Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation (240552 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Invest In Oil Palm Plantation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by osca234: 12:37am On Sep 24, 2013
@ Mangam is that the Tenera specie, does it take upto 40 days to germinate?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 5:53am On Sep 24, 2013
Sorry 70days, I will modify the post 4 is above 7 on d BB keys guess i mistakely typed. 4 instead of 7. Thanks @osca234
osca234: @ Mangam is that the Tenera specie, does it take upto 40 days to germinate?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:03am On Sep 24, 2013
MANGAM: Hi guys I ve about 1000 kernels which I picked myself, watched the video on how to germinate palm seeds on youtube and after 70days I ve this result

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by osca234: 12:43pm On Sep 24, 2013
@Mangam thanks for ur call...so encouraging and enlightening
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by hotmas911(m): 10:16am On Sep 29, 2013
15 acres of cashew plantation
in Ogbomoso going for 2.5
million. There is good road
and constant electricity supply.
08060318769. The land can
be converted to industrial site.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:15pm On Oct 02, 2013
Sand bagging

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:53am On Oct 06, 2013
The rain are gradually giving way for the dry seanson here in North central Nigeria as we are xperience limited rainfall. Dry season comes with wild bush fire which when not checked affects palm plantation and hereby affect growth and even destory the palms. Clearing round the palm farm is highly recommended.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by smithjohn1(m): 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2013
Oil palm grows in almost all types of soils.Before you start an oil palm plantation, you must calculate carefully whether you will be able to pay all these expenses
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by PapaBrowne(m): 2:06am On Oct 11, 2013
This thread has been an immensely great inspiration to me. My personal opinion is that this might be the most educative thread on Nairaland. I learned a lot here which has inspired me to start something in this line.

One of my biggest lessons here is that long term Agriculture is tedious, risky and very capital intensive with so many pitfalls either stirring you in the face or hiding away, waiting to hit at you on the slightest opportunity. However, it is not only extremely rewarding eventually, it has the potential to secure your future way into your old age if done properly. And also, it is more lucrative than almost all other forms of investment.
I did the calculations of farming Oil Palm vs Real Estate vs Stocks vs Bonds vs Fixed Deposit vs a whole lot other investment types and I found that Oil Palm plantation is not only lucrative, it actually gives you far better returns and for a much longer period than any other investments.
However, it is not something I am willing to go alone on. I currently have 8 hectares of land, but I have a different idea on how to go about this.
I call it Value Chain Strategy. Add value and you'll earn ten times over vs raw materials

To cut my speech short, let me go straight to the outcome of my inspiration. This thread has inspired me to set up a cooperative called THE TENERA COOP which would seek to CONNECT like minds, COLLABORATE as a team and CREATE some outstanding products derivable from PALM OIL.
The goal is to engage in the entire value chain of Oil Palm. Not only would we own oil palm plantations(running in hundreds of hectares), we would engage in adding high value to everything oil palm. From packaging of Palm oil to production of Animal Feed to Soap Production to Margarine and a host of other multiple derivables of Oil Palm.

Now, I have started work on the easiest part. PACKAGING PALM OIL.
95% of all Palm Oil consumed in Nigeria is sold retail in disused drinking water bottles with no brand attachment nor any form of identification. I did the calculations and found that this market(Cooking Palm oil) is worth over 100 billion Naira annually. And yet none of the big companies are packaging this stuff. Biiiiiig Opportunity. Massssssive!! Remember the days before pure/bottled water? Drinking water was sold in non branded sachets. Like seriously, why is no one packaging Palm oil properly? Afterall, vegetable oil is well packed.

Anyways, I am taking advantage of this stuff. And I have started serious work on it. From my little calculations, the potential income is in tens of millions monthly. Yes, I said tens of millions monthly. It is huge because it's a blue ocean. No other parties so I determine my prices plus the high quality packaging makes the product stand out.

From packaging palm oil, we would use the profits to develop large hectares of Palm Plantations and afterwards we would develop other by products from Palm oil.

[size=13pt]Below is a picture of what I am working on. From time to time as my work progresses I'll update the thread.[/size]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 4:01am On Oct 11, 2013
Nice one@papabrowne and I onced advocatd for something like all of us coming 2gether to discuss issues dat affects us all and coming up wit an association which wil help in d acquicusition of loan and other farm implements. Furthermore,on dis thread some1 came up wit d idea we come up wit a common oil palm farm. Good thinking good product @papabrowne
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Humanbeans(m): 11:08am On Oct 11, 2013
PapaBrowne: This thread has been an immensely great inspiration to me. My personal opinion is that this might be the most educative thread on Nairaland. I learned a lot here which has inspired me to start something in this line.

One of my biggest lessons here is that long term Agriculture is tedious, risky and very capital intensive with so many pitfalls either stirring you in the face or hiding away, waiting to hit at you on the slightest opportunity. However, it is not only extremely rewarding eventually, it has the potential to secure your future way into your old age if done properly. And also, it is more lucrative than almost all other forms of investment.
I did the calculations of farming Oil Palm vs Real Estate vs Stocks vs Bonds vs Fixed Deposit vs a whole lot other investment types and I found that Oil Palm plantation is not only lucrative, it actually gives you far better returns and for a much longer period than any other investments.
However, it is not something I am willing to go alone on. I currently have 8 hectares of land, but I have a different idea on how to go about this.
I call it Value Chain Strategy. Add value and you'll earn ten times over vs raw materials

To cut my speech short, let me go straight to the outcome of my inspiration. This thread has inspired me to set up a cooperative called THE TENERA COOP which would seek to CONNECT like minds, COLLABORATE as a team and CREATE some outstanding products derivable from PALM OIL.
The goal is to engage in the entire value chain of Oil Palm. Not only would we own oil palm plantations(running in hundreds of hectares), we would engage in adding high value to everything oil palm. From packaging of Palm oil to production of Animal Feed to Soap Production to Margarine and a host of other multiple derivables of Oil Palm.

Now, I have started work on the easiest part. PACKAGING PALM OIL.
95% of all Palm Oil consumed in Nigeria is sold retail in disused drinking water bottles with no brand attachment nor any form of identification. I did the calculations and found that this market(Cooking Palm oil) is worth over 100 billion Naira annually. And yet none of the big companies are packaging this stuff. Biiiiiig Opportunity. Massssssive!! Remember the days before pure/bottled water? Drinking water was sold in non branded sachets. Like seriously, why is no one packaging Palm oil properly? Afterall, vegetable oil is well packed.

Anyways, I am taking advantage of this stuff. And I have started serious work on it. From my little calculations, the potential income is in tens of millions monthly. Yes, I said tens of millions monthly. It is huge because it's a blue ocean. No other parties so I determine my prices plus the high quality packaging makes the product stand out.

From packaging palm oil, we would use the profits to develop large hectares of Palm Plantations and afterwards we would develop other by products from Palm oil.

[size=13pt]Below is a picture of what I am working on. From time to time as my work progresses I'll update the thread.[/size]

This is another great thread in the making. @papabrowne, why not create another thread for this, so we won't derail this other thread. I'm so interested in it

2 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by felixzo1(m): 6:15pm On Oct 16, 2013
MANGAM: Nice one@papabrowne and I onced advocatd for something like all of us coming 2gether to discuss issues dat affects us all and coming up wit an association which wil help in d acquicusition of loan and other farm implements. Furthermore,on dis thread some1 came up wit d idea we come up wit a common oil palm farm. Good thinking good product @papabrowne
mangam where have you been? how are things going with you
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 4:47am On Oct 22, 2013
@Felixzo1, I ve resumed to my station with one of the security agency in Nigeria as I was on my annual leave then and I hardly ve time these days but am off dis weekend and will be travaling to the villa by Thursday dis wk to see how my nusery of palms are doing. By the way, thanks for checking on me.
felixzo1: mangam where have you been? how are things going with you
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 4:56am On Oct 22, 2013
@Felixo1, hw is the agric fair/show going? I would ve love to be there but am hooked up. Pls remember to share anything useful wit those of us not there.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 4:59am On Oct 22, 2013
Pls Okine4real, I dnt knw if coconut can also be discussed in this section? I would love to share something wit us.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 10:27am On Oct 22, 2013
I think if you add or talk about coconut here, its would only complicate maters, already oil palm plantation is complicated. Why not just open a thread and direct us to the link so we can also comment of it.

Regards

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 10:46am On Oct 22, 2013
Noted @okine4real
okine4real: I think if you add or talk about coconut here, its would only complicate maters, already oil palm plantation is complicated. Why not just open a thread and direct us to the link so we can also comment of it.

Regards
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by hotmas911(m): 12:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]410 acres of very fertile land With the following on it:
1. Cashew plantation 2. Malyna trees
3. Orange and other trees
A river that can support irrigation flows through land
4. Fishpond with land that can accomodate 100 fishponds.
5. There is enough land to plant other crops like cassava, plantain, palm, cocoa, corn etc.
6. Motorable road.
7. Cheap labour and friendly people.
Price #25million (naira) 08060318769.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by PapaBrowne(m): 1:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
MANGAM: Nice one@papabrowne and I onced advocatd for something like all of us coming 2gether to discuss issues dat affects us all and coming up wit an association which wil help in d acquicusition of loan and other farm implements. Furthermore,on dis thread some1 came up wit d idea we come up wit a common oil palm farm. Good thinking good product @papabrowne

Thanks!! You've been one of the best inspirations!!
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by PapaBrowne(m): 5:30am On Oct 25, 2013
Humanbeans:

This is another great thread in the making. @papabrowne, why not create another thread for this, so we won't derail this other thread. I'm so interested in it

I will do just that. And I will keep you informed. Stay Tuned bro.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 3:35am On Oct 28, 2013
@NIFOR outreach office in Wamba LGA of Nasarawa state

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 05, 2013
Earn A Huge Profit Operating A Vegetable (Soya Bean) Oil Mill

The present production level of Vegetable Oil in Nigeria cannot meet the demand of Nigerians. There is ban placed on Importation of Vegetable Oil into the country in order to encourage local investors to go into the production of Vegetable Oil. This has made the business to be very lucrative.

The market for vegetable oil is national. With a population of over 140 million people and an estimated national population growth rate of 5.7% per annum ,an average economic growth rate of 3.5% per annum in the past five {5} years, Nigeria has a large market for vegetable oil. The cake gotten as a by-product from producing vegetable oil from soya-bean is used in formulating livestock feeds especially for cattle, sheep and poultry...............

........The processing plant referenced in this article has an installed capacity of processing 1,440 metric tonnes of seeds per annum. Minimum profit margin of N20, 000 can be made on a processed tonne of seed . This translates to annual profit of N28,800,000. This is another viable project than can be successfully established in Nigeria.
Visit the site below to view the complete article. Click on the link below
http://next9jabillionaires./2013/11/05/how-to-start-a-medium-scale-vegetable-soya-bean-oil-mill/
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:24am On Nov 13, 2013
Beautiful morning friends. The harmatans are here again let's safeguard our farms against bush fire

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by PapaBrowne(m): 7:09am On Nov 13, 2013
^^^^
Any ideas how to go about that?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:39am On Nov 13, 2013
Is best to clear the bushes round the farm land at least some metres fro d farm dat fire can't break thru
PapaBrowne: ^^^^
Any ideas how to go about that?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Obummalachy(m): 4:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
Hi people am malachy am into animal production, farm management and supply of farm inputs i have been following this forum for long now and you guys are really wonderful, i have some ideas to add in: what mangam said on the control of bush burning/wild fire outbreak is right clearing bush few metres say 2-3metres away for farmers in the northern region, 1-2metres for farmers in the east, west and southern region respectively, After that you lay pipes "like irrigation pipes" around your farm land use thesame distance used for bush clearing left and right. This really works. On the issue of starting a palm plantation its very important for you to include processing cause that is the only way you can make reasonable gain from the business by so doing you control/determine the market and price not depending on other processing firm or whole salers/retailers who wil kill the business for you. Also palm plantation is not a sole-proprietorship business is a co-oparative business cause its involves a lot of risk taking and you need people to share the risks with. Someone earlier suggested on forming a co-oparative that's a wonderful idea which wil even attract bigger funding.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 14, 2013
Palm oil urgently needed by a client of mine in Delta state? If you can supply within the shortest period, good quality and mouth watering price contact me at my email for serious business talk.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 11:55am On Nov 14, 2013
I ve about 2000 seedlings that am preparing to the farm by june next year wen the rain set in in this region. I ve had some challenges and still having challenges as I do things solely. I ve tried to see to it dat we ve a cooperative society with other palm growers in my region so as we can share ideas but it has not been easy so I resort to Nairaland and it has been great here, particularly Okine4real which has being of great assistance
Obummalachy: Hi people am malachy am into animal production, farm management and supply of farm inputs i have been following this forum for long now and you guys are really wonderful, i have some ideas to add in: what mangam said on the control of bush burning/wild fire outbreak is right clearing bush few metres say 2-3metres away for farmers in the northern region, 1-2metres for farmers in the east, west and southern region respectively, After that you lay pipes "like irrigation pipes" around your farm land use thesame distance used for bush clearing left and right. This really works. On the issue of starting a palm plantation its very important for you to include processing cause that is the only way you can make reasonable gain from the business by so doing you control/determine the market and price not depending on other processing firm or whole salers/retailers who wil kill the business for you. Also palm plantation is not a sole-proprietorship business is a co-oparative business cause its involves a lot of risk taking and you need people to share the risks with. Someone earlier suggested on forming a co-oparative that's a wonderful idea which wil even attract bigger funding.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
PALM OIL
Unilever Takes A Step Toward Sustainable Palm Oil

By Mat McDermott

A palm oil plantation in Malaysia. Photo via Marufish/Flickr

It's a step forward in using sustainably-sourced palm oil, and reining in the massive rainforest destruction generally associated with palm oil production: Unilever has announced that all of its palm oil purchases will come from “known sources” by the end of 2014. The commitment is the Rotterdam-based food, home, and personal care giant’s second to last step on its journey to using only traceable and certified sustainable palm oil by 2020. 

Unilever purchases roughly 1.5 million tonnes of palm oil each year, amounting to about three percent of global demand. 

The Director of WWF’s Market Transformation Initiative, Richard Holland, praised the commitment, and called it “a very promising step on the continuing journey towards real market transformation to sustainable palm oil.” 

The timing of the announcement was no doubt planned to coincide with start of the COP19 UN climate talks, which just kicked off in Poland, as palm oil production often comes at a high climate cost.

The overwhelming majority of the world’s palm oil comes from plantations in Indonesia and Malaysia, which are often cleared of rainforest. This results in large increases in carbon emissions, first from emissions stored in the soil and forest biomass that are released due to land clearance, and secondly because palm oil plantations suck far less carbon emissions from the atmosphere than an actual forest. 

When the emissions from deforestation are included in national emission totals, something that is not always done, Indonesia rises quickly to be one of the leading emitters of greenhouse gases. 

A truck full of fruits that produce palm oil. Photo via Flickr/Rainforest Action Network

In addition to increasing climate change, deforestation for palm oil plantations has been linked with further endangering several important and iconic rainforests species, particularly in Borneo and Sumatra. Orangutans are often targeted by plantation workers, who sometimes mutilate their hands in retaliation for the great apes raiding the plantation. Biodiversity in these plantations is far lower than in natural forests, further stressing animal species. Plantations also threaten the ability of local people to continue traditional hunting and foraging practices, disrupting the lives of already often marginalized communities. 

Sustainable palm oil attempts to right these wrongs, as growing the palms that produce palm oil can be done without clearing new land or threatening wildlife. 

The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil was established in 2004, with both WWF and Unilever as backers. Uptake of sustainable palm oil by producers of food and personal care products is growing, though it's still a small part of the overall palm oil market. Business Green reports that in the UK the amount of certified sustainable palm oil has doubled since 2009, rising to somewhere between 52 and 60 percent of imports.

This follows a slow start to the uptake of sustainable palm oil, which has been countered by campaigning from environmental groups and some high-profile commitments.

In 2009, Vermont-based Seventh Generation committed to buying sustainable palm oil credits for all of its purchases. At the time it was the only North American company to make such a commitment. A year later, the Netherlands committed to using only sustainably-sourced palm oil by the end of 2015. The latter is particular important, as Dutch businesses are Europe’s largest importer and exporter of palm oil. 

But overall, of the roughly 48 million tons of palm oil produced annually around the world, less than 15 percent is certified as sustainable.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by blinx4real(m): 2:18pm On Dec 05, 2013
I'm bookmarking this page!.... invaluable info here
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Naijamericana: 10:13pm On Dec 05, 2013
My business partner and I based in USA are considering starting a medium scale mill in Nigeria. We need access to a minimum of 10 tons of ffbs per day in Rivers State. If anyone has access to information or knowledge of how to procure the amount indicated please notify me.

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply)

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.