Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Nigerian Asylum Seekers Beg South African Government For Free Housing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Asylum Seekers Beg South African Government For Free Housing (1606 Views)

Buhari's Statement On Nigerian Asylum Seekers Is Towards Global Jihad / Kabiru Sokoto Sues Federal Government For N300million / Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Asylum Seekers Beg South African Government For Free Housing by OoduaDefence: 6:31pm On Jun 05, 2013
Government should take measures to assimilate foreigners into the diversified South African community, an asylum-seeker rights group said on Wednesday.Foreigners in South Africa lived on a knife's edge, International West Africa Asylum Seekers Foundation managing director Victoria Philips-Olaboye said."You need to see the multitude of people which gathers at Marabastad [home affairs offices]. They come from all over to get asylum papers in Pretoria and it is not easy.

"Some have to sleep on the ground through the night. We have a lot of rape victims there and the people are being robbed. Some of the people are pregnant, some have small children."She said the influx of immigrants to South Africa, particularly from West Africa, was influenced by political upheavals, economic hardship, and family disputes."The belief is that South Africa is better than any country in West Africa so they think they can make it here. Some have sex-related issues, they are not accepted because they are gay."

She said her organisation wanted to engage South African authorities to help provide housing for asylum seekers."We have not seen much from the government. We would like to see more being done regarding the welfare of asylum seekers," said Philips-Olaboye."Around 90 percent of asylum seekers are not working. They tell us that even though they are qualified, South Africans are preferred for job opportunities."

According to Philips-Olaboye, the organisation had more than 700 members who were constantly exposed to xenophobia, discrimination, and crime.Providing jobs for immigrants would also discourage them from venturing into crime, she said.
Nigerian immigrant Omokhagbor Michael said he arrived in South Africa two months ago in the hope of finding better economic opportunities in the entertainment sector. He said his stay so far had been horrific.

"Most of the language used in addressing us [foreigners] is vulgar; we just have to bear it. Being Africans, I think we should be treated politely," he said."We had a number of challenges, including riots and [a] political crisis [in Nigeria]. In these days you find yourself in a situation where you have to go and seek shelter. In running for your life, you find yourself anywhere."

Michael's renewable asylum-seeker permit had since expired and he said he had not been able to renew it."The South African government has been wonderful to us. Somebody who gives you a house definitely wants you to be there. We face the problem of individuals who want to satisfy their pride."I have been trying to renew my asylum-seeker permit for two weeks. I was initially given one month to stay. One becomes scared and you keep turning left and right," he said.

On Monday, the Somali government called on South Africa to protect Somali nationals living in the country after a spate of attacks on foreigners.Residents in a township near Johannesburg rioted against the Somali community last week. Tensions also flared in Port Elizabeth and other parts of the country.Scores of people were arrested following the attacks, which were reminiscent of the wave of xenophobic violence that left at least 60 foreigners dead in 2008.

Source: http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2013/06/05/integrate-immigrant-communities

http://www.9jatalks.com/showthread.php?t=3167
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seekers Beg South African Government For Free Housing by OoduaDefence: 6:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
Kai.....see as our people dey disgrace us for foreign land.A whole Nigeria go dey beg South AFrica for house cry
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seekers Beg South African Government For Free Housing by phecs: 7:38pm On Jun 05, 2013
Dat write up is rubbish!am a nigerian I reside in south africa!and I work honest and legal job here and earn ok!even wivout wrk permit yet!so if u idlin urself @ home affairs office looking fr assylum papers is due to the fact that u re lazy!go find wrk and forget abt aduroo oooooo

(1) (Reply)

Woman Suspected To Be SSS Tortured And Beheaded By Boko Haram Members (video) / Letter To Obasanjo: Iyabo And I Met In Cambridge... Chief Segun Osoba Confirms / APC Band Wagon Terribly Disappointed With Gej's Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.