Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,359 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? (11069 Views)

Parents, How Will You Handle This Without Embarrasing Yourself ? / Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met? / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by valicious1(m): 7:46pm On May 28, 2013
When ur child starts beheading/torture everything/anything ants,lizards,rats,snakes etc den know 4sure u have a potential assassin in ur family. believ it or not.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Aafulenu(f): 7:47pm On May 28, 2013
ITbomb: .Sleeping positions also helps

epic!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by http(m): 7:53pm On May 28, 2013
Quite interesting, i've noticed my boy has so much interest in anything mechanical, he can forfeit anything including food as long as he get his hands on generators, seeing vulcanizer working on tires, trying to fix toy cars, trains and anything in the house. i always hide my tool box from him, everyone know him for this and i was like another engineer in the making.... we have had enough engineer in my family, my father was, i am and now my 3 and half son...
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 28, 2013
yuzedo: By FLOGIN d pikins day and nite, dey will learn any talent u wanted, i promice!!!! angry angry angry angry

grin grin grin Floggings ? Habbaa...not daily o, Only on Thursdays or Tuesdays (joking pls)

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 8:22pm On May 28, 2013
What do you make of a child that score 140 on a basic free random IQ Test? This thread prompted me to test some kids and to my surprise,one scored 140,just a few minutes ago.

Do i have a genius in my hand or what?
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:34pm On May 28, 2013
dont do any test.

Introduce her/him to a wide variety of options. provide the child with art books, encyclopedias/picture books, musical instruments, swimming classes, sport goods (football, tennis raquet) etc. give it many options at an early stage.

The child will automatically pick up the option it finds best suited towards and will work on it. Always provide the options and keep it as an open choice.

If the child is talented in anything, it will show itself. you wont even need to go after it, because it will be interested in it. (the child i speak of will be around 3-4 yrs). however if you dont provide equipment and options, you will never know what good your child is for. undecided

Im speaking this from personal experience . My parents left me around Gods for a lot of time. I used to spend time with Idols, ritual stuffs, books on religion, etc., from an early age. Thats how Im so interested in Traditional Religion.

so yeahh. it depends on your choices.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by nikkypearl(f): 8:44pm On May 28, 2013
When I was very young,I use to cut every clothes I came across,then use needle and thread to join it again,including my momma's church wrapper!every1 in the house use to hide their clothes back then!but now,I graduated as an architect,but can cut clothes better than 50% fashion. Designers without. Learnining it o!most fashion Designers around me come seeking 4my advice now!nd am planning 2open a fashion institute very soon!and when u talk of coral beads 4wedding,av done lots of beautiful ones 4brides,and believe I never saw any1. Making it talk less of learning it!nd all dis started when I was 6yrs!
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 8:44pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
dont do any test.

Introduce her/him to a wide variety of options. provide the child with art books, encyclopedias/picture books, musical instruments, swimming classes, sport goods (football, tennis raquet) etc. give it many options at an early stage.

The child will automatically pick up the option it finds best suited towards and will work on it. Always provide the options and keep it as an open choice.

If the child is talented in anything, it will show itself. you wont even need to go after it, because it will be interested in it. (the child i speak of will be around 3-4 yrs). however if you dont provide equipment and options, you will never know what good your child is for. undecided

Im speaking this from personal experience . My parents left me around Gods for a lot of time. I used to spend time with Idols, ritual stuffs, books on religion, etc., from an early age. Thats how Im so interested in Traditional Religion.

so yeahh. it depends on your choices.

The worst is that these kids tend to be very intelligent,but brushing their teeth tend to be a mammoth task or even washing hands before eating or keeping their clothes clean or tiding up their rooms.

And don't know how that connects with intelligence,but everyday basic chores tend to be mammoth task for some bright kids.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:53pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

The worst is that these kids tend to be very intelligent,but brushing their teeth tend to be a mammoth task or even washing hands before eating or keeping their clothes clean or tiding up their rooms.

And don't know how that connects with intelligence,but everyday basic chores tend to be mammoth task for some bright kids.

there is only 1 solution to that. .

yuzedo: By FLOGIN d pikins day and nite, dey will learn any talent u wanted, i promice!!!! angry angry angry angry

^The above will take care of their basic responsibilities, so they can look into higher areas and talents. If a child cant even brush its own teeth, he/she is a good for nothing and should be drowned.

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 28, 2013
Naija parents dont recognize talent the only thing they identify is books,go to school and bcom an engineer,a doctor,a lawyer because to them thats the only definition of success
so any talented child have to nurture and groom his talent all alone because the parents are never gonna be supportive of it until they start seeing the flash of success in it
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:58pm On May 28, 2013
ayswags: Naija parents dont recognize talent the only thing they identify is books,go to school and bcom an engineer,a doctor,a lawyer because to them thats the only definition of success
so any talented child have to nurture and groom his talent all alone because the parents are never gonna be supportive of it until they start seeing the flash of success in it

A child needs education as a backup. but 9Ja parents must give attention to other areas as well.

AND PLEASE PARENTS! STOP BUYING YOUR KIDS ALL THIS PS3 AND SHITZ! BUY THEM BOOKS! BUY THEM SPORTING EQUIPMENT!

GIVE THEM A FISHING ROD! OR ELSE SOME HUNTING STUFFS!

OR MAKE YOURSELF KITS!
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 9:03pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

there is only 1 solution to that. .

^The above will take care of their basic responsibilities, so they can look into higher areas and talents. If a child cant even brush its own teeth, he/she is a good for nothing and should be drowned.

Are you actually serious?or you are just being sarcastic?Because even a bright child won't make such suggestions.

Doing that will inhibit whatever good in that child,destroy his confidence and wipe out his/her creative intuitions.I think there are better ways to make them see need for self preservation and protection.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:08pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

Are you actually serious?or you are just being sarcastic?Because even a bright child won't make such suggestions.

Doing that will inhibit whatever good in that child,destroy his confidence and wipe out his/her creative intuitions.I think there are better ways to make them see need for self preservation and protection.

I was flogged and loved @ the same time. I thank my parents for making me the man Im today. I would not've suceeded without slight discipline.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 9:24pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I was flogged and loved @ the same time. I thank my parents for making me the man Im today. I would not've suceeded without slight discipline.

I think the children of these are are way different from what we were children.We were more or less brought up in a crude age,while the children of these days are born into this complex digital world that they seem to adapt to at early age.And it shapes their iq,thinking and intelligence.

They are always finding easy way out because every thing in their graphic and synthetic world seems easy.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:34pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

I think the children of these are are way different from what we were children.We were more or less brought up in a crude age,while the children of these days are born into this complex digital world that they seem to adapt to at early age.And it shapes their iq,thinking and intelligence.

They are always finding easy way out because every thing in their graphic and synthetic world seems easy.

nothing digital. just smash their ps3s and flog them. they will immediately come out of their dream land and enter the real world.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by favouredseed(f): 9:36pm On May 28, 2013
I want my son to be a footballer, I was so happy when his school teacher told me dat he is d only one in the class (less than 2 years old) dat uses his leg to play football, others use hand, so he plays football wit older pupils

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:37pm On May 28, 2013
favoured-seed:
I want my son to be a footballer, I was so happy when his school teacher told me dat he is d only one in the class (less than 2 years old) dat uses his leg to play football, others use hand, so he plays football wit older pupils

good. now take it forward. make him join coaching classes. etc. etc.

dont heap riches on him, or else that will get into his head. do it step by step.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 9:50pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

nothing digital. just smash their ps3s and flog them. they will immediately come out of their dream land and enter the real world.

Are you for real man?Wow! what you are saying is very scary.People will think i have gone crazy doing that. I will think of myself of being crazy too if i resort to violence i correcting a child
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:50pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

Are you for real man?Wow! what you are saying is very scary.People will think i have gone crazy doing that.

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by favouredseed(f): 9:51pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

good. now take it forward. make him join coaching classes. etc. etc.

dont heap riches on him, or else that will get into his head. do it step by step.
Noted, thanx
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 9:58pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

It is time you start seeing things different,or else you are going to get into serious trouble for hurting a child.

Children upbringing is very complex,especially in a regulated world were were rules and orders abides.Abi,are permanently nigeria base?
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:03pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

It is time you start seeing things different,or else you are going to get into serious trouble for hurting a child.

Children upbringing is very complex,especially in a regulated world were were rules and orders abides.Abi,are permanently nigeria base?

I dont care. I will bring up a child however I see fit. there is nothing complex. If a child behaves, reward it. If a child misbehaves, flog it. No. I am not permanent 9JA based. I keep traveling. I am a nomad.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:03pm On May 28, 2013
favoured-seed:

Noted, thanx

ywlc
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 10:06pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I dont care. I will bring up a child however I see fit. there is nothing complex. If a child behaves, reward it. If a child misbehaves, flog it. No. I am not permanent 9JA based. I keep traveling. I am a nomad.

Na wa for u o.What will tell a teacher that flogs your child merciless for being late to class or for doing his/her assignment?
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Ibyno(m): 10:09pm On May 28, 2013
In my own case, when am a kid, I use to beat up all my mate and even my senior, so my dad discover that and send me to Army,
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:26pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

Na wa for u o.What will tell a teacher that flogs your child merciless for being late to class or for doing his/her assignment?

depends on his offence and how mercilessly.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by afroxyz: 10:32pm On May 28, 2013
Its vey easy to identify a child's talent, just that society has streamlined our thinking into what we define as success and how to nuture talents. Someone suggest test. That is absolutely wrong. Believe me, don't depend on school or exams to identify your child's talent. That is why the developed societies produce a lot of stars that never went to school.

Look out for what the child likes and dislikes. Sometimes his talent may be embedded in recalcitratnt behaviour. A child may be opening-up your radio, television or even blow up your socket. He may be exhibiting a knack for engineering. Someone said that she always cuts her mum's wrapper and sew then back. Why some parents would inteprete that as mischief, other won't.

Also expose him to options. Let him read books, newspapers, watch documentaries. Watch what he does when playing and how he interacts with his siblings and playmates. Also talk to the teacher not only for his test scores but for behaviours you may have perhaps not observed at home.

Then when you identify, please don't kill it. Grow it. You should not force a cartoonist to go to university, put him in an arts institute. In this part of the world, we have thrown away the real idea of university. It is not just for certificates but for indiciduals that have shown the mental capicity for intellectualism. That is why technical schools are partical, while universities are theory inclined. When sending him to univeristy (which is what most of us would do) put it in his head to choose courses that align with his talents. Let him make associations that would grow them and more importantly, that his talent out-weighs his certificate

2 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 10:38pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

depends on his offence and how mercilessly.

Although i was caned as a child,both at home and at school,but i don't see anything good about.

And i am not bitter for having the experience,but i will take compromise and good rapport with a child anytime anyday,no matter what the issue is.

Children learn by mistakes,challenges,constructive correction and persistent examples.The more you talk them down or beat them down,the more they get confused,withdrawn and less proactive.Same as abused or intimidated adults.

If you think i am lying,take a deep look at nigerian present elders/youths population of today and see how dormant,unconstructive and immobile they are.Like subdued children.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:43pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

Although i was caned as a child,both at home and at school,but i don't see anything good about.

And i am not bitter for having the experience,but i will take compromise and good rapport with a child anytime anyday,no matter what the issue is.

Children learn by mistakes,challenges,constructive correction and persistent examples.The more you talk them down or beat them down,the more they get confused,withdrawn and less proactive.Same as abused or intimidated adults.

If you think i am lying,take a deep look at nigerian present elders/youths population of today and see how dormant,unconstructive and immobile they are.Like subdued children.

I think you are lying. look at american and european kids. by the time they are 14, they are into drugs, p.orn, gang, etc.

they even call police on their parents for scolding them.

btw your example of Nigerian elders/youths is very lame. . tongue tongue

dont take offence. its my opinion.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by redsun(m): 11:03pm On May 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I think you are lying. look at american and european kids. by the time they are 14, they are into drugs, p.orn, gang, etc.

they even call police on their parents for scolding them.

btw your example of Nigerian elders/youths is very lame. . tongue tongue

dont take offence. its my opinion.

Most american and european kids that are into drugs are mostly kids from broken homes,kids born of kids and abused kids like you are recommending.

As for example of nigerian elders/youth,i will remind you of the taste of the taste of the pudding saying.It is clear to see that nigerian society of today is more or less a failed one and the answer lies in looking within and actually finding out the fundamental relevance of life and survival.Understanding the basic intelligence(common sense) that could be passed on to children without fuss or violence.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:12pm On May 28, 2013
redsun:

Most american and european kids that are into drugs are mostly kids from broken homes,kids born of kids and abused kids like you are recommending.

As for example of nigerian elders/youth,i will remind you of the taste of the taste of the pudding saying.It is clear to see that nigerian society of today is more or less a failed one and the answer lies in looking within and actually finding out the fundamental relevance of life and survival.Understanding the basic intelligence(common sense) that could be passed on to children without fuss or violence.

THe more you think Nigerian society is failed, the more failed it becomes.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by spotx: 12:00am On May 29, 2013
one ,as a parent and or guidian pray to God the maker and depositor of every gift and talent and he will show you since he put it there in the first place. Two you can discover the temperament of a kid by close observation of that child behaviour and you could also read this book by Tim Lahaye titled why You Act The way you do.it will help you to identify which of the four temperament a child falls to predominantly.we have four major temperament,one melancholy -they are shy ,not that friendly type ,they love staying alone and in a quiet place,they love thinking,most of the talking goes on in their head ,they are self critics,sacrificial,these kind of people are very gentle they rarely get angry,they are usually gifted and talented in Science related courses and or profession like research,invention/discoveries,,analysis, stuudying,lecturing,project mangement, data computing, they are usually multi talented and patient, they are also detail oriented, they are perfectionist, their biggest weakness is fear,doubt,low self esteem and less confident. The Second temperament is phlegmatic this second type of introvert are like the first but a little bit different they have an eye for colour ,love drawing,very prudent and love saving money they usually dress well, good at painting,gifted in putting things in order like arranging house,their weakness is individualistic/selfishness they fit for profession like accounting/as an accountant,architect,sculptor ,fine artist,interior decoration,make up artist fashionista,writer,broadcaster,lawyer,event organiser/planner,diplomatic e.t.c third temperament is one of the two extrovert temperament which is Choleric:they are confident,speaker,risk taker,giving command and order,charm,motivator,love argueing,,activism,action oriented, domieering,leading,restless ,very playerful.the profession fit it in are force/military and paramilitary job like sss,airforce,navy,police,custom,,motivational speaker, enterpreneur,sport coach,human right activist,,engineering and repair works,investing,pilot,tourist visitation,farming,sport related activities, pastoring,musician,e.t.c. The fourth and second type of extrovert temperament is Sanguine :this is super extrovert they are usually refered to as talkertine due to their nature,they talk toomuch,caregiver,merciful and compassionate,they can removetheir eyes and give you for free,they are emotional,they are very social-love meeting and playing with people they love enjoyment and pleasure,they are also risk taker.their weakness is lack of self discipline .the kind of job that appeal to them are entertainment,nursing,social work,nannychild care,,hospitality and tourism e.t.c no child or adult has one major temperament but a combination of two with one being predominantly. What will give someone fulfillment is a combination of three interelated factors which are passion,talent/gift ang hobby.Another way way of helping child to identify their talent is to take child to toy shop and allow them to pich the kind of toy that appeal them which can be used in determining their hobby a pointer to their talent and suited profession. Cheers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Is Too Much To Tell Your Partner? / Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? / If You Had Your Way, At What Age Will You Like To Get Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.