Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,035 members, 7,863,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:52 AM

Celebrating Memorial Day - A Comparison Between US And Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Celebrating Memorial Day - A Comparison Between US And Nigeria (628 Views)

A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist / Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. / Why Is Weed Illegal? A Comparison With Alchohol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Celebrating Memorial Day - A Comparison Between US And Nigeria by txswat: 5:11pm On May 27, 2013
Today we celebrate memorial day here in the US. I know this is a nairaland thread but you can't help but think about naija on a day like this. The whole country(USA) has taken this special day off to celebrate their military personnel especially the fallen. The national cemeteries are beautiful decorated with american flags, and President Barack Obama gave a speech showing his gratitude to the men and women who have served and given him the opportunity to live in a free society. I have never served in the military but I have many family members and friends who have served in the military and I am very proud of them for the sacrifices they've made.
With that being said I am wondering if the oath the military personnel in naija take is that much different because citizens of both countries view their military in two totally different ways. As Gordons(the comedian) said "when soldier slap you na then you go know say police na your friend." I'm pretty sure they take an oath to protect the citizens of their respective countries against ALL enemies. When we sit back and evaluate we see how far naija really has to go. The most upsetting part is I don't see progress in most cases I only see regression. Can anyone argue the fact that naija is much worse than she was on Oct 1 1960?

(1) (Reply)

Democracy Day In Nigeria 2013: 14 Years After / SSS Arrests PUNCH Reporter Over Obasanjo Story Regarding Assassinations / Six Killed As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Plateau Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.