Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,336 members, 7,819,173 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation - Agriculture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation (240681 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Invest In Oil Palm Plantation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 12:03pm On Oct 04, 2015
MANGAM:
I ve abt 2000 trees. Capital depends on certain factors. Such as location, seedlings, labour, transportation, etc
Thanks, are you able to give ANY KIND of sample figure.We all appreciate that things vary with these factors in practice. Thanks for your time and patience
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 12:35pm On Oct 04, 2015
Ok, let's start!

1. a mature seed cost N150-N200(200 by 20000=400k)
A- transportation to. Ur farm depending on the distance=30-50k
B- land clearing and preparation/Labour=100-150k
C- planting is done for N25 per tree=25 by 2000=50k
D- a budget of 100-200k wil do for the first year regarding weeding, fertilizer and general mentainance of the farm.

2- if u ar sprouting like I did. A kernel cost N30-N50(50 by 2000=100k)
A- sand= 20k
B- bags (a bag cost N15)
C- labour to sandbag=20-30k

Note: in option 2, u will ve to nurse for a year b4 taking ur palm to the farm. Provision must made for watering twice daily.
These are just rough estimate

omonnakoda:
Thanks, are you able to give ANY KIND of sample figure.We all appreciate that things vary with these factors in practice. Thanks for your time and patience
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 1:06pm On Oct 04, 2015
MANGAM:
Ok, let's start!

D- a budget of 100-200k wil do for the first year regarding weeding, fertilizer and general mentainance of the farm.

A- sand= 20k
B- bags (a bag cost N15)

Note: in option 2, u will ve to nurse for a year b4 taking ur palm to the farm. Provision must made for watering twice daily.

Thanks ,this is great.Will it be the same sort of cost each year for general maintenance?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
As ur palms are growing, the cost reduces because fertilizer won't be needed, weeding will be minimal. Trimming and cutting of bunches will be the work. I will advice from 2-3yrs of ur farm u employ a person to oversee the plantation. I got someone to work @ the farm and he's asking for 15k monthly payment b4 production commences.
omonnakoda:
Thanks ,this is great.Will it be the same sort of cost each year for general maintenance?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 2:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
MANGAM:
As ur palms are growing, the cost reduces because fertilizer won't be needed, weeding will be minimal. Trimming and cutting of bunches will be the work. I will advice from 2-3yrs of ur farm u employ a person to oversee the plantation. I got someone to work @ the farm and he's asking for 15k monthly payment b4 production commences.

Thank you so much

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 04, 2015
MANGAM:
15k.....that's ok
Budget 1m for a 2000 oil palm plantation excluding land purchase that's cool!
Thanks for the info
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by noblefarm: 9:42pm On Oct 04, 2015
Pls do u know how much I can get cracked palm kernel nut.

MANGAM:
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 10:17pm On Oct 04, 2015
Nope!
noblefarm:
Pls do u know how much I can get cracked palm kernel nut.

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Josh121(m): 10:46am On Oct 07, 2015
Anybody with idea where i could get the super gene seed ?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by ollyboy009(m): 10:51pm On Oct 09, 2015
I salute all my boses in the house, pls can this machine be efficient for farm weeding? I will love to boycott manual labour weeding because it not pocket friendly for medium to large farm. Its a farm with 10ft tree spacing, but if it wont be okay, please recommend me a a good weeding marching. Thanks

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2015
Pls house, is anyone with idea of an institution or individual that can assist in securing a quick loan of 150-200k within 2wks?
I need this loan to enable me weed my plantation as weed ve taken over the farm due to limited fund. Failure to weed the farm b4 the cominng of the harmattan season will result to lost(wild fire) of all that has been invested in the farm.
Loan repayment period of 3months
U can reach me on 08032851997
Or talk2manga@yahoo.com
To discuss all terms and conditions

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by krestup: 12:35am On Oct 14, 2015
I am in need of an article writer, someone with good knowledge of farming and rearing of live stock. send me an email at krestup (at) gmail (dot) com
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by 989900: 8:02am On Oct 15, 2015
okine4real:
A lot of people wants to go into commercial farming, but keep thinking on the kind of crops to plant. As for me I believe oil palm is good, but the business is not for kids.

NOTE: Its not just about buying 100 hecters of land, but is about securing your land till eternity. Once you Acquire these lands, the villagers would be looking at you, the moment you start making good money from the plantation, beefing sets in. So as a plantation owner you must be ready to address these issues when they arise, Also if you are a young guy, the beefing would be much, because the mind set of the villagers would be how would these young boy be making money from the property they sold to you.

Also i have also come to understand that, even if you do not have money to start up your own plantation, you can build up your own milling factory. Building up a milling is expensive depending on the quantities of oil palm and palm kernel oil you want to be processing. If you buy a trailer full of palm fruit every week or every three days, then definitely you would need a higher processing machine. Also you have to buy a land where you would site your factory. But one can site his milling factory in his village if you always have at least 8 hours light everyday. As for me i still believe Oil palm is still the best, apart from cocoa and rubber because i have not done mine research to know which is better among the three.

According to a thread i read here on Nairaland, the OP said they have 30,000 oil palm trees. that is quite much... if you want to have that kind of investment now, first the oil palm nursery would cost 150 per Naira per Nursery Multipled by 30,000= 4.500.000. Secondly if you buy the land, you have to Survey the land. Surveying the land would cost you more than 8M. you can not buy that quantity of land and you would not survey the land. But i know by the time these 30,000 palm start fruiting, you would be making money just as Nigeria is making money from Crude oil. Also do you know that if you have just 150 palm, in a year it would give you about 2000 liters of palm oil? And 2000 liters palm oil would fetch you nothing less than 300k, then if you talking about the palm kernel oil, you would also get at least 100k. Do not forget, you would sell the Palm Kernel Cake and the palm oil pulb to those companies producing poultry foods. Then the last but not the least. The Kernel shell is also sold. You heard me right.... The kernel sell is sold for $25 per tone. I confirmed these a month ago, i placed a call to a Nigerian company and the company said they buy it for $25 per tone.

So if you are making 300k per annul for just 150 oil palm trees, then how much do you think the OP would be making with 30,000 trees? I know most readers would be calculating figures now, but do not forget you have to spend money too, but if well managed, you would be making millions as profit at the end of every year....

Nice one.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:21pm On Oct 19, 2015
Photos from a palm oil mill in Malaysia

2 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2015
More

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Bevista: 6:31pm On Oct 19, 2015
MANGAM:
Photos from a palm oil mill in Malaysia
Do you know the name of the oil palm mill?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:31pm On Oct 19, 2015
!

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Josh121(m): 6:53pm On Oct 19, 2015
MANGAM:
More

Thank you so much , bro , I have start research on the info you gave me , if one can undergo the training it will help a lot
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:03pm On Oct 19, 2015
U are welcome anytime Josh121
Josh121:

Thank you so much , bro , I have start research on the info you gave me , if one can undergo the training it will help a lot
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 11:08am On Oct 20, 2015
Photos from PZ industries nursery palm somewhwere in Cross River state, Nigeria

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 11:14am On Oct 20, 2015
MANGAM:
Photos from PZ industries nursery palm somewhwere in Cross River state, Nigeria
Thanks for keeping this thread going with these beautiful photos.They are inspirational
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 11:19am On Oct 20, 2015
This thread must not die. We all must keep it going
omonnakoda:

Thanks for keeping this thread going with these beautiful photos.They are inspirational
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 11:30am On Oct 20, 2015
MANGAM:
This thread must not die. We all must keep it going
I have a questin for you please you gave some information about planting 2000 trees (analysis) .

So what happens at harvest where do you sell your produce .Do youu go to your buyers or do they come to you.Do you sell the fruits or palm oil.Thanks
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by lindalastprice: 3:01pm On Oct 20, 2015
Take advantage of this unique opportunity

Apply for any of the under listed job positions by visiting www.ForNigeriansByNigerians.com

Accountants
Agronomist
Crop Scientist
Agricultural Economist
Agricultural Engineers
Farm Machine Operators
Marketers/Distributors
Veterinary Doctors
Farm Attendants
Farm Managers

To know more, Visit www.ForNigeriansByNigerians.com

Find or Create a Job Today!
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by tuk2ato(m): 8:13am On Oct 23, 2015
Bros, i thought you said one can sprout from the palm fruit from your earlier post.
MANGAM:
Ok, let's start!

A- sand= 20k
B- bags (a bag cost N15)

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:19am On Oct 23, 2015
Tuk2ato, u can sprout from the palm fruit. Is very easy to sprout.
tuk2ato:
Bros, i thought you said one can sprout from the palm fruit from your earlier post.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:40am On Oct 23, 2015
I want to share some of the varieties of palm fruit that can be found around Nigeria

- Macrocaria: the shell (endocarp) of this palm fruit is 6-8mm and is commonly found in western Nigeria. This variety has no commercial value.

- Dura: the shell is 2-8mm thick, comprising 25-55% of weight of fruit and is less productive.

- Pisifera: shell-less which pea-like kernels. This palm has little comercial value.

- Teneral: shell is 0.5-3mm thick, comprising 1-32% of weight of fruit. This variety is the result of a hydridization of dura and pisifera and has a high commercial value

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:48am On Oct 23, 2015
!

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by tuk2ato(m): 9:24am On Oct 23, 2015
Thanks Boss! All the best in all your endeavours and good luck with the loan.
MANGAM:
Tuk2ato, u can sprout from the palm fruit. Is very easy to sprout.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 9:32am On Oct 23, 2015
tuk2ato:
Thanks Boss! All the best in all your endeavours and good luck with the loan.
Thanks
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by tjadeniyi(m): 9:38pm On Nov 07, 2015
Really appreciate and respect everybody on this informative and educative thread.
I am a manager of an oil palm plantation in Benin Edo State and also a consultant to some established and potential farmers on this aspect of agribusiness.
For consultation and advice on this and possible field trip to know more on this business.
Contact me on tjadeniyi@gmail.com or 08035645516(WhatsApp only)
Thanks
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 3:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
Common pests and diseases in Palm

* pestalotiopsis leaf spot:
This disease is cause by fungi. In this case the leave of the young palm expand with black tissue and chlorosis btw lesions.

* bacteria bud rot:
A bacteria causing diseaseThere the spear leaf turns brown. Discoloration may be associated with a wet rot. Infection/rotten of the buds leads to death of the palm.

*fusarium oxysporun:
This is a fungus causing disease. This disease is common in young palm trees or seedlings. There, the palm exibit retarded growth and reduce leave size.

* rhinoceros:
This is disease is cause by beetle like insect boring into crown to feed on palm frond.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (29) (Reply)

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.