Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) - Phones (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) (136180 Views)

How To Root Tecno Phantom A+(f7) M3,l3,d5 And Q1 Easily. Bonaventure73 / Samsung-Galaxy Tab2 VS Tecno-Phantom Pad N9 / Tecno N7, F7, Gionee E3, G2 Gpad & Infinix 450: Which Phone Is The Best One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by zeanslim(m): 2:31pm On Jun 20, 2013
Lord_Reed:

What!!! The F7 is being out performed by the Q1? Men I am so glad I went for the Gionee Dream D1 instead.
Menh dnt no wats rng wit theirs oo
My q1 was given to me by tecno manager(won it on fb)(hand to hand)
N i dnt xperince wat odas doo(low ba3...etc) very smooth phone
Can dey b fakes of dis tecno [
Cos...wat am seein z suprizin shocked
Will advice pple buyin it to get it frm there main branch....etc

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by LordReed(m): 3:01pm On Jun 20, 2013
zeanslim:
Menh dnt no wats rng wit theirs oo
My q1 was given to me by tecno manager(won it on fb)(hand to hand)
N i dnt xperince wat odas doo(low ba3...etc) very smooth phone
Can dey b fakes of dis tecno [
Cos...wat am seein z suprizin shocked
Will advice pple buy it to get it frm there main branch....etc

Mehn this is F..ed up! The Q1 is 512mb RAM while the F7 is 1gb RAM yet Q1 is smashing it in performance. F..ed up!
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by physise(m): 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Mehn this is F..ed up! The Q1 is 512mb RAM while the F7 is 1gb RAM yet Q1 is smashing it in performance. F..ed up!
chinko na chinko dats wat u will expect grin
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by LordReed(m): 3:46pm On Jun 20, 2013
physise: chinko na chinko dats wat u will expect grin

I know but c'mon a 1gb RAM phone cannot be under performing a 512mb phone from the same manufacturer released in the same year. I am so glad I didn't let the lower price of the F7 sway me from buying the Gionee Dream D1.
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by africanboy(m): 3:51pm On Jun 20, 2013
Rating of the Infinix x450.

Based on these scores, the Infinix outperforms the Tecno, but personally, I prefer the Tecno.

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by africanboy(m): 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2013
More RAM doesnt guarantee a faster device. It will simply allow it to accomodate more programs in memory. There is a lot more to a device than the volume of RAM is carries.

Then, there is also the screen size to consider. I left the screenshot below in proportion to show what the Tecno is powering compared to the Infinix. I dont have access to the results of the Q1 but I would appreciate it if you could post a detailed score.

Lord_Reed:

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by LordReed(m): 4:48pm On Jun 20, 2013
africanboy: More RAM doesnt guarantee a faster device. It will simply allow it to accomodate more programs in memory. There is a lot more to a device than the volume of RAM is carries.

Then, there is also the screen size to consider. I left the screenshot below in proportion to show what the Tecno is powering compared to the Infinix. I dont have access to the results of the Q1 but I would appreciate it if you could post a detailed score.

So why put an underpower chipset to drive a larger screen? Do you see what I am saying? If you are stepping up a smartphone spec then everything should be commensurate. Why put a VW Golf engine in a Toyota Landcruiser?
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by zeanslim(m): 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2013
africanboy: More RAM doesnt guarantee a faster device. It will simply allow it to accomodate more programs in memory. There is a lot more to a device than the volume of RAM is carries.

I dnt understand sad cool

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Dabss(m): 8:54am On Jun 21, 2013

the ram size matters but the ram speed matters more.
Lord_Reed:

For comparison, here's my Gionee Dream D1 score:
and as you can see, you are not even close.
Mr Miyagi:

I beg to differ.....
On the grounds that
1....Tecno is a new company looking to progress while placing it market's base in Africa which coincidentally most smartphone makers have ignored and are still ignoring...
2....Techno is a Chinese company which means they get everything at reduced rate and awesome quality too bearing in mind that it is highly cheap to get things done in China thN anywhere else in the world....
3....The economic pfowess of China can't and shouldn't be overlooked due to the fact that other smartphone makers such as apple,Nokia,HTC and a few other produce their phones in China because it is far cheaper and in return they have to pay some sort of tax duty on em and all which also affects the pricing of their gadgets coupled with the fact that they also have a name and an image to sell...
4....Everyother smartphone maker always focus their attention on America and Europe to make sales thereby ignoring Africa Co's they don't see the need for coming to Africa to launch their phones cos they believe the market is not strong enough for profits...instead they ship fairly used n Shelf pulls down to Africa for us to buy and use in Africa...
5....Techno has a 13month warranty clause on all of their devices, that should tell you something about the quality and the assurance they place on their devices...
6...The reason why people see it as a downgrade is because of the pricing of the phone s which is unbelievably cheap to what others offering the same sort of package are asking for...if Techno phones are about 70k in d market, some of y'all will respect them more....
7...They have a customer care centre that answers to your every need and complain as swiftly as possible should incase u develop an issue with the phone and u want it fixed and if it can't, u get a new device.... if it's still within the warranty period...
i realise that you guys won't just admit defeat. the benchmark says it all. if you beloved techno uses high quality chips, how comes it performs so so poorly? gs3 is twice the price but with x100 more support and 3x the performance and battery life. it doesn't take a genius to figure out with device it worth the money
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by LordReed(m): 10:00am On Jun 21, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
the ram size matters but the ram speed matters more. and as you can see, you are not even close. i realise that you guys won't just admit defeat. the benchmark says it all. if you beloved techno uses high quality chips, how comes it performs so so poorly? gs3 is twice the price but with x100 more support and 3x the performance and battery life. it doesn't take a genius to figure out with device it worth the money

Close to what? If is the S3 then it is close enough to give appropriate performance. The Gionee Dream D1 doesn't lag far behind the S3 in the benchmarks so maybe you mean the S4

No one in their right minds should be comparing a 1.7ghz quad core processor/soc to a 1.0 ghz dual core processor/soc that is even outdated by 4 years. The mediatek chips that Tecno uses were made for the budget market and are designed to give reasonable performance but not to compete with power of the chips powering flagship smartphones.

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Tajsagay(m): 8:10pm On Jun 21, 2013
Some people are just fools. I met one the other day comparing tecno p3 to galaxy s3 and hence concluding p3 is a useless phone. Anyone that compares a flagship phone to a budget device needs his head checked!
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Dabss(m): 8:10am On Jun 22, 2013
Lord_Reed:
No one in their right minds should be comparing a 1.7ghz quad core processor/soc to a 1.0 ghz dual core processor/soc that is even outdated by 4 years. The mediatek chips that Tecno uses were made for the budget market and are designed to give reasonable performance but not to compete with power of the chips powering flagship smartphones.
aha! At least some can be reasonable/honest
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by africanboy(m): 1:47pm On Jun 22, 2013
the Phantom (despite the marketing techniques that Tecno uses) is a budget phone. Expecting a flagship performance is absurd.

There is a different between grade and quality. For the grade which the Phantom is placed, it is of high quality. The flagship devices (S3 and S4) have a higher grade.

I scored the S4 to 27,000. The S3 to 15000.

Also, benchmarks aren't the only way to review a phone. The user experience matters. Try reading a comic or ebook on the tiny screen of the Q1.

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by akwunmi(m): 8:04pm On Jun 22, 2013
~ZN~:
Does the techno have any NFC capabilities? (think S-beam)?

How about the "Pop up Play" feature?

Any "S-Voice" feature on the techno?

How about the smart alert?

720x1280 pixel resolution with a 306 ppi density. What's techno's stats on that 5" screen?

GUY WETIin u DE TALK SEF?21
All dis u de talk. Na. Ordinary add on softwares from samsung which evry. Brand get dare own but i fit challeng u say. EVERYTIN WEY S3 FIT DO TECNO F7. GO DO AM WIT EASE TOO...SO WETIN U DE TLK AbT....NO LET NAME DE DECIEV U...
NOTE:IN EVRY. PRODUCT PRICE N QUALITY IS IMPORTANT N TECNO GOT DAT.COMPAR PRICE N COMPAR FUNCTIONALITIES....TRY C D 1 WEY heavy pass...3 GboSA 4TECNO!!!!!

Techno has done well to produce an affordable device with decent features, don't try to overstretch it to phones at the top of the android pile.

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by eni4fun: 9:45am On Jun 23, 2013
Mr Miyagi: I was gettimg ready to buy the Samsung galaxy S4, when I came across the phantom A1...Being skeptical about it, I made a few enquiries and I ended up buying the phone....a decision I regard as one of my best decisions dis year...if u don't have a phantom A1 then I don't fnk u'll be able to say anything positive about the phone...Before u comment on dis device, spend atleast 24Hrs with 1...exploring all it's features and capaBilities...u'll be amazed...

This is a great device but I still wouldn't compare it with an iPhone 5 or GS3/GS4 or Nokia Lumia or HTC One because each device stands out differently and Tecno's selling point is its Pricing...

From a Gadget freak, I advise/advice u to buy this phone....if u are having doubts about it....

I have seen the device too and I am so so much loving it. Presently using a blackberry bold 5...though won't be selling it, but will definitely go for tecno f7 the phone is really blessed.

If Samsung were to produce a smart phone of equal specifications, their price tag would be treasury.

Thumbs up to Tecno and Bleep all those bitches who have been exploiting us in Africa.
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by eni4fun: 9:52am On Jun 23, 2013
Policewoman: Anyhow you put am, China phone na China Phone. Samsung rules cool cool cool cool

Most mobile phones nowadays are being made and coupled in china...if china phones are chinko phones, then Samsung is the ring leader.

Seriously have a grip of the phone first before judging it. Tecno really tried.

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by eni4fun: 10:42am On Jun 23, 2013
gbanikiti: please we need more testimonies on how Tecno Has changed your lives. it's not easy to be an android user. I advice blackberry users to repent and give up their phones for Tecno. praaaaise the lord! grin

That exactly what am about to do....Bleep blackberry, Bleep samsung
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Dabss(m): 4:51pm On Jun 23, 2013
eni4fun:

Most mobile phones nowadays are being made and coupled in china...if china phones are chinko phones, then Samsung is the ring leader.

Seriously have a grip of the phone first before judging it. Tecno really tried.
they were coupled in China not made in china. IPhones for example are designed in the United States but coupled in China.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Dnaz(m): 4:00pm On Jun 25, 2013
Wetin concern ♏E, anytin wey S3/S4 galaxy dey do my Phantom dey do am. Tecno has Changed my Life,

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by physise(m): 4:38pm On Jun 25, 2013
Dnaz: Wetin concern ♏E, anytin wey S3/S4 galaxy dey do my Phantom dey do am. Tecno has Changed my Life,
ur tecno get multiwindow,smart voice,smart stay? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Tajsagay(m): 7:21pm On Jun 25, 2013

This week, mobility blog are offering the Huawei Ascend W1 at a subsidized price of N35,000. Standard price in the market is N38,000, so you are getting a N3,000 discount!

http://mobility.com.ng/deal-of-the-week-huawei-ascend-w1/
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by africanboy(m): 1:02pm On Jun 26, 2013
those features are software based. I'm sure you can get alternatives in the Play Store or on XDA.
physise: ur tecno get multiwindow,smart voice,smart stay? cheesy

It is hard to be positive about the Tecno Phantom without defending it, but let us be realistic. Would you expect to buy a Samsung S4 at the price of the Tecno? It is a high quality - low grade phone. Period.

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by marcjoe(m): 4:15pm On Jun 26, 2013
africanboy: those features are software based. I'm sure you can get alternatives in the Play Store or on XDA.

It is hard to be positive about the Tecno Phantom without defending it, but let us be realistic. Would you expect to buy a Samsung S4 at the price of the Tecno? It is a high quality - low grade phone. Period.

tell the fool jare...he doesn't know the difference btw software and hardware....
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Dabss(m): 7:05pm On Jun 26, 2013
marcjoe:

tell the fool jare...he doesn't know the difference btw software and hardware....
you are the fool bro. Do you know how many sensors the s4 has? Eg Which software will give your the airview feature without the sensor?
Poverty eaten jealous things. you cant afford it so just manage you lowly n7 and shut up.
What can a bently do that a golf 4 cannot do? But people still buy them. Its called class.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by africanboy(m): 11:31am On Jun 27, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
you are the fool bro. Do you know how many sensors the s4 has? Eg Which software will give your the airview feature without the sensor?
Poverty eaten jealous things. you cant afford it so just manage you lowly n7 and shut up.
What can a bently do that a golf 4 cannot do? But people still buy them. Its called class.

AirView is a function dependent on the front facing camera. No special sensor in play here.

On a side note, the S4 and HTC One have been released without the extra bloat software. No AirView, Smart Pause etc and it is still a damn good phone. If software makes the difference for the Samsung phone, that same software can be applied to the Tecno.

And realistically, how often do you use AirView?

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Dabss(m): 3:16pm On Jun 27, 2013
africanboy:

AirView is a function dependent on the front facing camera. No special sensor in play here.

On a side note, the S4 and HTC One have been released without the extra bloat software. No AirView, Smart Pause etc and it is still a damn good phone. If software makes the difference for the Samsung phone, that same software can be applied to the Tecno.

airview uses the front camera? How can the camera sense your finger even at the lowset part of the screen? I don't think you have you even seen an s4 before? I repeat, just manage your techno
I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by ciphoenix: 1:35am On Jun 28, 2013
africanboy:

shocked shocked

*falls off bed*
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by tosnat: 1:45am On Jun 28, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
they were coupled in China not made in china. IPhones for example are designed in the United States but coupled in China.
Why couldnt dey couple it in d u.s?....

2 Likes

Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by caukerzee(m): 8:22am On Jun 28, 2013
tosnat:
Cost of production.
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by caukerzee(m): 8:27am On Jun 28, 2013
africanboy:

get some knowledge atleast before you come here to say shiT. air view dependent on front camera lol...i see what tecno has done to your brain.
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by Acidosis(m): 10:22am On Jun 28, 2013
tosnat:
grin grin
Re: Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) by africanboy(m): 11:41am On Jun 28, 2013
To the idiots (caukerzee,ciphoenix, Da_b¤§§.) insulting me, I have interacted with the S4. My colleague in the office bought one. I tried the AirView with the front camera covered and it didnt work. Have you fools even tried that?

Other features like SmartStay (or is it SmartPause) werent working because the device couldnt detect my eyes (is it because of skin color or my tiny eyes? i do not know). Things that work for some may not work for others.

How often do you even use the so-called "smart" features? Smartscroll because you cant touch the screen?

Quoting Gizmodo - http://gizmodo.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-review-better-but-not-best-updated-5995291
As we noted in our original hands-on, the S4 comes packed full of "features." There's Air View, which allows you to hover your finger over the screen to see some information without actually clicking. There's Air Gestures, which allows you to wave your hand over the phone to change between tabs or photos. There's Smart Scroll, with which you tilt your device to scroll, instead of using your finger. There's Smart Pause, which will pause a video when you look away from the screen. And there's Group Play, which lets you play a handful of selected video games with friends on the same Wi-Fi network, or use several S4 phones as Sonos-like speakers.

The most important thing you need to know about these features is that you will never use any of them. Ever. Never ever. The end.

Why not? Oh, lots of reasons. Air View only works with Samsung's customized apps—not Gmail, not Chrome—and even then it doesn't work very well. Air Gestures are less accurate and less convenient than just touching the screen. Smart Scroll is totally unreliable, and Smart Pause is totally useless. The only, only justification for any of these features is that you can wave your hand over the phone to answer a call while driving, or, again, maybe if you're addicted to buffalo wings and have an aversion to moist towelettes.

Make no mistake. These "features" are nothing more than gimmicks, case studies in why different doesn't always mean better, and can often be worse.

Quoting Techradar - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s4-1137602/review/10

Air gestures

Where Air View was useful, here we come to one of the things we thought was the least practical things on the phone in our hands on preview: Air gestures. It's designed to let you simply wipe your hand over the front of the phone without touching it and means you can skip tracks, move between photos and answer calls without touching the phone.
We'll say that the latter functionality is good, but only when you're in a hands free situation, such as the car. There you don't want to be having to root around for the 'Call accept' function when you're supposed to have two hands on the wheel, where a simple wipe to answer is really cool.
We've got nothing against the option of doing things this way, and it's not a lot more accurate with the new software update. This means that there's no more (well, nearly) missed gestures, and it won't activate when we don't want it to, which is another real bugbear we found at the start.
Other uses, such as moving between tabs in the internet browser and moving app icons around, are cool and could be useful in very niche situations... but it's still not really better than just touching the screen and doing it without worry.
There are some more instances where it's really, really useful – you can wipe over the screen and flick through PDF pages, scroll through web pages a large jump at a time or flip between tabs.
It's a clever system, but like we said, it's not useful enough – it's cool to do, but takes a little more effort than it should to be a natural flowing part of your phone use.
Like so many new features on the Galaxy S4, a little annoyance means you'll turn them off, and it's unlikely you'll ever turn them on again, which makes us feel bad for all those engineers that were asked to come up with all this innovation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

MTN Reviews Call Tariff: Call Rates As Low As 10kobo Across All Networks / Tecno Boom J8 Discussion Thread / Who Has Been Able To Unlock The MTN 4G Mifi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.