Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,742 members, 7,955,834 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:29 PM

Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military (28946 Views)

Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Kano Bomb Blast, Share Pic Of The Bomber / Download Video As Boko Haram Members Flee Sambisa Forest Over Military Attack / Abubakar Shekau: Boko Haram Claims Victories Over Military (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by korel9: 7:02pm On May 28, 2013
The leader of Islamist extremist group Boko Haram claims in a video obtained by AFP on Tuesday that Nigerian soldiers have retreated during an ongoing military offensive and insurgents have sustained little damage.

The video marks the first public comments from Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau since the start of a sweeping offensive by the Nigerian army on May 15 and also includes a call for foreign Islamists to join the fight in Nigeria.
A video grab made on March 21, 2013 from a video distributed to reporters by purported intermediaries of the Islamist group linked to Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, shows the suspected leader of the Nigerian Islamist group linked to Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, Imam Abu Muhammad Ibn Muhammad Abubakar Ash Shekawi, also known as Abubakar Shekau, at an undisclosed location in Nigeria. AFP

A video grab made on March 21, 2013 from a video distributed to reporters by purported intermediaries of the Islamist group linked to Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, shows the suspected leader of the Nigerian Islamist group linked to Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, Imam Abu Muhammad Ibn Muhammad Abubakar Ash Shekawi, also known as Abubakar Shekau, at an undisclosed location in Nigeria. AFP

Shekau’s whereabouts cannot be determined in the video, in which he is shown seated while dressed in camouflage with a turban, an AK-47 at his side.

His comments contradict statements from the military, which has claimed major successes during the offensive, including the destruction of Boko Haram camps and dozens of arrests.

It has been impossible to verify the claims of either side independently, with the military having cut mobile phone service in much of the country’s northeast and access to remote locations restricted.

“Since we started this ongoing war which they call state of emergency … in some instances soldiers who faced us turned and ran,” Shekau said in the hour-long video.

He claimed Nigerian forces “threw down their arms in flight.”

He called on like-minded Islamists in countries including Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq to join the fight to create an Islamic state in Nigeria.

“We call to us our brethren in these countries I mentioned. Oh! Our brethren, come to us,” he said in the video, which alternates between Arabic and the Hausa language spoken across northern Nigeria.

The video later purports to show vehicles and weapons seized from Nigerian soldiers.

Shekau, designated a global terrorist by the United States last year, repeats earlier statements that Boko Haram “will not stop the kidnap of your women and children until you set free our women and children, and our brethren.”

He also says Boko Haram’s goal is either the creation of an Islamic state or “martyrdom”.

The video was delivered to AFP though an intermediary in a manner similar to previous Boko Haram messages. The images of Shekau in the video are consistent with those previously released.

Nigeria launched the offensive against Boko Haram after President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in three states in the country’s northeast, the Islamist insurgents’ stronghold.

Several thousand troops were deployed and fighter jets hit alleged Boko Haram camps.

On May 20, the military said it had re-established control in five remote areas of the northeast where Islamist insurgents had seized territory.

It had also claimed the arrests of 120 suspected insurgents.

The military’s latest statement says 25 insurgents were arrested and three killed during operations at the weekend, including one identified as “Abba” included on a most-wanted list. One soldier was also killed, it said.

“Troops of the special forces have intercepted messages sent to fleeing insurgents urging them not to give up but fight to the end,” the statement said.

“The attempt by some of them to heed the call was foiled during the weekend as they were trailed to some settlements and towns towards the border where they plan to regroup.”

Last week, the military also said it had freed three women and six children abducted by Boko Haram.

Nigeria’s government has also pledged to release certain suspects held in connection with the insurgency as a peace gesture, including all women and children.

Boko Haram has waged its insurgency since 2009, with an estimated 3,600 people left dead, including killings by the security forces.

The group has pushed for the creation of an Islamic state in Africa’s most populous nation and largest oil producer, though its demands have repeatedly shifted.

It is believed to include various factions with differing aims.

Nigeria’s military has come under heavy criticism over its response to Boko Haram, including allegations of extra-judicial killings, arbitrary arrests and unlawful detentions.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/boko-haram-claims-victories-over-military/

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by shyvicky: 7:45pm On May 28, 2013
first to comment, boko boys or men !!! The military has shown pictures of taking over your camp,and you guys are doing bombing online,tellings us that you are winning,do like you did in this day bombing show us pictures of nigeria soldiers fleeing,and let me ask you,if you are winning why are u crying for help?

60 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by 2goodbobo(m): 7:59pm On May 28, 2013
Why is Shekau calling for external help. You aint seen nothing yet. JTF kill em all.

16 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 28, 2013
he should show us does women and children he advertisd the last time naa.......he is calling on other muslims around the world.....chaiiiii

5 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 28, 2013
If they really are winning the fight, then why are they calling for external help?

The facts speak for itself.

3 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by IYANGBALI: 11:08pm On May 28, 2013
emmysenior: What's the difference between this religion and the devil?

I had to use red colour because I now see that religion as the devil from the pit of hell
seconded

27 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by LondonX: 11:08pm On May 28, 2013
Propaganda war at its finest and purest form.

Both sides crack me up everyday with their lousy claims, to be honest.

Nigerians are hysterical!! grin

3 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Handsomeemmy(m): 11:11pm On May 28, 2013
Why call for help if you are on the winning side? I can not be going to heaven and still seek for help from satan.

4 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Eazeee(m): 11:11pm On May 28, 2013
I agree with him n dont blame him since d JTF dont release pictures or videos of their operation. All we hear are stories from Generals who are not even in d battle field. Dont d JTF hav journalist 2 video n report on their breakthrough n progress? D Jihadist is simply trying 2 outsmart them since propaganda itself is part of war

14 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by WIZGUY69(m): 11:12pm On May 28, 2013
cry imam wey dey mad!!

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by brownlord: 11:13pm On May 28, 2013
na moff u dey make shekau, show us the hole u hide
Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by lanAfo: 11:13pm On May 28, 2013
But come to think of it--AFP meets intermediaries of BH and help them spread d video. AFP na foreign media, yet BH got link to have a space in d media. This is to confirm d usual conspiracy theory thru foreign aid to make africa a war zone and a business venture for weapon sales and oil

15 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by iphy42: 11:14pm On May 28, 2013
May God save us from BH evil
Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Kk4(m): 11:15pm On May 28, 2013
Boko haram is trying to stay relevant...we know wasup BRETHREN!

4 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Rexphobia(m): 11:15pm On May 28, 2013
I think 'defeat' has a new meaning in Nigeria. Boko defeating the military, the same way Jang DEFEATED Amaechi in the just concluded NGF.... I dey laff *in OBJ's voice*

4 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by XHTML: 11:15pm On May 28, 2013
Why would he call for external help when he's "winning"? Bunch of Retards! angry

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by lawizle(m): 11:16pm On May 28, 2013
My cock rages on!!...my cock rages on!!
Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by OduntanGabriel(m): 11:18pm On May 28, 2013
Boko haram abi wetin u call ur name? If u guys are winning as u claimed , there would be no noise of calling on ur afganisthan,pakistan brodas to come to ur aid.... It shows Nigeria army are on top of their game,.... Long live nigeria army.... Boko haram me self dey come soon to come arrest that ur foolish boss!!!! Abeg na play I dey play ooo

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Castos(m): 11:19pm On May 28, 2013
Bia seun remove all those laws from the reply page sharperly

6 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by honouruy(m): 11:19pm On May 28, 2013
Chai! See mind game but it won't work. Nigeria army all d way. kill all d crokoch

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Nobody: 11:20pm On May 28, 2013
Lord lugard,u don c ur handwork?Imagine,d so called boko want to islamize dis country,thunder strike ur geneh...

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by chris365(m): 11:21pm On May 28, 2013
London-X:
Propaganda war at its finest and purest form.

Both sides crack me up everyday with their lousy claims, to be honest.

Nigerians are hysterical!! grin
If you don't know something, just learn from other people's comments.
so you mean you didn't see the videos of their bombed out camps and the military mixing with the locals for further corporation? and we've seen the rescued women and children. It's people like you shekau made this propaganda for, so swallow am and dilute with alomo.
Abeg Nigerian military is too professional for that. this isn't Mali. The guy is just desperate for help and he wont get it cos terrorists only look for weak countries, and Nigeria is not there destination.

21 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by AbdulAdam56(m): 11:21pm On May 28, 2013
Speechless i am confused about bh boyz and jtf.
Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Capnd143(m): 11:21pm On May 28, 2013
Hahahaha. Why cry for foreign help from "the religion of peace" if the are winning the war! This is just a stragedy to cause mistrust between "nigerian special forces" and "civil populace" . . .! Even though the army were to retreat during combat, last time i checked, "retreating" is a tactical combat procedure, aimed at reinforcing to re-attack with force the aggressor! The can call for help all the want! No freaking arabian wil be granted visa to our Dear country . . .f . .uck their asses

6 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 28, 2013
only if this stupid man would follow the ways of prophet muhammed....(S.A.W)....rosululah lived with the jew and christians in yethrib or madinah without creating an islamic state....now shekau want an islamic state in a region that belong to both xtian nd muslims... this man is not a muslim wahlai...prophet muhammed (S.A.W) said whoever hurt a non muslim hurts me,and whoever hurt me hurt Allah....now boko bois are hurting the non-muslim in the name of islam...End Time.....

34 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by marvelousabah(m): 11:24pm On May 28, 2013
if u ask me i wil say he is jst sayin dos trash to strenghthen his fellow confusd heads.

3 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Temismith(f): 11:27pm On May 28, 2013
Dis boko boys never sieze to amuse MƐ sha o.they are so very full of dem selves.hian! C gut Oº°˚˚°ºo!
Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by fitzmayowa: 11:27pm On May 28, 2013
I dey laff...Shekau must be a comedian, indeed they are winning the war, by running away from their 72 virgins been prepared for them, through JTF bullets

5 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 28, 2013
What a religion, what a deceit. I don't comment on unverified claim by goats undecided
Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by SenatorTobijah(m): 11:31pm On May 28, 2013
Claim victory indeed. Soon they'll change their name to "ÓSÒNDU"

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Claims Victories Over Military by jhydebaba(m): 11:31pm On May 28, 2013
The state of the nation is not funny presently. All these could have been averted if my former and present presidents had a fore-sight and have put up measures to check poverty long ago instead of siphoning funds. Now, we turn all our resources in fighting our fellow country men, I begin to ask myself how many lives we still have to waste before peace is totally restored Can't all the money spent on security now be channeled into productive means for the citizens before now Are politicians not the root cause of these menace when they give out ammunitions during election period which are hard to retrieve

If the government fail in the quest for reducing indices like: poverty, employment, power supply, corruption etc. It'll only be a matter of time before another group spring up even if we win the battle against BH.

I weep for Nigeria, it's as if we are on the verge of break up lipsrsealed

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abdullahi Bin-Abdul's Phone Stolen In Abuja / Nigeria’s Sovereignty Is Negotiable, Says Soyinka / Rex Tillerson Arrives Nigeria (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.