Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation (240012 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Invest In Oil Palm Plantation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by cordj2: 7:12am On Jun 04, 2013
NIFOR also fabricate tools & equipment used for oil palm production
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 7:21am On Jun 04, 2013
cordj2: @okine4real
Buying nursery from IMO state and transporting it to Delta state is not a prudent idea, cus u have NIFOR @ ur backyard in Benin. NIFOR in Benin sells nursery for #70 cus it is subsidized by Federal Gov. Each agric ministry from all states gets their supply of nurseries from NIFOR. States sells @ #150 cus they pay those that tend the nurseries before farmers pick it up. NIFOR in Benin sells a manual on oil palm production for #500 and on page 12 they recommend 9 meter spacing.Don't let ur greed cause u to shoot urself on the feet. No oil palm will strive with ur type of spacing. Planting should be done with collaring / canning at the same time, this is done to wade off rodent from eating the young nursery. Canning/collaring can be done using tin or wire mesh.

felixzo1: all the seeds sold at nifor are hybrid tenera spp. maturing at 3 yrs.

information reaching me these morning saying grass cutters has starting eating the palms. Please i want to erect scare crows in the farm. Do you think these would scare the grass cutters away? if do i go for the net they where talking about? if i use net how much would each cost?

@felixzol pls send me your phone no
@cordj2 pls send me your phone no

mine email is okine4real@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by cordj2: 11:14am On Jun 04, 2013
okine4real:

information reaching me these morning saying grass cutters has starting eating the palms. Please i want to erect scare crows in the farm. Do you think these would scare the grass cutters away? if do i go for the net they where talking about? if i use net how much would each cost?

@felixzol pls send me your phone no
@cordj2 pls send me your phone no

mine email is okine4real@yahoo.com
Tin collaring is #50 for one while wire is #5,000 for bundle. You can source for it Anywhere they tend nursery

Thanks.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 9:37am On Jun 05, 2013
I was told the grass cutters eat about 40 palms... These means the 40 palms have been condemn. These is what the grass cutter does, They dig the Palms from the root and eat it up, there by killing the palms. So mine Mum went to the market to buy cloths for the scare crows. They installed about 30 or more scare crows around the farm. As at these morning i called the guys working on the farm, they said they where removing the palm the grass cutter eat, and planting another once on the same spot.

Also the guys working on the farm said as at these morning, that the grass cutter did not come to eat the palms. I hope and believe its because of the scare crow which is chasing them away.

felixzo1: the recommended spacing for oil palm is 9 meters by 9 meters.giving 143 trees per hectare.(100m by 100m)oil palm reaches it maturity by 8 to 9 years. (oil palm start producing 3 yrs after planting)when fully matured a tenera spp. oil palm can give 12 fruits a year weighing between 35 to 45 kg,oil yield per hectare can reach 7200 liters .(http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/t0309e/T0309E03.htm)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_oil)my 7 m by 7m spacing is high density spacing and often not recommended. what you heard from nifor was 8.7metres not 8.7 feet. nobody will tell you to plant a tree at that density. watch the video i posted earlier and read the recommended links, before you make a big mistake.

you said, oil palm can give up to 12 fruits a year weighing 35kg to 45kg, mine question here is... would each fruit weigh 35kg to 45kg or its the whole 12 fruits that would weigh the said 35kg to 45kg?

How many palms would produce the said 7200 liters of oil and at what year of maturity would the palms be able to produce the 7200 liters of oil.

Also at the said three years which the palms starts fruiting.... how many liters of oil can an investor be preparing to produce.

I really appreciate for people to contribute in these thread.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by felixzo1(m): 10:21am On Jun 05, 2013
How many palms would produce the said 7200 liters of oil and at what year of maturity would the palms be able to produce the 7200 liters of oil.
Also at the said three years which the palms starts fruiting.... how many liters of oil can an investor be preparing to produce.

i sent you my phone number in the email you provided here. call me, i will explain more. the oil palm is very profitable.you have made a good investment.a tenera palm tree under good management and adequate rainfall starts yielding fruits at 3 yrs of field planting. the fruits at first are very small but increases gradually.at between 8 to 9 yrs. an average fresh fruit bunch will weigh between 25kg and 45kg. let me put it in this way, expect to get at least 40 liters of palm oil from each tenera palm tree at this stage. but at 3yrs, just expect 20litres from 6 palm trees.yields are subject to good management practice.but yields of 7200 liters oil palm oil has been harvested from 143 trees of oil palm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Ajasnoop: 11:46am On Jun 05, 2013
okine4real:

5M is a lot of money...If you go by what @ felixzo1: said, he said he used a spacing of 7 meter triangle...which would eat lots of space.. But for me i used 8.7 feet. meaning i used about 3 meter spacing. If you go by @ felixzo1: spacing that means if you have one hecter which is 100M by 100M you would have about 200 to 250 palm... and with that you would get about 2200 liters of palm oil per year... As for me the oil is very small. So if you must go by @ felixzo1: spacing you must or should have like 200 hecter which would enable you plant about 31,000 palms. but if you go by mine own spacing believe me with just 10 hecters, you are sure of getting about 13,500 palms... with with 13,500 palms you are talking about sweet profit.

But i have not gone to the village to see how the crops are and how the spacing is, all i know is, i do all the calling from Lagos... If you are in Heaven and you have a phone No, i would place a call to you, so far i want to seek information from you. When mine mum was buying the palms from NIFOR, she asked the workers there, that we want to use a spacing of 8.7 Feet and the said its okay..

But if anybody wants to go by spacing of 7 Meter, pls go to inside the village and buy your lands.... go to where you would buy your land for 50k or 60k per plot. so if you buy the lands very cheap you would have lots of money available to buy like 1000 plots at once.

During the season of Palm fruits you harvest every 10 to 14days.. each palm tree shoots around 5 to 7 palm fruits around one tree.

There is even another specie of oil palm available now TENERA is even old specie.. The specie is called SUPER GENE OIL PALM.. Its all over Malaysia. The Supergene na die.... It shoots around 15 palm fruit at a time and the harvest time is 2years after planting.

The Reason while i chose palm tree over plantain is because certain people have lots of money to go into farm, but dont know which to go for, Some people are not ready to go into farming because its cheap.. some people wants to invest even 10M and also want to reap beautiful profit.. So if you that kind of man that has good money and you want to go into farming... then palm tree is for you

where in Nigeria will you see a plot of land for 50 -60K?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by henrimoto(m): 2:54pm On Jun 05, 2013
Ajasnoop:

where in Nigeria will you see a plot of land for 50 -60K?
comunities dat 're off good roads, and they re a little bit off major roads. comunities dat looks as if there's no serious development going on there. u will even get an acre for 85-90k. take a good luk @ igbesa. b4 now, comunities around dat place do give away their lands 4 little or nothing. go to dose areas now,it's somthing else. there 're places in ogbomoso, oyo state. where can get acres of land very very cheap. say 75-80k.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 3:00pm On Jun 08, 2013
the following writeup was what i found online....

Palm oil is native to West Africa. Nigeria used to be the world’s largest producer of oil palm before the oil boom era, but Malaysia has now taken the leading position. Oil palm plantation and allied industries is now the main stay of the Malaysian economy. The palm tree can be used in various ways: the leaves are used in making brooms and for roofing materials (in the rural areas). The bark of the fond can be peeled and woven into baskets, the main trunk can be split like sawn timbers and used as part of building materials, while palm wine can also be obtained from the palm tree, as well as red palm oil, which is readily obtainable from the fresh fruit bunches.

When the fruit is processed, however, the residue obtained can be used as fuel (for cooking and fertilizer to improve soil nutrient).

Red palm oil is used in cooking, making soap, candle and margarine. Palm kernel oil can be extracted from the nut, while the residue obtainable in the process of palm kernel oil extraction, otherwise called palm kernel cake, is used as livestock feed.

Palm kernel oil is used in vegetable oil and soap making, and the shells are useful as energy source. The uses to which oil palm can be made seem non-exhaustive. This clearly indicates that investment made in the establishment of oil palm plantation is nothing but a wise one.

The market is guaranteed for all the products of oil palm plantation in this era of global food crisis.

Technical information
To establish palm oil plantation, involves getting a good site where rich, well-drained acidic soils are abundant. The soil should have adequate quantities of potassium, magnesium and nitrogen. Soil tests should therefore be carried out to determine the nutrient status of the land. It is usually better to use the early maturing variety called ‘tenera,’ which bears fruits as from the fourth year.

Other requirements include seedlings procurement, which can be obtained from reputable nurseries. Prospective investors must engage the services of agricultural experts in the course of establishing this project.

Other cultural practices are planting, regular weeding, pruning and fertilizer application.

Financial aspect
We are recommending 50 hectares for a start. 20 hectares oil palm plantation can conveniently service a palm oil mill that will be established by the owner when the plantation starts to bring fruit. To establish 50 hectares of plantation, the sum of N10, 500,000 will be required and this is broken down as follows:

Pre-investments : N300, 000
Land acquisition N4, 000,000
Land clearing/
preparation : N3, 000,000
Seedlings procurement \
120/ha(2400
@ N500): N1, 200,000
Other cultural practices
@N100, 000/ha : N2, 000,000
Total N10, 500,000

Income analysis
A mature plantation will start to give an investor five tons of red palm oil annually from the fourth year per hectare. 100 metric tons of oil can be obtained annually from 20 hectares of plantation.

A ton of red palm oil is a minimum of N150, 000, while gross revenue of N15 million is obtained from red palm oil.

We can also get three metric tons of palm kernels per hectare, which gives us 60 tons from 20 hectares. This translates to annual income of N4.2 million. Total income realisable is about N19.2 million, while the annual operating expense is put at N5.8 million.

This leaves us with net income of N13.4 million annually for the investor for the rest of his/her life. Serious-minded investors can be assisted in realising this worthwhile investment.

But even if am not a consultant, i think he know he made a mistake... An oil palm reaches maturity at age 7 to 9 years. so in other words you can get the above said cash as four years, rather one should be expecting these kind of cash when the palms are up to 7 to 8 years.

Also he did not mention the said amount of palm that would give one the said amount of profit. but from mine calculation, one would plant just 3000 palms on 20 hectares.

This is just for palm oil only..... i dont really have clear analysis for palm kernel oil yet....

@felixz01
@cordj2
Please confirm the write or lets hear your views.

2 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Ajasnoop: 2:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
henrimoto: comunities dat 're off good roads, and they re a little bit off major roads. comunities dat looks as if there's no serious development going on there. u will even get an acre for 85-90k. take a good luk @ igbesa. b4 now, comunities around dat place do give away their lands 4 little or nothing. go to dose areas now,it's somthing else. there 're places in ogbomoso, oyo state. where can get acres of land very very cheap. say 75-80k.

Somewhere in Ogun state will be good as the inhabitants seem to be more welcoming. Not too sure about Ogbomosho. It doesnt look like where foreigners especially from the other side of the Niger will be very welcomed.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by henrimoto(m): 4:05pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ajasnoop:

Somewhere in Ogun state will be good as the inhabitants seem to be more welcoming. Not too sure about Ogbomosho. It doesnt look like where foreigners especially from the other side of the Niger will be very welcomed.
@ ajasnoop. really! i taught ogbosho people do welcome outsiders. well, thanks 4 d info. where in ogun state is that?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by henrimoto(m): 4:06pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ajasnoop:

@ ajasnoop. really! i taught ogbosho people do welcome outsiders. well, thanks 4 d info. where in ogun state is that? are there land cheap and suitable 4 farming.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 11, 2013
Very impressive. This used to be one of my interests and I hope to be able to pursue it one day. Goodluck boys.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by felixzo1(m): 12:47pm On Jun 12, 2013
okine4real: the following writeup was what i found online....

Palm oil is native to West Africa. Nigeria used to be the world’s largest producer of oil palm before the oil boom era, but Malaysia has now taken the leading position. Oil palm plantation and allied industries is now the main stay of the Malaysian economy. The palm tree can be used in various ways: the leaves are used in making brooms and for roofing materials (in the rural areas). The bark of the fond can be peeled and woven into baskets, the main trunk can be split like sawn timbers and used as part of building materials, while palm wine can also be obtained from the palm tree, as well as red palm oil, which is readily obtainable from the fresh fruit bunches.

When the fruit is processed, however, the residue obtained can be used as fuel (for cooking and fertilizer to improve soil nutrient).

Red palm oil is used in cooking, making soap, candle and margarine. Palm kernel oil can be extracted from the nut, while the residue obtainable in the process of palm kernel oil extraction, otherwise called palm kernel cake, is used as livestock feed.

Palm kernel oil is used in vegetable oil and soap making, and the shells are useful as energy source. The uses to which oil palm can be made seem non-exhaustive. This clearly indicates that investment made in the establishment of oil palm plantation is nothing but a wise one.

The market is guaranteed for all the products of oil palm plantation in this era of global food crisis.

Technical information
To establish palm oil plantation, involves getting a good site where rich, well-drained acidic soils are abundant. The soil should have adequate quantities of potassium, magnesium and nitrogen. Soil tests should therefore be carried out to determine the nutrient status of the land. It is usually better to use the early maturing variety called ‘tenera,’ which bears fruits as from the fourth year.

Other requirements include seedlings procurement, which can be obtained from reputable nurseries. Prospective investors must engage the services of agricultural experts in the course of establishing this project.

Other cultural practices are planting, regular weeding, pruning and fertilizer application.

Financial aspect
We are recommending 50 hectares for a start. 20 hectares oil palm plantation can conveniently service a palm oil mill that will be established by the owner when the plantation starts to bring fruit. To establish 50 hectares of plantation, the sum of N10, 500,000 will be required and this is broken down as follows:

Pre-investments : N300, 000
Land acquisition N4, 000,000
Land clearing/
preparation : N3, 000,000
Seedlings procurement \
120/ha(2400
@ N500): N1, 200,000
Other cultural practices
@N100, 000/ha : N2, 000,000
Total N10, 500,000

Income analysis
A mature plantation will start to give an investor five tons of red palm oil annually from the fourth year per hectare. 100 metric tons of oil can be obtained annually from 20 hectares of plantation.

A ton of red palm oil is a minimum of N150, 000, while gross revenue of N15 million is obtained from red palm oil.

We can also get three metric tons of palm kernels per hectare, which gives us 60 tons from 20 hectares. This translates to annual income of N4.2 million. Total income realisable is about N19.2 million, while the annual operating expense is put at N5.8 million.

This leaves us with net income of N13.4 million annually for the investor for the rest of his/her life. Serious-minded investors can be assisted in realising this worthwhile investment.

But even if am not a consultant, i think he know he made a mistake... An oil palm reaches maturity at age 7 to 9 years. so in other words you can get the above said cash as four years, rather one should be expecting these kind of cash when the palms are up to 7 to 8 years.

Also he did not mention the said amount of palm that would give one the said amount of profit. but from mine calculation, one would plant just 3000 palms on 20 hectares.

This is just for palm oil only..... i dont really have clear analysis for palm kernel oil yet....

@felixz01
@cordj2
Please confirm the write or lets hear your views.

i do not agree with most of his estimations.it does not reflect the true nature of things

3 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 2:33pm On Jun 12, 2013
where can i ge the manual from please.
Has any one got the manual. can it be mailed?
canonbj66@gmail.com
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 3:33pm On Jun 12, 2013
kunlekunle: where can i ge the manual from please.
Has any one got the manual can be mailed.
canonbj66@gmail.com

Know body would give you Manuel or feasibility report for free i guess. Even myself paid 10k for getting a feasibility report. Although i was suppose to pick it up today because myself and cordj2 was suppose to see today. So what am saying is, if you really want to know more about Palm oil plantation... You must spend money because its everything you would read on Nairaland.... Some people would still want to hold back some information.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 3:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
henrimoto: also make ur research on plaintain plantation....

I will advice you start a thread and tell us all we need to know about this too . . .
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by felixzo1(m): 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2013
when i was doing my research on how i carry out an oil palm plantation, i read a lot of materials i found online, watch a lot of videos and visited some plantations to see things for my self. some-people just sit and want everything to be handed to them free.sorry for computer farmers

6 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 3:59pm On Jun 12, 2013
okine4real:

Know body would give you Manuel or feasibility report for free i guess. Even myself paid 10k for getting a feasibility report. Although i was suppose to pick it up today because myself and cordj2 was suppose to see today. So what am saying is, if you really want to know more about Palm oil plantation... You must spend money because its everything you would read on Nairaland.... Some people would still want to hold back some information.

where can i get it from, is yours a softcopy. if yes we might strike a deal.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by fxisreal: 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2013
@ okine4real you have started a good business which u will never regret if properly done, it require lot of hard work but the end justify the stress. average growth time is like 4 years with life cycle of 60 years average, u can now see that u are buying future for your family. i have not go through your plan but reading the first sentence when u said u have secure 1755 palm seedling for 13 plot of land.

that 13 plot of land is like 2 acre plus, average palm oil on an acre suppose to be btw 180 - 200 depends,

all the same your thinking is brilliant, this is how okumo oil , live stock & co started now hot cake. ride on bro

just try to plant join plantain that take only a year so that that will help in d maintenance cost of the palm oil before it mature

will go through the post and see more later when am less busy.

best threads so far hope i learn more from this thread
goodluck

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 4:25pm On Jun 12, 2013
felixzo1: my experience with oil palm plantation.i started my own oil palm nursery in early 2011,with 1575 seeds,bought from nifor at N15000 per pack,each pack had 525 seeds. i grew the nursery for 14 months. by June 2012 i cleared land for planting. pegging was carried out, then digging and planting. 1050 trees were planted it took me almost 4 weeks with 10 men to carry out the all work on a 7 hectare farm. spacing for my palms was 7 meters by 7 meters in a triangle . first weeding and fertilizer application was carried out after 3 months. npk fertilizer was applied to each palm tree.second weeding was done 3 months latter,towards the end of the raining season.by may this yr, i had carried out first weeding and fertilizer application 1 bought 3 bags of npk fertilizers at N6800 per bag.(open market price, may2013) most of the labor was done by myself with the help of some relative.the land used is inherited land. the money i have spend thus far is around N250,000. pls watch this video if you can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4Jy3oGmjY and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCgeD2gOc2U.

This is what i love most about NL, the spirit of Sharing . . .

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 4:56pm On Jun 12, 2013
I consultant handling the feasibility study is in Ibadan. I was suppose to go and collect it today, but i could not go again because myself and @cordj2 was suppose to see in Ibadan today because where where suppose to visit a plantation on Ondo State tomorrow, So to cut the story short, the feasibility report is suppose to be a Hard copy and a Soft copy. I would call the consultant and tell him to mail me the soft copy first, then i would get back to you.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2013
felixzo1:

i do not agree with most of his estimations.it does not reflect the true nature of things

Please could you great out time and elaborate on what you mean by (i do not agree with most of his estimations.it does not reflect the true nature of things) you know we have many fans reading this thread, so please lets not keep them waiting. And please dont keep me waiting too Lol

Thanks
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Parisfran(f): 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
Very enlightening thread. But Okine I asked a friend that his job is to set up farms for people (you wont believe how many mega millionaires own 1 sort of farm or the other) he said that ur spacing is too small. Infact in his own word he said you will cry in 4yrs time if you dont adjust it now. I so love the idea of a farm, but i'm not sure when the money comes, i will have the time to do the running around.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 6:31pm On Jun 12, 2013
Nice thread, but felixzo1's gave the most accurate information. Young farmers should be careful when starting out otherwise wrong fram practices will lead to immeasurable losses that would send anybody out of business.

Learning is the first step in any business endeavor, go ask my friend, Nnamdi, at Alaba.

I wanted to attach a document from FAO as a guide but I am unable to attach it, Nairaland says I cannot attach anything bigger than 200kb. Document is 984kb, let me know how to attach it if you have an idea.
Don't expect a good yield if you don't follow established guidelines. You dont need to pay for any feasibility study document that is coming from somebody who may not have any practical experience.

Okine4real is contending with grasscutters attacking his young palms, pretty hilarious that he plan on using scarecrow. Scarecrow are for birds not grasscutters and he must not replaced the palms until he has the metal protector. Do not use net, as recommended in the attached document, except if the net is made of stainless steel. Most net materials in the market will rust out before the end of the raining season this year.
Spacing is critical and the same poster got it wrong, please do not proceed without correcting this error. Palm trees need the space otherwise the competition for nutrients will kill them off and kill your investments.

Maintenance of the plantation is critical, very critical to its survival and achievement of your revenue projection, Farming is hard but rewarding work, just do it right.

By all means, please introduce plantain into your palm tree plantation when starting out. It helps kill the weeds as the plantain grows up (it is generally used in growing cash crops that require some years to reach maturity - cocoa, etc). And guess what, the plantain provide the cash to maintain the farm and also pay for the original investment. Please do the analysis based on about 10,000 plantains per hectare (not acre) and tell me you wont make your money back in one year.

Pardon any typos.

10 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 6:39pm On Jun 12, 2013
I forgot to declare that I am a small investor in palm tree plantation, about completing planting of about 70 acres. Got the palm from NIFOR.

2 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 6:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
igbonla: I forgot to declare that I am a small investor in palm tree plantation, about completing planting of about 70 acres. Got the palm from NIFOR.

Nice one . . . Could you give more information about yours . . spacing as well as projections, and would be nice if there are pix.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by prologue: 6:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
Very interesting. Learned so much in a short time. Tnx folks...
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by felixzo1(m): 7:22pm On Jun 12, 2013
okine4real:

Please could you great out time and elaborate on what you mean by (i do not agree with most of his estimations.it does not reflect the true nature of things) you know we have many fans reading this thread, so please lets not keep them waiting. And please dont keep me waiting too Lol

Thanks
Going by the standard planting density of 9 meters by 9 meters a 50 hectare oil palm plantation will contain about(143x50)7150trees.let me agree that the land acquisition is N4 000,000.land depends on location. Lands that are closer to cities or major roads are expensive. but land in remote areas are less expensive. Let me even agree with his reinvestments of N300,000.soo my calculation is as follows
Land...............................................N4000,000
Pre investment……………………………….N300,000
Seedlings procurement…………… …….N1125, 000(150x7500)extra seedlings must be included
Transport to site and land clearing….N500, 000
Labor…………………………………………….. N357,500(N50 per seedlingx7150)
Fertilizers and weeds control s……….N700, 000(fertilizers at least once every yr.,weeding 3 times a year)
Other unforeseen expenses……………N300, 000
This is just for the first year of planting .a reoccurring expenditure of N1000, 000 is anticipated for 3 years
from my estimations an income of more less 10 million naira is expected from the fourth year.peak yeilds are from 8 years ,and income of roughly 35 million naira there after
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Nice one . . . Could you give more information about yours . . spacing as well as projections, and would be nice if there are pix.

I followed the FAO manual that I mentioned in my earlier write up using 9m by 9m (see attached extract from the document). I am far away from the farm now, it will take a while to get some pics. Will share whenever I get some.

Bought the palm at same price (N150 each), you can buy the smaller, younger seedlings for about N30 but will require further grow out in the nursery before you can plant in the open field.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 8:13pm On Jun 12, 2013
igbonla:

I followed the FAO manual that I mentioned in my earlier write up using 9m by 9m (see attached extract from the document). I am far away from the farm now, it will take a while to get some pics. Will share whenever I get some.

Bought the palm at same price (N150 each), you can buy the smaller, younger seedlings for about N30 but will require further grow out in the nursery before you can plant in the open field.

Awesome . . . Thanks
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 8:37pm On Jun 12, 2013
Paris-fran:
Very enlightening thread. But Okine I asked a friend that his job is to set up farms for people (you wont believe how many mega millionaires own 1 sort of farm or the other) he said that ur spacing is too small. Infact in his own word he said you will cry in 4yrs time if you dont adjust it now. I so love the idea of a farm, but i'm not sure when the money comes, i will have the t[quote author=Paris-fran]Very enlightening thread. But Okine I asked a friend that his job is to set up farms for people (you wont believe how many mega millionaires own 1 sort of farm or the other) he said that ur spacing is too small. Infact in his own word he said you will cry in 4yrs time if you dont adjust it now. I so love the idea of a farm, but i'm not sure when the money comes, i will have the time to do the running around.
Paris-fran:
Very enlightening thread. But Okine I asked a friend that his job is to set up farms for people (you wont believe how many mega millionaires own 1 sort of farm or the other) he said that ur spacing is too small. Infact in his own word he said you will cry in 4yrs time if you dont adjust it now. I so love the idea of a farm, but i'm not sure when the money comes, i will have the time to do the running around.
ime to do the running around.[/quote]

i would not say what your friend said is a lie but i would explain to you guys here tomorrow while mine spacing would work.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 8:38pm On Jun 12, 2013
okine4real:

i would not say what your friend said is a lie but i would explain to you guys here tomorrow while mine spacing would work.

Eyes are itching . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.