Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,088 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? (3737 Views)

Ese Oruru And The Activism Enterprise By Eseoghene Al-faruq Ohwojeheri / Protest In Abuja For The Expulsion Of Saeed-Koozechi Iranian Ambassador / Obasanjo Is Morally Bankrupt – Kashamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by kellykoko(m): 6:04pm On Jun 05, 2013
Three members of the feminist group Femen have appeared in court in Tunisia after holding a topless protest in support of a detained activist.

Two French women and a German face a one-year prison sentence if convicted of public indecency.

They were arrested in May after demonstrating for the release of Amina Tyler, who has been charged with carrying an "incendiary object".

Religious activists rallied outside the courthouse on Wednesday.

One shouted at one of the women's Tunisian lawyers: "How can you defend those women? You are not Tunisian; you are not Muslim."

'Fighting patriarchy'

Pauline Hillier, Marguerite Stern and Josephine Markmann appeared in court wearing traditional white veils.

Femen, a Ukrainian group, is famous for its topless protests. Correspondents say the demonstration on 29 May was the group's first such protest in the Arab world.

The three women waved banners and displayed messages on their bare chests in support of Ms Tyler.

She was prosecuted after reportedly writing "Femen" on a wall in the religious centre of Kairouan. She outraged some Tunisians in March by posting photos of herself topless with the slogan "my body is my own" written on her torso.

Femen describes itself as "fighting patriarchy in its three manifestations - sexual exploitation of women, dictatorship and religion".

Its action in Tunisia is set against the background of tensions following the overthrow of former President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in 2011.

There has since been an increase in the prominence of ultra-conservative Islamists known as Salafists, who campaign for greater public piety in Tunisia. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22785318

Re: Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 05, 2013
What breast?

All these flat chested females lol

1 Like

Re: Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by kellykoko(m): 6:47pm On Jun 05, 2013
This brand of activism is really new and i quesss will attract reaction as to the morality Of it in seeking redress. http://m.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/04/femen-stages-a-topless-jihad/100487/

Re: Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 05, 2013
Some of them got good n..ipple..s tho tongue. I jst click this thread to see breast, dnt giv a F about amina or watever..Forgive me lord.
Re: Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by Zet72(m): 7:12pm On Jun 05, 2013
;DIn this age bay breast is nothing, na the other side na im be koko grin
Re: Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 05, 2013
Zet72: ;DIn this age bay breast is nothing, na the other side na im be koko grin
grin grin grin I think the men are rather enjoying it
Re: Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by Zet72(m): 8:15pm On Jun 05, 2013
Subomi-luv:
grin grin grin I think the men are rather enjoying it
Nobi our fault naa
Re: Femen Protest In Tunisia: Is This Effective Activism Or Just Morally Offensive? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 05, 2013
How iconic?

Liberation by any means necessary grin

(1) (Reply)

Akinwumi Adesina Wins Forbes 2013 Person Of The Year / See What Happened At Buhari's Campaign In Jos??? / Election Results Benue - Punch Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.