Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,972 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos (13754 Views)

Yuletide: FG Declares Dec. 24, 25, 28 Public Holidays / FG Declares April 3, 6 Public Holidays For Easter / FG Declares 3-day Public Holidays To Mark Christmas, New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by mukina2: 4:10pm On May 22, 2013
In a bid to stem the incessant collapse of buildings in the state, the Lagos State government has banned developers from working on building construction on weekends, public holidays and at night.

Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Toyin Ayinde, disclosed this on Tuesday at a ministerial press conference in Alausa, Lagos, southwest Nigeria, lamenting that government had been inundated with cases of collapsed buildings across the state.

He said one common thing about these incidents was that the collapsed buildings were under construction and also located in obscure areas of the state.

“More worrisome is the fact that some unscrupulous developers and builders have decided to embark on illegal construction work at weekends, public holidays and even at night. This will no longer be tolerated.

“Consequently, the ministry will soon extend its service, especially monitoring, removal of illegal structures and arrest developers and their workers found on sites beyond the regular working hours so as to be able to tackle this unwholesome trend and behaviour head-on to stem the preponderance of these illegal activities appropriately,” he stated.

“It is true that these activities take place daily on our streets, roads, in our neighbourhood. The Ministry and its staff cannot comb the entire State 24/7 for illegal developments. I therefore use this medium today once again to solicit for the cooperation of members of the public to report any construction work whatsoever, at any level especially those taking place at odd times earlier mentioned to the ministry via phone calls, SMSs, e-mails immediately,” he added.

Ayinde said that the state government would soon begin compulsory integrity test on buildings and construction materials before construction in order to identify and remove distressed buildings.

He further disclosed that the government had identified about 407 uncompleted buildings abandoned by their owners across the state, saying such buildings would be confiscated.

“We have identified at least 407 abandoned building projects scattered around the state. Though some of the owners have commenced work on their abandoned buildings such as those located in Oniru Estate on the Island, we are applying appropriate sanctions to those abandoned and we are going to take the buildings over. These abandoned structures are threat to security. Hoodlums do take advantage by using them as hideouts,” he said.

Also, Ayinde called for the preparation and review of development plans across the state which would be aimed at directing and guiding the orderly development of urban and rural areas.

He stated that the ministry has become a veritable tool in the implementation of the state’s policy thrust on poverty eradication and sustainable economic growth through infrastructure renewal and development.

The commissioner added that the ministry operates on the vision of achieving a Lagos Megacity that is sustainable, organised, livable, business and tourism friendly, anchored on the strategic roadmap of mission to work towards a sustainable Physical Planning and Urban Development in order to provide an enabling environment for socio-economic activities through a dedicated work force.

He disclosed that in the past four to six years, the state government, through the ministry, had embarked on the preparation, implementation and review of development plans for the following areas: Lekki, Badagry, Mainland, Alimosho, Apapa, Agege, Ifako-Ijaiye, Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Ikorodu and Epe, stressing that while the implementation of the master plan for some of these areas had already been completed, some were still being implemented.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/05/22/lagos-bans-building-on-weekends-public-holidays/
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by kodewrita(m): 5:01pm On May 22, 2013
Makes no sense. Engineering construction can take place at any time of the day depending on the material being worked. Thats a backward utterance that does not stop collapse of buildings now or at any other time in the future.

Its simply an excuse to cover up negligence in building inspections.

43 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Caracta(f): 5:06pm On May 22, 2013
Itumo?

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by daviide: 5:06pm On May 22, 2013
kodewrita: Makes no sense. Engineering construction can take place at any time of the day depending on the material being worked. Thats a backward utterance that does not stop collapse of buildings now or at any other time in the future.

Its simply an excuse to cover up negligence in building inspections.
yu're right
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by MadCow1: 5:09pm On May 22, 2013
Wetin concern Public holiday with collpased buildings?!

3 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 5:09pm On May 22, 2013
This has got to be a joke.

7 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Krasid(m): 5:09pm On May 22, 2013
Na wa for lagos oo.There are now starting to bring up so many rules.They better start to respect our opinion and let us make our decisions.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by dare2think: 5:09pm On May 22, 2013
This will hike up an building projects.

An industry that is getting more lucrative and more expensive.

Longer time for projects to get actualised and more excuses from contractors.

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Afrocatalyst: 5:10pm On May 22, 2013
I think I'll side with Mr Governor on this. I once had an opportunity to work wit a developer somewhere around lagos. We worked everyday but on sundays. The thing is dat d owner of d building has a brother who helps monitor the jobs. On this fateful week,he told d developer he wil be going to a wedding party by saturday. Before now,we were supposd to cast the decking of the building and it would require lots of cement. The developer nw informed us nt to resume the casting work til saturday. On that day,he first reduced the budgeted cement by half and carted them away,before work began. As his supervisor,I couldnt question him cos I know he knew I understood wat he did.

There is a degree of wisdom in dat decision,imho.

5 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by DonHummer(m): 5:11pm On May 22, 2013
wen u hav very old and incompetent men as commisioners and advisers dis are the kind of solutions u get for a problem...stopin buildn constructions on weekends and pub holiday to curtail illegal constructions ...jst saw som weird laws around the world on da front page..i tink dis should be one of them

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Lilimax(f): 5:11pm On May 22, 2013
Make no sense.How does these substandard materials gets into the country.
There should be adequate checks for materials being imported into the country.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Leopantro: 5:11pm On May 22, 2013
Including Julius Berger?

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by MadCow1: 5:13pm On May 22, 2013
Afam4eva: This has got to be a joke.

I'm still waiting for someone to jump out and say.. PSYCH!!! grin

This is as stupid as giving Lagos Drivers uniforms to help them drive better.. grin
[/b]

7 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Inik(m): 5:13pm On May 22, 2013
Illogical decision. So essentially they are saying that all the collapsed buildings in Lagos were built on weekends and public holidays.

3 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by yanyan(m): 5:13pm On May 22, 2013
what of urban and rural planning decree 88 of 1992? yet to be implemented....those that studied town planning no job for them and you are just talking rubbish...

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Nobody: 5:15pm On May 22, 2013
APC is becoming clueless!

FeeeeeDeeeeeeFeeeeeee!
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by gtrust: 5:15pm On May 22, 2013
These Lagos boys need to go to Yaba and get their heads checked!

Everybody builds during the weekend, night with flood-light, public holidays.
These are the best time to build as heavy and bulky equipment can move around without causing traffic or human obstruction and if atall, very minimal disruption.

Oga at the top is off duty and can come see wetin dey happen.

Who are those guys and from which interior are they coming from

5 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by otokx(m): 5:18pm On May 22, 2013
Fashola and Rochas are really fighting for the first price in strange behaviors.

2 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Chregor(m): 5:19pm On May 22, 2013
Joke apart, death toll of collapse buildings in lagos,if noted, cud average out dat of the recent tornado in Oklahoma,USA.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by PrincessEni(f): 5:20pm On May 22, 2013
This new law makes no sense at all,what has weekends got to do with Collapsed buildings,They are bereft of ideas,So sad,,,
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Gepheral: 5:23pm On May 22, 2013
like seriously..?
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 22, 2013
Is this the reason why buildings have been collapsing?
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by naUgotire: 5:26pm On May 22, 2013
These guys are jokers for real. Abandoned building projects? Who told you that they have been abandoned? And why would you resort to confiscating of private properties? If you do that, it will never fly in the court. It will be tantamount to the breach of fundamental human right. This Lagos is becoming something else, the over zealous commissioners and advisers are hell bent on outdoing each other with stupid ideas. Where on earth do you take over property because the owner has not been able to get it completed?

Who told you that you have the right to tell people when to work or not work? If I decide to work on the weekend, it is my prerogative and shouldn't be a concern of the government. The government has no freaking right to ask people not to construct houses on certain days of the week.

Pathetic!!!

6 Likes

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by gtrust: 5:27pm On May 22, 2013
Chregor: Joke apart, death toll of collapse buildings in lagos,if noted, cud average out dat of the recent tornado in Oklahoma,USA.

People work weekends!
why can they (Inspectors/regulators/ministry of works) not work weekends
Why don't they ask to report if you want to do construction on the weekend so they can put someone on call

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 22, 2013
This makes no sense at all!!!!
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by adeokunade: 5:31pm On May 22, 2013
I think the S.G is on point construction workers always work in haste in other to meet up with delivery date. This is because the work is usually slow at the begining and most developers chop into the money meant for the exercise which always make them to start rushing later. The effect of this is to over stretch the labours and this in turn will not make them to deliver efficiently. So if LSG is requesting for break for building developers I think it makes sense
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Rexphobia(m): 5:31pm On May 22, 2013
Subtract all the numerous public holidays we have in Naija + 102days...how many days come remain to earn revenues for these companies and for completion of projects.

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by gtrust: 5:35pm On May 22, 2013
adeokunade: I think the S.G is on point construction workers always work in haste in other to meet up with delivery date. This is because the work is usually slow at the begining and most developers chop into the money meant for the exercise which always make them to start rushing later. The effect of this is to over stretch the labours and this in turn will not make them to deliver efficiently. So if LSG is requesting for break for building developers I think it makes sense

'over-stretch labourers' Like seriously In Lagos
Labourers are everywhere, unemployed my friend!

They need employment instead!
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by oloriooko(m): 5:35pm On May 22, 2013
so they think when buildings are constructed during the day, they will stand irrespective of materials used? these guys must be jokers.
Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by naUgotire: 5:39pm On May 22, 2013
Afrocatalyst: I think I'll side with Mr Governor on this. I once had an opportunity to work wit a developer somewhere around lagos. We worked everyday but on sundays. The thing is dat d owner of d building has a brother who helps monitor the jobs. On this fateful week,he told d developer he wil be going to a wedding party by saturday. Before now,we were supposd to cast the decking of the building and it would require lots of cement. The developer nw informed us nt to resume the casting work til saturday. On that day,he first reduced the budgeted cement by half and carted them away,before work began. As his supervisor,I couldnt question him cos I know he knew I understood wat he did.

There is a degree of wisdom in dat decision,imho.

See how stupid your argument is. How could you justify a directive that cannot even pass muster in the law courts based on one incident? Because your developer did what he did, does not mean every other developer will do same.

1 Like

Re: Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos by Idondome: 5:41pm On May 22, 2013
What about the people that depend on what they get on daily basis? How will they survive if they cannot work on Saturdays & public holidays? That's not proper. they should look for another way to check this menace other than stopping people from making their daily bread. They ask for permission from whomever want to build on these days to be inspected before the work starts.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Recaptures Borno Border Town / Buhari Has Failed, But He’s Still Better Than Atiku — Balarabe Musa / Buhari: Incoming Months, You Will Witness Massive Shift From Insurgency To Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.