Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,264 members, 7,839,330 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

The Basis Of Human Morality - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Basis Of Human Morality (13595 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / The Decent Of Human Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 5:23pm On May 23, 2013
plaetton:

What exactly remains your point.

That human morality does not derive from evolution, animal instinct or survival, because all of these are completely amoral, ruthless and practical. It derives from the recognition of the spirit.

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 23, 2013
Deep Sight:

That human morality does not derive from evolution, animal instinct or survival, because all of these are completely amoral, ruthless and practical. It derives from the recognition of the spirit.
Ghen ghen... Part two!
Wetin be spirit?
Who recognises the so-called spirit?
How is morality borne out of this recognition?
Your second name should be Jay Jay Okocha!

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 5:35pm On May 23, 2013
kwangi: Ghen ghen... Part two!
Wetin be spirit?
Who recognises the so-called spirit?

It is what you are. Mindless matter cannot form the living breathing thinking and feeling being that you are.

Your second name should be Jay Jay Okocha!

If you could not see me coming all the way from my opening post, the your second name should be Goal Keeper Agboni-basket.

3 Likes

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 23, 2013
Deep Sight:

It is what you are. Mindless matter cannot form the living breathing thinking and feeling being that you are.

If you could not see me coming all the way from my opening post, the your second name should be Goal Keeper Agboni-basket.
You can't come and yap about your delusions on such a straightforward topic.
A spirit is what deepsight is.
Human morality is derived from the recognition of deepsight! So true.
So what have you been saying since your opening post again?
BTW, I'm not your goal keeper, wake up! I'm your coach.
Alex Ferguson #datkindthing
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 23, 2013
Deep Sight:

If you could not see me coming all the way from my opening post, the your second name should be [[size=15pt]Goal Keeper Agboni-basket.[/size]

grin grin grin
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by UyiIredia(m): 5:59pm On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

So, as it's 'logical' to be a cannibal, why don't you try eating someone so we can see the results? We can then determine if society would deem the act moral as it's logical.

I didn't say its logical to be a cannibal. I clearly meant that actions are moral because theybare deemed logical.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 23, 2013
Dude, where you at?
How can you try to "complexise" something so straightforward?
And you eventually ended up where you've been running from for the past four pages.

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by wiegraf: 8:35pm On May 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I didn't say its logical to be a cannibal. I clearly meant that actions are moral because theybare deemed logical.

Actions are deemed moral when they satisfy a value system. Value systems need not be logical or objective, at all. For instance, if you subscribe to a religious moral code, that would entail basing your actions around faith based system, not logic. Logic is viewed as just a tool, a tool to satisfy goals which are based on values.

Again, go look up the thread were your brethren admit they do not use their brains when religion is involved. Their moral codes are built around religion, yes? That isn't exactly basing your actions around logic, yes? Or do you think killing apostates or persecuting homosexuals is logical? Yet these actions are deemed moral in certain societies, yes?

Or even the op, provide the answer (I hope) most people on the globe would give to it.

Supposing you could get away with cannibalism, in fact, it would be extremely profitable to you and others about, perhaps even to the person becoming dinner as well, why should you then not do it? Why would it still be considered morally bad by most? Why is euthanasia of patients in extreme pain and with no chance of survival considered bad by many? Or even abortion? etc etc

3 Likes

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by PastorAIO: 8:46pm On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

Actions are deemed moral when they satisfy a value system. Value systems need not be logical or objective, at all. For instance, if you subscribe to a religious moral code, that would entail basing your actions around faith based system, not logic. Logic is viewed as just a tool, a tool to satisfy goals which are based on values.

Gbam-u!!! Now we're getting closer to What morality actually is.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by PastorAIO: 8:54pm On May 23, 2013
Maybe a little off topic but anyway . . .

Nietzsche's table of values [edit]

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844–1900) in Thus Spoke Zarathustra said that a table of values hangs above every great people. Nietzsche points out that what is common among different peoples is the act of esteeming, of creating values, even if the values are different from one people to the next. Nietzsche asserts that what made people great was not the content of their beliefs, but the act of valuing. Thus the values a community strives to articulate are not as important as the collective will to act on those values.[3] The willing is more essential than the intrinsic worth of the goal itself, according to Nietzsche.[4] "A thousand goals have there been so far," says Zarathustra, "for there are a thousand peoples. Only the yoke for the thousand necks is still lacking: the one goal is lacking. Humanity still has no goal." Hence, the title of the aphorism, "On The Thousand And One Goals". The idea that one value-system is no more worthy than the next, although it may not be directly ascribed to Nietzsche, has become a common premise in modern social science. Max Weber and Martin Heidegger absorbed it and made it their own. It shaped their philosophical endeavor, as well as their political understanding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact–value_distinction#Nietzsche.27s_table_of_values
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

Again, go look up the thread were your brethren admit they do not use their brains when religion is involved. Their moral codes are built around religion, yes? That isn't exactly basing your actions around logic, yes? Or do you think killing apostates or persecuting homosexuals is logical? Yet these actions are deemed moral in certain societies, yes?

Or even the op, provide the answer (I hope) most people on the globe would give to it.

Supposing you could get away with cannibalism, in fact, it would be extremely profitable to you and others about, perhaps even to the person becoming dinner as well, why should you then not do it? Why would it still be considered morally bad by most? Why is euthanasia of patients in extreme pain and with no chance of survival considered bad by many? Or even abortion? etc etc
"Necessary evil does not mean 'morally' good"-- Wiegraf

BTW... Pastor AIO, where do you stand in all these? Even though Deepsight's issue is settled.
Sincerely wanna know your perspective.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by PastorAIO: 9:47pm On May 23, 2013
kwangi:

BTW... Pastor AIO, where do you stand in all these? Even though Deepsight's issue is settled.
Sincerely wanna know your perspective.

I think that Wiegraf almost defined it for me, according to my own understanding. My definition of morality is a scale of values, from Most preferable (good) to Least preferable (evil), and as Moral creatures when faced with options we choose that which according to our scale of Values is the More preferable.

Where this Scale of Values comes from is another matter. Also of interest is how it evolves over time. It determines all of human affairs on an individual level, and also on a social and global level.

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 23, 2013
Pastor AIO:

I think that Wiegraf almost defined it for me, according to my own understanding. My definition of morality is a scale of values, from Most preferable (good) to Least preferable (evil), and as Moral creatures when faced with options we choose that which according to our scale of Values is the More preferable.

Where this Scale of Values comes from is another matter. Also of interest is how it evolves over time. It determines all of human affairs on an individual level, and also on a social and global level.

Wow!!! A politician couldn't have done a better job... grin
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 23, 2013
Pastor AIO:

Nice one...
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by UyiIredia(m): 10:23pm On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

And these faith based systems are deemed logical by their adherents. Reasons can be forwarded as to why apostates are killed. But the more important thing to note is that the basing morality on anything other than intelligence is circular. For example, basing it on logic us circular because logic entails a moral imperative to PROPER (note the adjective) reasoning. In your case I can directly equate (or define) morality as satisfaction of a value system.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by PastorAIO: 10:26pm On May 23, 2013
striktlymi:

Wow!!! A politician couldn't have done a better job... grin

Anyway, I hope we also notice that there is a big presumption in the 'definition'. That we are creatures that can make choices. We can recognise options and choose from them. The whole notion of optional futures (no, I'm not talking finance) is in conflict with the idea of a deterministic universe.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 23, 2013
Pastor AIO:

Anyway, I hope we also notice that there is a big presumption in the 'definition'. That we are creatures that can make choices. We can recognise options and choose from them. The whole notion of optional futures (no, I'm not talking finance) is in conflict with the idea of a deterministic universe.

Mind me not...just catching my trips.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Kay17: 11:07pm On May 23, 2013
Deep Sight:

I have to disagree with the above at this point. Evolution is guided by survival of the fittest not the most ruthless. It is conceivable that there could be a point where evolution and compassion meet. Gregarious animals are thrive on compassion, common identity and purpose. Humans are no different.

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by plaetton: 11:32pm On May 23, 2013
Deep Sight:

There you go!.
I have never ever said such nor implied it.
I said that human morality evolves.
You and your theist friends are the one holding the position that human morality is derived from some kin dof divine source within.
I say no, it is contrived, made up, and then evolves over time.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by plaetton: 11:36pm On May 23, 2013
Kay 17:

I have to disagree with the above at this point. Evolution is guided by survival of the fittest not the most ruthless. It is conceivable that there could be a point where evolution and compassion meet. Gregarious animals are thrive on compassion, common identity and purpose. Humans are no different.

Thank you, jare.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by plaetton: 11:41pm On May 23, 2013
Pastor AIO:

I find it odd that you could say this, while you disagreed with my earlier post saying similar, with perhaps different words. I gave Magna Carter and UN declaration of fundamental human rights as examples.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by plaetton: 12:06am On May 24, 2013
Pastor AIO:

There is a chicken and egg ish here. Let us take Magna carta for example. Do you really think that someone just arbitrarily came up with Magna Carta and then that became the moral viewpoint of the english. OR is it not more likely that first came the moral sense that King's ought to be held accountable and this then after a lengthy struggle became enshrined in law.

If the Moral sense did not precede the Law making then why the struggle to have laws made, struggles that are often seen as fights for Justice.

If morality came from written laws then how comes we can feel a sense of injustice towards even the Law itself.

Can you really say that before the UN declaration of human rights that people did not feel that other humans had fundamental inalienable rights?

It seems to me that the examples you gave are not examples of contrived morality, far from it, they are Laws contrived specifically to attend to a pre-existing moral disposition.

I do not think that you and Deepsight take time to read my post.
If an innate morality pre-existed before the enactment of moral codes, then the enactment of moral codes would be needless and redundant.
If we are born with a divine sense of right and wrong, why would human behaviour need any kind of regulation,?
Religion and religious codes would be redundant, since goodness would have been innate .

Magna carter would have been unnecessary.
The Universal declaration of human rights after 200,000 of human existence is ample proof that human morality has evolved over that period.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by plaetton: 12:44am On May 24, 2013
Deep Sight:

Now its glaring that you are becoming sentimental in your reasoning: which is what you accuse the religious of. My intentions in opening this thread are thus gradually being acheived.

This is a presumption. A great many men do NOT have choices. Millions live in stark starvation, even, as you must know, surely.

For many, it is a necessity.

Are you living in this world at all?

Every thinking human has a choice. When you wake up in the morning, you can decide to rob your brother to survive, eat your brother to survive, beg to survive, or go out to look for food.
These are choices.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by wiegraf: 2:13am On May 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

And these faith based systems are deemed logical by their adherents. Reasons can be forwarded as to why apostates are killed. But the more important thing to note is that the basing morality on anything other than intelligence is circular. For example, basing it on logic us circular because logic entails a moral imperative to PROPER (note the adjective) reasoning. In your case I can directly equate (or define) morality as satisfaction of a value system.

What exactly are you on about with the bold?

Do other animals use reason?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by UyiIredia(m): 2:18am On May 24, 2013
wiegraf:

Do other animals use intelligent reason?

Yes. But not to the same degree as humans.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by wiegraf: 2:25am On May 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Yes. But not to the same degree as humans.

https://www.google.com.ng/search?num=30&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=HAi&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=reason+definition&oq=reason+definition&gs_l=serp.3..0l8.6156.8311.0.8662.11.9.0.2.2.2.553.1449.4j3j0j1j0j1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.14.serp.K59ZqGgFAt4

google:
rea·son
/ˈrēzən/
Noun
A cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event.
Verb
Think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic: "humans do not reason entirely from facts"; "the reasoning behind the review".
Synonyms
noun. cause - motive - occasion - ground - mind - intellect
verb. argue - think

The other animals can give you a reason for their actions? Or they understand said actions?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by UyiIredia(m): 2:48am On May 24, 2013
wiegraf:

https://www.google.com.ng/search?num=30&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=HAi&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=reason+definition&oq=reason+definition&gs_l=serp.3..0l8.6156.8311.0.8662.11.9.0.2.2.2.553.1449.4j3j0j1j0j1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.14.serp.K59ZqGgFAt4

The other animals can give you a reason for their actions? Or they understand said actions?

Animals have been experimentally demonstrated to show cognition, solve puzzles and think abstractly albeit to a limited extent. You can check this out on Google.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 9:11am On May 24, 2013
plaetton:

If an innate moral pre-existed before the enactment of moral codes, then the enactment of moral codes would be needless and redundant.
If we are born with a divine sense of right and wrong, why would human behaviour need any kind of regulation,?
Religion and religious codes would be redundant, since goodness would have been innate .

The Universal declaration of human rights after 200,000 of human existence is ample proof that human morality has evolved over that period.

I think I need to shout:

[size=24pt]The point is whether or not such morality existed before the UDHR or if they only came to exist upon the proclamation of the UDHR.

IF, AS YOU SAY, MORALITY EVOLVES AND COMES TO EXIST AS MADE IN SUCH DECLARATIONS, THEN YOU CANNOT AT THE SAME TIME SAY THAT THE ACTIONS OF ALEXANDER OR JULIUS CAESAR WERE IMMORAL, AS NO SUCH CODES EXISTED AT THEIR TIME.

GET THE QUESTION NOW? GET THE ISSUE NOW? GET THE DISTINCTION NOW?[/size]
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Nobody: 9:22am On May 24, 2013
^^My ribs don crack finish.
You didn't have to shout bro.
Ofcourse, morality pre-dates any goddamn enactment!
What distinction are you talking about?
What issue?
What question?
Bros jeje o!
I'm just asking. Peacefully.
Just lay it out.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by PastorAIO: 10:28am On May 24, 2013
plaetton:

If an innate moral pre-existed before the enactment of moral codes, then the enactment of moral codes would be needless and redundant.

I think that the enactment of moral codes is nothing more than the articulation of a moral predisposition.

What you are saying is like, 'If I already love my wife then there is no need for to open my mouth to say that I love my wife'. As if one only starts to love commencing with the pronouncement of love.

However you touch on some very interesting and important points when you ask why human behaviour would need any regulation. Why would people commit acts that they well know ( or have a subtle sense) is wrong? We can start to investigate the nature of this innate moral code and how it affects behaviour, we can investigate whether there is just one or rather a number of them at play in any individual,
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 11:45am On May 24, 2013
Pastor AIO:

I think that the enactment of moral codes is nothing more than the articulation of a moral predisposition.

What you are saying is like, 'If I already love my wife then there is no need for to open my mouth to say that I love my wife'. As if one only starts to love commencing with the pronouncement of love.

[size=16pt]GBAM! GBA! ! GBOGA! ! ![/size]
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 1:04pm On May 24, 2013
Deep Sight:

I think I need to shout:

[size=24pt]The point is whether or not such morality existed before the UDHR or if they only came to exist upon the proclamation of the UDHR.

IF, AS YOU SAY, MORALITY EVOLVES AND COMES TO EXIST AS MADE IN SUCH DECLARATIONS, THEN YOU CANNOT AT THE SAME TIME SAY THAT THE ACTIONS OF ALEXANDER OR JULIUS CAESAR WERE IMMORAL, AS NO SUCH CODES EXISTED AT THEIR TIME.

GET THE QUESTION NOW? GET THE ISSUE NOW? GET THE DISTINCTION NOW?[/size]
Lol, Julius and Alexander are too far. Try Hitler instead. He had already massacred 6 million Jews before it was declared that they had human rights.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Will There Be Partial Rapture? Will All Christians Go Up At The Time Of Rapture? / Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? / Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.