Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It (6721 Views)

The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 6:02pm On Apr 30, 2008
Depression is a very serious epidemic that is rapidly growing amongst our young people. There are many contributing factors:
Family,Love,Lust,Joblessness,School,abuse,incest,rape, adultry,rejection,environment are just a few.

I personally know quite a bit about this Disease called depression. I am Healing from it.
There are times even now that this horrible thing tries to creep back into my life, But i have to fight it.
I have seen many a dark days. There were many times i did not and could not,get out of my bed in the morning. The simple things of life were even a challenge,
I have stories, let me hear from you. We can overcome. There is life after depression.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 9:45pm On May 01, 2008
hi, its a nice topic. i have suffered from anxiety and depression for years and noone understands. when i tell my fellow naija friends they tell me to snap out of it. i really wish it could go cuz it affects my life and its so bad cuzi hurt so much and i find myself crying for long hours, sometimes i am so scared to tlk about it cuz of ridicule and i know its messing up my life cuz am young and it makes me isolate myself alot. i am normally a happy person and the life of any party but i have so many dark days i forget myself. i wish i could be free, sometimes i feel my mind ruins me and i just never commend my self for anything. i pace around my room thinkin and thinkin, sleepless nights , its horrible!!!! its worse than suffering, how did u heal? i dont know why i have it, it just doesnt want to go.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by LASIEFAIRE(m): 9:57pm On May 01, 2008
NICE POST.
I never really understood depressed people, some even made me mad with the way they always pity theirselves, but with a few lectures and discussions with depressed people, I still havent come close to what they see reality as but i feel their pain. Living a life with out hope, seeing a future in which you are not a part of is alone depressing. Now, I try as much as I can to help depressed people. One thing I have come to realise from lectures is never keep what a depressed person tells you a secret, especially those involving suicidal thoughts,  talk to a professional and try to get them to a professional.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 10:06pm On May 01, 2008
yeah i agree with you. i feel depression is a mind thing but its really horrible. when people are depressed sometimes it shows sometimes it doesnt, i spend days laughing and playing but inside me i hurt. i lived in denial for so long but not i accept it and try to live with it. its really bad and sometimes i want to tk medication to calm myself and i dont but i just pray, to be honest, its bad, i have had a good life, good family and all and i wont ask for anything more but i dont understand,
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 10:07pm On May 01, 2008
lasiefaire what kinds of lectures did u take? just wondering,
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 11:57pm On May 01, 2008
NubianQ-

You are not alone my sister. Depression,by far, has got to be the ugliest thing anyone could possibly go thru.Its merciless,its vindictive,its deceitful,and it's detrimental to anyone who has been ensnared by it.

Depression is CLINICALLY a chemical inbalance of the brain.(this does not make us insane) But it can! SPIRITUALLY speaking, it is a disease that only God can cure,and a Satanic attack of the enemy to keep Gods people bound up.

Although it is good to have someone to speak to about our depression,in which case we simply want someone to validate our emotions. It is not always the cure.
There were times when i came out of therapy feeling the same way i went in.

Personally speaking,My depression came at different times in my life and depending on the circumstances in my life determined the degree of my depression at the time.Even the weather played a factor.
Anything could trigger it. It could have been from losing my job, to, my husband wasn't paying me any attention, or sometime i just wasn't satisfied where my life was or even, i didn't feel good about myself.

Looking on the outside no one knew what i was going through,I knew how to mask it very well.I just like you Nubian,was the life of the party,dressed well.successful children,nice home,all of the external things were great. My insides were empty.
On top of all of that I was(still am) a Christian.

Nubian, All of my problems had a root(i'll go into a bit more detail next post) I had to condition my to think ,act a certain way my entire life based on certain situations.
This depression is the Final EXPLOSION after you supress things for so long. Its like Toxic waste exuding out of a rusty container. Once it starts escaping, it begins to deteriorate the entire location.
Just as there is Waste Management that can clean up the Toxins. Depression can be cleaned up and every trace of it can be removed. God ultimately gets the glory for it,But he puts things in place in our lives to help us on the journey to recovery,Be it Meds,Counseling,friends, or people like myself That has been there and can now extend an arm to uplift someone else out of this Horrific disease.

Once your freed you must always turn around and free someone else.

mizzlanae@yahoo.com
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 12:33am On May 02, 2008
LASIEFAIRE-

My brother,thanks for your input.
Depression can happen to anyone, we have all felt it at some point in our lives.There are just different degrees of the disease. Depression can be felt by any human being that has had there heart broken,or has had any degree of emotional discomfort or pain that eventually had to be supressed because life goes on, ANIMALS even get depressed when they are moved from one home to another, or even if they have lost there owner to death and or who is sick.CHILDREN get depressed when there is change in the home, or when there Dad is working too much to give them hugs or play ball with them outside. Some get depressed because parents put so much strain on them for perfection,And they simply can't handle the pressure.They grow up to be depressed adults because they feel there never good eough.(some have even committed suicide)
You stated that you "hate talking to depressed people,because they always seem to be pitying themselves.""OUCH!" That is by far one of the poorest judges of character i have heard in a while.
People that get depressed;for whatever reason, do not wear a sign on themselves that read" I'M a dpressed person,please feel sorry for me"So it is inapropriate of you to make a statement like that.
LAISIEFAIRE-
You cannot tell a man with no feet to put his shoes on,Nor can you tell a man without legs to walk.
Just so,you cannot attend a few lectures and meetings and meet what you consider to be depressed people and feel that now you somehow can help them simply because you feel sorry for them. It doesn't work that way my dear.
Number one GET RID OF your stereotypes. Get in touch with your own emotional self. Don't mistake negative people with depressed people. Be aware that there are some people that really have a hard time in life,and just because you may have it together in a particular area of your life doesn't mean everyone else should. We are not all strong in the same areas.
By all means be a good listener. People that suffer with depression are Victims of the disease they didn't pick up a bad habit.

Your Sister in Christ.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 12:47am On May 02, 2008
hey mizz,

yeah i know. sometimesi wonder why me. so many things make me depressed. and i get so pessimistic its terrible, well i pray it goes, its hard and worse of all am not married, i can imagine if my future husband can cope , hmmmm hopefully it would be gone. i guess i need to take it off my mind at some point, i get headaches worrying so much, its a horrible disease,
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 12:50am On May 02, 2008
LASIEFARIE_
FYI, Whenver you engage in a conversation with someone,Make sure they are the one that told you they were depressed.
Secondly,Unless they tell you to disclose there private thoughts and or concerns,KEEP YOUR mouth shut!
The exception to the rule is,YES, If they have expressed Suicidal Tendancies,and if you know the person and they are showing Suicidal behavior ie; Giving all there prized posessions away,there expressing there love in any other way unlike themselves(That can be seen as verbal suicide letters).

"Were forever learning"
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by LASIEFAIRE(m): 12:56am On May 02, 2008
mizzlanae
I apologize for not clearify. When I talk about depression, I am talking about chronic depression. am not talking of the few depressed moment we fall into once in a while. And by help, am not talking about try to fix their problem myself. I particularly said get them to a professional to state that. I for one know that I can't directly help  a depressed person am no professional, but I believe with the lectures I have received I will be able to approach, comfort, listen or just be there at a better level than a Commoner will.

NubianQ
Its all instituitional lectures and discussion created by world class pyschologist. It focuses on how to indirectly help someone who is depressed, ways to approach them, how to talk to them - but the main idea of all the lectures is usually how to find professional help for them.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 12:57am On May 02, 2008
NUBIANQ-
I am no longer married. My husband contributed to my depression. He was so ignorant of a lot of things.
I am now healed from my divorce and i'm waiting for God to bless me again.
I had to learn to Love myself all over again. Now i dont have to settle for second best.
We cannot Worry and Pray to God,which are you goin to choose? He wants to help you but YOU keep getting in the way Sis, LOL.
We always do that but it sends him the message that we don't trust him.
God can handle all our Problems. They are very small to Him.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 1:05am On May 02, 2008
Mild depression left untreated will develop into Chronic depression.
Those everyday,down and out,feeling blue moments eventually develop into mild depression.
Be careful who you refer these people to.
A lot of phsychiatrist need help themselves, LOL

Keep up the good work my brother
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 1:23am On May 02, 2008
oh mizz,

i get you girl, well atleast you are all sorted, tlking about marriage am 28 n to be honest i dont care much for it cuz its scary and sometimes i just dont know. my depresstn started first of all with me. i was always having different personalities when i was younger, i was funny to my friends and then queit to others cuz i just coulndt get that confidence in myself, its followed me adulthood and i started Binge eating and gaining weight. at first i would stop and lose weight and gain it back, then i started with relationships, i had many emotional abusive ones and i blamed myself and i made so many mistakes, sometimes i just ate and ate and sometimes i didnt or i stayed quiet, there were times in my life where i just doubted myself, my friends would say i was cute but i didnt care, but nowadays i just rock what i have got but i still fight with self but now i just stay as i am, plus sized and living positive sometimes. but i have my dark days, my 4 year relationship ended in december n it broke me, i was hurt, n scared and now i still live in that fear, Gosh i am happy i can tell you, i went thru hell, now, i dont care much but i hurt, depression has been with me for years, it just takes a different direction, I dont believe in love, just Gods love, men dont understand, Nigerian men are worse so, relationships are a no go area for me.thanks for posting this topic and God bless u, there is so much emotion as i type, cry
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 2:31am On May 02, 2008
Nubi-
I'm glad you are able to express yourself. I was already married at 28 and had children. i remember growing up and being able to be myself with certain people and then when i came home it was different. I had no siblings and my home was broken. A lot of times i just had ME. Our lives seem to parallel in regards to various relationships. I thank God for his Love it has showed me how to Love myself and at this point in my life i dont have to settle for anything less than excellent!! I had to look myself in the mirror several times untill i got comfortable with looking at myself(i kno sounds weird but true) I gave myself compliments,i forgave myself for watever i was punishing myself for and i had to learn to like mizzlanae! when we know better,we do better. i no longer allow people to mistreat me,i no longer allow Men to baze me. I woo myself. I learned to treat my self the way God treats me and it feels so Good. I go to the gym, i take myself on dates until God sends me Mr.Right

It takes work NubiaQ but i am well worth it, and so are you.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by HRhotness(f): 2:35am On May 02, 2008
i had a period of depression and i thank God for the kind of mum i have, she saw the signs early enough and forced me to seek help. I lost all my confidence and was jumpping from one relationship to another. the thing is some people can't even tell, they just don't know why everything has lost meaning. You never quite get over it, even now many years after I still find it hard to get out of bed in the mornings,
the trick is to be surrounded by love, people who understand enough to be there for u but not push you too much. I took time off and moved in with my mum and we'd spend long hours just talking about nothin in particular, then my cousin gave birth. her fiance dumped her when she was 5months pregnant without any explanation, so she moved in with us and when her baby came, it was like someone turned the lights on in my soul. i used to spend so much time with him and i remember how his laughter always made me smile. I still go for counselling once in a while but i think it was family that helped me through the difficult times. Being alone can only cause you to sink further into depression
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 8:49am On May 02, 2008
HR,
you have a good mum, i can't tlk about my depression to anyone,  well, its a battle i will win at some point in my life,  i don't know when but i will overcome. i am happy there are people out there just as african as i am that understand,  its real, well

Mizz,

Thanks for your kind words,i never went for counselling but am thinking of going at some point because my anxiety attacks are too much now, its hard for me to open up but at some point i have to. i don't want my future Kids to have a depressed mum i just want to heal. thnks again for postin,
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 2:49pm On May 02, 2008
HR-
Isn't it amazing how God turns someone elses tragedy into your Victory,and whats even Greater, is that in the end Everyone has Joy.

God promises to turn our sorrow into gladness.

Continue on in your Battle, We are overcomers!
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by HRhotness(f): 3:36pm On May 02, 2008
NubianQ:

HR,
you have a good mum, i can't tlk about my depression to anyone,  well, its a battle i will win at some point in my life,  i don't know when but i will overcome. i am happy there are people out there just as african as i am that understand,  its real, well

Mizz,

Thanks for your kind words,i never went for counselling but am thinking of going at some point because my anxiety attacks are too much now, its hard for me to open up but at some point i have to. i don't want my future Kids to have a depressed mum i just want to heal. thnks again for postin,

I know its hard but you have to talk, cry and scream,,, anything it takes but you have to let it out. depression feeds off suppressed emotions and loneliness,,, i never used to talk about my depression, i started out by talking about mindless things,,, and then one day it all came out, i cried and screamed and my mum held me, that was the beginning of my recovery. It doesnt matter what you're talking about, as long as u are talking, its the human connection that is important. i only go for counselling to assess where I'm at, my counselor encourages me to keep the connections,,,  i think thats why my nephew was a huge part of my healing because babies express emotion in the purest form, i guess i learnt from him. I know its difficult esp for africans because ther is so much ignorance but please don't give up, keep reaching out to people,, it helps i promise.

mizzlanae:

HR-
Isn't it amazing how God turns someone elses tragedy into your Victory,and whats even Greater, is that in the end Everyone has Joy.

God promises to turn our sorrow into gladness.

Continue on in your Battle, We are overcomers!

Thanks girl,
It was a trying period but we are all better people because of it.  grin
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by 4Him1(m): 3:43pm On May 02, 2008
Depression is not medically a disease. It has been so labelled by a generation overly eager to blame everything but themselves for their own inability to handle adverse situations.

Someone said that depression is clinically a chemical imbalance of the brain . . . i beg to disagree, alchohol and other chemical neuro-depressants do not produce the sad, melancholic behaviour that is symptomatic of those who hide under the umbrella of depression.

Infact anti-depressant drugs ARE a clinically chemical imbalance of the brain as you are trying to artificially induce a neurological response.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by HRhotness(f): 3:56pm On May 02, 2008
4 Him:

Depression is not medically a disease. It has been so labelled by a generation overly eager to blame everything but themselves for their own inability to handle adverse situations.

Someone said that depression is clinically a chemical imbalance of the brain . . . i beg to disagree, alchohol and other chemical neuro-depressants do not produce the sad, melancholic behaviour that is symptomatic of those who hide under the umbrella of depression.

Infact anti-depressant drugs ARE a clinically chemical imbalance of the brain as you are trying to artificially induce a neurological response.

Its sad you think so
Hope it never happens to you
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by 4Him1(m): 4:57pm On May 02, 2008
HR.hotness:

Its sad you think so
Hope it never happens to you

sorry sis, about time we started carrying the can for our own actions rather than hiding under medical jargon.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Tonim(f): 5:02pm On May 02, 2008
This is a very good thread. A lot of people are clinically depressed but are not aware of it because they have not been
diagnosed or are not even aware depression even exists.

Many people believe depression is a mere fluke one can get over easily by oneself, which isn't true.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 5:02pm On May 02, 2008
4him,

am sorry u feel that way but as usual we can only hope people can understand.well what can i say, if u fell its not medical then what is it? i really agree with HR, hope it never happens to you. well tell me then, are u saying people who are suicidal  or manic depressed cant handle situations, have u ever had ur mind really work against you, if have never been there  u would never understand. i guess u are perfect and forgive me for being in your words part of

a "generation overly eager to blame everything but themselves for their own inability to handle adverse situations"

its your opinion,

Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by 4Him1(m): 5:12pm On May 02, 2008
NubianQ:

4him,

am sorry u feel that way but as usual we can only hope people can understand.well what can i say, if u fell its not medical then what is it? i really agree with HR, hope it never happens to you. well tell me then, are u saying people who are suicidal or manic depressed can't handle situations, have u ever had your mind really work against you, if have never been there u would never understand. i guess u are perfect and forgive me for being in your words part of

a "generation overly eager to blame everything but themselves for their own inability to handle adverse situations"

its your opinion,

they are just cowards who are too afraid to face responsibility and would prefer to take the easy way out.
Our forefathers had way way more problems than we face today and we dont hear stories of them committing suicide. Didnt depression exist then?

There are situations when you are just down emotionally but you need to pick yourself up by the bootstraps, stop the pity party and get on with making something out of your life rather than hiding under prozac.

You tell me, how does your mind work against you? Your mind is YOU.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 5:26pm On May 02, 2008
4him,

Thanks, i guess u know it all. yes i suffer from depression, not proud of it, but i say it. i guess life has its ways of doing things. i am not going to force my opinions or how i feel on anyone. I know cuz i am, i worked with people with issues and believe me if u ever did, u will see it. am done tlkin about this, i guess we just have to say you are perfect and since all the people who kill themselves or have suicidal thoughts are cowards, then so be it,

there was a time Africa denied gay people and now they are trying to hide it,

AND YES, MY MIND IS ME, I have a good life and nothing to beat myself up about but i have my other side so maybe u are right but not everyone has to have a problem to be depressed, even the church admits there is depression,
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 8:57pm On May 02, 2008
Greetings All- Wow!!!4-HIM

Just as you cannot describe color to one that was born blind,So we will never be able to convey to OUTSIDERS(as i like to call them) how real depression is.

Depression has been around long before we were thought of my Brother-

There are numerous biblical references to depression, one of the human race's most common and distressing afflictions. It is likely that the first humans to experience depression were Adam and Eve, after they sinned against God.

King David — “I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long. …I groan because of the turmoil of my heart” (Psalm 38:6,cool

DAVID, King of Israel (having committed adultery was depressed until he confessed his sin)
"When I kept silent, my bones grew old Through my groaning all the day long. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; My vitality was turned into the drought of summer. Selah.
-Psalm 32:3-4 -
I won't flood the Blog with too much,but the point is, this has been a problem for quite some time.
Even your forefathers suffered,they just did it QUIETLY! as i stated in the thread.
Many years ago it was taboo to mention depression. It was seen as a sign of weakness(as you so ignorantly declared 4-HIM),It was perpetuated as a "crazy persons thing".There was no one to talk too about this disease,no one understood it(PEOPLE FEAR WHAT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND) and there were countless amounts of suicides,and overdoses,and even dissapeadisappearanceswas such ignorance to this disease,that anytime someone would go for help, they would be placed in an Insane Assylum.Asylumwere hundreds, even thousands of;who they declared, Mentally challenged. People were being institutionalized simply because they were Depressed.

Our forefathers and Mothers Had a lot to be Depressed about.
The men were the bread winners,the pay was about 1$ dollar a week in some times and the woman,men and children had to pick cotton in the Scolding sun all day sometime without food and water,only to go to there shacks at nite to eat scraps not fitting for a Dog. There would be times when there would be no work,the men would get angry and take it out on the family,sometimes even beating there wives. There was no such thing as DOMESTIC ABUSE!, She had to suffer in Silence!!!

I am saying to you that depression is not a moral weakness or mental laziness, as you often still hear. It is a disease of the brain. About this disease, as about everything, there is good news and bad news. Of course, you always want the bad news first.
The bad news is that this disease is common, One of every ten people will sometime have either a major or minor episode of this disorder. It is serious. Fifteen percent of people with this disorder die by their own hand.

The better news is that people are no longer afraid of this Monster,but are exposing Him and all his tactics, There is a lot of support today, people no longer have to suffer in SILENCE!

My Brother 4-HIM-

"Here in New York a few weeks ago a 12 year old girl was found Hanging in her bedroom closet. She had committed suicide. They also found a suicide note."

Let me find the number of her parents so you can tell them how much of a coward there daughter was and how she couldn't face her responsibilities, and se if you dont find yourself hanging from somewhere yourself!!!

DEPRESSION is real it is not a moral weekness nor a mental Sloth. It is a Disease that can be successfully treated.

I love you all
mizzlanae@yahoo.com
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 9:33pm On May 02, 2008
My dear tell 4HIM to get his act together, well i pray he doesnt have a kid or someone close to him that has it because he wont be understanding and might drive the person  to madness. well, it shows the kind of person he is,  if he feels people can't get their acts together then so be it. so if a victim of some unfortunate event comes to him, he is probably going to be negative and say get over it. i read an article about someone who escaped the horrors of dafur who had sunk into depression and eventually killed herself, so what would 4HIM say, would he say she was a coward for going through rape and feeling bad and dirty,

i must say am really tired of people thinking theY are super strong and the depressed are weak. 4him, for your information, alot of people suffer depression, even leaders go through it. the fact that they don't say it doesnt mean they don't feel it. if you feel people can move on then its all in your mind.

Mizzlanae, mentioned the suicide of a 12year old girl, so would u call her a coward? no one asks for pity. i do have my dark days and if i don't tell u , you will never know. so please next time u want to condemn people who feel down, i advise u try and think. it could be someone close to you.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by 4Him1(m): 9:58pm On May 02, 2008
i'm still waiting on those who claimed depression is a clinical illness.

To go quoting David's psalms as a sign of his depression does not cut it. There is a difference between being "troubled" and being "depressed". Even though David claimed several times to be troubled, what prozac did he use to beat his alleged depression?
This man was a warrior who later became king, a mighty man of valour and God's own best friend . . . no where in the bible are we told that he suffered from a mental disease.

The 12 yr old girl is simply a victim of a society that has taught her that the only way out of problems is to go the cowardly way of suicide.
Look around you and see celebs who commit suicide glamorised and made front page news (Mark Speight), celebs who end up in jail are the subject of huge media gossip, they drink and drive, lie, cheat, do drugs and yet we hold them up as our role models.
No wonder our kids are turning to drugs, suicide and hiding under the banner of depression . . . the media has slowly taught us to believe a lie, that to be irresponsible actually pays.

Wake up, stop moaning about your sorrow and do something about it!

If you're depressed because of a broken relationship - you're not the first!
Depressed about rejection - hello, others have been there done that.
Depressed about your job - some don't even have one.
Depressed about life - thank God you even have the internet to complain.

No matter the situation learn to spare some time to give thanks for the fact that you are blessed with air to breath, food to eat and a life that is worth living. Millions would kill to be where you are today, to have the things you have and to enjoy the liberties and freedoms you have obtained on a platter of gold. We live in a generation where complaining is now a thing of prestige . . .

Go to Darfur or the Congo . . . if depression were really a disease there shld be nowhere left there. I'd have expected them all to have long committed suicide.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 10:26pm On May 02, 2008
ok for 4him, u re right, are u happy now? I have had enough of going back and forth, i guess i better read ur blogs maybe i can understand ur perfection lipsrsealed
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by 4Him1(m): 10:33pm On May 02, 2008
No one is perfect (even though the bible enjoins christians to work towards it) but we shld not all be miserable midgets too.
If you look critically, everyone has at least one reason to be thankful for life. Negative experiences are there for a purpose . . . to teach us to be stronger, to be experiences we can learn from.
If you dont fall down you'll never learn how to rise from a fall.

If you spend your time howling after a fall you'll never learn how to rise either.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 11:32pm On May 02, 2008
Oh Father God I have been Longing to Hear from you,Who had any Idea you Blogged. God you really are concerned with every detail of our lives, I worsh, OH NO Thats not God Thats 4HIM.

LOL, My friend it is an honor to have you chat with us.
You display such riotousness, I mistook you for Christ.

When i started the thread My intention was to create a forum for people who have suffered from this invasion called Depression(A disease is an invasion on someones being). Who may not have had any other means of sharing there thoughts and getting away from people such as yourself who do not understand.

I'm not sure if its because of the people you have encountered to cause you to be so insensitive but, By no way did any of US express that we were down and out,or shiftless, without ambition and or even unsuccessful.
Nor at any time has anyone mentioned PROZAC.(can be very harmful by the way)
We have simply expressed our experience and if you give it some time I'm sure you will hear of the victories and the overcoming.Thats why i said "suffering in silence"
People that happen to suffer silently with depression are generally Highly intelligent people. We watch them on TV we support them in government, we eat and drink with them everyday my dear.You have no idea how they feel behind closed doors.

People with depression are generally excellent givers,Wonderful listeners,superb employees(when they can get out of bed) Lol, Overall phenomenal people.
Baby,Depression is sadness at its worst,Its misery unleashed! Not everyone who is depressed is suicidal. There are degrees of this thing.
I personally have had some horrendous times in my life,I have gone thru some things that the average man would have fallen apart mid-way in.God anointed me for those problems,thats why I'm still here and can give hope to those that haven't gotten there yet. God delivered me,Even out of the problems i caused myself(us humans do that from time to time).
Before i go,
I mentioned David;whom i love so much, because yes he was depressed at a particular time in his life,But you have no idea How because he went thru it before the Victory.The Journey is always longer than the destination.
Theres Victory in every race,even if your in last place. YOU MADE IT!!!

My friend, just because you have arrived doesn't mean you should leave your team behind and celebrate alone. Celebrate together.

I know your intelligent,Just be careful how you deal with your fellow man.
"Don't be so heavenly bound, that you are no earthly good"

Your sister in Christ
mizzlanae.
4 Him:

i'm still waiting on those who claimed depression is a clinical illness.

To go quoting David's psalms as a sign of his depression does not cut it. There is a difference between being "troubled" and being "depressed". Even though David claimed several times to be troubled, what prozac did he use to beat his alleged depression?
This man was a warrior who later became king, a mighty man of valour and God's own best friend . . . no where in the bible are we told that he suffered from a mental disease.

The 12 yr old girl is simply a victim of a society that has taught her that the only way out of problems is to go the cowardly way of suicide.
Look around you and see celebs who commit suicide glamorised and made front page news (Mark Speight), celebs who end up in jail are the subject of huge media gossip, they drink and drive, lie, cheat, do drugs and yet we hold them up as our role models.
No wonder our kids are turning to drugs, suicide and hiding under the banner of depression . . . the media has slowly taught us to believe a lie, that to be irresponsible actually pays.

Wake up, stop moaning about your sorrow and do something about it!

If you're depressed because of a broken relationship - you're not the first!
Depressed about rejection - hello, others have been there done that.
Depressed about your job - some don't even have one.
Depressed about life - thank God you even have the internet to complain.

No matter the situation learn to spare some time to give thanks for the fact that you are blessed with air to breath, food to eat and a life that is worth living. Millions would kill to be where you are today, to have the things you have and to enjoy the liberties and freedoms you have obtained on a platter of gold. We live in a generation where complaining is now a thing of prestige . . .

Go to Darfur or the Congo . . . if depression were really a disease there shld be nowhere left there. I'd have expected them all to have long committed suicide.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 11:39pm On May 02, 2008
RE:DAVID, I meant "We don't know how LONG david went thru his depression before the victory"
mizzlanae:

Oh Father God I have been Longing to Hear from you,Who had any Idea you Blogged. God you really are concerned with every detail of our lives, I worsh, OH NO Thats not God Thats 4HIM.

LOL, My friend it is an honor to have you chat with us.
You display such riotousness, I mistook you for Christ.

When i started the thread My intention was to create a forum for people who have suffered from this invasion called Depression(A disease is an invasion on someones being). Who may not have had any other means of sharing there thoughts and getting away from people such as yourself who do not understand.

I'm not sure if its because of the people you have encountered to cause you to be so insensitive but, By no way did any of US express that we were down and out,or shiftless, without ambition and or even unsuccessful.
Nor at any time has anyone mentioned PROZAC.(can be very harmful by the way)
We have simply expressed our experience and if you give it some time I'm sure you will hear of the victories and the overcoming.Thats why i said "suffering in silence"
People that happen to suffer silently with depression are generally Highly intelligent people. We watch them on TV we support them in government, we eat and drink with them everyday my dear.You have no idea how they feel behind closed doors.

People with depression are generally excellent givers,Wonderful listeners,superb employees(when they can get out of bed) Lol, Overall phenomenal people.
Baby,Depression is sadness at its worst,Its misery unleashed! Not everyone who is depressed is suicidal. There are degrees of this thing.
I personally have had some horrendous times in my life,I have gone through some things that the average man would have fallen apart mid-way in.God anointed me for those problems,thats why I'm still here and can give hope to those that haven't gotten there yet. God delivered me,Even out of the problems i caused myself(us humans do that from time to time).
Before i go,
I mentioned David;whom i love so much, because yes he was depressed at a particular time in his life,But you have no idea How because he went through it before the Victory.The Journey is always longer than the destination.
Theres Victory in every race,even if your in last place. YOU MADE IT!!!

My friend, just because you have arrived doesn't mean you should leave your team behind and celebrate alone. Celebrate together.

I know your intelligent,Just be careful how you deal with your fellow man.
"Don't be so heavenly bound, that you are no earthly good"

Your sister in Christ
mizzlanae.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bizzare: Boy Who Shed His Skin Like A Snake Every 41 Days (PHOTOS) / Ultrasound Consultant Services 2d/4d Machines (sales&training) / JUREMI-A.I.D WALK; People With Disabilities Get NGO Intervention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.