Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,735 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions (7760 Views)

UK -97% Of Biafran Vote In Favour Of The Independence Of The Biafran Territories / Isaac Boro: Classic Example Of Biafran Who Betrayed Biafra. Osundefender / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by manchy7531: 8:14am On May 31, 2013
as we celebrate the remembrance of Biafra and igbo Happy survival day, i do use this opportunity to celebrate some of our inventions and unforgettable memories of Biafra through images.

First of all our anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRpzfH4JFWM

5 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by manchy7531: 8:15am On May 31, 2013
more

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by manchy7531: 8:16am On May 31, 2013
more

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by onyeego(m): 8:41am On May 31, 2013
Wow nice am so proud

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by saintneo(m): 8:41am On May 31, 2013
Salutations

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by kirian202: 8:57am On May 31, 2013
Biafra till I die. Long live Africa long live Biafra

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by nedu2000(m): 9:02am On May 31, 2013
'Necessity is trully the mother of invention" .....U̶̲̥̅̊ didn't add 'awka' gungrin

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 9:17am On May 31, 2013
Wow, Am so proud

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by kunlekunle: 9:30am On May 31, 2013
wey cutlass
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by slap1(m): 9:54am On May 31, 2013
Great work. I hope the purpose of this thread is not abused.

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 10:16am On May 31, 2013
Nigeria is a cage: we dont have the freedom to show the world our ingenuity.

In Biafra, we will focus our our attention on exports and not on imports.

Africa should wait for us!

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by homesteady(m): 10:40am On May 31, 2013
I can remember my chemistry teacher telling us that, if Biafra were allowed to leave Nigeria, they would have been the most developed country in Africa!! And this pictures confirms his words!! Respect to my brothers from the EAST!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:12am On May 31, 2013
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2011/08/biafran-air-force-b26-aircraft-napoleon130.jpg?w=640[/img]

This Invader was essentially a civilian machine and, to facilitate its export from Europe, it was described as a survey aircraft destined for an organisation in Gabon and carried no offensive armament. As a result of its previous missions it had an unusually shaped "solid" nose. It was ferried in its original bare metal colour scheme but was quickly camouflaged in Biafra with a two tone green/brown scheme on the upper surfaces and pale blue undersides with a distinctive sharkmouth and glaring eye, a scheme which found much favour with the enthusiastic Biafrans. The rudder was painted in the three national colours, black, green and red with a Biafran rising sun insignia superimposed on the middle section.

The electrical bomb release mechanisms were still in place but were designed to function with conventional bombs of a certain configuration and weight. The Biafran bombs were makeshift affairs often fashioned from oil drums and gas cylinders so were in no way compatible with the relatively sophisticated systems in the Invader. Zumbach, who by this time was calling himself “Johnny or Kamikaze Brown” had no choice but to instruct his "bombardiers" to throw them out the opened bomb bay.

The bombs were made by a Biafran artificer, Willy Achukwe, whose former trade, it was rumoured, lay in the manufacture of fireworks! Willy's bombs were marvels of ingenuity and even included delayed action devices. Zumbach describes one creation having "a base containing phosphorus suspended in an insulating liquid. A Bickford fuse ran from this compartment through a partition plugged with wax, into a second stage. This compartment contained gunpowder. The third was crammed with scrap metal. Two big nails protruded from the base of the thing. The impact of landing drives the nails into the base of the bomb and pierces the first compartment. The insulating liquid runs out of the resulting punctures and the air gets in. It sets the phosphorus alight, the heat melts the wax and the Bickford fuse detonates the gunpowder."

It goes without saying that no machine guns suitable for aircraft mounting were available in Biafra. However, the Biafrans were masters of improvisation and, following a visit to the government armoury from which he was invited to take his pick of the available equipment, Zumbach returned to the airfield with two antiquated army issue Czech made machine guns. Biafran mechanics soon had the first one mounted in the nose of the Invader with the barrel protruding from the nose. The hapless forward gunner was obliged to crouch in the dim recesses of the nose cone, without any view of the outside world and without any voice communication with his pilot. Again, Biafran ingenuity came to the rescue. A length of cord was attached to the gunner's arm with the other end threaded through to the pilot's station. Zumbach, equipped with a simple home made gunsight, simply tugged once on the cord to instruct the gunner to start firing and twice when he was to stop. A simple solution! The second one was rigged to fire through the open bomb bay.

The 10th July saw Zumbach and his Biafran crew heading north for Makurdi, a supply centre for the Nigerian army some 125 miles north of Enugu. They had been alerted by listening to radio transmissions from Nigerian aircraft that a number of freight aircraft were inbound for Makurdi. The crew consisted of a co-pilot/radio operator, Godwin Ezeilo, a navigator/forward gunner "Freddy", a rear gunner above the bomb doors and two "bombardiers". Approaching the target, Zumbach had Ezeilo call Makurdi airport to ask for landing instructions to give the impression that they were a routine Nigerian flight. The ploy worked and ensured that the Nigerian AA batteries remained quiet.

More: http://vectaris.net/id307.html
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by BlackBaron: 11:53am On May 31, 2013
What's the name of that armoured vehicle?
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by diarra94(m): 12:31pm On May 31, 2013
Where was that armoured tank during the war?
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 31, 2013
diarra94: Where was that armoured tank during the war?

They used them.

Yet, recall that Britain, Russia, etc not only supplied superior weapons, they also sent mercenaries.

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 08, 2013
Thank God, biafra, never succeeded else, we being d minority would have really suffered and brutally dealth With under there whims not 2 tlk of marginalization. I thnk God everyday for dat failed state. 2God be praised. N there shall be no Biafra in jesus naame.

No wonder our own Isaac Adaka Bor fought aagainst them.

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 08, 2013
Thank God, biafra, never succeeded else, we being d minority would have really suffered and brutally dealth. With under there wilms. I thnk God everyday for dat failed state. 2God be praised. N there shall be no Biafra in jesus naame.

No wonder our own Isaac Adaka Boro fought against them.
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:29pm On Jun 08, 2013
Raymondenyi: Thank God, biafra, never succeeded else, we being d minority would have really suffered and brutally dealth. With under there wilms. I thnk God everyday for dat failed state. 2God be praised. N there shall be no Biafra in jesus naame.

No wonder our own Isaac Adaka Bor fought aagainst them.

Lol.

At least ubder Biafra, some of you would own the oil wells in your background instead of abandonning all to aboki and thanking an inexistent god.

3 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by IGBOSON1: 9:38pm On Jun 08, 2013
That Biafran national anthem is so stirring! smiley

Please ignore the guy two posts ^above^.
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Ojiofor: 10:24pm On Jun 08, 2013
Land of the rising sun we cherish thee.
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 3:54am On Jun 09, 2013
Meaning of Invention
An invention is a unique or novel device, method, composition or process. It may be an improvement upon a machine or product, or a new process for creating an object or a result. An invention that achieves a completely unique function or result may be a radical breakthrough. Such works are novel and not obvious to others skilled in the same field.

That being said, Kudos to the scientists but it wasnt an invention it was improvisation
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 8:21am On Jun 09, 2013
Raymondenyi: Thank God, biafra, never succeeded else, we being d minority would have really suffered and brutally dealth. With under there wilms. I thnk God everyday for dat failed state. 2God be praised. N there shall be no Biafra in jesus naame.

No wonder our own Isaac Adaka Boro fought against them.

Pardon me, if I am wrong, but I believe that you are in the Niger Delta.
This is 2013 and not 1967.

We are heading to Biafra and we don't you to be part of it.
You have the choice to remain slaves in your fathers land under Nigeria of you can take your destiny into your hand s and seek for self determination. Let not your heart be troubled, Biafrans do not need even a single oil well to survive.

You believe that the minority would had been killed? well, it is more than forty years since e after the war! Minorities are still being killed in Nigeria, Sarowiwa was such a victim. I think you are dreaming, please wake up.
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Raymonbell(m): 8:37am On Jun 09, 2013
Biafra can never survive without the help of the son of oduduwa.*fact*
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 09, 2013
@noble zone, well done, U have said it all, If the new Biafrra excludes us in Niger Delta den we don't have any probs wt ur ambitions.. U can go ahead I wish y'all success

Buh reality be told, u know it will be almost impossible 2 achieve Biafra as a state now,as d day progresses it bcomes more difficult n even in times wen none of ur governors support d state it becomes only but a satire (in anambara dia governor sent police men to massacre innocent youths cus of dem proclaiming biafra) many others will fellow suit at d slightest provocation.

I'll end by saying " most times men work n search 4 independence n change of leadership believing dats where salvation or glory lies buh in reality dey only work 4 dia ruin as it gets hotter" - dats a wise aphorism 4rm d world renowed Machiavelli's necromansa.... A case in sight: southern sudan, Libya , iraq, these re only but a few contemporaries as antiquity has kept innumerable examples. I rest my case
Comrade Ray
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 09, 2013
Biafra
We lost a war,
But unlike any other black nation, we gained an inheritance!
Our fathers and mothers have left for us a clear picture of our ability and future.

We are not confused.
We are not dependent about it.
We know how hard it can be.

Yes, the task is on us to lift ourselves away from the bottom of the worlds totem pole.
Where the rest of the black race are too happy to call a home.

One task is freedom, the greater task is emancipation!

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 09, 2013
Raymondenyi: @noble zone, well done, U have said it all, If the new Biafrra excludes us in Niger Delta den we don't have any probs wt ur ambitions.. U can go ahead I wish y'all success

Buh reality be told, u know it will be almost impossible 2 achieve Biafra as a state now,as d day progresses it bcomes more difficult n even in times wen none of ur governors support d state it becomes only but a satire (in anambara dia governor sent police men to massacre innocent youths cus of dem proclaiming biafra) many others will fellow suit at d slightest provocation.

I'll end by saying " most times men work n search 4 independence n change of leadership believing dats where salvation or glory lies buh in reality dey only work 4 dia ruin as it gets hotter" - dats a wise aphorism 4rm d world renowed Machiavelli's necromansa.... A case in sight: southern sudan, Libya , iraq, these re only but a few contemporaries as antiquity has kept innumerable examples. I rest my case
Comrade Ray

After eating, i wl have more time for u
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 10, 2013
Raymondenyi: @noble zone, well done, U have said it all, If the new Biafrra excludes us in Niger Delta den we don't have any probs wt ur ambitions.. U can go ahead I wish y'all success

Comrade Ray

The new fight for Biafra is intellectual in nature! Yet if your concern is that people are being killed for mentioning Biafra, I will really die a happy man because I want Biafra than to be slaughtered as one of the numbers in the "every day causalities" in Nigeria. The number our people killed (especially in the North) for being Nigerians is far more than those killed for mentioning Biafra.

Death is death, but I would rather die fighting for Biafra than to die for the jungle called Nigeria.

Leave the burden of running the nation for us when we get independence. Our case is different from the countries you mentioned. If we can continue to move on in a hostile country like Nigeria, then just imagine what we can do if we are to run our own affairs. Nigeria is dragging us back.

The concern in Nigeria is occupies what seat, who gets which appointment, etc. Our concern in Biafra is industrialization, creativity and productivity. That is why i told you, we don't need oil.

Finally, Isaac Boro died while fighting against Biafra, Sarowiwa fought Biafra and survived, but after that Nigeria hung him?

1 Like

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 10, 2013
noblezone:

The new fight for Biafra is intellectual in nature! Yet if your concern is that people are being killed for mentioning Biafra, I will really die a happy man because I want Biafra than to be slaughtered as one of the numbers in the "every day causalities" in Nigeria. The number our people killed (especially in the North) for being Nigerians is far more than those killed for mentioning Biafra.

Death is death, but I would rather die fighting for Biafra than to die for the jungle called Nigeria.

Leave the burden of running the nation for us when we get independence. Our case is different from the countries you mentioned. If we can continue to move on in a hostile country like Nigeria, then just imagine what we can do if we are to run our own affairs. Nigeria is dragging us back.

The concern in Nigeria is occupies what seat, who gets which appointment, etc. Our concern in Biafra is industrialization, creativity and productivity. That is why i told you, we don't need oil.

Finally, Isaac Boro died while fighting against Biafra, Sarowiwa fought Biafra and survived, but after that Nigeria hung him?

buh If I may ask , what is really informing ur decision on the fervent biafra quest, I could understand that during the 67 quest ,it originated 4rm the brutal massacre of almost 200 igbo military officers down to the pogrom where almost 30,000 easterners mainly igbos were slaughtered, dwn to the murtala muhammed led counter coup,where Ironsi was brutally slaughtered, the obvious divide n polarity neccessitated the decision for the united Biafra front, any sane eastern man then would have followed suit, considering the obvious divide; but contemporarily, U cant see such, there is no slaughter or obvious sourcing out n targetted killings of the igbos, It doesn't happen like that, an igbo is now the chief of army staff. so we re heading somewhere, there is really no obvious reason now to clamour for a sovereign Biafra.

One thing of note, is the bigger we re the stronger we become, in our diversity we find strength,in our different voices and desperation we reach a more purified decisions. Should U channel ur strength like me into a better Nigeria , we could see something to smile and laugh about. I like ur spirit my brother, I like ur fervency for nationalism, I like ur activism for change, U just need to channel it to the right axis n let us make a change

Pls follow me, n lets discuss more. thank you

2 Likes

Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2013
Wat do u say abt Igbos that have taken up the spirit of 1 Nigeria long ago and are in evry part of d country investing and developing those places, has it been appreciated? Who are u asking to join hands with u to make a better nation?

We are dealing with parochial and non-progressive dudes in dis entity
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by SmartTalk: 7:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
From a subsequent post:

[b]I quite like this new Anthem. The previous Biafran anthem, though reflecting the mood of determination to struggle against all odds to survive hatred and killings from our enemies, was quite grim and I always wondered if little children were expected to sing it. The anthem would have had to be updated anyway. Little Biafran children of the time were quite accustomed to seeing death all around them so the old anthem would have been okay in that context, but if Biafra successfully seceded, the old anthem would have been too morbid for a new generation of Biafrans children in a prosperous country. I like this update to the old anthem, it is suitable to a future Biafran state that would emerge from the natural implosion of Nigeria rather than a war with Biafrans. It says we have finally triumphed over our foes, and the struggles of our heroes past we would hold dear and cherish forever. I would like to know if this anthem was also inspired by other European separatist songs like the last one was.[/b]

Reply to earlier post:

Raymondenyi:

buh If I may ask , what is really informing ur decision on the fervent biafra quest, I could understand that during the 67 quest ,it originated 4rm the brutal massacre of almost 200 igbo military officers down to the pogrom where almost 30,000 easterners mainly igbos were slaughtered, dwn to the murtala muhammed led counter coup,where Ironsi was brutally slaughtered, the obvious divide n polarity neccessitated the decision for the united Biafra front, any sane eastern man then would have followed suit, considering the obvious divide; but contemporarily, U cant see such, there is no slaughter or obvious sourcing out n targetted killings of the igbos, It doesn't happen like that, an igbo is now the chief of army staff. so we re heading somewhere, there is really no obvious reason now to clamour for a sovereign Biafra.

One thing of note, is the bigger we re the stronger we become, in our diversity we find strength,in our different voices and desperation we reach a more purified decisions. Should U channel ur strength like me into a better Nigeria , we could see something to smile and laugh about. I like ur spirit my brother, I like ur fervency for nationalism, I like ur activism for change, U just need to channel it to the right axis n let us make a change

Pls follow me, n lets discuss more. thank you

The motivating factor for the establishment of Biafran independence at this time is progress of the Black race and justice for the Biafran people. What I am more interested in discussing is your support for Biafra on the provision that the Niger Delta is left out. Most Biafrans would agree that the Niger Delta, especially those that take a referendum, should choose for themselves. The portions of the Niger Delta that vote for a separate existence from Biafra should be excluded from Biafra. That takes care of your concern. I would prefer ALL of the Niger Delta to be separate from Biafra but we need to consider the wishes of some minority ethnic groups that may want to be part of Biafra. Having token appointments of Igbo people in an unimportant country like Nigeria is not satisfactory; we believe instead in organic and contributory economic progress not civil government posts regulated by federal character.

If you truly believe that size confers any advantage, then you and your Niger Delta brothers should elect to remain Nigerians. There is enough diversity in Igboland to last millennia and Biafran independence will show just how diverse we are and enable us to use this diversity for creative purposes unlike the destructive direction that diversity causes in Nigeria.

Kindly keep to your word of supporting Biafran secession while we keep to ours of excluding the Niger Delta - based on referendum - from Biafra.

Now about Biafran technology and ingenuity:
Biafra is the pride of African ingenuity and originality. Richard West, like I quoted in another post, said Biafran defeat would mark the end of African independence in St Petersburg times. He knew what he was talking about. Now there is little or no technological innovation in Africa, and no technological research if foreign firms like IBM are not involved. The West has found their way of stifling any competition from Africa of the kind they face from Asia and Nigerians are their willing accomplices. The Igbo aphorism that "if you want to keep a man down, you have to stay down with him" has been Nigerian's story after the civil war. But that situation cannot last forever; Nigeria will implode and Biafra shall emerge on the world stage, and God is with his people, the Biafrans.
Re: Untold Stories Of Biafran Inventions by Desola(f): 7:18pm On Jun 14, 2013
OMG!!! The wheels on that supposed armour tank loose like someone stole the tyres from keke Raleigh. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Enugu Rally: President Goodluck Jonathan In Enugu;blast Buhari - Read Quote / I Laughed For Good 30 mins. Reading This Tweet By Reno / Us Did Not Predict Nigeria’s Break-up In 2015 – Ambassador Mcculley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.