Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,330 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife (24810 Views)

Pastor Hacks Banker Wife To Death In Imo [graphic Photo] / 20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son / Calabar Boy Caught And Burnt To Death For Stealing (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by bcomputer101: 6:36am On Jun 05, 2013
An Abia State High Court has sentenced a banker, Mr. Theophilus Ajakaiye, to death by hanging for killing his wife, Theodora.

The convict allegedly murdered his wife on October 12, 2009 at Azumini Ndoki in the Ukwa Judicial Division of Abia.

The charge read, “The accused person is charged with one-count of murder contrary to Section 319 (1) of the Criminal Code Vol. 11, Cap. 30 Laws of Eastern Nigeria, 1963, applicable in Abia State.”

Until her death, Theodora was an employee of Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.

The legal battle between the deceased’s family and the accused began soon after the alleged killing until the judgment recently.

The Presiding Judge, Justice T.U. Uzokwe, said in his judgment that having heard from the accused person, learned counsel for the accused and the prosecuting counsel, the offence carried a mandatory sentence which is death.

He said the court had no power to reduce the sentence and that being the case, he had no option but to sentence the accused.

The judge said, “Though the accused was not seen killing the deceased, I find that the accumulated circumstantial facts found proved that the accused indeed murdered his wife, Theodora Ajakaiye.

“Suffice it to say that I find the accused guilty as charged and I convict him accordingly.”

The sentence read, “Theophilus Ajakaiye – The sentence of this court upon you is that you be hanged by the neck until you be dead and may the merciful Lord have mercy on your soul.”

In the allocutus, counsel for the accused pleaded for mercy on behalf of his client.

He said, “I thank the court for this well considered judgment. The accused has no criminal record. We plead for mercy. There are two children to the marriage and they have already lost their mother.”

It was learnt that the convict had yet to appeal against the judgment.

http://www.punchng.com/metro/court-sentences-banker-to-death-for-killing-wife/

1 Like

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Pdizzle(m): 7:37am On Jun 05, 2013
why wil someone kill his wife
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by bcomputer101: 8:13am On Jun 05, 2013
Pdizzle: why wil someone kill his wife

Na devil cause am.

SIGNS OF END TIME.
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by kross01(m): 9:05am On Jun 05, 2013
The judge said, "Though the accused was not seen
killing the deceased, I find that the accumulated
circumstantial facts found proved that the accused
indeed murdered his wife, Theodora Ajakaiye.

Thought judgements were based on proven facts & not 'accumulated circumstantial facts'. Hope the man is truly guilty as judged.

4 Likes

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by dridowu: 9:58am On Jun 05, 2013
Now to Court of Appeal

2 Likes

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by omoodeogere(m): 9:59am On Jun 05, 2013
very sad
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by zcoreman(m): 10:00am On Jun 05, 2013
imagine the influence on their children
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by CoolKizzy(m): 10:01am On Jun 05, 2013
kross_01: The judge said, "Though the accused was not seen

Thought judgements were based on proven facts & not 'accumulated circumstantial facts'. Hope the man is truly guilty as judged.

and I ask again, who reads punch this days? bigoted fellows. see as they paint am.

3 Likes

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by k4kenny(f): 10:01am On Jun 05, 2013
Circumstantial evidence isn't enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person committed murder. However if it proves beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it, then I guess he could be charged. Hope there are no kids involved. It wud be too bad.
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Ijiego: 10:04am On Jun 05, 2013
Good!
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 05, 2013
Chai, what a murderous sentence

1 Like

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by ndidibabe(f): 10:06am On Jun 05, 2013
I hope so too.
kross_01: The judge said, "Though the accused was not seen

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by subzidi: 10:07am On Jun 05, 2013
Kids or no kids, he that KILLS by the sword must die by the sword... whatever happened to divorce or ironing issues out as grown adults mtchewwwwwww undecided

bcomputer101:

http://www.punchng.com/metro/court-sentences-banker-to-death-for-killing-wife/

3 Likes

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 05, 2013
Pdizzle: why wil someone kill his wife
are you really asking that question?are u a visitor in Nigeria?where the men feel their wives are their properties.cases of husband mudering their wives is a dime a dozen.this is just one of the few cases that get taken to court.the other lady that died in my area was beaten to death by her husband cos she had the 'effrontery' to take 'his' money to buy baby food for 'their' three month old baby.
If this man is truely guilty,I suggest they not only hang him but burn his corpse as well and flush it down a pit toilet swarming with maggots and houseflies. NONSENSE.

11 Likes

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 05, 2013
zcoreman: imagine the influence on their children

Did you go to school

Yes 2 children. Is this passage too long for one to read through? Nigerian youth.
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 05, 2013
lorretta u: are you really asking that question?are u a visitor in Nigeria?where the men feel their wives are their properties.cases of husband mudering their wives is a dime a dozen.this is just one of the few cases that get taken to court.the other lady that died in my area was beaten to death by her husband cos she had the 'effrontery' to take 'his' money to buy baby food for 'their' three month old baby.
If this man is truely guilty,I suggest they not only hang him but burn his corpse as well and flush it down a pit toilet swarming with maggots and houseflies. NONSENSE.

GOOD WIFE
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by DukeNija(m): 10:12am On Jun 05, 2013
Thumbs up to the Nigerian Judicial system.
I wish their Southern African counterparts can see this.
No one, I mean no one, has the right to end another persons Life.
Rendering your young children motherless in this evil world is just plain evil.

The saddest part is that this evil man will have a far better chance of making Heaven and seeing Jesus than that poor Woman. sad

1 Like

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 05, 2013
k4kenny: Circumstantial evidence isn't enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person committed murder. However if it proves beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it, then I guess he could be charged. Hope there are no kids involved. It wud be too bad.

You sounded so knowledgeable while responding to this post......but almost immediately you lost it..... angry angry angry angrythats why people fail exams....in the post the write up stated there were kids involved and the counsel is trying to use that to ask for mercy.............. tongue tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 05, 2013
Haba!
This is worrisome.
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 05, 2013
Duke_Nija: I wish their Southern African counterparts can see this.

Funny, Nairalanders feel they have better judiciary system sad

1 Like

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 05, 2013
okpara ugo:

Did you go to school

Yes 2 children. Is this passage too long for one to read through? Nigerian youth.

I believe that question should be directed at you.

Your comment betrays your ability to comprehend.

3 Likes

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 05, 2013
I don't believe that circumstancial evidence should be enough to merit a man the death penalty.
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by akinshivic(m): 10:29am On Jun 05, 2013
Oscar Pistorius !
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by hotwax: 10:31am On Jun 05, 2013
What about boko-harams killing people massively?

When are we gonna be sentencing them to death ?

1 Like

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by condralbede(m): 10:37am On Jun 05, 2013
omoodeogere: very sad
you know any of them?
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Nuzo1(m): 10:41am On Jun 05, 2013
Death sentence to a man due to circumstantial evidence may be right legally. Morally, its so wrong!
That's why they are trained to use their discreation.

He should have been given life imprisonment of which evidences proving him "innocent" could still suffix later on in life.

Well, judges are humans and are bound to deliver judgement based on sentiment sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by jennykoko(f): 10:44am On Jun 05, 2013
hotwax: What about boko-harams killing people massively?

When are we gonna be sentencing them to death ?
. If nigeria judiciary could take a quick action on someone that just killed one person , how about the boko harams they arrested that have killed thousands, they should stop deceiving us .
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by captainnigeria(m): 10:46am On Jun 05, 2013
okpara ugo:

Did you go to school

guy u dull gan sha.the person u criticise is correct
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by Akshow: 10:50am On Jun 05, 2013
lorretta u: are you really asking that question?are u a visitor in Nigeria?where the men feel their wives are their properties.cases of husband mudering their wives is a dime a dozen.this is just one of the few cases that get taken to court.the other lady that died in my area was beaten to death by her husband cos she had the 'effrontery' to take 'his' money to buy baby food for 'their' three month old baby.
so na for only nigeria men de kill their wife abi? Abi u never ever hear say woman kill her husband. this is not a gender issue cos it goes on both ways though one may be higher than the other. condemn the act not the sex of the offender cos women too kill their husband. and if u think its only a nigerian thing, tune to channel 171 investigation discovery on dstv and see as white women murder their husbands for the flimsiest of all reasons.

2 Likes

Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by coogar: 10:51am On Jun 05, 2013
shame on the nigerian judiciary!
there was no single witness to this killing and there's no forensic evidence. all they had against him was a bunch of circumstantial evidences and that cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt in an alleged murder case.

he should have been given a life sentence on the off-chance that someone might turn up later to give a witness account. what if they hang him tomorrow and it turns out someone else actually killed his wife? i thought the legal system would rather let a criminal walk free than kill an innocent man.

this judge should be arrested - he's brought untold shame to my country. this is tribalism at best. an igbo judge sanctioning the death of a yoruba man without a substantial evidence. i hope this ruling is appealed! how can you condemn a man to death without evidence but hearsays and cheap gossips? what a shame!!!!
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by gabinogem(m): 10:51am On Jun 05, 2013
What happens 2 d kids, will d govt take full responsibility 4 them?!
Re: Banker Sentenced To Death For Killing Wife by zcoreman(m): 10:54am On Jun 05, 2013
okpara ugo:

Did you go to school

had this article been written in an interesting way, i'd have read the whole of it. i felt i got the main idea of the post and reading its forwards and behinds weren't quite appealing to me. but i did read full article later and when i saw that OP mentions he has 2 children, i edited my comment.

Nigerian youth? What tells you I'm Nigerian? The fact that I made a mistake? I'm not Nigerian and am far away from Nigeria. Stop being a racist, generalizing dick.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Katsina Man Raped His Brother's Wife / Man That Went To Kidnap Olori Faduyile Killed - Picture / NDLEA Intercepts Over N2bn Worth Of Illicit Drugs At Lagos Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.