Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House (19251 Views)

What Becomes Of Kids In Orphanages When They Grow Up? / 20 Things You Must Teach Your Children Before They Grow Up / 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by notinmege: 12:39pm On Jun 03, 2013
lalaosky: Everthing about this is so true. Lmao

Especially the sex part, I remember my dad telling my sis when she was still a child "please don't let any boy touch you, before you get pregant"

Walayi if it was that simple, I for don impregnant queen eliza and become a royal nigga by now. Lmao

Thanks alosiby92 for this link

Na only Eliza dey u important? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 03, 2013
Mostly true.
And, you never ever use your left hand, especially, to eat, to swear, to give or collect something.
Usually, the father cannot eat less than two pieces of meat, every meal; where there's shortage, the ceildren must share or some must go without.
However, it's ironic that some of the comments here are from young parents who do not practise most of the good points raise in the post.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2013
1.Every time me and my sister got into a fight my mum wld beat the crap out of both of us, even if my sister was the one who started the argument angry
2. My parents called be by which ever nickname they deemed fit...I used to have a million nicknames back then. My mum called my tinkindo if she wanted a favourite...my dad tinka-lee. I was only called by my full name wen I was in trouble
3. No matter how many times u showed my mum which channel is where she wld still wake u up at 11pm to channel the channel for her
4. Parents buy phones and tablets they have no idea of how to use
5. My mum still shouts at my 26 year old sister for coming home after 7pm but she doesn't mind her going for all night prayers and coming back the next morning undecided
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by adctrl: 4:30pm On Jun 03, 2013
I am Yoruba and thought these apply to Yorubas only but it seems someone else earlier said he experienced most or all though he is not a Yoruba.

I can hardly count the number of times I ate chicken thigh when i was a kid....that's always for my papa. Probably only Christmas by luck when more than 2 hens are slaughtered. What they don't realise is that even kids should eat the most-fleshy part for "development" at that age

Overall, I have to say most of the points are still very good but we Nigerians or Africans needs to improve on some of the point......more consideration, communication will help a long way

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by khiaa(f): 1:06am On Jul 06, 2013
Nogen:

Smh, must you tribalise everything? Was brought up in such a household and am not YORUBA, it is a Nigerian thing and most African parents bring up their children that way. An American lady once told me that we Africans must never lose our values and morals. She admires us a lot. This is a lady in her 60s who asked me to call her by her first name. I rejectedi it vehemently , that it is rude where I come from to call my Grandma by her first name. She started watching my friends and I closely and that made her begged us to always keep our morals and values. That in America, they have lost it and the consequences are what we see today unless they revert to the old ways of bringing up children..
I weep whenever I see our so called elite class bringing up their children the American way.

What is the American way? Every statement on that list applies to some American homes also. It is not just an African way of life, it is universal.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nogen: 8:44pm On Jul 06, 2013
khiaa:

What is the American way? Every statement on that list applies to some American homes also. It is not just an African way of life, it is universal.

seriously? That must be the America of George Washington era!!!!!!!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by khiaa(f): 11:42pm On Jul 06, 2013
[quote author=Nogen]

seriously? That must be the America of George Washington era!!!!!!![/quote

Seriously? Do you live in America? Have you been to every American home? Really, the arrogance of some of you people is unbelievable.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by kennyfao(m): 11:31am On Jul 09, 2013
U got me on that 23

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Mom Doesn't Appreciate Me. How Do I Handle This? / What Was The Most Foolish Thing You Did When You Were A Kid? / Live-In Maids Vs Non-Live-In HouseKeepers: Which Is Preferable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.