the constructiveness in your post? For starters how will this ban - which has no legal backing therefore is illegal - be enforced?

2 Likes

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by just2endowed: 10:54am On May 14, 2013
That's it. Well said. They don't know there sharia never promote secular state

Where is the constructiveness in your post? For starters how will this ban - which has no legal backing therefore is illegal - be enforced? [/quote]
Austine.E:

...i didnt want to respond to your comment but i think we must take a holistic look at it,agreed Nigeria is a free and secular nation were freedom of movement and association is garanteed!talking about xenophobia,we all know that in our recent past some states e.g Lagos state deported some Nigerians to their various states for constituting nuisances to the state and i guess,that wasn't discriminately because it was by an opposition party state....then we ve also had states who woke up one morning and declared sharia in a country assumed to be secular!by this action,states like Zamfara made islam a state religion,state money were used to build mosque,sponsor muslim clerics,create the state Hibah(security)board and financed with state money,in a supposedly secular nation.As a christian from the south or elsewhere,i can no longer freely drink my beer,or a lady freely putting on her smart trousers to work etc..i think this is more xenophobic than the ban on new cattlemen entering delta state,where the molest,kill and plunder!i also wldnt want to talk about the Mullah that runs our apex bank,who went ahead to introduce islamic banking in a secular nation inspite of opposition from Nigerian christians!Delta state has the absolute right to protect life and properties of it citizens in the state.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by just2endowed: 10:56am On May 14, 2013
Bawss1: Typical

Trust Nigerians to celebrate this knee jerk reaction without fully appreciating its consequences. Because many such bans have been proposed by different parties in the past doesn't make this one right. Omunuan has rightly said that this action is open to abuse and does little in dealing with the problem it was mean't to solve yet somehow because many people here seem to be myopic and hot-blooded such considerations will fly right above their heads. Until we have policy makers, leaders and followers who are forward thinking such measures will continue to be proposed and yet will do nothing to

improve the situation.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by esere826: 11:17am On May 14, 2013
@Post

The more sensible thing to do would have been to ban grazing of cattle in the state except if given a permit to do so
or tightly control 'cattle' into the state
This would be modelled like how beer is banned in the Sharia north.

Its wrong to attack the people
even if you have to do so, then at least hide under some veneer of the constitution
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by AjanleKoko: 11:20am On May 14, 2013
Chai.
Price of pepper soup will now go up in Warri angry grin
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Yujin(m): 11:27am On May 14, 2013
Austine.E:

Thanks so much. Evil only thrives when men keep silent.

1 Like

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Abrakhan: 12:03pm On May 14, 2013
careytommy: I believe this is one best security decision ever by a governor cool cool cool

source: www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/security-delta-bans-entry-of-herdsmen/
Ah! south-south governors is it the time for dividing the nation, what of if cattle sellers ban cattles supply to Delta state? N.landers huh?
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by frederal(m): 12:40pm On May 14, 2013
I think all the states in the SE should ban those "animals rearing animals" from their states; highest we stop eating cow meat(which is a health risk). Let them go to SW where they share things in common; their cows can join APC.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by searay(m): 1:12pm On May 14, 2013
Would they be ban on Nairaland?
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by lacasa: 1:55pm On May 14, 2013
Ucheosefoh: am not suprise at this comment u are a fulani man and will do everything within ur power to defend them but one day monkey go go market e no go return

So, because i stated how the ffulani interact n respond to situations, i am a fulani man

#... Well, i'm not fulani
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by lacasa: 1:57pm On May 14, 2013
Tee_Seven:
At the bolded: I think you know very little about the Fulanis.

Oк, can u pls tell us what u know.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by josite: 2:06pm On May 14, 2013
lacasa: what an action film grin

#.. The facts about fulani Behaviour; they never antagonise a people, but when you antagonise them or their herd in any way or form, believe me hell hath no fury like a fulani man seeking revenge.

They r a live n let live kind of people. And they certainly do not engage in highway robbery. The state govt should look inward for the real culprits for that, and stop 'suspecting' fulani all the time.

on dec 22 2006 we were robbed on Ilorin lagos highway by Fulani herdsman the thin tall specie with dane guns.so I confirm Fulani herdsmen robb and u better look out for them on the highways in your own interest.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by REVOLUTNIS: 2:07pm On May 14, 2013
Austine.E:

Austine, u have made my day. Tnk
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 14, 2013
Ucheosefoh: It is only Igbo piple that sell fake goods and engage in all the kidnapping and robberies in Asaba abi. Guy u need a serious IQ upgrading

This is my point that you seem to have missed. Every tribe has criminals and the Fulani are not the only people that engage in robbery so why ban only them? For your information, I am Igbo and also from Delta. I know a lot of very good Fulani people that live in Delta State. If Igbo people especially cheer this type of knee jerk reaction, then we are in trouble because we are more itinerant and much loathed by some Nigerians.

I don't dispute that some Fulani are a menace to the society. Even Lord Luggard was alleged to have foretold the fact that the Fulani are going to be dangerous to other Nigerians. What I disagree with is the singling out of the Fulani as a race and banning them from entering Delta. No state should be allowed to enforce this type of law that is clearly unconstitutional.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew

Then they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

This is a provocative poem attributed to pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the sloth of German intellectuals following the Nazis' rise to power and the subsequent purging of their chosen targets, group after group.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by lacasa: 2:54pm On May 14, 2013
josite:

on dec 22 2006 we were robbed on Ilorin lagos highway by Fulani herdsman the thin tall specie with dane guns.so I confirm Fulani herdsmen robb and u better look out for them on the highways in your own interest.

"Thin tall specie with dane guns"

#.. This is what proves u were robbed by fulanis

Have u for once seen how touareg nigeriens or desert chadians in nigeria look like?.

They r responsible for 2/3rds of the robberies in the south-west region of nigeria.

Do a small research on it

1 Like

Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 14, 2013
lacasa:

"Thin tall specie with dane guns"

#.. This is what proves u were robbed by fulanis

Have u for once seen how touareg nigeriens or desert chadians in nigeria look like?.

They r responsible for 2/3rds of the robberies in the south-west region of nigeria.

Do a small research on it

Most of all these people they accused of being thieves, criminals, terrorists are not even Hausas or Fulanis. Most of them are Tauregs and came from Chad, Niger, Mali,............

Nigerian Customs are to be blamed for letting these criminals enter Nigeria.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by klax(m): 3:10pm On May 14, 2013
Very good move by Delta Govt I supported the move 100%. Lets wait a minute for goodness sake what is this madness that these animals called Fulani or Herdsmen looking for in any Southern State?

To be honest I dont know what a heel they want they claimed to have the North with such a massive land so what a hell do you want in the South mr hredsmen?

Please its nobody f u cking headache if their were no enough grass up in the North for their cows to eat its definately their cup of tea they deserve no pity for any reason because all I know is whoever pity these animals in the North and accommodate them I bet it that person is their first victim to be slaughter. Let all Southern states Ban them indefinately. Let Boko Haram, Arewa fools,Buhari, Almanjiri go and plant grass for them afterall they have enough land to grow grass with fertilizers. No apology.
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Aikayy: 3:16pm On May 14, 2013
martinseme: conversation between a fulani herdsman and manu the head cow.
fulani man: this people have chased us away from their state waiyo we have to head back home wot a long journey we have home.
manu:master dont worry we shall repay them for this.they will miss milk and meat and will be forced to seek after you and call us back.
fulani man:it wont be that easy, but am not a robber and trouble maker why this harsh punishment .
manu:take heart lets go we shall make it home and be happy there .
fulani man: once am home i shall call my people and tell them of my fate here, wallahi all those inyammiris business people in my home will suffer for this.
manu:i shall join you to deal with them and they shall leave empty handed.

What drug r u high on
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by EbubeGid(m): 4:29pm On May 14, 2013
omonuan:

This is my point that you seem to have missed. Every tribe has criminals and the Fulani are not the only people that engage in robbery so why ban only them? For your information, I am Igbo and also from Delta. I know a lot of very good Fulani people that live in Delta State. If Igbo people especially cheer this type of knee jerk reaction, then we are in trouble because we are more itinerant and much loathed by some Nigerians.

I don't dispute that some Fulani are a menace to the society. Even Lord Luggard was alleged to have foretold the fact that the Fulani are going to be dangerous to other Nigerians. What I disagree with is the singling out of the Fulani as a race and banning them from entering Delta. No state should be allowed to enforce this type of law that is clearly unconstitutional.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew

Then they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

This is a provocative poem attributed to pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the sloth of German intellectuals following the Nazis' rise to power and the subsequent purging of their chosen targets, group after group.

I believe austine E. and co talked sense into you before you thought well and wrote this...any way i like this your second comment...@ the topic, I believe the Govt. should give them the option of staying in a paid Ranch with clear regulations or leave the State. period
Re: Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 14, 2013
When u give dis cattle rearers a handshake, nxt tym it crosses d elbow, then next tym it becomes an attack so that's a good idea by d delta state gov't

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Won’t Abandon Ongoing Projects In Niger-Delta —FG / APC Promised Change But Brought Pains -says Abba Moro / Thousands Of Muslims Give Their Lives To Christ In Kogi State (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.