Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes (8817 Views)

Return ‘Arabic Ajami’ To Naira Notes – Muslim Group(MURIC) Urges Buhari! / Breakingnews! New Naira Notes Underway / Too Much Money: This PDP Man Poses With Piles Of Naira Notes - Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Born2beRich1(m): 9:36am On May 17, 2013
Despite the persistent scarcity of new naira notes, illegal currency hawkers have continued to make brisk business by openly selling new notes in different denominations on the streets and party venues.

Our correspondent gathered that the currency hawkers bribed officials of the Central Bank of Nigeria and Deposit Money Banks to obtain the new notes, which genuine bank customers cannot get.

Investigations by our correspondent revealed that tellers at the CBN front desks and branch service officials in commercial banks were selling the currency at a margin of 10 per cent to currency hawkers.

For instance, it was gathered that a bundle of N100 notes (N10,000) was being sold at N11,000, while a bundle of N200 notes (N20,000) was being exchanged for N22,000.

Investigations also showed that the CBN had recently been printing new notes but they were being hoarded and sold to currency hawkers.

A source at the CBN, who craved anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the issue, told our correspondent that the bank had resumed printing of new notes.

“There was a time the CBN stopped printing new notes for a while, but it has started printing N500 notes in recent times,” the source said.

Some currency hawkers, who spoke with our correspondent, confirmed the connivance of CBN and bank officials with them with regards to the availability of new naira notes, adding that they had insiders in the institutions who reserved new notes for them.

One of the currency hawkers, who simply identified himself as Tunde, told our correspondent, “The new notes are not fake notes; they are money from the vault directly. We pay to get these new notes from the vaults; we pay 10 per cent on every bundle.”

Another currency hawker disclosed that the higher denominations were been purchased by politicians and rich people.

“You will hardly see higher denominations on the street, they are sought after by rich people who prefer to go about with large denominations because of the huge amount of money they carry about,” he said.

When contacted, the CBN said it was aware of what it described as the unpatriotic behaviour of some Nigerians, who, despite media sensitisation, had continued to sell new naira notes to interested members of the public.

The Director, Corporate Communications, CBN, Mr. Ugo Okoroafor said, “In its determination to nip the unwholesome practice in the bud, the CBN has perfected its plan of trailing such currency notes being sold to individuals, using the serial numbers.

“The CBN is working in concert with the police and other security agencies to arrest errant persons, and, therefore, warns those bent on perpetrating the unlawful act to desist forthwith or risk facing the long arm of the law.”

He, however, denied that the central bank was engaged in the practice of hoarding new currency notes only to release same to agents, who paid its officials commissions after selling the mint notes to interested members of the public.

“The CBN does not have responsibility for the supply of cash to Automated Teller Machines. ATMs are owned and deployed by DMBs as well as independent outfits. It is the responsibility of the banks and the other licensed outfits to generate and load ATM-fit banknotes into the cash dispensing machines from cash deposits,” Okoroafor said, while reacting to allegations that ATMs were also dispensing dirty naira notes instead of new ones.

The vigorous campaign by the CBN against subjecting the naira to all forms of abuses seems to have fallen on deaf ears as Nigerians continue to sell and spray naira notes at social events.

The CBN Act, 2007 had drawn public attention to the indecorous treatment of the nation’s currency and introduced legislation to this effect. It also prescribed a six-month jail term or a fine of N50,000 or both for anybody found guilty of both offences.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/hawkers-bribe-bankers-to-obtain-new-naira-notes/
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Oyetboy(m): 11:43am On May 17, 2013
9ja!!! First to comment yaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!
grin

2 Likes

Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Spiritmask: 11:46am On May 17, 2013
Ok
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by ZN2: 11:46am On May 17, 2013
hmmm
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Nobody: 11:46am On May 17, 2013
We no dey carry last
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Decapo: 11:47am On May 17, 2013
ok
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Sirfergie90(m): 11:47am On May 17, 2013
Na wao evry tin na busines 4 naija
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Decapo: 11:47am On May 17, 2013
oya hide this post sharperly
Oyetboy: 9ja!!! First to comment yaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!
grin

1 Like

Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by miqos02(m): 11:48am On May 17, 2013
can it really be stopped
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by 50calibre(m): 11:48am On May 17, 2013
So bankers can't help hawkers without receiving anything? Nigerians have their hearts seared with a hot iron.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Babaofor(m): 11:49am On May 17, 2013
na wa oo
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by dagentility(f): 11:49am On May 17, 2013
Hmmm.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Nobody: 11:50am On May 17, 2013
The first time I saw people hawking the naira on the Suleja-Zuba express, I was confused. I kept asking my co passengers....'You mean that is real currency? What kind of business is that?' And to my shock, cars were stopping to bargain like they were buying la casera
undecided undecided undecided ihe n'eme kwa oº°˚!!!

3 Likes

Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Geomac: 11:50am On May 17, 2013
You get it free at CBN in Minna every thursday.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by toby09(m): 11:52am On May 17, 2013
what's the big deal in new currency notes....money is money!

2 Likes

Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by GoodSamaritan: 11:53am On May 17, 2013
I don't know what to say
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by bemagnify: 12:05pm On May 17, 2013
toby09: what's the big deal in new currency notes....money is money!
i tire
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by mcevans1(m): 12:10pm On May 17, 2013
50calibre: So bankers can't help hawkers without receiving anything? Nigerians have their hearts seared with a hot iron.

cheesy Hahahahahahahah. Nothing goes for free in this country since IBB introduced the chop i chop policy.. grin grin
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Uceegal: 12:10pm On May 17, 2013
Wow,this is serious,people too like cheap and easy going business...without considering wat it could result to.... Imagine risking a job to a hawker
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by vizion: 12:14pm On May 17, 2013
why blame the bankers, blame the end users that are willing to pay over 11k for a 10k.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Krasid(m): 12:17pm On May 17, 2013
na wa oo.everything in naija is just business.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by alphaconde(m): 12:22pm On May 17, 2013
If u ask me leave this matter, this one no b problem @ all
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Les: 12:55pm On May 17, 2013
Wait o, is there a new currency after this polymer notes
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by jmoore(m): 12:56pm On May 17, 2013
Some people are really foolish, why buy new notes?
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by sylve11: 1:28pm On May 17, 2013
It has been na. . .not new. sad cool
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by coldgate(f): 1:32pm On May 17, 2013
jmoore: Some people are really foolish, why buy new notes?
Exactly! Why buy new notes? Very ridiculous behaviour. Using money to buy money. By the way, it is an offence to sell the nations currency.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by akorlade(m): 1:34pm On May 17, 2013
tchidi: The first time I saw people hawking the naira on the Suleja-Zuba express, I was confused. I kept asking my co passengers....'You mean that is real currency? What kind of business is that?' And to my shock, cars were stopping to bargain like they were buying la casera
undecided undecided undecided ihe n'eme kwa oº°˚!!!

my curiosity push me to ask them peddlers @ dei-dei #2k of #20 goes for #2600 brisk biz you would say.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 17, 2013
Can't even imagine d last time I touched money. Cashless tins
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Bigcake: 1:49pm On May 17, 2013
Dat is why Nigeria is d easiest place to survive. U do anyting n earn a living. Then why travell abroad when there r greater opportunities here. I too love Naija abeg.
Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by PurestBoy(m): 2:34pm On May 17, 2013
That's Yoruba people's business, they are the ones obsessed with spraying mint notes at their weekly owambe parties

1 Like

Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by Alamen001: 3:18pm On May 17, 2013
Hmmmm. Only in Naija.

Click Here

Re: Hawkers Bribe Bankers For New Naira Notes by whatzbyafria(m): 8:51pm On May 17, 2013
PurestBoy: That's Yoruba people's business, they are the ones obsessed with spraying mint notes at their weekly owambe parties
yes oooooooooo. PROUDLY YORUBA!!!! tongue tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

93,000 Ghost Voters Uncovered In Anambra / EndSARS Aftermath: Insurers Pay ₦11 Billion Claims On Damages / Solomon Lar’s Body Arrives Abuja Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.