Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,599 members, 7,823,608 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (45700 Views)

25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field / Samuel Okwaraji - An Unsung Hero / Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by alphaconde(m): 1:40pm On May 18, 2013
@ can u help me find anything about peter esele, the TUC president. Anything @all
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Abiyamo: 1:44pm On May 18, 2013
Human_being1st: the story is false we didnt play india and i our football historty both on fifa.com and wikpedia the hisghest goal we concede ever in a football match was a 7-1 defeat to gold coast
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by playahP(m): 1:44pm On May 18, 2013
Dextra: So the story is actually true. I thought it was a folklore!

Bitcch are you so dumb that you can't scheme through an article??

4 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Abiyamo: 1:44pm On May 18, 2013
Okay, please send your blank email to info@.com and I get back to you.
alpha conde: @ can u help me find anything about peter esele, the TUC president. Anything @all
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Mudley313: 1:50pm On May 18, 2013
deandavid: ingrate, jst an average player abi, that his club is demanding $15000, jst 2 play 4 his country. He played 4 AS ROMA of old, a club legends like maradonna nd d likes wantd 2 play 4. My friend u no dy respect d dead .
respect to the dead, but don't feed people with false made up info...okwaraji was playing a second division german club
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by playahP(m): 1:52pm On May 18, 2013
Human_being1st: the story is false we didnt play india and i our football historty both on fifa.com and wikpedia the hisghest goal we concede ever in a football match was a 7-1 defeat to gold coast

Another dumb fuckktard...

But wait oooh... Sam died at the age of 25?..... I stand to be corrected but that's a big fat lie.. He looks nothing less than 34
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 18, 2013
I was veru small then like 11 years old, but i did remember i was watch the Macht on a black & whirt TV no light(NEPA) no Generator but with Motor Battery lol. when if happen,my father hv to send us into our rooms because we were too small. After about a wk,i started seeing the Calander out side.RIP IN PEACE GREAT SON OF HIS FATHERSLAND.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Mudley313: 1:55pm On May 18, 2013
Napolitano: Used to hear about how great he was before he died. Who knows he could have been part of our squad in USA 94. May his soul rest in peace and the souls of great good men like him not be cut short by the cold hands of death.

he died playing to qualify for italia 90 not USA 94; he played in Maroc 88 where he got his only goal for nigeria against cameroon in our group game, a stunning shot from outside the 18; played in seoul 88 olympics where nigeria was disgraced 4-0 by brazil with a romario hat-trick; we went on to loss 3-1 to yugoslavia n 1-0 to australia; yekini scored the only nigerian goal in that olympics

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 18, 2013
If more of these HEROES are talked about and video clips highlighting their exploits are shown on NTA and cabled channels, I think it will help Nigerians to be more patriotic instead of being MILITANTS. Kids of the millenium don't know this true story but they know the full gist of Anini the thief of Edo.

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Super1759: 1:58pm On May 18, 2013
I still remember the song we sang
"Sam okparaji..kicking the ball inside the net, inside the net
Am going home, am going home.... Bla bla bla"
Being long. RIP man

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by visalo: 2:08pm On May 18, 2013
Oh I feel like crying. Sam RIP

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by afrokid(m): 2:21pm On May 18, 2013
Damn, this is just too sad, I can't bear it. What kind of country is this where criminals are celebrated and heroes are 4gotten? RIP Sam!

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by funnyx(m): 2:27pm On May 18, 2013
I remember vividly how Okparaji died during the game against Angola, I cried like a baby. RIP Sam Okparaji

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by KayDee4: 2:38pm On May 18, 2013
goldfish80: Wow...I never knew he had two degrees. What a legend!
He died before our eyes defending his fatherland.Why the national stadium Surulere wasnt re-named after him or as little as his statue erected @the same stadium he gave up the ghost until Fashola came in,is frankly beyond me.
RIP sir

His bust was there at the National Stadium long before Fashola came in.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by luvinhubby(m): 2:54pm On May 18, 2013
Sam did not attend WTC primary school Enugu, he was my elder brothers classmate at Niger Close primary School Uwani Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by imperiouxx(m): 3:10pm On May 18, 2013
Kay-Dee:

His bust was there at the National Stadium long before Fashola came in.

I was also surprised to heard that it was Fashola that erected that bust. I used to think it has been there long before Fashola came.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 18, 2013
9jadelta: okwaraji was just an average player, he becomes legend because he died playing for his country. Nigeria vs india is a false story we keep telling ourselves till we forget the reality

R.I.P great samuel okwaraji

1diot, what do you mean by average player? Wetin you don contribute give your country, if not only stealing. 1mbecile
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 18, 2013
playah P: 

Another dumb fuckktard...

But wait oooh... Sam died at the age of 25?..... I stand to be corrected but that's a big fat lie.. He looks nothing less than 34

The only way 4 you 2 confirm him real age na 2 go meet am for him grave and have one on one discussion with him. EWU HAUSA

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by dayokanu(m): 3:26pm On May 18, 2013
Sam Okwaraji was my favourite Nigerian player then

I remembered his exploits in Maroc 88, His fierce shot vs Cameroun in the groups and his deflected goal vs Algeria in the semis
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by victorazy(m): 3:29pm On May 18, 2013
stagger: I still remember that horrific day watching it live on TV. Everything that occurred that day was pointing to tragedy. First, 80,000 fans were allowed into the National Stadium in Surulere, far beyond the capacity. Fans were being thrown down from terraces as the game progressed. 12 eventually died that day.

Then on to the game itself. The Angolans employed an extremely physical approach, hacking at our players with no mercy. Tackle after tackle after tackle. Then Austin Eguavoen missed a penalty. If not for the single goal scored by Stephen Keshi and the penalty save in the second half from goalkeeper David Ngodigha after Sunday Egboigbe's double error, in giving the ball away, we would have gone home empty-handed.

Then Sam fell. The crowd gasped. Samson Siasia walked over to him and according to him, Sam's last words were "call me a doctor". Siasia lifted up his hands and beckoned frantically to the bench that there was trouble. Okwaraji was taken to an ambulance which could not start because the battery was down. And he died right there in the ambulance.

It was terrible. Just so terrible. But have we learnt?

Other footballers who have died this way are:

- Tunde Charity Ikhidero (part of the Miracle of Damman U-21 team).
- Amir Angwe (part of the BCC Lions who won the 1990 African Cup Winners Cup).

There are others I cannot remember now. Have they been immortalised? Have they been given National Awards? What has happened to their families? When last did a government official ever care to call or visit their people to know how they have fared all these years that their breadwinners have died?

Has the govt fulfilled any of the promised made to Sam Okwaraji's family?

Yet we have thieves and Boko Haram sponsors being given national awards. God help them I do not become president bcause heads will roll.

I like that "head will roll" grin grin grin
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by blanco56(m): 3:33pm On May 18, 2013
@OP get your facts right jooor! The then NFA chairman Group Captain John Obakpolor is still alive, hail and hearty yet you referred to him several times in your writeup as late...Na u kill am? Abi U get plans?
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Oba3011: 3:55pm On May 18, 2013
A great soccer legend,an epitome of simplicity and a patriot.August 12,1989,a day d dream of million soccer fans were dashed in d 77mins of play, when a patriot slumped and died. FG's role at d burial was laughable.d family was given meager amount.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Abiyamo: 4:05pm On May 18, 2013
What plans? Kill who? Learn how to make corrections and not throw abuses. Obakpolor is alive, HALE (note that) & hearty, it was an error and it will be corrected. Thank you.
blanco56: @OP get your facts right jooor! The then NFA chairman Group Captain John Obakpolor is still alive, hail and hearty yet you referred to him several times in your writeup as late...Na u kill am? Abi U get plans?

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Abiyamo: 4:13pm On May 18, 2013
Once again, thank you very much, correction has been made. #Very grateful.
blanco56: @OP get your facts right jooor! The then NFA chairman Group Captain John Obakpolor is still alive, hail and hearty yet you referred to him several times in your writeup as late...Na u kill am? Abi U get plans?
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by jaymdee(m): 4:17pm On May 18, 2013
Dextra: So the story is actually true. I thought it was a folklore!
Which story? The nig - india match? Or the Okwaraji story?
Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by malipalina: 4:18pm On May 18, 2013
cont" to rest in the bosom of the Lord our befallen Hero.d memory of your death hunted me for over six month after your departure. we rest assure you that this "new Super Eagle" are working hard to make sure that your work as our past football Hero is not in vein! we know when the trumpet of the LOrd shall Resonate, we 'll meet to depart no more cont' to RIP our past Hero.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by malipalina: 4:23pm On May 18, 2013
@ op, tnx for this inspirational memory.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 18, 2013
stagger: I still remember that horrific day watching it live on TV. Everything that occurred that day was pointing to tragedy. First, 80,000 fans were allowed into the National Stadium in Surulere, far beyond the capacity. Fans were being thrown down from terraces as the game progressed. 12 eventually died that day.

Then on to the game itself. The Angolans employed an extremely physical approach, hacking at our players with no mercy. Tackle after tackle after tackle. Then Austin Eguavoen missed a penalty. If not for the single goal scored by Stephen Keshi and the penalty save in the second half from goalkeeper David Ngodigha after Sunday Egboigbe's double error, in giving the ball away, we would have gone home empty-handed.

Then Sam fell. The crowd gasped. Samson Siasia walked over to him and according to him, Sam's last words were "call me a doctor". Siasia lifted up his hands and beckoned frantically to the bench that there was trouble. Okwaraji was taken to an ambulance which could not start because the battery was down. And he died right there in the ambulance.

It was terrible. Just so terrible. But have we learnt?

Other footballers who have died this way are:

- Tunde Charity Ikhidero (part of the Miracle of Damman U-21 team).
- Amir Angwe (part of the BCC Lions who won the 1990 African Cup Winners Cup).

There are others I cannot remember now. Have they been immortalised? Have they been given National Awards? What has happened to their families? When last did a government official ever care to call or visit their people to know how they have fared all these years that their breadwinners have died?

Has the govt fulfilled any of the promised made to Sam Okwaraji's family?

Yet we have thieves and Boko Haram sponsors being given national awards. God help them I do not become president bcause heads will roll.

This is the true story. i remember that match.
india game is tales by moonlight - it never happened

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by gogodaye(m): 4:56pm On May 18, 2013
I cannot but help it by raising a thump up for the OP & other NLs in strenously appraising us of the need to give kudos to the few amongst us that have helped to keep the shine up our faces and country. Our departed countryman undeniably was full of fervor in his service to our motherland whilst he was alive. He never hesistated in honouring call~ups, an early bird at camp, never bickered over owed allowances etc. We shall resist all efforts to make us forget patriotic folks like him in ourhistory

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Sheguama: 5:04pm On May 18, 2013
This Bro story kills something in me always. What a colossal loss. Chai.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by Yujin(m): 5:12pm On May 18, 2013
So long Legend Samuel Okwaraji. You gave your all for what you believed in. However, you were wrong... Nigeria is not worth dying for. Overzealous ignoramuses take note.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him by sampaio6(m): 5:34pm On May 18, 2013
Samuel Okwaraji, may ur soul rest in perfect peace. Then, i was in primary 5 and i shed tears on hearing the news. I wish u could wake up and see hw bloody the nation u ar so patriotic to then.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni And Anthony Joshua At The Gym (Photo) / 5 Nigerians Who Have Played Under Peseiro / AFCON Final: Ivory Coast Will Go Home With Cup In Error – Prophet Ebube Muonso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.