Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text (38550 Views)

Adopt Jonathan’s National Conference Report – Bakare Tells Buhari / President Jonathan's National Identity Card (For Age Clarification Rumour) / Jonathan's National Conference Is Due To His Second Term Fear-he May Break Nigr. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Obinoscopy(m): 8:20pm On May 14, 2013
GEJ should have dissolved the House of Assembly and the executive government in those states to prevent political inteference in the military interventions there. Yet again GEJ has made a wrong decision. The military should have taken over total command in those states.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by delors(m): 8:20pm On May 14, 2013
You see! Isnt this exactly what i said he would say just before the broadcast? cheesy
I don become soothsayer o...log onto my webpage if you want me to tell u your future...payment method is mastercard or visa card...i dont do ATM or cash abeg. Babalawo don upgrade, na online divination we dey do now abeg. cool
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by adonismuller(m): 8:20pm On May 14, 2013
i need to leave dis country......i think its the other name of hell

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by takeprofit: 8:22pm On May 14, 2013

15.The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

He did not sack the governors?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by confusion247(m): 8:22pm On May 14, 2013
manny4life: For once, GEJ has taken a FIRM STAND against TERROR.
He is still confused, how can the state governors and other political office holders still be incharge. Jonathan is weak and 2015 ambition have closed his sense of reasoning.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by sammmiey1: 8:22pm On May 14, 2013
I hope it works&stops d insurgency
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by mej67: 8:22pm On May 14, 2013
Rap maestro: How does that solve the problem? Can someone explain it to me.... Wtf,

Plus I ask, wot has changed? All I see is a president requesting army command to increase troups. The Govs and politricians are still there. Why shy away from d fact dat they are part of the problem either by action or inaction. Suspend them and they will come around and show u where the skeletons are in desparation to return to their posts.

Yes, pls. Let someone explain howw this solves anything! Nice trite sspeech tho
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by vizboy(m): 8:24pm On May 14, 2013
give these guys the iron hand dey deserve
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by truth4meal(m): 8:24pm On May 14, 2013
This is so presidential. Putting aside sentiments and politics this to me is a right decision if according to the president the military will discharge their duty within the ambit of the rules of engagement. This should serve as a warning to other states like Nassarawa, Benue, Kano and co. Thank you Mr President for taking this decision.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by confusion247(m): 8:24pm On May 14, 2013
takeprofit:

He did not sack the governors?
Yes He did not sack them. Another evidence that uncle Jona have started drinking kunu

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by HenryQuest(m): 8:24pm On May 14, 2013
I love the speech. For those that criticize GEJ, How have you been able to manage your family not to talk of managing a difficult entity as Nigeria? My opinion here is that Nigeria's problem is far more from GEJ but quite spiritual and difficult. Don't forget that colonial politics kept us where we are. Safe!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:24pm On May 14, 2013
I am waiting for condemnation of the state of emergency by some northern groups, religious leaders and politicans
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Testy17: 8:24pm On May 14, 2013
President Jonathan has won my respect for the first time since he assumed office. I really welcome the pronouncement and I'm expecting more courageous step towards repairing our beloved country NIGERIA
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by adonismuller(m): 8:25pm On May 14, 2013
confusion247:
He is still confused, how can the state governors and other political office holders still be incharge. Jonathan is weak and 2015 ambition have closed his sense of reasoning.
notin dey eva gud for una.....if to say he sack dem now na u go still say he dey descriminate.....nawa ooo

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Timijo(m): 8:25pm On May 14, 2013
Good decision Mr. President. I want nassarawa state to be included.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by confusion247(m): 8:26pm On May 14, 2013
so what happens to amnesty now? What will be the next suggestion from sultan?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by tuttifrutti: 8:27pm On May 14, 2013
"This is more like a curfew imposed.. not state of emergency.. as long as Governors remain "
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by mebad(m): 8:28pm On May 14, 2013
Let the shooting begin. Thank u GEJ for taking a stand
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by uchetrend: 8:28pm On May 14, 2013
Its very clear that some nigerians are eternally fools and dollards....watever the president does they will find fault in it....he has bn cautions and diplomatic b4 they said that he is a weak president ...now he has givin a marching order against BH yet dey are calling it a bluff.....some fools need serious deliverance....anyway i blame China that flood d market with cheap phones giving these road side illiterates access to d internet

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by macherie1: 8:29pm On May 14, 2013
Finally, GEJ is awake. Kudos
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by takeprofit: 8:30pm On May 14, 2013
confusion247:
Yes He did not sack them. Another evidence that uncle Jona have started drinking kunu

So hw can u call this a state of emergency when the same people are still in charge?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by bolaino(m): 8:31pm On May 14, 2013
This is a step in the right direction, he has to use force to handle these terrorists scum, they have to be shown that the state of the union is STRONG.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by BANGASOUP1: 8:31pm On May 14, 2013
truth4meal: PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN, GCFR

ON THE DECLARATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN BORNO, YOBE AND ADAMAWA STATES IN ORDER TO RESTORE PUBLIC ORDER, PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY IN THE AFFECTED STATES OF THE FEDERATION

MAY 14, 2013

Dear compatriots,

1.It has become necessary for me to address you on the recent spate of terrorist activities and protracted security challenges in some parts of the country, particularly in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Kano, Plateau and most recently Bayelsa, Taraba, Benue and Nasarawa states. These unfortunate events have led to needless loss of lives and property of many innocent Nigerians including members of our security forces.

2.The recent killing of security operatives by a cult group in Nasarawa state is particularly condemnable. I have directed that no effort or expense be spared in identifying and bringing to justice all those who had a hand in the killing of the operatives.

3.The activities of insurgents and terrorists have been reprehensible, causing fear among our citizens and a near-breakdown of law and order in parts of the country, especially the North. We have taken robust steps to unravel and address the root causes of these crises, but it would appear that there is a systematic effort by insurgents and terrorists to destabilize the Nigerian state and test our collective resolve.

4.Since I returned to the country after cutting short my visit to South Africa and aborting a planned state visit to Namibia, I have received detailed briefings from our security agencies. These briefings indicate that what we are facing is not just militancy or criminality, but a rebellion and insurgency by terrorist groups which pose a very serious threat to national unity and territorial integrity. Already, some northern parts of Borno state have been taken over by groups whose allegiance is to different flags and ideologies.

5.These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country. In many places, they have destroyed the Nigerian flag and other symbols of state authority and in their place, hoisted strange flags suggesting the exercise of alternative sovereignty.

6.They have attacked government buildings and facilities. They have murdered innocent citizens and state officials. They have set houses ablaze, and taken women and children as hostages. These actions amount to a declaration of war and a deliberate attempt to undermine the authority of the Nigerian state and threaten her territorial integrity. As a responsible government, we will not tolerate this.

7.Previously, we adopted a multi-track approach to the resolution of this problem through actions which included persuasion, dialogue and widespread consultation with the political, religious and community leaders in the affected states.

8.We exercised restraint to allow for all efforts by both State Governors and well-meaning Nigerians to stop the repeated cases of mindless violence.

9.Yet, the insurgents and terrorists seek to prevent government from fulfilling its constitutional obligations to the people as they pursue their fanatical agenda of mayhem, mass murder, division and separatism.

10.While the efforts at persuasion and dialogue will continue, let me reiterate that we have a sacred duty to ensure the security and well-being of all our people and protect the sovereign integrity of our country. Therefore, we shall, on no account, shy away from doing whatever becomes necessary to provide the fullest possible security for the citizens of this country in any part of the country they choose to reside.

11.We have a duty to stand firm against those who threaten the sovereign integrity of the Nigerian state. Our will is strong, because our faith lies in the indivisibility of Nigeria.

12.Following recent developments in the affected states, it has become necessary for Government to take extraordinary measures to restore normalcy. After wide consultations, and in exercise of the powers conferred on me by the provisions of Section 305, sub-section 1 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, I hereby declare a State of Emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.

13. Accordingly, the Chief of Defence Staff has been directed to immediately deploy more troops to these states for more effective internal security operations. The troops and other security agencies involved in these operations have orders to take all necessary action, within the ambit of their rules of engagement, to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists.

14. This will include the authority to arrest and detain suspects, the taking of possession and control of any building or structure used for terrorist purposes, the lock-down of any area of terrorist operation, the conduct of searches, and the apprehension of persons in illegal possession of weapons.

15.The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

16. I urge the political leadership in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states to co-operate maximally with the Armed Forces and the Police to ensure that the exercise succeeds. We call on the citizenry to co-operate with our security agencies to ensure a return to normalcy within the shortest possible time.

17.I am again approaching our neighbouring countries, through diplomatic channels, as done in the recent past, for their co-operation in apprehending any terrorist elements that may escape across the border.

18.Nigerians are peace-loving people; these sad events perpetrated by those who do not wish our nation well have not changed the essential character of our people.

19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror.

20.I am convinced that with your support and prayers, we shall overcome these challenges and together, we will restore every part of our country to the path of peace, growth and development.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/build-up-nigeria/full-text-of-president-jonathans-national-broadcast-may-14-2013/582673555089537
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by zumbigbo(m): 8:31pm On May 14, 2013
He is on top of the situation/Patience/Allison-Madueke
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by ekoilee: 8:32pm On May 14, 2013
Another dullard and pointless speech....
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Timijo(m): 8:35pm On May 14, 2013
uchetrend: Its very clear that some nigerians are eternally fools and dollards....watever the president does they will find fault in it....he has bn cautions and diplomatic b4 they said that he is a weak president ...now he has givin a marching order against BH yet dey are calling it a bluff.....some fools need serious deliverance....anyway i blame China that flood d market with cheap phones giving these road side illiterates access to d internet
These people have made themselves fault finders. They are illiterates critics. If u aren't please with the decision of Mr. President, suggest a possible solution.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by daywatcher: 8:36pm On May 14, 2013
good move. headline news but I suspect only a small percentage of people in affected states have heard about it. i know its not GEJ's fault but hey
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 14, 2013
ACN CPC AREWA ELDERS over to you. People dying and you could think of is a political analysis.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by terfcha: 8:37pm On May 14, 2013
God help nigeria
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 14, 2013
..There is nothing to celebrate about this.I think caution is the word here.This decision will certainly make or break mr president.

Action speaks louder than words.How he implements this with the governors of the states still there gives me concern.I have not been more worried about the president than now.

He has got a very big challenge in his hands and and i hope Gen.Ihejirika realises the severity of the task ahead.

We,ll have to wait a few more days,weeks or even months to judge.
The demons he is going to confront is big,very intelligent,very organised but cowardly.The demon can be defeated,i hope he has identified their achillis before he made that broadcast.

Jonathan should not fail Nigerians.His enemies are closer to him than he thinks.
They are watching his movement,they will meet,strategise and attempt to deliver a sucker punch.
They will pass their messages.boko is going to strike harder,unfortunately i see religious leaders getting involved and using vulnerable kids to unleash terror but they will fail if mr president remains resolute.

If i were in the north,i think this is the time to go on holiday or sleep with all my senses at alert.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by AssoJnr: 8:41pm On May 14, 2013
koreckt, I hop it help bring normallcy instead of negotiating with die hard terrorists
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by harryem(m): 8:41pm On May 14, 2013
Can someone tell me d reason y some individuals r against dis move b4? D man wntd a gd reason b4 he acts n nw I tink he's justified

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Beaten By Army Cadets For Complimenting A Female Cadet Recounts His Ordeal / Agunola Omomowo Slumps And Dies In Hotel Room (Pic) / Atiku Reacts Over 'killing & Secret Burial Of 1000 Nigerian Soldiers'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.