Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems (12064 Views)

African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? / Tony Tetuila Ft. 2face – African Man / 'You Are My African Queen' lyrics (2face Idibia) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by kobbebu(f): 11:55am On May 28, 2013

BBC World Service listeners recently suggested the African songs that summed up the continent to them.

This was to mark the 50th anniversary of the African Union – formerly the Organisation of African Unity.

BBC’s DJ Edu who compiled the songs voted into a special five-minute mix of 50 songs from 50 countries went on to picked the five songs that he personally felt represented Africa:

They included; African Queen by 2Face Idibia which Edu felt was a very special song. “If you play it anywhere in Africa, people know it. For me, it was the song that introduced African music to the world – you’d be on holiday in Jamaica and you’d hear it,” he said.

Also rounding the top five was Antenna by Fuse ODG a British musician of Ghanaian origin, Daima by Eric Wainaina from Kenya, Agolo by Benin-born Angelique Kidjo, and Motherland by Yvonne Chaka Chaka who is known as the “Princess of Africa”, and is a true ambassador of South African music.

[img]http://4.bp..com/_ikpsIoS-wzs/S_RdUXUMW4I/AAAAAAAAAgc/rIqof51TmKg/s1600/2face+Idibia.jpg[/img]

Source:http://naija366.com/2faces-african-queen-listed-among-africas-most-famous-anthems/

5 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On May 28, 2013
That's definitely true.
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 28, 2013
I would definitely add Sweet Mother by Prince Nico Mbarga

10 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by stylesco: 2:20pm On May 28, 2013
That song made me realise that music really has a spirit.

Whenever I hear that song, even just reading about it makes me feel so special and proud to be an African and a woman.

2face!! Thank you o jare.

3 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by IAMBREEZY: 2:20pm On May 28, 2013
Yeah
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Ublaize: 2:23pm On May 28, 2013
Those of u that usually rate D bang higher than 2baba why wasn't he listed?

3 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by tspun(m): 2:24pm On May 28, 2013
bros dat ur song deserve am abeg. But psquare omogemi for still day that list na.

1 Like

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by onyengbu: 2:26pm On May 28, 2013
style$co:
That song made me realise that music really has a spirit.

Whenever I hear that song, even just reading about it makes me feel so special and proud to be an African and a woman.

2face!! BlackFace Thank you o jare.

Fixed! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by gbogboti: 2:26pm On May 28, 2013
2Face, am so proud of you. You too good. No wonder all Nigerian girls want to bear your name. Those who couldn't got close by having kids in your name for themselves. Who no like better thing! Ochenyilo!!!

1 Like

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by AbuMikey(m): 2:27pm On May 28, 2013
Joromi by Victor Uwaifoh should be on that list also.
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by ifihearam: 2:29pm On May 28, 2013
Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dbanj"s Oliver twist is far better jor.
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by ifihearam: 2:30pm On May 28, 2013
kITA TITA: I would definitely add Sweet Mother by Prince Nico Mbarga

I agree with you but definitely not tuface
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by tpia5: 2:31pm On May 28, 2013
For me, it was the song that introduced African music to the world

what the hey?

what kind of ignorance is this?

i fear for this generation abeg.

2 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by tpia5: 2:33pm On May 28, 2013
bbc's DJ Edu

who is this person?
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by seyilabi(m): 2:34pm On May 28, 2013
Abu Mikey: Joromi by Victor Uwaifoh should be on that list also.
. African best and not Nigerian best mentioned here.
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Reyspin(m): 2:35pm On May 28, 2013
What about Dbanj's Oliver Twist?? I tot dey said it was a Universal hit.. Abi na only d beat dem gbadun ni?? Who carez so far Eja nla reman bigger for d Fisherman...
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by speeder(m): 2:35pm On May 28, 2013
There's this African musician who's not the best but made best through the lyrics.
Oliver twist is a hit song, well, within the shores of Nigeria made popular by channel stations. I remember when oliver twist was aired, we listened to it just like one of those song made by Mo'hits. Two weeks later, it was heard it was no. 9 at... That was the begining of its reign. Well, its reign was short lived. Go to England, ask an average citizen of oliver tist by D'banj, he'll feel dumb.
P-square is great. Infact they have a great song, most time poor lyrics but damn cool. There's is also shortlived but the singers are recurrent. There's two of there songs which is not well appreciated by 9ja but guy, it rocks. Good lyrics, good cordination, i rank it second, "I Love You", "Forever".

But there is this guy, he has this song that never dies. About 9 yrs now yet it rocks even through the tommy of a pregnant lady and the baby dances to it's rythym. Very good lyrics, very good cordinates. As rranked by an org in US(Bizzbook) the most popular and most played African songs at weddings, "no one like you"(pquare), "African queen"(the bald guy). In ranking this three, Twist is nowhere near them. As MI said "He's not in the league, help me tell them."
Well, since psquare and d other is left out, make ur choice. Psquares songs are shortlived, sometimes poor Lyrics but very awesome. The bald guy fucking got the best lyrics, after 9 yrs of releasing, children sing as though they were in the video. Well, I've forgotten the bald guys name remind me.
. Hit the like button jor.

14 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:38pm On May 28, 2013
Is dt in 1824?
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by bluejeff(m): 2:38pm On May 28, 2013
I don't think i have ever heard about the kenyan person on that list.
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by uvoh(m): 2:39pm On May 28, 2013
Also rounding the top five was Antenna by Fuse ODG a British musician of Ghanaian origin.

Fuse in African most famous anthem list? U got to be kidding me! I totally disagree with this particular pick. This song will not have d capacity to spark nostalgia in years to come cos its just a Typical club song dat wont last 3months in ones head abi its because he is a British of Ghanian descent? If am not mistaken thats d reason why he made d list.

2 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Afam4eva(m): 2:40pm On May 28, 2013
kITA TITA: I would definitely add Sweet Mother by Prince Nico Mbarga
Africa's most famous not Nigeria's most famous.
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Afam4eva(m): 2:41pm On May 28, 2013
ifihearam: Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Education is not that expensive. It says most famous not best.

3 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by mysticgal(f): 2:43pm On May 28, 2013
Welldone Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 28, 2013
Hope KNAAN's song is dia!

1 Like

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by buchito1(m): 2:46pm On May 28, 2013
Pls I dnt undastand dis post oº°˚˚°ºoo!!!! More xplanation!
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by PaulIM(m): 2:46pm On May 28, 2013
Hmmm
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 28, 2013
2Face Idibia you remain an Idol to African at all time. that fact is spot on( that song"African Queen" brought african music to the world). Yes dats fact cos African Queen was also the first song to be aired on MTV Base when it was launched in Africa. 2baba u be my baba all my life

2 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Kingslaw(m): 2:48pm On May 28, 2013
ifihearam: Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tah! My radio station never even play this your song before abi na Dbanj you talk self.
Ontop of the world would have been better.

@ OP that is nice to hear.

1 Like

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by BrutusOj(m): 2:50pm On May 28, 2013
Reyspin: What about Dbanj's Oliver Twist?? I tot dey said it was a Universal hit.. Abi na only d beat dem gbadun ni?? Who carez so far Eja nla reman bigger for d Fisherman...
We are talking about classical musics with a well defined meaning and interpretation...musics that touches d body,soul,heart n brain...

1 Like

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by tpia5: 3:03pm On May 28, 2013
its a pity!!!!
Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by Joey82(m): 3:03pm On May 28, 2013
I'm surprised Brenda Fassie's vuli ndela does not make the list.
that song is by far an anthem compared to fuse's and chaka chaka's songs.

3 Likes

Re: 2face’s African Queen Among Africa’s Most Famous Anthems by nerodenero: 3:05pm On May 28, 2013
African queen remains one of the few songs that has come to stay and will eventually outlive 2baba.He remains one of the best in Nigeria and Africa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

50 Cent Vs Eedris Abdulkareem,whom Do U Support? / WaYemi Alade - Single And Searching Ft. Falz (Video) / Here's The Lyrics Of Only Me By 2face + Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.