Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,171 members, 7,825,658 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? (6976 Views)

SONGS That Make You Feel GODS Presence / Songs That Makes You Feel God's Presence? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:

The problem is there is is never anywhere, he does nothing, but they keep giving him all the praise and thinking him for doing nothing all of the time. . .A christian kid gets sick, and an atheist or hindu comes and helps, the christians will say its their god that sent the person. . .If the child doesn't get well and his condition worsen's and the child suffers more, then it is the devil or it is not their god's will for the child to get well. . .All one excuse after the other for a god that is never there. . .

My brother, na so Nigerians dey pack come dis syd for medical treatment. You'll see them abusing the Indians for worshiping fake gods, going to shrines... yet they're trooping here in large numbers for medical care. There's a girl who just had an operation. I met her brother yesterday and he said a Nigerian pastor prayed for her before she went into the theater and she got healed..

In exasperation, I asked him "A Hindu girl from a Hindu family in a Hindu nation goes to a Hindu school, spends years studying and gains knowledge to correctly diagnose your sister's health condition, and you have the audacity to attribute her recovery to your Christian GOD?"

He kept quiet while everyone else in the room (all Nigerians) threw strange stares at me. I quickly changed the subject.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by bolaino(m): 9:00am On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
Very good, and you don't think that it is possible God placed you in that position so that those kids could be helped through you?
well I honestly don't think so, the concept of being grateful to God is a very tricky subject, cos if you're thanking God for sending rain to water your crops, you should also acknowledge that it's the same God that allows hurricanes and tsunamis to kill and devastate people.

Imagine a coffin maker thanking God for making his business boom everyday, or thanking God for bringing him more customers, that's where the personal God idea is flawed, I believe there is no personal God that helps cure your headache or provides a multimillion dollar contract for you, things happen because they happen, wiegraf should be better equipped to discuss this, I believe the anthrophic principle would enlighten u more on this subject. There's a saying that when rain falls it falls on both the good and bad people, that's just life.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 9:11am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto:

My brother, na so Nigerians dey pack come dis syd for medical treatment. You'll see them abusing the Indians for worshiping fake gods, going to shrines... yet they're trooping here in large numbers for medical care. There's a girl who just had an operation. I met her brother yesterday and he said a Nigerian pastor prayed for her before she went into the theater and she got healed..

In exasperation, I asked him "A Hindu girl from a Hindu family in a Hindu nation goes to a Hindu school, spends years studying and gains knowledge to correctly diagnose your sister's health condition, and you have the audacity to attribute her recovery to your Christian GOD?"

He kept quiet while everyone else in the room (all Nigerians) threw strange stares at me. I quickly changed the subject.

Na so, I was in a hospital last year in PH. . .Went to visit my friend's mum. . .Some people there were just screaming on the top of their voices all in the name of prayers. . .One doctor came and told them to stop praying that way because they were disturbing the place and others, immediately they started attacking the guy that he is an agent of the devil and their prayers are disturbing and exposing him. grin. . .I was forced to talk out of disgust. . .i told them if their prayers work and their god answers prayers they will never be in the hospital in the first place, they will pray for their ward at home and he will be healed, there will be no need for them coming to the hospital if their god truly heals, after all the bible recommended that people be taken to the church elders to be prayed upon when they fall sick. . .As long as they are in the hospital, they have to respect others and stop screaming, if they must pray they must do so quitely. . .You need to see the look on the woman's face after I spoke to her. . .The look on her face was as if she just saw an angle of death or something. . .She was so shocked she couldn't utter a word. . .I know in her mind she will be like, see this guy is satan. . . grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by bolaino(m): 9:14am On Jun 02, 2013
Just the other day I met a christ embassy member, a young man, not more than 25, he claimed to have prayed for people who had unequal leg length and the legs became equal, I asked him for prove and he told me that I should go to christ embassy to confirm,

I stared at this young man with so much awe, not awe of admiration, but awe of "what d hell", I asked him why does God allow evil things happen, and he replied me and said that, God is not willing to do anything for anybody, cos he has given us all the power to do whatever we want and it shall come to pass,

the point I'm trying to make is that many Nigerians have shut out completely their ability to reason rationally.

1 Like

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:

Na so, I was in a hospital last year in PH. . .Went to visit my friend's mum. . .Some people there were just screaming on the top of their voices all in the name of prayers. . .One doctor came and told them to stop praying that way because they were disturbing the place and others, immediately they started attacking the guy that he is an agent of the devil and their prayers are disturbing and exposing him. grin. . .I was forced to talk out of disgust. . .i told them if their prayers work and their god answers prayers they will never be in the hospital in the first place, they will pray for their ward at home and he will be healed, there will be no need for them coming to the hospital if their god truly heals, after all the bible recommended that people be taken to the church elders to be prayed upon when they fall sick. . .As long as they are in the hosital, they have to respet others and stop screaming, if they must pray they must do so quitely. . .You need to see the look on the woman's face after I spoke to her. . .The look on her face was as if she just saw an angle of death or something. . .She was so shocked she couldn't utter a word. . .I know in her mind she will be like, see this guy is satan. . . grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by bolaino(m): 9:20am On Jun 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

hahahahahaha, lwkmd, logicboy, u be mumu oo, lwkmd, u haf kee me,
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 02, 2013
bolaino: hahahahahaha, lwkmd, logicboy, u be mumu oo, lwkmd, u haf kee me,
The guy na real fool.. lmao..

2 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 1:45pm On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:
Why can't your god help the kids himself by protecting them against the diseases in the first place?. . .Or healing them directly when they get sick, since according to the narrative he can do all these things. . . .
Would you like a world where no one could ever possibly get sick? Would such a world prove God to you?

Your god did not place him any where. . .He placed himself where ever he found himself and is using his human compassion to help the kids. . .Your god has nothing to do with anything. . .
The bold is a terrible contradiction. You either placed yourself somewhere or you found yourself somewhere not both. So which is it?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 1:57pm On Jun 02, 2013
bolaino: well I honestly don't think so, the concept of being grateful to God is a very tricky subject, cos if you're thanking God for sending rain to water your crops, you should also acknowledge that it's the same God that allows hurricanes and tsunamis to kill and devastate people.

Imagine a coffin maker thanking God for making his business boom everyday, or thanking God for bringing him more customers, that's where the personal God idea is flawed, I believe there is no personal God that helps cure your headache or provides a multimillion dollar contract for you, things happen because they happen, wiegraf should be better equipped to discuss this, I believe the anthrophic principle would enlighten u more on this subject. There's a saying that when rain falls it falls on both the good and bad people, that's just life.
If what you say here is true, then I don't see any reason why you should be concerned about sick and dying children neither do I see any reason why you should help them. That's just life, things just happen right?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by thehomer: 2:19pm On Jun 02, 2013
ezme: Dear Atheist,

Judging from your religious stance, I know that you do not have the psyche of the Believer and therefore would not attribute the outcome of your choices in life to a third party. You know above all things that a sound judgment is the best guide to living your life. You understand the erratic nature of life and therefore make projections accommodating all the "Maybe's" that comes with walking this earth.

You understand that life is a not a story, and you are not automatically the protagonist/hero.You know that there are no dark forces(village people/family/enemies/demons)trying to undermine your every move. You know that you won't get help from a third party supreme being by practicing a religion.In whatever you do, you do not congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either as you know your choices are a half chance and so are everybody else's,irrespective of what they believe.

I don't know about you but my life is my story in which I'm the protagonist. Oh there actually could be people trying to undermine your moves maybe to get ahead. The thing is that those wishing you harm cannot do this using magic.

ezme:
But, do you ever feel the need to be thankful after a run of positive events in your life. The need to attribute these blessings to the handiwork of a supreme being. Do such thoughts blindside you while in traffic when making the return trip from a work day outing?

P.S: I really want to know your thoughts especially those atheist who were formerly Christians or Muslims.

No I don't feel the need to attribute anything to a supreme being so such thoughts don't even occur to me. When something surprising happens, I thank those responsible either directly or indirectly by learning and appreciating whatever it is.

What was the last thing you thanked someone for?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 3:18pm On Jun 02, 2013
thehomer:

I don't know about you but my life is my story in which I'm the protagonist. Oh there actually could be people trying to undermine your moves maybe to get ahead. The thing is that those wishing you harm cannot do this using magic.

No I don't feel the need to attribute anything to a supreme being so such thoughts don't even occur to me. When something surprising happens, I thank those responsible either directly or indirectly by learning and appreciating whatever it is.

What was the last thing you thanked someone for?

For sure, when it is your life story you are the protagonist. A documentary of the history of Nigeria will not have your character as the protagonist.

The last thing I thanked someone for was a barbecue catfish and a cold bottle of Heineken. grin grin grin
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 3:21pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
Would you like a world where no one could ever possibly get sick? Would such a world prove God to you?

Is the bolded not part of characteristics of the Utopian earth you describe as Heaven?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
If what you say here is true, then I don't see any reason why you should be concerned about sick and dying children neither do I see any reason why you should help them. That's just life, things just happen right?
WTF
I think theism needs better defenders.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 02, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:
WTF
I think theism needs better defenders.

I thought that I was the only one seeing the nonsensical nonsense that Anony was writing.

How does it relate to the fact that God keeps silent and watches as how babies die, children suffer starvation and abuse.

Well, God sat and watched as his son Jesus was beaten, tortured and crucified like a beast and then forsook him on the cross....
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by bolaino(m): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
why should'nt I help sick kids? I believe providence has put me in a position to be of help to people who can't help themselves, and I have chosen, as a responsible human being to help as much people as I can,
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

I thought that I was the only one seeing the nonsensical nonsense that Anony was writing.

How does it relate to the fact that God keeps silent and watches as how babies die, children suffer starvation and abuse.

Well, God sat and watched as his son Jesus was beaten, tortured and crucified like a beast and then forsook him on the cross....

that's cos he is a masochistic monkey-wrench.. he loves the pain and suffering

1 Like

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 02, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

that's cos he is a masochistic monkey-wrench.. he loves the pain and suffering

I don't think so. He's just willing to go any length to win an argument.. grin
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 4:58pm On Jun 02, 2013
bolaino: why should'nt I help sick kids? I believe providence has put me in a position to be of help to people who can't help themselves, and I have chosen, as a responsible human being to help as much people as I can,
You see my problem with you here is that your argument is not consistent. If your argument is that life just happens, then if the kids suffer and die it is just their luck, if the kids survive and live healthy, it is also just their luck. Likewise, if you help them, it is just their luck, if you don't help them, it is also just their luck. Whether you are rich or poor it is just your luck, whether they suffer or not it is also just their luck. Whether you help or not, life just happens. Where then exactly does the "responsibility" you are talking about come from?

P/s: I'm assuming that by "providence" you actually mean chance because providence really means divine guidance and if that's what you mean then you would have conceded that God put you in such a position to help those children.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 5:01pm On Jun 02, 2013
ezme:
Is the bolded not part of characteristics of the Utopian earth you describe as Heaven?
Would you like to live in such a place as Heaven?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
Would you like to live in such a place as Heaven?

You would find my view on this here >>> https://www.nairaland.com/1219892/how-appealing-promise-eternal-life
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 5:26pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
You see my problem with you here is that your argument is not consistent. If your argument is that life just happens, then if the kids suffer and die it is just their luck, if the kids survive and live healthy, it is also just their luck. Likewise, if you help them, it is just their luck, if you don't help them, it is also just their luck. Whether you are rich or poor it is just your luck, whether they suffer or not it is also just their luck. Whether you help or not, life just happens. Where then exactly does the "responsibility" you are talking about come from?

The responsibility comes from his compassion as a human being to another human he see is in need of help. . .Why do you keep asking silly and weak questions?. . .
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 5:34pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:

As some one rightly pointed out, isn't that the utopia you guys call heaven?. . .I will love a world where your god will do his job, at least hell the sick kids whose parents are constantly praying for them to be healed without relying on humans to do everything for him, since you guys claim he exist and interferes in the world. . .

The bold is a terrible contradiction. You either placed yourself somewhere or you found yourself somewhere not both. So which is it?

The position he fond himself is has nothing to do with your god. . .
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:

The responsibility comes from his compassion as a human being to another human he see is in need of help. . .Why do you keep asking silly and weak questions?. . .

C'mon.....Majaze, you know the answer to that! angry

Anony asks this questions to shift the argument from his weak point to a place where you are on the defensive

Atheist; Anony, why should I thank God for my wealth but not thank him for the suffering of children in Somalia

Anony; Have you done anything for children in somalia

Atheist; angry
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 5:35pm On Jun 02, 2013
ezme: You would find my view on this here >>> https://www.nairaland.com/1219892/how-appealing-promise-eternal-life
Will I be right to conclude that you don't want to live in a place like heaven?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 5:35pm On Jun 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

C'mon.....Majaze, you know the answer to that! angry

Anony asks this questions to shift the argument from his weak point to a place where you are on the defensive

Atheist; Anony, why should I thank God for my wealth but not thank him for the suffering of children in Somalia

Anony; Have you done anything for children in somalia

Atheist; angry

grin grin grin. . . .PERFECT!!!
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 5:39pm On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:
As some one rightly pointed out, isn't that the utopia you guys call heaven?. . .I will love a world where your god will do his job, at least hell the sick kids whose parents are constantly praying for them to be healed without relying on humans to do everything for him, since you guys claim he exist and interferes in the world. . .
you still haven't answered my question. Do you want a world without sickness? Yes or no? because if you don't, then you have no business complaining that there are sick people in the world you currently live in.

The position he fond himself is has nothing to do with your god. . .
How do you know this to be true?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 5:42pm On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:
Lol, do you even know what a responsibility is? The fact that you want to do something does not place a responsibility upon you to do it
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 5:44pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
you still haven't answered my question. Do you want a world without sickness? Yes or no? because if you don't, then you have no business complaining that there are sick people in the world you currently live in.

Sure, i will want a world without sickness.

How do you know this to be true?

His hard work and the people around him helped him to attain what ever position he has attained in life. . .Your god has nothing to do with that. . .If you disagree then you should tell me exactly how your god has helped him attain anything in his life. . .
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 5:45pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol, do you even know what a responsibility is? The fact that you want to do something does not place a responsibility upon you to do it

And this means what?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 5:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
Will I be right to conclude that you don't want to live in a place like heaven?

I'm not responsible for the conclusions you draw from reading my premises.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 5:58pm On Jun 02, 2013
ezme:

I'm not responsible for the conclusions you draw from reading my premises.
lol, then please point me right: Would you like to live in a world like heaven where there is no sickness? yes or no?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 5:59pm On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:

And this means what?
What part exactly did you not understand?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is The Order Of Events In Your Church? / Which Of These Churches Has The Finest/best Choir / When Do You Listen To Christian Songs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.