Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,237 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos (13759 Views)

Yuletide: FG Declares Dec. 24, 25, 28 Public Holidays / FG Declares April 3, 6 Public Holidays For Easter / FG Declares 3-day Public Holidays To Mark Christmas, New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 22, 2013
Leopantro: Including Julius Berger?

Nice question.

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by PHIPEX(m): 6:02pm On May 22, 2013
otokx: Fashola and Rochas are really fighting for the first price in strange behaviors.
Both of them are running head to head. Very soon they'll start arresting anyone who didn't go to church on Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by gtrust: 6:05pm On May 22, 2013
PHIPEX: Both of them are running head to head. Very soon they'll start arresting anyone who didn't go to church on Sunday.

You beat me to it! lol
I was just about to say that.

They're both so gay! (not in a sexual way)
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by koruji(m): 6:06pm On May 22, 2013
If true, whoever is behind this policy in just goofed big time and knows zero about the construction business.

However this is probably untrue - some agents of the devil have been trying to cause confusion in Lagos lately.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by dammytosh: 6:36pm On May 22, 2013
Sounds like Jonathan's law.

Guess they are all the same.

Foolish thinking for a simple challenge. Bunch of fools.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by PeterKbaba: 6:42pm On May 22, 2013
Mad Cow:

I'm still waiting for someone to jump out and say.. PSYCH!!! grin

This is as stupid as giving Lagos Drivers uniforms to help them drive better.. grin
[/b]

The uniform is to have all lagos bus driver information documented for security reason... Pls th1nk
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by klax(m): 6:43pm On May 22, 2013
But what is all these Lagos ban this, Lagos ban that for goodness sake. So its only weekend building that can collapse So all building that had collapsed in Nigeria were built in the night and weekend isnit?? By the time you ban everything then we shall see whatelse you will ban. Sometime people do make some babaric statement.

I guess if it were PDP govt official that says this I know Tinubu and Lai will be yelling on top of their voice. Mr Lagosian honourable ban and ban all you need to do is to put things in right order that is all. All these ban this ban that is like Lagos is gradually turning to something else.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by brownbriggs(m): 6:53pm On May 22, 2013
could this include Cappa and D'Alberto plc, G cappa plc, JBN, Hitech ?
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by stepone(m): 6:55pm On May 22, 2013
I'll go with d Gov. Let us face the fact. Most builder construct on public holiday/ late night construction, trying to prevent government supervision.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by KINGwax(m): 6:56pm On May 22, 2013
It is clear nobody undstnds d plot of the whole story. Just allow me explain for u:

I am a site engineer, and i av worked with SCRPS, lagos chapter. They are the ones in charge of school renovations and construction.

Lagos has a strict law as per building construction, and they monitor every building project to the latter. The reinforcements are duly subjected to tests and bribes are not taken in lieu of any shortcoming because, like 3 groups will come per material. Each taking their results to the appropriate authorities. And one group don't knw d other. So if u collecct bribe to write a false report, another will refute it and u're a goner!

Now, in order to avoid these visits, most engineers scheduled most major jobs for public holidays and weekends wen d officials dnt work, or start casting at the late hour wen we knw d official will soon leave. This gives the opportunity to cast through the night, as they will be on their own and standards can be compromised to maximize profit!

Are we clear now?

Great measure requires strict rules!
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by FBICIA(m): 7:19pm On May 22, 2013
KINGwax: It is clear nobody undstnds d plot of the whole story. Just allow me explain for u:

I am a site engineer, and i av worked with SCRPS, lagos chapter. They are the ones in charge of school renovations and construction.

Lagos has a strict law as per building construction, and they monitor every building project to the latter. The reinforcements are duly subjected to tests and bribes are not taken in lieu of any shortcoming because, like 3 groups will come per material. Each taking their results to the appropriate authorities. And one group don't knw d other. So if u collecct bribe to write a false report, another will refute it and u're a goner!

Now, in order to avoid these visits, most engineers scheduled most major jobs for public holidays and weekends wen d officials dnt work, or start casting at the late hour wen we knw d official will soon leave. This gives the opportunity to cast through the night, as they will be on their own and standards can be compromised to maximize profit!

Are we clear now?

Great measure requires strict rules!

Thank you
More so you know ppl build illegal buildings (not adhering to What it is on plan, some don't have approved plan, some without set back etc) and they do this perfectly by working only in the nite the only thing you will keep seeing is that there is progress in the construction but you won't know when they are working and mostly the buildings are always fenced. When the monitoring team comes around to serve contravention notice et all because the building is illegal there will Be nobody to accept the notice and when the building has been completed and maybe they have moved in government cant do much. That is the reason government is making those laws
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Seun(m): 7:26pm On May 22, 2013
The correct solution is to do inspections all the time, regardless of holidays or weekends.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Dee60: 7:32pm On May 22, 2013
gtrust:

People work weekends!
why can they (Inspectors/regulators/ministry of works) not work weekends
Why don't they ask to report if you want to do construction on the weekend so they can put someone on call

Thank you very much o jare. This policy is very silly indeed. In a cosmopolitan city like Lagos, why are regulators not working extra hours on matters bordering on growth and development? Yet, their so called traffic managers hide in corners on saturdays looking for culprits from whom they will demand egunje!

I wonder what will become of these ACN 'I too know' people in the next elections? Time will tell.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Dee60: 7:37pm On May 22, 2013
By the way, who will catch those who disobey the law? The same regulators who cannot regulate on weekends and public holidays?

Another Lagos ban that will end up giving officials good room for extorting money from the citizens, in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Aarenaija: 8:03pm On May 22, 2013
These people are not serious. They will soon say that vehicles should not ply the roads on weekends because VIO's don't work on weekends. Nonsense. What about the economy of time? What do they know about construction? Go and look at their own buildings at the secretariat, they are not well done. Finishing is always horrible. Regulators indeed. Construction is best done at night sometime when you need to control certain conditions.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 22, 2013
I can't help but laff at her solution to the problem. So buildings built on weekdays can't collapse rite? Is this woman an engineer at all? I knw we engineers are more analytical and logical than this.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Izz9111: 8:25pm On May 22, 2013
This Fash government lacks vission and does not have what is takes to solve social and domestic problems. My question is does building on public holidays and weekends makes houses collapse or not using quality materials.
The greedy commissioners and SA's are looking for houses steal just because they are Fash government. Just know it that Fash does not the of common man at heart. His government has brought only sorry and pains for common Lagosians.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by ManOfThePeople(m): 8:29pm On May 22, 2013
Na wa o.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by abifoluwa: 8:33pm On May 22, 2013
I dont get it. what?
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by esere826: 8:53pm On May 22, 2013
@post

The sensible thing to do will be to see the findings on research that shows that building on weekend has a direct relationship with collapsed structures or at least commision a study on such relationships

You dont just dream up far reaching and shallow policies from the comfort of your desk
SMH
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Aarenaija: 8:54pm On May 22, 2013
You guys are saying the truth and you know it. There is know where in the Would where people don't cut corners. If people are ready to do the right things, there will not be need for law enforcers. Are you saying at public holidays the common bricklayers and artisans should not eat? Please tell the people concerned do their work well and advice Government to see to it that building materials like steel and cement are not adulterated. I am an Architect and I supervise construction works. I have been a victim before but for my vigilance the cement wold have lead us into problems; God forbid. Now I have to buy directly from manufacturers or their recognized distributors and you know the stress involved. Do more of holistic monitoring with relevant agencies of Government and the problem will be a thing of the past.
FBI/CIA:

Thank you
More so you know ppl build illegal buildings (not adhering to What it is on plan, some don't have approved plan, some without set back etc) and they do this perfectly by working only in the nite the only thing you will keep seeing is that there is progress in the construction but you won't know when they are working and mostly the buildings are always fenced. When the monitoring team comes around to serve contravention notice et all because the building is illegal there will Be nobody to accept the notice and when the building has been completed and maybe they have moved in government cant do much. That is the reason government is making those laws
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Mowire: 9:17pm On May 22, 2013
The commission is probably tired & should be replaced. This policy is indicative of poor judgement or an inability to think through.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by hurricaneChris: 9:22pm On May 22, 2013
This policy must be targeted at an opposition company, else whoever initiated this a joker!

Wow! How can wkends or days of work affect the quality of construction? Jeeeeez!! These guys are comedian.

Oga commissioner, this you even think at all bfo making this announcement?

Please go and tackle the factors which contribute to d collapse of building in Lagos and leave wkends and public holiday alone
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by tjskii(f): 10:17pm On May 22, 2013
Rubbish so wat happens to those of us who make use of weekends to supervise work on our sites,due to gruelling work schedule during weekdays undecided
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by GeneralJ(m): 11:41pm On May 22, 2013
You do understand they are doing this, because officials cannot inspect building projects on weekends or holidays, but i still find it stupid a little bit though
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by mrofficial(m): 12:32am On May 23, 2013
kodewrita: Makes no sense. Engineering construction can take place at any time of the day depending on the material being worked. Thats a backward utterance that does not stop collapse of buildings now or at any other time in the future.

Its simply an excuse to cover up negligence in building inspections.

Lagos state said so. So whatever anyone says I don't think it's useful.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 1:03am On May 23, 2013
Yet, some people keep saying Fashola's government is the best thing that has ever happened to Lagos State. I wonder what Lagos is turning into and how they reach conclusion on some issues.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Exponental(m): 6:01am On May 23, 2013
I was expecting to see "developed area" where noise n environment pollution could affect many others when they are out of work and also resting/refreshing.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Akaraiwe(m): 7:03am On May 23, 2013
Weird laws!,that's what you get when a Yoruba teacher becomes a commissioner.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by okechukwu2013: 7:39am On May 23, 2013
Does not make sense at all. Ensure standard in building materials. Inspect block industries and have a quality standards like it is done in developed climes. Ensure that local steel companies and imported steels conform to required standard. Send inspectors to sites to inspect buildings. Then you will be guaranteed of quality structures ; stoping works on weekends can't stop the issue of colapsed buildings. Don't forget that most project owners who work during the week only have weekends to inspect their projects!

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Nobody: 8:31am On May 23, 2013
The government has a point in confiscating due abandoned projects cos they have turned to hideouts for hoodlums and armed robbers..trust me, I know what am talking about.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by MadCow1: 8:34am On May 23, 2013
PeterKbaba:

The uniform is to have all lagos bus driver information documented for security reason... Pls th1nk

Who be this one!

I have a drivers license, that means my info is documented.

I have an international passport, thats another documented Info of mine.

I have my vehicle registration, e.t.c, more documented info, and I didnt need a uniform for that.. So how is Fasholas Uniform regime a special documentation?! Is it that all these mobile tailor abokis cannot sew the uniform or what?!

Na you suppose check your brain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Confab Is Waste Of Time, Keyamo Insists / Umahi Vows Never To Castigate Buhari / "Emilokan" Does Not Means "Awalokan" - Sowore To South West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.