Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,705 members, 7,809,684 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House (19228 Views)

What Becomes Of Kids In Orphanages When They Grow Up? / 20 Things You Must Teach Your Children Before They Grow Up / 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by HAH: 9:30pm On Jun 01, 2013
1, When they are buying you shoe it has to be over sized so that you can use it for long.

2,Your used clothes will always be given to your younger ones.

3, At puberty age you will use spirits to grow pubic hair .

3 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by izuplayspiano(m): 9:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
grin grin grin hearing my full thick Ijaw name was enough to get me scampering for safety....childhood was fun though

4 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by mediainspired: 9:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
@OP, how about the annoying Nigerian culture that suggests that WHENEVER THERE'S A QUARREL, THE PARENTS WILL INSIST THE YOUNGER PERSON IS ALWAYS, ALWAYS THE GUILTY PARTY AND MUST APOLOGISE FOR RECONCILIATION. EVEN IF THE OLDER CHILD IS GLARINGLY WRONG AND KNOWS IT, HE/SHE WILL STILL FEEL SMUG AND CLAIM HE/SHE HAS BEEN OFFENDED AND U MUST MASSAGE HIS/HER EGO BY BEGGING. MUCH LIKE THE PROVERB THAT SAYS THE COCKCROACH IS NEVER INNOCENT WITH A HEN. Its so annoying. Some of my siblings still want to do that crap with me - even as adults.

2 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Kingslaw(m): 9:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
Nice and great ways of life.i love Nigeria.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by babaowo: 9:48pm On Jun 01, 2013
Kingslaw: Nice and great ways of life.i love Nigeria.
naija 4 life!!!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 01, 2013
Oh yea,one more! When u'r done eating u say 'thank u ma/sir'! When i was much younger,we all wld file upstairs to say thank u ma/sir!! Lol! I still do that tho only wen dey are around me sha embarassed
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by AbuMikey(m): 9:53pm On Jun 01, 2013
When your friends dont greet your parents ,den d friendship its ova!!!

4 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by addicted268(f): 9:57pm On Jun 01, 2013
ifihearam:

RFLMAO

So true man ehhhh
hahaha.all so true especially d 3 head thing and nos 23.I thought this nos 23 happened only to me.lol.whenever my mum called(more like screamed) my name to d fullest and with a strech,hmm,my heart skipped several beats and I'd be mentally calculating: "what have I done/not done again?"

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by vanbonattel: 9:57pm On Jun 01, 2013
Abu Mikey: When your friends dont greet your parents ,den d friendship its ova!!!

Why will your friend not greet your papa, dem be mates?
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by mmimahbub(m): 9:57pm On Jun 01, 2013
naanxie: Oh yea,one more! When u'r done eating u say 'thank u ma/sir'! When i was much younger,we all wld file upstairs to say thank u ma/sir!! Lol! I still do that tho only wen dey are around me sha embarassed
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 01, 2013
You are not allowed τ̲̅ȍ measure gari frm d bag,your mum or elder siblings measure ΐτ̅ fO̶̲̥̅̊Я̩̥̊ you,too bad!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by vanbonattel: 10:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
naanxie: Oh yea,one more! When u'r done eating u say 'thank u ma/sir'! When i was much younger,we all wld file upstairs to say thank u ma/sir!! Lol! I still do that tho only wen dey are around me sha embarassed

Teaches them humility.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by houstonia(m): 10:12pm On Jun 01, 2013
Chicken was a privilege, either its Sunday or Christmas.

Beef wasn't given fully,
one always had to share with siblings except the first day of the soup or stew. Other than that the largest chunk was left to mum and dad who weren't even growing. Basically the theory of "let the young eat well cause they need to grow" never really applied. LMAO

2 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by rajazzmine(f): 10:16pm On Jun 01, 2013
ifihearam:

RFLMAO

So true man ehhhh
seriously? is this all u gat to say? pls dnt quote d entire story nxttym.

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by othenok(f): 10:16pm On Jun 01, 2013
Op, And whenever Mum or Dad gets home we all troop out to welcome them.
Eating from the same plate with your siblings. ( Hated that part)
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Kk4(m): 10:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
this brings back old memories. thanks op for this one
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by awesomet1(m): 10:43pm On Jun 01, 2013
lalaosky: 10. Your parents will call you from upstairs, downstairs, outside, etc., to hand them something that is literally 10 centimeters away from them.
[size=18pt]SO TRUE, MY MUM MOST OF ALL![/size]
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Oahray: 10:57pm On Jun 01, 2013
Lmao! Spot on! Many of em sha...
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by israelboy1(m): 11:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
Nice one
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by radioactive(f): 11:09pm On Jun 01, 2013
othenok: Op, And whenever Mum or Dad gets home we all troop out to welcome them.

Quite true and they never outgrow their need for acknowledgement and recognition. My Dad still thinks I have to run outside to welcome him any time he comes home even when i'm doing something important.

There's also the withering look you got for daring to nibble at your piece of meat without finishing all the food in your plate.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Rickywowoz: 11:09pm On Jun 01, 2013
Most of these things are truely ridiculous bt they in one way or the other made us better people, taught us good ethics and values..pls my fellow Nigerians let it nt die with us,lets pass discipline down to our children...i believe the African way is the best. Long live Nigeria..Long live Africa...Long live the black race.

4 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by dominique(f): 11:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
Omg so so true. No 10 can be very annoying, my dad did that a lot. My big sister got the rap for our misdeeds most of the time (fun to watch cheesy). We hardly had extended family over and I didn't really call my elder ones by uncle/aunty tho. And oh, we always had juice or soda in the fridge cool. Threads like this makes me miss my childhood days cry
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Ebubemg(m): 11:23pm On Jun 01, 2013
nice one there ;Dnice one there
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by churific(m): 11:30pm On Jun 01, 2013
That's quite a lot of generalization you're doing there my friend. Some of these are generally true and not just in "African" homes, but still...
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by banky222: 11:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
othenok: Op, And whenever Mum or Dad gets home we all troop out to welcome them.
Eating from the same plate with your siblings. ( Hated that part)
yeSssss and when u fail to join others in welcoming dad, you are in for a long question and answer section.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by sambos994(m): 11:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
Ha! This happened in my household all the time!!!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by banky222: 12:00am On Jun 02, 2013
hmmm try yoursrelf by switching on that black and white TV without dad's permition or tune d FM from Bendel broadcasting service to radio Rivers 2, when dad is not at home! You will be cross examined like a criminal

3 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 1:15am On Jun 02, 2013
Sooo true
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by CHIMSKY(m): 1:22am On Jun 02, 2013
Was great growing up.Now I look at my kids and they take so much for granted.But these traditional things are what keep the African and Asian Communities going.Their kids have a firm grip on reality.We may live in New York but we know where the lines are drawn.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Truckpusher(m): 2:36am On Jun 02, 2013
banky222: hmmm try yoursrelf by switching on that black and white TV without dad's permition or tune d FM from Bendel broadcasting service to radio Rivers 2, when dad is not at home! You will be cross examined like a criminal
grin grin grin
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nogen: 5:22am On Jun 02, 2013
boron10: More like the upbringing of a yoruba child.

Smh, must you tribalise everything? Was brought up in such a household and am not YORUBA, it is a Nigerian thing and most African parents bring up their children that way. An American lady once told me that we Africans must never lose our values and morals. She admires us a lot. This is a lady in her 60s who asked me to call her by her first name. I rejectedi it vehemently , that it is rude where I come from to call my Grandma by her first name. She started watching my friends and I closely and that made her begged us to always keep our morals and values. That in America, they have lost it and the consequences are what we see today unless they revert to the old ways of bringing up children..
I weep whenever I see our so called elite class bringing up their children the American way.

3 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by naiko: 5:23am On Jun 02, 2013
true,these are some of the values that makesmus African but the point is,how many of us 2day do pass on the same value to our children.most of us have in one way or the other westernized everything in our homes.alto,of our kids 2day cannot even speak our native dialect talkmore of knowing our culture.i fear the moral future of the next generation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Good School In Ibadan / He Said He 'touched' Her..&for Me That Has Changed A Lot Of Things! / Waiting For Conception: The Travails Of Couples In The Hands Of “womb Watchers”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.