Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation (240527 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Invest In Oil Palm Plantation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 3:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
Pixs

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:19am On Sep 06, 2013
Working in Nursery

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 1:58pm On Sep 06, 2013
Do you have a plantation or a nurseries ? ^^^^
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 2:48pm On Sep 06, 2013
I sprout the seeds, nursery them and hope to transplant them in my plantation by next year. I intend to clear and prepare the land by december
Fhemmmy: Do you have a plantation or a nurseries ? ^^^^
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 2:50pm On Sep 06, 2013
MANGAM: I sprout the seeds, nursery them and hope to transplant them in my plantation by next year. I intend to clear and prepare the land by december

Ok, we hope to learn few things from you
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 3:13pm On Sep 06, 2013
@fhemmmy, anytime u ar ready.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On Sep 06, 2013
MANGAM: @fhemmmy, anytime u ar ready.

Ok, Sir
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by felixzo1(m): 9:35pm On Sep 06, 2013
MANGAM: Working in Nursery
pls can I get your phone or email
.I stay in Abuja, we can meet up. i will love to visit your farm when you are planting. when next I visit My farm in Benue i will upload. pictures of My plantation and a nursery
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 9:54pm On Sep 06, 2013
A couple of pics, seedlings waiting to be planted.

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 9:55pm On Sep 06, 2013
More pics, seedling lounging on the field.

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 10:02pm On Sep 06, 2013
As meticulous as we have been, the grasscutters are not letting up; we lost about 20 seedlings due to their attacks. They were able to burrow underneath the metal jacket to eat the succulent part of the seedling. We have increased clearing and spraying/surveillance to reduce their activities.

We also started the application of fertilizer; Sadly, we bought the fertilizer in the open market at N5,000 per bag and looking at using about 500g per seedling. Pretty expensive business but you wont achieve anything if you wait on government.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Realdeals(m): 10:06pm On Sep 06, 2013
Download a Free e-boook on packaging of cooking oil and other agricultural products at http://www./resource-download
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 11:00pm On Sep 06, 2013
@felixzol, u ar d 1 wit d plantation in northern cross river close to benus state? 08032851997 or talk2manga@yahoo.com
felixzo1: pls can I get your phone or email
.I stay in Abuja, we can meet up. i will love to visit your farm when you are planting. when next I visit My farm in Benue i will upload. pictures of My plantation and a nursery
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 11:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
Wow ur palms ar nice and well nursed. Sorry for d grasscutters and I agree wit u is quite an xpensive venture. God will see us thru. Where is ur farm located?
igbonla: As meticulous as we have been, the grasscutters are not letting up; we lost about 20 seedlings due to their attacks. They were able to burrow underneath the metal jacket to eat the succulent part of the seedling. We have increased clearing and spraying/surveillance to reduce their activities.

We also started the application of fertilizer; Sadly, we bought the fertilizer in the open market at N5,000 per bag and looking at using about 500g per seedling. Pretty expensive business but you wont achieve anything if you wait on government.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 2:17am On Sep 07, 2013
^^^^ Loving this, keep it up and teach us more
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:29am On Sep 07, 2013
Morning pals, on my way to a palm plantation and a resort along Jos road. This plantation is a site to bhold as it has palm trees, 10 tastely furnished rooms sparey located within d farm, a swimming pool, water bottling plant btiful road network and restaurant. I was there once for a wkend and the plantation owner taught me hoW to sprout palm seeds I.e germinating the seeds.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 7:47am On Sep 07, 2013
@MANGAM i love your nursery, i think you are doing just well. you really got lots of nursery.. I think you should even start your own NIFOR, start selling palm nurseries, i believe you would make lots of money.

@igbonla your palms are nice too, also start your own NIFOR, i think you guys can make lots of money ohh. make una nor waste una talent ohh.

a word of advice for MANGAM and IGBONLA, dont be in a haste transplanting your palm, you can let them grow well in there nursery stage very well. If they grow very well in the nursery stage, by the time you transplant them, grass cutter or any other rodent would not come eat them again, that was while i said in some of mine previous post, that if you go to benin NIFOR to buy palm nursery, they would sell to you, one week palm nursery because a lot of people are always coming to buy there palm nursery, even the picture of MANGAM and IGBONLA palm nursery is 5 times bigger than what is obtainable from Benin NIFOR, Also that was while i said they should buy from the other man that is in Delta, because his palms are about a year old. back to the topic.

you guys are doing good job, as for me, am still trying to buy more lands, so i can transfer, the thousands of palms they planted for me on 13 plots of land. i have already transplanted some before, i used 20 feet spacing because i dont have much lands. i just bought 6 and half plots again of 100 by 100 feet each. so i would be transplanting again soon. I dont have pics yet because i have not traveled and i dont even like traveling self. but would update you guys soonest.

Regards
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:24am On Sep 07, 2013
@okine4real, we missed u, where ve u been? Credit to u cos u started this theat. Wil comment more later.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 7:07pm On Sep 07, 2013
MANGAM: Wow ur palms ar nice and well nursed. Sorry for d grasscutters and I agree wit u is quite an xpensive venture. God will see us thru. Where is ur farm located?

Thanks, the farm is in Osun state.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 7:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
okine4real: @MANGAM i love your nursery, i think you are doing just well. you really got lots of nursery.. I think you should even start your own NIFOR, start selling palm nurseries, i believe you would make lots of money.

@igbonla your palms are nice too, also start your own NIFOR, i think you guys can make lots of money ohh. make una nor waste una talent ohh.

a word of advice for MANGAM and IGBONLA, dont be in a haste transplanting your palm, you can let them grow well in there nursery stage very well. If they grow very well in the nursery stage, by the time you transplant them, grass cutter or any other rodent would not come eat them again, that was while i said in some of mine previous post, that if you go to benin NIFOR to buy palm nursery, they would sell to you, one week palm nursery because a lot of people are always coming to buy there palm nursery, even the picture of MANGAM and IGBONLA palm nursery is 5 times bigger than what is obtainable from Benin NIFOR, Also that was while i said they should buy from the other man that is in Delta, because his palms are about a year old. back to the topic.

you guys are doing good job, as for me, am still trying to buy more lands, so i can transfer, the thousands of palms they planted for me on 13 plots of land. i have already transplanted some before, i used 20 feet spacing because i dont have much lands. i just bought 6 and half plots again of 100 by 100 feet each. so i would be transplanting again soon. I dont have pics yet because i have not traveled and i dont even like traveling self. but would update you guys soonest.

Regards

Thanks for the compliments, better to let NIFOR be NIFOR oh.

Actually, with respect to when to transplant, you have to chose the evil you want to deal with. I did the planting at the right time that I wanted to do it; nursing about 4,200 seedlings in a closed separate land while maintaining the permanent field site in preparation for planting was costing too much.
The grasscutters beat me to it because I was distracted in the clearing of the land especially because of the rains. With frequent clearing when due, it will be difficult for the animals too show up. This farm is 80 acres and it is no joke clearing it every 3 months.
But yes, it is a good idea to grow the seedlings up to a particular point before planting them in the field. And you should not wait too long so the roots are not too stressed when you remove them for transplanting.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 9:55pm On Sep 07, 2013
ohh boy, 4200 seedlings man na only one make the money for palm oil business lol? 80 acre..... shey na buy you buy all the lands or what lol... Man that's quite a lot of land bro.....Are you in the western region or where? i believe the lands are cheap sha ohhh,

Clearing your palms every three months, man, that's big money ohhh, Well the lord is your strength. try to use chemical for clearing, i believe it would be cheaper. once again 4,200 ohh boy that quite a lot of seedlings, Also 80 Acre, that's about 480 plots measuring 160 by 60 feet. humm i like that.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 10:03pm On Sep 07, 2013
@ igbonla i just read through your post that your plantation is in Osun, i though as much, because before you go see person when get even 40 acre for East, its either the person na Surveyor, you know if you havelots of land and you want to survey them, you can compensate the surveyor with lands instead of cash. or say the person na big manor na family land. because that 80 acre would cost nothing less than 18M to 27M if it where to be sited in the East.

Regards and kudos to you....
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 7:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
@okine4real, 4200 seedlings is small, small for big impact that I seek but not a bad place to start.

Yeah, I had to buy the land and it was not that cheap back then. You don't want to lease land for a long term project simply for economic reasons and also because the owner can get greedy.

We are using chemical too but don't really like the idea, I need the land for some other uses that forbids chemicals.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by jidowu84: 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
MANGAM: @okine4real, we missed u, where ve u been? Credit to u cos u started this theat. Wil comment more later.
welldone bro, please can you teach me how to grow/nurse palm
seedlings? i really want to learn.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:38pm On Sep 09, 2013
Hello guys, lost a friend so went off for some days but am back. @jidowu84 wen u ar ready I can teach u hw to sprout ur palm seeds
jidowu84:
welldone bro, please can you teach me how to grow/nurse palm
seedlings? i really want to learn.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
I come to learn dat allowing the seedlings to mature enough is of great importance for d survival of d young palms and also spacing too is of palms should be taken into consideration
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:46am On Sep 12, 2013
Morning palm farmers, is there any dates palm grower? Am trying to sprout abt 50 dates palm seeds. They ar mostlt grown in Dubai, Saudi Arabia and other middle east countries. In Nigeria dey do well in d northern part and ar in high demand. They grow lik palm trees and at their early stage one can hardly differiate btw dates and oil palm tree
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:54am On Sep 14, 2013
Morning pals, my palms are 5months old today in d nursery. Here in d northern part d rains ar abt ceasing within d next couples of wks. Preparation d land wil start by november to end by january and when d rains start in may, 2014 by den d palms wil be ready for planting in d farm. Pls, suggestions and advices ar welcome fro experience palm farmers
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by jidowu84: 4:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
MANGAM: Hello guys, lost a friend so went off for some days but am back. @jidowu84 wen u ar ready I can teach u hw to sprout ur palm seeds
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 9:23am On Sep 15, 2013
There is great improvement in my palms 2weeks after applying the NPK fertilizer. The palms leaves ar darker in color
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by condi1704(m): 11:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
Good people, I really enjoy this thread. I would like to start a plantation. Pls how many palm tree would give 5000 litres of palm oil yearly. A responce is highly appreciated.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 8:03am On Sep 16, 2013
condi1704: Good people, I really enjoy this thread. I would like to start a plantation. Pls how many palm tree would give 5000 litres of palm oil yearly. A responce is highly appreciated.

for you to know how many trees would give you 5000 liters, first of all you need to know the density of palm oil. I would use Diesel as an example.

How to covert 1 metric ton of diesel to liters

You need to know the density of the diesel. Automotive diesel is about 0.84 kg/L (but can vary). The heavy diesel used in large marine engines is higher than that, even up to 1.1 kg/L.

Using the typical value for automotive, and recognizing that 1 metric ton = 1000 kg,
1000 kg x 1 L/0.84 kg = 1190 L.

A well maintained plantation would produce 2 1/4 per hectare per annum. Also noting that you get 150 palms per hectare

So 300 palms =1190*2= 2380. this is for two tones. so i think you can do the rest. I believe about 4 and half hectares would give you that 5000 liters you looking for.

But i think you can get that 1190 liters per hectare once your palms are matured, and your palms matured when its about 7 years above.

House am i correct?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply)

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.