Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead (1979 Views)

Niger Delta Militants Are Confusing - President Buhari / Alex Bade: Niger Delta Militants Are Taking Up Arms, We Will Deal With Them / Armnesty:centres Where Repentant Militants Are To Surrender Thier Arms,what A Joke! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by firetrap(m): 4:41pm On May 17, 2013
**** BREAKING NEWS***
NIGERIA AIRFORCE JET HIT BY AA FIRE,
AS 30 MILITANTS ARE CONFIRMED
DEAD

At least 30 militants have been
killed during air raids on their
training camps in north-eastern
Nigeria, officials say.
An army spokesman said jets and
helicopter gunships had been
used to attack several camps.
He told the BBC that a plane had
been hit by anti-aircraft fire but
had managed to return to base.
States of emergency were
declared this week in three
north-eastern states hit by Boko
Haram’s Islamist insurgency.
Nigerian forces are trying to
regain control in the states of
Adamawa, Yobe and Borno.
Meanwhile, explosions and
gunfire have been heard
overnight in Katsina state.
Residents have told the BBC’s
Hausa service that banks, police
stations and prisons were
destroyed in the town of Daura,
near the border with Niger.
They said they had seen the
bodies of five members of the
security forces and three
militants, but there has been no
official confirmation of casualties.
Mobile phone networks were not
functioning in many parts of
north-east Nigeria on Thursday.
A security official told the AP
news agency that the mobile
phone service had been shut
down during the military
operation.

Militants have previously attacked
mobile phone masts in the area
in an effort to disrupt
communications.
Residents staying inside
Some of the camps hit by air
raids were in the Sambisa Game
Reserve, about 70km (45 miles)
south of the Borno state capital,
Maiduguri, where the militants
first emerged in 2009, said
Nigerian military spokesman Brig
Gen Chris Olukolade.
He told the BBC that 30 militants
had been killed since the latest
offensive began on Wednesday.
There is no independent
confirmation of the number of
deaths.
The aim is to “destroy [Boko
Haram] bases, apprehend as
many of them as possible and
bring them to justice”, Brig Gen
Olukolade said.
“It is not just Sambisa, every
camp is under attack,” the
Reuters news agency quoted him
as saying.
In January, the military said it had
deployed helicopter gunships to
destroy Boko Haram camps in
the reserve, not far from Bama,
where 55 people were killed in
militant attacks last week.
Brig Gen Olukolade said the plane
damaged by anti-aircraft fire had
returned to base safely, while the
“terrorist base” was
subsequently “completely
destroyed”.
This is the first time Boko Haram
has been reported to have used
such heavy weaponry against
aircraft.

A Maiduguri resident told the BBC
that the city was unusually quiet
on Friday, with most people
staying inside.
Brig Gen Olukolade said “several
thousand” troops had been sent
to the three north-eastern states
to tackle Boko Haram.

The three semi-desert states,
which border Niger, Chad and
Cameroon, are roughly the size of
England or the US state of Illinois
but have a population of just 10
million.

The BBC’s Will Ross in Abuja says
targeting Boko Haram’s rural
bases or training camps should
pose no great challenge for the
military; the hardest part of this
campaign will be in urban areas
like Maiduguri, where the
militants are living among the
civilian population.

The president said the army
would take “all necessary action”
to “put an end to the impunity of
insurgents and terrorists”, saying
they had taken down the
Nigerian flag and replaced it with
a foreign emblem in some parts
of the country.

Human rights organisations have
criticised some of the Nigerian
military’s previous operations
because of the resulting civilian
casualties.

Boko Haram, whose name means
“Western education is forbidden”
in the local Hausa language, is
fighting to overthrow the
government and create an
Islamic state in the north.
Although they often attack
Christians and government
targets, they have also killed
many Muslim civilians.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22570071

mods front page please
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 17, 2013
Those guys don find more wahala be that. JTF use atomic bomb jare

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 17, 2013
chidindufrank: Those guys don find more wahala be that. JTF use atomic bomb jare
see ya mouth.. You think say atomic bomb na "bisko"
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 17, 2013
I'm glad our military is handling the situation and not the US grin
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by firetrap(m): 5:04pm On May 17, 2013
sheyie2007: I'm glad our military is handling the situation and not the US grin

why should the united States military interfere in the affairs of a sovereign nation like Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by okosodo: 5:51pm On May 17, 2013
God pass them
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 17, 2013
Who is funding these Boko guys that they are able to purchase these expensive weapons?
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by firetrap(m): 5:56pm On May 17, 2013
J12: Who is funding these Boko guys that they are able to purchase these expensive weapons?

some Nigerian politicians and international backers
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 17, 2013
The BBC’s Will Ross in Abuja says targeting Boko Haram’s rural bases or training camps should pose no great challenge for the military; the hardest part of this campaign will be in urban areas like Maiduguri, where the militants are living among the civilian population.

^^^
This is where the real challenge lies, in my opinion. There is no easy route to success here, and Nigerians are going to have to get used to seeing troops returning home in body bags, once the theater of war is extended to urban towns. sad
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by firetrap(m): 6:08pm On May 17, 2013
eGuerrilla:

^^^
This is where the real challenge lies, in my opinion. There is no easy route to success here, and Nigerians are going to have to get used to seeing troops returning home in body bags, once the theater of war is extended to urban towns. sad

believe me when I tell you that it is not going to pose much of a challenge to our boys cos of the extensive ctcoin activities that they have been involved in within the last year. I will drop a bombshell on you guys on or before Sunday as soon as I am communicated with the information. just watch the politics forum
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by modextus(m): 6:22pm On May 17, 2013
firetrap:

believe me when I tell you that it is not going to pose much of a challenge to our boys cos of the extensive ctcoin activities that they have been involved in within the last year. I will drop a bombshell on you guys on or before Sunday as soon as I am communicated with the information. just watch the politics forum
boss I'm folloqing уσυ write away! grin
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by joeyfire(m): 7:09pm On May 17, 2013
I hope the army chiefs know that they shouldn't stop at destroying the bases and let these animals escape. They need to track the militants to their hiding places in urban areas and crush them there
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by DisGuy: 7:17pm On May 17, 2013
eGuerrilla:

^^^

you are assuming the troops will hold fire in urban areas to avoid 'civilian' casualties

the same troops that don't hold back on rioters or students during protests
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by firetrap(m): 7:22pm On May 17, 2013
joeyfire: I hope the army chiefs know that they shouldn't stop at destroying the bases and let these animals escape. They need to track the militants to their hiding places in urban areas and crush them there

the attacks on their camps is a tactic to bring them out in the open so that our special forces and counter insurgency chaps and pick them off one by one. its like peppering a rat hole with a little smoke so that when it comes out, those waiting on the outside can kill it
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Capnd143(m): 7:29pm On May 17, 2013
Thank God the pilot of the jet returned savely! He is a national hero! As 4 the 30 islamist, may the soul find free 72 virgins in hell!
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by joeyfire(m): 7:32pm On May 17, 2013
firetrap:

the attacks on their camps is a tactic to bring them out in the open so that our special forces and counter insurgency chaps and pick them off one by one. its like peppering a rat hole with a little smoke so that when it comes out, those waiting on the outside can kill it

I hope they do the right thing because the french forces made the same mistake in mali, allied forces made the same mistake in afghanistan etc. I trust our boys sha.
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Eziachi: 7:50pm On May 17, 2013
So does this mean that Boko Haram has a barrack, office, headquarters, logistic/command control now? So whats target will they be bombing from 2000 ft, any that moves? grin
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by seaman007: 8:05pm On May 17, 2013
[b][/b]Scores update

NIGERIAN ARMY _kills 30

BOKO HARAM__kills 0
MATCH STILL ONGOING
UPDATE COMES SHORTLY
Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by Symphony007: 10:21pm On May 17, 2013
Wow!! I was watching BBC and saw the nigerian military rolling into those state with amour cars,tanks, helicopters,fighter jets, smartly dressed soildeirs..made me proud to be nigerian!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airforce Jet Hit By Aa Fire, As 30 Militants Are Confirmed Dead by OAM4J: 11:58pm On May 17, 2013

(1)

I Have Nothing To Hide Says Hon. Salawu Ahmed Ogembe: A Rejoinder By Aliyu Abdul / New Speaker Emerges At The Plateau State House Of Assembly. / Some Good News From SW, After PDP Retook Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.