Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? (11070 Views)

Parents, How Will You Handle This Without Embarrasing Yourself ? / Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met? / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by orgasticdance: 12:15am On May 29, 2013
1. You need money and commitment, lots of it.
2. If you can, MADE in the USA is better than MADE in Nigeria; Heck, it doesn't guarantee anything but you limit the down potential if all else fails
3. You'll need more money and time for ballet classes, piano lessons, the swimming instructor, biannual excursions to the dutch art institute, funding for Eton, Pencey prep etc.

2 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by diarra94(m): 4:59am On May 29, 2013
Talent is never hidden.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Shindharah(f): 7:57am On May 29, 2013
strongly agrees dat talent is neva hidden! theres no hw the parent wil realise his or her child takent/gift witout the child reflecting it.... only a caution and well observed parent wil realises it... some parent ar 2careless, they look after d welfare of d house neglectin wat d child future is likely to hold!
well, in my own case, wen i was 6yrs..i loved passion for drawing as yrs was passin by my passion neva changed, i do well in fine art and craft work and my dad lovs it because it was is proffesion so i neva lack of materials use as an artist....i join choir wen i was in jss2, i develop passion for it, i sing,composed and along d line i lay my hand on keyboard, i startd playing in d church, to an outside programme, my parent was impressd and the bought me a keyboard, i keep playin, even wen i got to higher institution i neva stopped and am stil on d lane! wat i want to bring out is, ad it bin my parent ar nt well observant they wunt av encouraged me they might ended up killing my talent sef.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by bolsey01(m): 8:11am On May 29, 2013
hey, hve u checked d hottest blog on the block www.bolsey..com if u hvent, hurry u re missin.......also like Bolsey's blog on f.b
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 9:15am On May 29, 2013
http: Quite interesting, i've noticed my boy has so much interest in anything mechanical, he can forfeit anything including food as long as he get his hands on generators, seeing vulcanizer working on tires, trying to fix toy cars, trains and anything in the house. i always hide my tool box from him, everyone know him for this and i was like another engineer in the making.... we have had enough engineer in my family, my father was, i am and now my 3 and half son...
Hahahaha...I love all these kid engineers...pls help him nurture the talent, who knows if he's gonna be the rescue to Nigeria's technological drawback. Lovely, kid engineers, can't wait to have one smiley
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by biolabee(m): 9:32am On May 29, 2013
Most practical advice so far

orgasticdance:

1. You need money and commitment, lots of it.
2. If you can, MADE in the USA is better than MADE in Nigeria; Heck, it doesn't guarantee anything but you limit the down potential if all else fails
3. You'll need more money and time for ballet classes, piano lessons, the swimming instructor, biannual excursions to the dutch art institute, funding for Eton, Pencey prep etc.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by samkoro: 9:36am On May 29, 2013
yuzedo: By FLOGIN d pikins day and nite, dey will learn any talent u wanted, i promice!!!! angry angry angry angry

Exactly what Micheal Jackson's dad did to him.Part of the reason he never had a childhood.Any way,spare the rod and spoil the child.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by isleman(m): 9:39am On May 29, 2013
as a fact, we need to differentiate talent from career. in my own definition, what you love to do may be your career and what you do without supervision and do very well is your talent.

as a kid, loved to draw. i could draw easily and impress everyone around with my drawings. I've been drawing since i could hold a pencil. everyone around me quickly concluded i will be an artist. As time went on, i preferred sciences. even though i still loved drawing but is been decades since i last drew aline. today, what i do easily and love doing even in my sleep is programming. i can program for free. i think i developed a career there since i had to go to school to learn programming. it wasn't born with me and there was no computer while i was growing up.

One very confusing part is when a child has multiple talents. its very difficult to help such child as they are good at everything.

Talent as said is what you can do easily even in your sleep and do better than your peers with nobody teaching you.

My final advise is that, career earns you a pay, talent earns you a dream. follow your talent. i love my career and never regret it but it only earns me a salary. perhaps my talent could have taken me to stardom. nevertheless, which every path you follow, strive to be the best among the rest. it still gets you to the apex at the end. (i used to rap too but i hate showbiz)
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by kodewrita(m): 9:59am On May 29, 2013
Simple.

---Expose them to a lot of experiences ( in my own case, music classes, scrabble, computer club etc) and see which one they really get excited about or stick to.
---Once identified, buy them a child-sized kit as early as possible ( e.g drawing kit, small computer, football kit including shin guards and ball, ballet attire, karate gi or WHATEVER they require).
---Enforce some discipline so that they stick with it to take it beyond passing fancy into early mastery.
---Give them opportunities to impress their peers with their new found skills, it builds self esteem and makes them want to get even better at it.
---keep in mind that they might know better about their chosen area than you do ( in spite of your age)
--Most importantly, find them a mentor/role model who might be a bit closer in age to them so they can find someone to copy and hopefully surpass. It is usually easier for them to ask such people questions than to ask you. Example, if your kid is really good at programming, find someone among your IT friends to mentor him on what to learn.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Evidoskey: 10:19am On May 29, 2013
DJDOLA: By GOD grace
thats true
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Jdfada: 10:24am On May 29, 2013
ITbomb: .Sleeping positions also helps

a new one there.
how does that help? Pls explain.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by piagetskinner(m): 10:24am On May 29, 2013
MMotimo: Depending on the talent, there may be standardized tests your child can take to confirm
U talk like a counselling psychologist. I would suggest vocational interest inventry(vii)
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Tolutheo(m): 10:53am On May 29, 2013
Children are like a new computer with no software installed on it. Children from both research and history pick up a lot of things their environment. Exposure is the best gift you can ever present to any child. The William sisters are good tennis players because their father trained them at a tender age, same thing in Tiger Wood's case: he started playing golf at the age of 2 with his father, by the time he was 11 he was beating his father in golf games and by age 16 he became a professional golfer. Mark Zuckerberg the founder of facebook started coding at a very young age because his father taught him, at a time he became better than his father, so his father employed a programming tutor to teach him. Ben carson's mother did not give up on him even though he did not start up as a child prodigy, she kept exposing him to books until he out shined every one in his class and became a renowned neurosurgeon, the list also goes on and on.

1.) There is so much information hidden in books, it has worked for me and several others: Expose your children to books.
2.) "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" also "All play and no work still makes Jack a dull boy": reduce the TV they watch, pick educative programs for them to watch.
3.) Above all go to GOD, he is the manufacturer he has the blueprint of every one's life.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by UncleJJ(m): 11:45am On May 29, 2013
Tolutheo: Children are like a new computer with no software installed on it. Children from both research and history pick up a lot of things their environment. Exposure is the best gift you can ever present to any child. The William sisters are good tennis players because their father trained them at a tender age, same thing in Tiger Wood's case: he started playing golf at the age of 2 with his father, by the time he was 11 he was beating his father in golf games and by age 16 he became a professional golfer. Mark Zuckerberg the founder of facebook started coding at a very young age because his father taught him, at a time he became better than his father, so his father employed a programming tutor to teach him. Ben carson's mother did not give up on him even though he did not start up as a child prodigy, she kept exposing him to books until he out shined every one in his class and became a renowned neurosurgeon, the list also goes on and on.

1.) There is so much information hidden in books, it has worked for me and several others: Expose your children to books.
2.) "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" also "All play and no work still makes Jack a dull boy": reduce the TV they watch, pick educative programs for them to watch.
3.) Above all go to GOD, he is the manufacturer he has the blueprint of every one's life.

You started well and ended terribly. Long story short, thier's no such thing as talent - its just a fancy name we give to people who have perfected certain routine task's with repetition.

Want your child to be a talented singer, you as a parent should learn to sing, and sing with the kid. Children naturally gravitate to what the parents do, and are able to repeat boring task's with you - not notices how boring because - in thier minds , am having fun with dad or mum.

You cant teach, if thier's not fun or desire to learn. Get them the whole book's in the world. He might know all the formula's and blah blah.... but since their in no desire or connection to the task - their will be no serious application or attempt to fix problem's using this knowledge.

Forget about talent, and start by teaching your kids at a tender age, what you know - if your a lawyer, teach him what you can, if your a producer, shoe maker , akara seller.

As they grow and time's change - they will innovate and branch to other aspects, refining your art or lesson's to become successes in the society.

Most of the people you call talented - learnt from their parents. Stop deceiving yourselves and start teaching your child at a tender age what you know.

Everyone has a destiny and it is simple to succeed , where we place the most effort and interest - "interest" here is the watch word. Only interest/desire will give you the strength to innovate, combine, question or dare.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:33pm On May 29, 2013
samkoro:

Exactly what Micheal Jackson's dad did to him.Part of the reason he never had a childhood.Any way,spare the rod and spoil the child.

MJs dad was a drunkard who flogged him his wife, everyone for no reason. THat is a different case. he was a madman. not a disciplnarian.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 29, 2013
Psychologists will agree that PLAY IS AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT IN CHILD DEVELOPMENT !. Its important to have SAFE designated play areas for children to ride bicycle, run, jump, and play. Black children from POOR areas of UK MAY NOT HAVE PS3s, Xboxes, bikes and Flash toys BUT at least they can go to the public park and practice football and play on the swings.!! PUBLIC PLAY AREAS with government maintained apparatus gives Poor children a means of physical exercise, interactions, and stimulation. If CCTV is not available of course a responsible carer or adult should be there to keep guard. **FREEDOM TO PLAY GIVES CONFIDENCE and is CHARACTER BUILDING!** In Nigeria I've seen the golf Clubs..FOR ADULTS TO PLAY!... the clubs and beer parlours etc... WHERE ARE THE FREE PLAY AREAS FOR NIGERIAN KIDS ?? Or is Fun and Happiness ONLY for the wealthy?
Money is a big issue I know but the FG needs to address this and provide Mothers play groups and KEEP THE CHILDREN SAFE AND HAPPY...because its by the grace of God that todays impoverished Pure water sellers do not become tomorrows Armrobbers! sad ! Ok you may say British kids are spoilt and rude ( BUT NOT ALL), but Im saddened to see Nigerian children STILL hawking at young ages, and Im amazed when on a 12 hour airoplane flight I see 6 years old silently sitting like Stiff Robots almost too scared to decide choice of ice cream!.... [b][/b] PLEASE ALLOW OUR CHILDREN TO PLAY AND BE HAPPY! A HAPPY CHILD CAN BE A SUCCESSFUL CONFIDENT CHILD !!...its not only about beatings and books cry cry cry
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 29, 2013
[b][/b] How I wish all had opprtunity to reach potential ! cry

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by chipet67(m): 8:29pm On May 29, 2013
Buying toys for them also helps... There you'll see there reactions to it .

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by chipet67(m): 8:29pm On May 29, 2013
Buying toys for them also helps... There you'll see their reactions to it .

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by temhab(f): 11:29pm On May 29, 2013
wat about a 1 and half year old baby girl dat luv climbing anytin climbable

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MyVicky: 4:50pm On May 30, 2013
kodewrita: Simple.

---Expose them to a lot of experiences ( in my own case, music classes, scrabble, computer club etc) and see which one they really get excited about or stick to.
---Once identified, buy them a child-sized kit as early as possible ( e.g drawing kit, small computer, football kit including shin guards and ball, ballet attire, karate gi or WHATEVER they require).
---Enforce some discipline so that they stick with it to take it beyond passing fancy into early mastery.
---Give them opportunities to impress their peers with their new found skills, it builds self esteem and makes them want to get even better at it.
---keep in mind that they might know better about their chosen area than you do ( in spite of your age)
--Most importantly, find them a mentor/role model who might be a bit closer in age to them so they can find someone to copy and hopefully surpass. It is usually easier for them to ask such people questions than to ask you. Example, if your kid is really good at programming, find someone among your IT friends to mentor him on what to learn.

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Tolutheo(m): 10:53am On Jun 04, 2013
Please when pointing out people,s mistake always highlight the error, PLEASE SHOW WHERE I MENTIONED TALENT.
UncleJJ:

You started well and ended terribly. Long story short, thier's no such thing as talent - its just a fancy name we give to people who have perfected certain routine task's with repetition.

Want your child to be a talented singer, you as a parent should learn to sing, and sing with the kid. Children naturally gravitate to what the parents do, and are able to repeat boring task's with you - not notices how boring because - in thier minds , am having fun with dad or mum.

You cant teach, if thier's not fun or desire to learn. Get them the whole book's in the world. He might know all the formula's and blah blah.... but since their in no desire or connection to the task - their will be no serious application or attempt to fix problem's using this knowledge.

Forget about talent, and start by teaching your kids at a tender age, what you know - if your a lawyer, teach him what you can, if your a producer, shoe maker , akara seller.

As they grow and time's change - they will innovate and branch to other aspects, refining your art or lesson's to become successes in the society.

Most of the people you call talented - learnt from their parents. Stop deceiving yourselves and start teaching your child at a tender age what you know.

Everyone has a destiny and it is simple to succeed , where we place the most effort and interest - "interest" here is the watch word. Only interest/desire will give you the strength to innovate, combine, question or dare.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MyVicky: 1:30am On Jun 07, 2013
Tolutheo: Please when pointing out people,s mistake always highlight the error, PLEASE SHOW WHERE I MENTIONED TALENT.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Is Too Much To Tell Your Partner? / If You Had Your Way, At What Age Will You Like To Get Married / Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.