Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:41 AM

Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members (31040 Views)

Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard / Buhari Explains Why He Missed A Meeting On Boko Haram At The UN / Clampdown On Corrupt Nigerians Will Be Sustained –DSS Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Elueme: 9:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
Former Head of State and Presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Major General Muhammadu Buhari has faulted the federal government’s clampdown on Boko Haram Islamic insurgents.
He accused the government of killing and destroying their houses while the Niger Delta militants were given special treatment by the government.

Buhari who spoke on Sunday on a Liberty Radio programme, Guest of the Week monitored in Kaduna also admitted that the road to the registration of the All Progressive Congress (APC) was rough, pointing out that the promoters of the party were well prepared for any hitch that may arise.

Buhari who first spoke in Hausa before the English version accused politicians from the Niger Delta region of starting the current in security in the country by recruiting and arming youths of the region in their desperate attempt to retain power as governors.

The former Nigerian leader said that unlike the special treatment given to the Niger Delta militants by the federal government, the Boko Haram members were being killed and their houses demolished by government.

While accusing President Jonathan of failing from the beginning to address the security situation in the country, Buhari said he has never been in support of the state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa state.

According to Buhari “what is responsible for the security situation in the country is caused by the activities of Niger Delta militants. Every Nigerian that is familiar with what is happening knows this. The Niger Delta militants started it all.
“What happened is that the governors of the Niger Delta region at that time wanted to win their elections. So they recruited the youths and gave them guns and bullets and used them against their opponents to win elections by force.
“After the elections were over, they asked the boys to return the guns; the boys refused to return the guns. Because of that, the allowance that was being given to the youths by the governors during that time was stopped.

“The youths resorted to kidnapping oil workers and were collecting dollars as ransom. Now a boy of 18 to 20 years was getting about 500 dollars in a week, why will he go to school and spend 20 years to study and then come back and get employed by government to be paid N100,000 a month, that is if he is lucky to get employment.
“So kidnapping becomes very rampant in the South -South and the South -East. They kidnapped people and were collecting money.

“How did Boko Haram start? We know that their leader, Mohammed Yusuf started his militant and the police couldn’t control them and the army was invited. He was arrested by soldiers and handed over to the police.
“The appropriate thing to do, according to the law, was for the police to carry out investigations and charge him to court for prosecution, but they killed him, his in-law was killed, they went and demolished their houses.

“Because of that, his supporters resorted to what they are doing today. You see in the case of the Niger Delta militants, the late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua sent an aeroplane to bring them, he sat down with them and discussed with them, they were cajoled, and they were given money and granted amnesty.

“They were trained in some skills and were given employment, but the ones in the north were being killed and their houses were being demolished. They are different issues, what brought this? It is injustice”.
While fielding questions in English in the same programme, Buhari said that the promoters of the All Progressive Congress (APC) were aware of the challenges ahead of them in an effort to get the party registered, saying “the road to merger is quite rough.

“The ruling party, with its enormous resources and its capacity for coercion has seen it as a threat and they have said it. Personally, I came to realise since 2007 that Nigerians believe that the only way to stabilise the system of multi-party democracy is for the opposition parties that have representatives right from Councillors to the National Assembly come together to deliver their constituencies democratically. This is the only way you can counter PDP’s enormous physical and material influence in the country”

He expressed optimism that the All Progressive Congress will be registered saying “by nature, I am an optimist. If I were not an optimist, I will not attempt to contest the presidency three times and end up in the Supreme Court three times. I believe we are going to be registered.

“There is a law guiding party registration which states that you must have your headquarters in the nation’s capital that can be identified by INEC and you must have a convention. All the three parties involved have held their conventions and have agreed to forsake our existing parties and go for APC.

“At the national level, we must have those who will run the party. As soon as we meet these criteria and INEC acknowledge that, 30 days after the acknowledgement, we are APC whether INEC write us and give us the registration or not”.

Speaking on the controversy surrounding the election of the Nigeria Governors Forum, Buhari said since the forum was not a legal body, he saw no reason for the controversy saying “the confusion is unfortunate.
“To me, the Governors forum is not constitutional and it is not a party affair because they are supposed to come from all the parties. There is no constitutional law as far as I can see. So, why all these row about it.

“I watched the clip of the election which seems to have been conducted in a free and fair way. But then, Jang came and said he won the election when we saw visibly on the screen how they conducted the election.
“The man who presided over the election declared the result there and then. I was surprised how Jang emerged and said he was the one that won the election and proceeded to open his own secretariat.

“So, if 36 of them can not conduct an election, Nigerians should begin to appreciate what we are in for when they are supposed to be conducting an election for over 140 million people by 2015”.

He however said that he was prepared to support anybody who emerge Presidential candidate of the All Progressive Congress (APC), saying “If APC fail to give me the ticket, I will remain in partisan politics and in the party. Anyone the party pick as its candidate, I will support him because I will remain in the APC”.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news-update/buhari-faults-clampdown-on-boko-haram-members/

1 Like

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2013
I am sure Tinubu is re-thinking his decision to align with this man, if Buhari emerges as APC candidate, then Tinubu has just voluntarily prepared his table before the council of the scoundrels.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Elueme: 9:43pm On Jun 02, 2013
All I will do for now is to shake my head at the clownish way this man reason.. Why Buhari is irredeemably doomed never to be nigeria's president. This man is frickingly tribalistic and bigoted why he will be loved by the millions of mofoons who reason like him while his national figure diminishes by the day. Trying to bend history is not only wicked but criminal and you can't beat a child and expects him not to cry; these where the scenarios with the Niger delta agitation. Why the militants claimed to fight for neglect, environmental degradation and destruction of source of livelihood by Buhari and his northern Fulani brothers, northern Islamic terrorists had no reasonable course. While the Niger delta militants protected and respected the sanctity of the human life and were in the habit of informing the general public of their set target and gave clue of when, the northern Islamist terrorist take utmost pleasure in destroying innocent and defenseless lives etc
Talk of unjust killings of agitators, arm was the last resort employed by the delta militants. All peaceful entreaties were rebuffed by the Nigerian states and many of their activists were executed among whom are the Ogoni 9 including saro wiwa even when they didn't kill a soul , talk less of Muhammed Yusuf, whose unprovoked carnage in Maiduguiri sent thousands to early grave.
Buhari is nothing by a divisionist. He is playing into the minds of millions of illiterate and bigoted northern Nigerian citizens many of whom share in the same sentiments while hoping that Tinubu and co will deliver a substantial vote for him in the south.
This bigoted tendencies is why Buhari is not and can never be Nigerian president.

241 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by brownlord: 9:44pm On Jun 02, 2013
This old man has gone crazy

13 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Garrithe1st: 9:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
Stale News....

undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
There's not even a single part of Buhari's interview that can be characterized as a lie.

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Elueme: 9:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
brownlord: This old man has gone crazy
On a serious note, this man needs some head checks. I think his perpetual failure at the polls has affected his psyche. No Nigerian politician, no matter how bigoted and juvinistic will utter this nonsense undulutted except the likes of Buhari and Ango Abdullahi.

21 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by tomakint: 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2013
Definitely Buhari is perenially unelectable as far as Nigeria's politics is concerned, like I use to say, if you want to finish Buhari, just hand him the mic and the rest is settled! There is indeed a strong nexus between 'something' and Buhari, if 'something' is not wrong with Buhari, then Buhari must be wrong with 'something'! Strangely, this is the same tribalist, bigot, fundamentalist and sadist some southern Nigerians in the house called their MESSIAH shocked shocked shocked what a big shame and blockheadedness undecided

63 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by cjrane: 9:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
Hehehe....
His Boko terror boys he was hoping to use in 2015 to cause mayhem and drown the "dogs" and "baboon".
Dementia is catching up with the old man. grin grin grin grin

21 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by tomakint: 9:56pm On Jun 02, 2013
Prof Corruption: There's not even a single part of Buhari's interview that can be characterized as a lie.
cry cry cry cry ... for a lost and confused soul!

45 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jun 02, 2013
tomakint:
cry cry cry cry ... for a lost and confused soul!

You don't have to attack me. Just point out lies told by Buhari in that interview.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by tomakint: 10:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
Prof Corruption:

You don't have to attack me. Just point out lies told by Buhari in that interview.
I don't deal in lies let me counter Buhari's lies and your confusion with the facts here;

Fact 1: No special treatment was given to ND militants, they deserved whatever was given them for the injustice 'Northerners and their cohorts' had rendered their homelands all these years!

Fact 2: Boko Haram group deserves the judgment meted out to them for failing to embrace dialogue the FG had extended to them initially!

Fact 3: Their 'camps' were destroyed not their houses, such disgruntled elements don't deserve to be among us!

Fact 4: If those Boko bastaards had embraced dialogue, they would have been integrated into one of the FG developmental schemes, because Jonathan was that magnanimous, but they failed to honour the gesture!

Fact 5: It is a known fact that the current spate of insecurities in the country started after the threatening words of the bigot, Mallam Adamu Ciroma, that they will make the country ungovernable for Jonathan and not the ND militants who are fighting for a just cause!

Don't be confused, stay on track for once! undecided

147 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Elueme: 10:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Guy, one need not point them out when they are glaring before your face. Continue living in self denial.

20 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by awodman: 10:18pm On Jun 02, 2013
by Reno Omokri
When the military was accused (rather prematurely) of
destroying the town of Baga in Borno State, the
opposition in Nigeria went into over drive. They gave
all kinds of figures of houses that were destroyed and
blamed every destruction on the Nigerian military
even though it was an established fact that the
militant sect, Jama-’a Ahl al-sunnah li-da’wa wa al-
jiha-d, commonly referred to as Boko Haram, were the
ones that used rocket propelled grenades which have
incendiary capacity and could destroy buildings.

Of all the voices that condemned the government and
the military, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd)’s
voice stood out. Not only did he condemn the Nigerian
military forces that took part in the defence of Baga
along with troops from neighbouring nations, Major
General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) called for the
President to resign because of the incident saying

“Jonathan should vacate and give way to competent
hand to govern the country”.

Lamenting the fate that befell Baga, Major General
Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) had said “In Bama and Baga
towns, military personnel were reported to have been
engaged in extortion and sometimes raping of women.
And because a soldier was killed in Baga the whole
town was sacked by military. This is not the best way
military should have acted when they were sent to
restore law and order in a town. How can a
responsible government allow its people to be killed in
this way?”

Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) further
said “Government cannot kill all the Boko Haram
members. Government should rather arrest and
prosecute the Boko Haram members. They should
only be killed when they said clearly they wage war
against their country like what happened during the
civil war. And even during civil war we that fought in
the war were given a copy of code of conduct book
which guided us against killing innocent people”.

Now, from his reactions to the attack by Jama-’a Ahl
al-sunnah li-da’wa wa al-jiha-d, commonly referred to
as Boko Haram on Baga and the counter attack by
military forces to dispel them from Baga, it is clear that
Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) considered
the military action an overreaction.

But Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) has
again given another interview to Daily Trust, published
on the 2nd of June, 2013 and in this interview Major
General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) complained about
the military reaction to the attack by terrorists in
Daura, and the cultist attacks by Ombatse in
Nassarawa last May. Buhari was particularly disturbed
because he is from Daura and Nasarrawa is governed
by his party, the Congress for Progressive Change
(CPC).

This time around Major General Muhammadu Buhari
(rtd) is not happy with the reaction of the security
forces complaining that their reaction was too soft and
that it should have been harder. He said “Well, it
affected me personally because the way I see it as a
former military man, the attack was very efficiently
planned and executed. It was the phase one of the
agenda to destroy Nigeria. They attacked the security;
the police stations in the town were destroyed, and I
suspected they must have used incendiary bombs
because you cannot repair the police stations. You
have to demolish, bulldoze them and rebuild them.
They stationed what in the military we call cut off
group; they stationed their men on all roads leading to
Daura. People approaching Daura were attacked and
the soldiers that were coming from Katsina town to
give a helping hand to the police were ambushed and
shot. I visited the soldiers that survived the ambush at
the Federal Medical Centre, Katsina”.

Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) further said
“The SSS boss or whoever that said he has left
everything to God has no right to do
that. Constitutionally, Nigerians can practice any
religion they want or they can be atheists or anything
they want to be, that is constitutional. But nobody
should hurt a citizen of Nigeria and then get away with
it”.

Finally, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) also
said “those that killed the 56 security men must be
hunted and prosecuted no matter how long it will take
because this is the bottom line about law and order
and security in the country. They can’t be forgiven;
they can’t override the constitution; Nigerians are
being hurt and killed in their duties and those that
killed them must be brought before the law”.
My question to Major General Muhammadu Buhari
(rtd) is that is it just now that he has become aware
that the terrorists “must have used incendiary bombs”
to burn down buildings and police stations? When the
military was telling him that it was the terrorists that
used the same incendiary bombs to burn houses in
Baga and Bama why did Major General Muhammadu
Buhari (rtd) not believe them until they attacked his
own home town?

Has it not occurred to the highly respected former
military Head of State that he is giving mixed
messages to the nation’s military and security officials
and showing double standards to Nigerians?
If we keep criticizing our own forces and falsely accuse
them of genocide are we not going to make them
hesitate when operating against the terrorists who do
not have to hesitate when carrying out their nefarious
activities? When facing a bullet, a bomb or a rocket
propelled grenade soldiers have split second to decide
on what to do and if they are afraid of false
accusations they will end up making the wrong
choices and getting killed instead of taking down the
enemy.

Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) should realize
that Nigeria is at war with terrorists and in a war
situation you need a steady hand. The sort of steady
hand and leadership provided by President Goodluck
Ebele Jonathan. You need somebody who will speak
up in defence of our soldiers and security forces not
somebody who will criticize them when they engage
the enemy forcefully and then turn around and also
criticize them when they temper justice with mercy
because of the criticism they received for doing their
jobs.

I remember that the opposition criticized the President
when he said in Maiduguri that “These soldiers leave
their families and sleep in the bush, and on the streets
just so that you and I could have some sleep; and I
would not want to hear that one of them is killed. I
have given directive to that effect. We have warned
the soldiers to conduct themselves, not to kill innocent
civilians; but I will not celebrate the death of one
soldier, and I repeat, I will not celebrate the death of
one soldier.”

That is the way a Commander-in-Chief talks. His
words must inspire and build morale amongst the
military. A Commander-in-Chief stands up for the boys
who are sacrificing their lives. He does not give mixed
messages. He does not approbate and reprobate. He
does not double speak. He gives a clear signal. He
does not change his words depending on where the
military operates. He says the same thing whether
they operate in Kaura Namoda or in Modakeke. You
should be able to count on a leader to have universal
ethics and not situational ethics.

Perhaps Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd)
should remember this the next time he gives an
interview. He should remember that he was once a
soldier fighting against secessionists and that the
international community were regaled with stories of
alleged atrocities committed by Nigerian soldiers
during the civil war. These stories necessitated a visit
to the war front by the then British Prime Minister, Mr.
Harold Wilson, in 1969. I am sure that Major General
Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) remembers very well that
General Yakubu Gowon, the then Commander-in-
Chief, never prevaricated in the defence of the troops
he led as Commander-in-Chief. At every stage of the
war, he had their back, he protected their interests
and made sure that their morale was up. They never
worried about whether he would change his stance
depending of the place where they operated.

For one who was once a military Head of State and
Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, I must say
that it must be very disappointing for Nigeria’s military
to have been savagely criticized by Major General
Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) even before an investigation
had been carried out to ascertain who was behind the
Baga incidence. But Nigeria’s military can find comfort
in the fact that President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
would always have their best interests at heart!

- This Best Outside Opinion was written by Reno
Omokri, Special Assistant to the President on New
Media.

50 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 02, 2013
*sigh*

There are three key differences here that Buhari doesn't seem to realise (or is unwilling to acknowledge):

1. The Niger Delta militants (admit it or not) had legitimate grievances and aspirations with regard to the (non-)utilization of the oil wealth (grievances which I share) while Boko Haram is a full-blown insurgency seeking to Islamise their region if not the whole country (aspirations which are ridiculous, to put it mildly).

2. The acts of violence in the ND were mostly limited to kidnappings and abductions, after which the victims were released. Boko Haram, however, have gone out on a deliberate killing spree, bombing, shooting and raiding banks, police stations, drinking spots, the UN building, Mogadishu barracks etc. Heck, they even tried to hoist their own flag!!!

3. The Niger Delta boys accepted amnesty (well at least most of them did) but BH has obviously foreclosed that possibility, despite the obvious willingness of the FG to grant it to them. So what gives?

I'm not denying that the security forces have been quite heavy-handed in their approach to the BH issue (even from the time of Yusuf Mohammed) but we CANNOT keep comparing the Niger Delta militants (apples) with Boko Haram (grapes). They're as different as night and day.

43 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 02, 2013
HNosegbe: *sigh*

There are three key differences here that Buhari doesn't seem to realise (or is unwilling to acknowledge):

1. The Niger Delta militants (admit it or not) had legitimate grievances and aspirations with regard to the (non-)utilization of the oil wealth (grievances which I share) while Boko Haram is a full-blown insurgency seeking to Islamise their region if not the whole country (aspirations which are ridiculous, to put it mildly).

2. The acts of violence in the ND were mostly limited to kidnappings and abductions, after which the victims were released. Boko Haram, however, have gone out on a deliberate killing spree, bombing, shooting and raiding banks, police stations, drinking spots, the UN building, Mogadishu barracks etc. Heck, they even tried to hoist their own flag!!!

3. The Niger Delta boys accepted amnesty (well at least most of them did) but BH has obviously foreclosed that possibility, despite the obvious willingness of the FG to grant it to them. So what gives?

I'm not denying that the security forces have been quite heavy-handed in their approach to the BH issue (even from the time of Yusuf Mohammed) but we CANNOT keep comparing the Niger Delta militants (apples) with Boko Haram (grapes). They're as different as night and day.

True. You can accuse Buhari of "convenient omission" but there was nothing in the interview per say that could be called a lie.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
Please someone should tell GEJ to stop using voodoo on Buhari. See, how the man is mis-firing. It will not be well with anyone behind Buhari's confusion.

24 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 11:13pm On Jun 02, 2013
Click LIKE if u r for BUHARI HARAM!

21 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jun 02, 2013

You can tell this crap to the illiterates on NL.To me,there is only one definition for terrorrism and both ND militants and Boko Haram have exhibited such traits.Hiding under bullshiit to justify one terror against another is hypocrisy !

Any group that instigates wide civil disturbance/disobedience,races arms against the state,conduct violence of any kind directed at non-combatant targets to achieve a political objective or coerce the government into doing its biddings is a terrorist organization.

17 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 02, 2013
~Bluetooth:

You can tell this crap to the illiterates on NL. To me, there is only one definition for terrorrism and both ND militants and Boko Haram have exhibited such traits.Hiding under bullshiit to justify one terror against another is hypocrisy !

Any group that instigates wide civil disturbance/disobedience,races arms against the state,conduct violence of any kind directed at non-combatant targets to achieve a political objective or coerce the government into doing its biddings is a terrorist organization.

Of course you're free to have your opinion. It's a democracy, ain't it?

22 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jun 02, 2013
HNosegbe:

Of course you're free to have your opinion. It's a democracy, ain't it?

I expected you to know what terrorism is ,so don't mislead people here simply because you want to appear smart !

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by mensdept: 11:36pm On Jun 02, 2013

Agree 100%. Funny enough the Northern governors have supported the strike against Boko Haram, so it is what it is.
I only wished that the Niger Delta folks would also hold their own governors who (Ibori, Alames-, Attah, Odili, etc) have looted tens of millions of dollars and failed them as well, accountable.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jun 02, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I expected you to know what terrorism is ,so don't mislead people here simply because you want to appear smart !

Ok... Let's assume I don't. Define terrorism.

~Bluetooth:

And while you're at it, provide links to instances where the ND militants perpetrated what you highlighted above.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 02, 2013
Terrorism is a general term used to describe violence or other harmful acts carried out for achieving political ends. Most definitions of terrorism include only those acts which are intended to create fear or "terror," are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to an attack by a "madman"wink, and deliberately target "non-combatants." According to the United States Federal Criminal Code, Chapter 113B of Part I of Title 18, terrorism is defined as

“activities that involve violent ... or life-threatening acts ... that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State and ... appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping;
and ... (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States ... [or] ... (C) occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17695.htm

This is the definition of terrorism as defined by the US federal criminal code.There is no difference between the terror exhibited by Boko haram and that of ND militants.Terror is terror no matter who the culprits are !

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Garrithe1st: 11:43pm On Jun 02, 2013
HNosegbe: we CANNOT keep comparing the Niger Delta militants (apples) with Boko Haram (grapes). They're as different as night and day.

We are actually comparing a big apple to a smaller one. ND Militants(MEND, NDPVF etc) and BH are both terrorist groups, though BH is worse..

1 Like

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Zet72(m): 11:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
If I am GEJ I would hav sent secret agent to terminate that old fool

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
~Bluetooth:

This is the definition of terrorism as defined by the US federal criminal code.There is no difference between the terror exhibited by Boko haram and that of ND militants.Terror is terror no matter who the culprits are !

If only it were that simplistic.

Two things hold true:

1. The Niger Delta had previously tried peaceful means (through the likes of Ken Saro-Wiwa) to get their LEGITIMATE grievances heard and addressed. We all know how that ended.

2. The Niger Delta is Nigeria's honeypot, the goose that lays the golden egg. The economic and political consequences of a long-drawn out war would have been deleterious for the entire country.

So you see, not only was the amnesty a means of compensating the ND for decades of neglect and oil spillage (the root causes of which, admittedly, have not been well-addressed), it was also the smart thing to do in the interest of the financial viability of an oil-dependent country.

That is, by and large, more than I can say for those 72 virgin-seeking Kanuri muffuguhs.

My point: they're not the same.

18 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 02, 2013
Garri the 1st:

We are actually comparing a big apple to a smaller one. ND Militants(MEND, NDPVF etc) and BH are both terrorist groups, though BH is worse..

I get your point. The key thing here, however, is that "terrorism" (borne out of whatever grievance whatsoever) should NOT lead to the taking of innocent lives. That is unacceptable.

Can anyone justify the incessant spate of bombings conducted by Boko Haram against poor, defenceless Nigerians?
Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by mensdept: 11:54pm On Jun 02, 2013
~Bluetooth:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17695.htm

Since 1966, the Nigerian government, according to your classification, has virtually been a terrorist group against its own citizens

13 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 12:04am On Jun 03, 2013
HNosegbe:

If only it were that simplistic.

Two things hold true:

1. The Niger Delta had previously tried peaceful means (through the likes of Ken Saro-Wiwa) to get their LEGITIMATE grievances heard and addressed. We all know how that ended.

2. The Niger Delta is Nigeria's honeypot, the goose that lays the golden egg. The economic and political consequences of a long-drawn out war would have been deleterious for the entire country.

So you see, not only was the amnesty a means of compensating the ND for decades of neglect and oil spillage (the root causes of which, admittedly, have not been well-addressed), it was also the smart thing to do in the interest of the financial viability of an oil-dependent country.

That is, by and large, more than I can say for those 72 virgin-seeking Kanuri muffuguhs.

My point: they're not the same.

Did ND militants kidnap foreigners and Nigerians for ransome ?

Did they almost turn Port harcourt to a war zone ?

Did they coerce the government till they were given amnesty ?

Did they finally get what they want to the detriment of the FG ?

Did they ever kill security personnel ?

Did they ever engage in destruction of oil pipelines ?

Are private citizens permitted to bear prohibited firearms all because they are fighting for their rights ?

Stop tripping buddy. . .All these crimes above were committed by ND militants and are also committed by Boko haram.stop shying away from the definition I supplied to you;learn from it cuz no other place will you get a more comprehensive definiton than from the US government.Terror is terror no matter the motivating factor so far it's all about achieving a political objective.

The ND militants wanted attention to their region and they felt kidnapping expatriates,killing security personnel,engaging in oil bunkering and pipeline vandalization will get them what they want from the government likeise the boko harams felt attacking southerners will get them what they want.will you also have this kind of opinion if the militants had conducted violence against the northerner then ?

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Nobody: 12:08am On Jun 03, 2013
Ok, Bluetooth, you have your opinion, and I have mine. grin

But note that I make no attempt to say that the MANNER in which MEND went about their "business" was the right one; only to point out that they did have legitimate grounds for complaint. Which, again, is more than I can say for Boko Haram.

I think I'm done with this topic. grin

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Faults Clampdown On Boko-Haram Members by Ola17: 12:45am On Jun 03, 2013
SMH
Just when you think you have heard the worst from Buhari, he throws in another shocker. I can't seem to understand why he keeps telling us that ND militants received "special" treatment and how a plane was sent to carry them to Abuja.
For crying out loud sir the BH demons were given the same opportunity but what did we get, they asked the president to convert to Islam and then later said they are the ones to grant Nigeria amnesty; Is that not madness?
Should the government continue to fold its arms and watch as its citizens are brutally and violently killed as they did for so long? I can't believe this is the type of person that wants to come back as a civilian president; God forbid!
Buhari, I think you are very wicked and extremely bigoted. Too bad that this is the type of character that we in the SW are aligning with politically.

36 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ambode throwing T-shirts Along Lateef Jankande Road from his car(pics) / Should President Buhari Bring Back These Goodluck Jonathan's Folk's? / Photos Of Crowd Waiting For PDP Presidential Candidate In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.