Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi (35012 Views)

***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** / Acl/grimaldi Schedules / Help, My Eod Is Delays In Changing Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Midasola: 7:07pm On Jul 11, 2013
Wsdmenpp: Hi All,

My SUV was delivered to my house today, very clean and no single scratch or any damage. Vessel arrived on Sunday. I thank God for his Grace and Favours.

We thank GOD for His Grace & Favour! I'd like to know the clearing agent!
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 7:27pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Chairman, i am not sure you understand my question, let us assume i use your service . . . You gave me a price to clear a ride after all information has been given to you, if the vessel now gets to Nigeria and the cost to clear is more than you have quoted me, what would you do?

It won't cos I would be double sure of valuation before giving a quote.
I read you don't like using Grimaldi line but that is one I always recommend and never had to renege on pre shipping aggrement.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 7:32pm On Jul 11, 2013
femmy2010:

It won't cos I would be double sure of valuation before giving a quote.
I read you don't like using Grimaldi line but that is one I always recommend and never had to renege on pre shipping aggrement.

I dont like them cos i hate telling my clients stories, they are the reason we are in business, my last deal from Canada used MSC and they are one of the best and now they have delayed that is not funny, i love my good night sleep.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I dont like them cos i hate telling my clients stories, they are the reason we are in business, my last deal from Canada used MSC and they are one of the best and now they have delayed that is not funny, i love my good night sleep.

If I may ask,how long does it takes for your prefered MSC to journey to Lagos in contrast to Grimaldi's close to 2month?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 8:56pm On Jul 11, 2013
femmy2010:

If I may ask,how long does it takes for your prefered MSC to journey to Lagos in contrast to Grimaldi's close to 2month?

Under normal circumstance . . . MSC leaves Canada and gets to Spain within 2 weeks, and transhipment takes place for like a week or max 2 weeks, and from Spain to Nigeria is usually 12 - 14 days.
But now they have some horrible congestion in Spain and that made then to enroute Portugal . . . My brother, it is a nightmare, after my last one, i am done doing container from Canada.
We just sign a deal with a coy for Roro and will go via USA grin
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 9:55pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Under normal circumstance . . . MSC leaves Canada and gets to Spain within 2 weeks, and transhipment takes place for like a week or max 2 weeks, and from Spain to Nigeria is usually 12 - 14 days.
But now they have some horrible congestion in Spain and that made then to enroute Portugal . . . My brother, it is a nightmare, after my last one, i am done doing container from Canada.
We just sign a deal with a coy for Roro and will go via USA grin
I feel the stress.
ACL(Grimaldi's partner) have always done RORO from Canada though.
Give them a try/retry In future.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 2:00am On Jul 12, 2013
femmy2010:
I feel the stress.
ACL(Grimaldi's partner) have always done RORO from Canada though.
Give them a try/retry In future.

I have a deal with a company and seeing how that goes. . .
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by tzars(m): 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
I've gone thru all your comments on this issue and am tempted to ask some few questions. First, on the average, how long does it really take for a car shipped from NY to come into Lagos on Grimaldi. Secondly does any one have an idea of which of their vessels ( I mean Grimaldi) that left NY between 28th June and 1st July.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 6:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
^^^ Once a car is loaded, it takes between 16-21 days to reach Lagos from New York/New Jersey, either on Grimaldi or any other line. I don't think any of their vessel moved that date. According to the schedule I have, no plan for the date you mentioned
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by tzars(m): 5:07am On Jul 14, 2013
bellong: ^^^ Once a car is loaded, it takes between 16-21 days to reach Lagos from New York/New Jersey, either on Grimaldi or any other line. I don't think any of their vessel moved that date. According to the schedule I have, no plan for the date you mentioned

Ok and thanks for the info. I asked because a dealer told me that he got a mail from the shipping line that my car has sailed. The mail he did to me was on the 1st of July and so I guess the ship might have sailed within the time frame I quoted. It could be the ship sailed earlier. It has been four months now and I keep on expecting my car from this guy undecided
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 7:01am On Jul 14, 2013
tzars:

Ok and thanks for the info. I asked because a dealer told me that he got a mail from the shipping line that my car has sailed. The mail he did to me was on the 1st of July and so I guess the ship might have sailed within the time frame I quoted. It could be the ship sailed earlier. It has been four months now and I keep on expecting my car from this guy undecided

The vehicle could have sailed on Grande Gabon that left the US on the 28th June and already arrived on the 13th July(Yesterday).
Pile presure on your shipper for the BOL so you don't end up paying rent/demurage Associated with delayed clearing.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 7:14am On Jul 14, 2013
Femmy2010 has told you the possible scenario. The Grand Gabon already berth. I hope you don't end up paying demurrage because by now, ur BOL should be with your agent for the clearing process.

Next time, use a good freight forwarder. Goodluck
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Wsdmenpp: 10:21am On Jul 14, 2013
Well folks,

I think everyone should do their investigations and choose what's comfortable for them, first, the company I bought the car from, charged me a $130 for what they call documentation before the car was released, that meant that my car had no customs issues at the NJ ports. Normally, all things been equal, your vehicle should spend 7 days at the ports for customs clearing and thereafter be ready for the next available vessel. There are at least 3 vessels to Lagos from Nj ports monthly, one is direct and two via other ports in Africa . Most times the delay is caused by customs clearing and not Grimaldi . Here's where the issues arise, most cars bought from auctions are sent to the ports directly without any proper documentation hence that must be done before customs will release your vehicle to Grimaldii or any other shipping company. Customs clearance sometimes can be an issue not the shipping line.

Secondly , I used a Ghanian shipper in New Jersey, I wasn't ready for too many Nigerians making all sorts of claims and can't deliver at the end. virtually all Nigerians in Nj are either agents or shippers and all these affects your cost ultimately. I spent exactly $1047 to ship a Range Rover to Lagos and another 550,000 Naira for clearing.

I also bought the vehicle directly myself no agent or any third party, I made my investigations, paid through my bank and all went well, Got my vehicle at a very good deal and vehicle is very clean and what you will call Grade 1 Belgium.

I hope this long story will not be misconstrued but to she'd more light that you can do a lot by yourself and be in control of your business and accept what ever happens there after.

God will guide and give you all wisdom in all you do
Shalom

1 Like

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by tzars(m): 4:40pm On Jul 14, 2013
femmy2010:

The vehicle could have sailed on Grande Gabon that left the US on the 28th June and already arrived on the 13th July(Yesterday).
Pile presure on your shipper for the BOL so you don't end up paying rent/demurage Associated with delayed clearing.

I thought as much. But am yet to hear from the dealer. He said he has an agent who will handle the clearing and deliver the ride to me at my home, that he has mailed the BOL to the agent back then. Thanks Femmy
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by tzars(m): 4:44pm On Jul 14, 2013
bellong: Femmy2010 has told you the possible scenario. The Grand Gabon already berth. I hope you don't end up paying demurrage because by now, ur BOL should be with your agent for the clearing process.

Next time, use a good freight forwarder. Goodluck

I hope that what you are telling me is the case. Since the dealer said he has an agent to do the clearing and that he has sent the BOL to the agent, I was just inquiring to get a clear picture of the possible date of arrival in Lagos as am not in a position to call the dealer right now. Thanks for your input.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 6:26pm On Jul 14, 2013
tzars:

I hope that what you are telling me is the case. Since the dealer said he has an agent to do the clearing and that he has sent the BOL to the agent, I was just inquiring to get a clear picture of the possible date of arrival in Lagos as am not in a position to call the dealer right now. Thanks for your input.

I made the contribution on assumption that you are handling it yourself. Since the dealer already assured you of the delivery, give him your trust and await his performance.

Goodluck and enjoy the ride
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Friday18: 3:15am On Jul 15, 2013
@femmy2010,Pls do you have the schedule of when Grimaldi will be leaving for the month of July?I have a car that's due for shippment with them at the Baltimore Port
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 8:33am On Jul 15, 2013
Friday18: @femmy2010,Pls do you have the schedule of when Grimaldi will be leaving for the month of July?I have a car that's due for shippment with them at the Baltimore Port

The others have left, the only vessel remaining to leave for July will be on 21st which is the Grande Marocco (GMA 0613).
Goodluck to you.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 9:34am On Jul 15, 2013
Hello Guys,

Well i am expecting my documents today as the freight forwarder has sent my documents via Fedex. Since the vessel has berth yesterday, hope to start the clearing process ASAP. Now, where to get a good customs clearing agent ? Hmmm !!! undecided undecided
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 9:37am On Jul 15, 2013
samir101ng: Hello Guys,

Well i am expecting my documents today as the freight forwarder has sent my documents via Fedex. Since the vessel has berth yesterday, hope to start the clearing process ASAP. Now, where to get a good customs clearing agent ? Hmmm !!! undecided undecided

Give us a call at 08036363467 or email duduconsultt@yahoo.com for customs clearing service.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 9:42am On Jul 15, 2013
Sent you a mail earlier for a quote. What documents do you need exactly and how long will it take to clear ?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 10:13am On Jul 15, 2013
samir101ng: Sent you a mail earlier for a quote. What documents do you need exactly and how long will it take to clear ?

Need your bill of lading and any of your driver's licence,International passport or national IDcard.
Takes 2days to clear.
Thanks
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 10:32am On Jul 15, 2013
femmy2010:

Need your bill of lading and any of your driver's licence,International passport or national IDcard.
Takes 2days to clear.
Thanks

Remind him of TAX ID too? Don't leave that out since it is on his name.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 10:33am On Jul 15, 2013
samir101ng: Hello Guys,

Congrats. Next time, use a better freight forwarder. The documents should have arrived even before the ship enters Lagos.

Enjoy your ride
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Midasola: 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2013
bellong:

Remind him of TAX ID too? Don't leave that out since it is on his name.

@ bellong: thanks for the contributions to this thread.
One question please: how do you get TAX ID?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 12:45pm On Jul 15, 2013
Midasola:

@ bellong: thanks for the contributions to this thread.
One question please: how do you get TAX ID?

It is Tax Identification Number (TIN). Walk into any FIRS office, you will be given. It is free of charge.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2013
@Bellong,

thanks bro. Yes, my name is stated as the consignee. I have a TIN number and also an international passport. I have the soft copy of the bill of laden as the original documents are in Lagos at the office to enable faster access. Need to start this clearing thing ASAP. Before heavy charges start applying. When do they start charging a person before clearing a vehicle ?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 5:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
samir101ng: @Bellong,

thanks bro. Yes, my name is stated as the consignee. I have a TIN number and also an international passport. I have the soft copy of the bill of laden as the original documents are in Lagos at the office to enable faster access. Need to start this clearing thing ASAP. Before heavy charges start applying. When do they start charging a person before clearing a vehicle ?

The vessel arrived Saturday the 13th,demurage/rent would start counting from Tuesday the 16th.(3days rent free,the day the vessel berth is included so also is Saturdays and sundays).
The earlier the best.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 5:29pm On Jul 15, 2013
samir101ng: @Bellong,

You have been answered. Please do fast to prevent demurrage. He should help you do it.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 2:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
Thanks guys, already on it. shocked shocked

Just waiting for them to finish the process and take delivery. But for a little more enlightenment of the process, after giving your vehicle documents (bill of lading, receipt etc), I.D, TIN and other particulars to the clearing agent, what then does the clearing agent do next ? @femmy2010, will appreciate your input on this as i am expecting another consignment soon. Thanks.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2013
samir101ng: Thanks guys, already on it. shocked shocked

Just waiting for them to finish the process and take delivery. But for a little more enlightenment of the process, after giving your vehicle documents (bill of lading, receipt etc), I.D, TIN and other particulars to the clearing agent, what then does the clearing agent do next ? @femmy2010, will appreciate your input on this as i am expecting another consignment soon. Thanks.

The clearing agent uses it at the custom office as they are the licensed agents granted the right to negotiate with custom. (Fhemmy2010 can explain better). Custom gives valuation of the vehicle and they pay as well as other port/terminal charges. Then your vehicle is out
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 3:32pm On Jul 17, 2013
bellong:

The clearing agent uses it at the custom office as they are the licensed agents granted the right to negotiate with custom. (Fhemmy2010 can explain better). Custom gives valuation of the vehicle and they pay as well as other port/terminal charges. Then your vehicle is out

You said it all my bruva.
The agent gets valuation,pays the approved duty,do physical examination with customs,get it approved for delivery and you are set to paint the street of Lagos red with your new aquisition.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Tinubu Receives Petition Against Dangote Over $3.4 Billion Siphoned Through CBN / Paddy Adenuga And Feyi Fawehinmi Clash Over Chevron Netherlands Story / Aliko Dangote Says Apapa-oshodi Road Will Last For 40 Years When Completed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.