Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation (11136 Views)

Buhari's Statement On Nigerian Asylum Seekers Is Towards Global Jihad / Nigerian Asylum Seekers Beg South African Government For Free Housing / Swiss Investigate Death Of Nigerian Asylum Seeker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 5:22am On Sep 18, 2010
[size=18pt]Gay Nigerian asylum seeker faces deportation[/size]

A Nigerian man who was due to be deported from the UK last night has been given a temporary reprieve.

Hope Nwachukwu, 33, says he was tortured and forced to watch his sisters being raped in his home country because he is gay.

He is currently being held at Harmondsworth detention centre and was due to be sent home last night but the Home Office has agreed to postpone the deportation until September 28th while his case is investigated.

The coalition government proposed earlier this year that it would end deportations for asylum seekers who have been persecuted for being gay and the Supreme Court recently ruled that gay asylum seekers cannot be told they can live safely in extremely homophobic countries if they are "discreet".

Conservative MP for Milton Keynes South Iain Stewart intervened in the case last night.

Mr Nwachukwu has been living in Mr Stewart's constituency and the MP said last night: “I was made aware of Hope’s case this afternoon and was concerned about the reports that he would face severe persecution if returned to Nigeria.

"While I am not in possession of the full details of his case, I am pleased that his immediate deportation has been halted and that the Home Office will make further enquiries.

"I will continue to keep an interest in this matter to ensure that Hope is given a fair hearing and that concerns about persecution are fully investigated.”

Campaigners for Mr Nwachukwu say his case has been viewed with suspicion because he has not been in a relationship since arriving in the UK.

A recent Stonewall report said that "institutional homophobia" was rife in the asylum system and that staff are not given enough training to deal with lesbian, gay and bisexual claimants.

Gay asylum campaigner Paul Canning added: "Whilst it is fantastic news that Hope has a second chance thanks to Mr Stewart's intervention, it is worrying that his case went this far. In particular that his sexuality was disbelieved just because he is not in a relationship.

"I am concerned that [the UK Border Agency] has changed the line used to refuse asylum and to remove people since the Supreme Court decision from 'go home and be discreet' to 'prove that you are gay'.

"I am aware of a number of others who should have our protection who are still in detention because their sexuality is not believed or for other reasons. The Stonewall report showed high levels of homophobia and ignorance in UK Border Agency and this case shows that the Home Office cannot rely on the Supreme Court decision to tackle that."

According to the National Coalition of Anti-Deportation Campaigns, Mr Nwachukwu arrived in the UK at the end of 2009 and has spent six months in detention.

He said he knew he was gay from a young age and began a relationship with man but was harassed and attacked by gangs. When he moved to an area called Sasa, his two sisters came to live with him but the family attracted the attention of locals.

Mr Nwachukwu says that one night, a gang burst into their home and raped his sisters before threatening to kill him.

A family friend then helped him get a flight to the UK, where he began working in a warehouse with fake ID. When he was discovered to be working illegally, police referred his case to immigration services and he was detained.

He says he had no idea that he could claim for asylum and fears he will be killed if sent home.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/09/17/gay-nigerian-asylum-seeker-faces-deportation/
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 5:24am On Sep 18, 2010
This is sad. Nigeria is such a hate-filled country that one has to fear returning just bcuz of his homosexual status.

He says he had no idea that he could claim for asylum and fears he will be killed if sent home.
Hope Nwachukwu, 33, says he was tortured and forced to watch his sisters being despoiled in his home country because he is gay.

Anywaz, I hope UK gives him a fair trial and sees the danger in him returning back to naija undecided
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Metalgong1(m): 5:52am On Sep 18, 2010
Salad of lies . . . . The dude is just looking for visa!!! grin grin
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 18, 2010
They should deport him on time and send him to his hometown. . . .something tells me he's from Nnewi.sonovabytch
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 18, 2010
You need to know the difference between CULTURE and CIVILIZATION;that African perhaps nigeria chose to maintain her culture in the modern age does not make them a hate-filled continent or country.
Ileke-IdI:

This is sad. Nigeria is such a hate-filled country that one has to fear returning just bcuz of his homosexual status.

Anywaz, I hope UK gives him a fair trial and sees the danger in him returning back to naija undecided
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by slap1(m): 8:25am On Sep 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Your yesterday's thread that says African men stinks had me THINKING you're out of your mind. With this post I KNOW you are. Are you yet to hear of CULTURE? Maybe our women should also start marrying more than one man because a certain country of WHITE people do so!?
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Abagworo(m): 9:03am On Sep 18, 2010
This Nwachukwu is a bloody liar and should be deported and jailed.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by playmode(m): 9:39am On Sep 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

[size=18pt]Gay Nigerian asylum seeker faces deportation[/size]

A Nigerian man who was due to be deported from the UK last night has been given a temporary reprieve.

Hope Nwachukwu, 33, says he was tortured and forced to watch his sisters being despoiled in his home country because he is gay.

He is currently being held at Harmondsworth detention centre and was due to be sent home last night but the Home Office has agreed to postpone the deportation until September 28th while his case is investigated.

The coalition government proposed earlier this year that it would end deportations for asylum seekers who have been persecuted for being gay and the Supreme Court recently ruled that gay asylum seekers cannot be told they can live safely in extremely homophobic countries if they are "discreet".

Conservative MP for Milton Keynes South Iain Stewart intervened in the case last night.

Mr Nwachukwu has been living in Mr Stewart's constituency and the MP said last night: “I was made aware of Hope’s case this afternoon and was concerned about the reports that he would face severe persecution if returned to Nigeria.

"While I am not in possession of the full details of his case, I am pleased that his immediate deportation has been halted and that the Home Office will make further enquiries.

"I will continue to keep an interest in this matter to ensure that Hope is given a fair hearing and that concerns about persecution are fully investigated.”

Campaigners for Mr Nwachukwu say his case has been viewed with suspicion because he has not been in a relationship since arriving in the UK.

A recent Stonewall report said that "institutional homophobia" was rife in the asylum system and that staff are not given enough training to deal with lesbian, gay and bisexual claimants.

Gay asylum campaigner Paul Canning added: "Whilst it is fantastic news that Hope has a second chance thanks to Mr Stewart's intervention, it is worrying that his case went this far. In particular that his sexuality was disbelieved just because he is not in a relationship.

"I am concerned that [the UK Border Agency] has changed the line used to refuse asylum and to remove people since the Supreme Court decision from 'go home and be discreet' to 'prove that you are gay'.

"I am aware of a number of others who should have our protection who are still in detention because their sexuality is not believed or for other reasons. The Stonewall report showed high levels of homophobia and ignorance in UK Border Agency and this case shows that the Home Office cannot rely on the Supreme Court decision to tackle that."

According to the National Coalition of Anti-Deportation Campaigns, Mr Nwachukwu arrived in the UK at the end of 2009 and has spent six months in detention.

He said he knew he was gay from a young age and began a relationship with man but was harassed and attacked by gangs. When he moved to an area called Sasa, his two sisters came to live with him but the family attracted the attention of locals.

Mr Nwachukwu says that one night, a gang burst into their home and despoiled his sisters before threatening to kill him.

A family friend then helped him get a flight to the UK, where he began working in a warehouse with fake ID. When he was discovered to be working illegally, police referred his case to immigration services and he was detained.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/09/17/gay-nigerian-asylum-seeker-faces-deportation/

This guy might be telling the truth but his story also sounds like a con. I remember those days when i was still trying to leave Nigeria and many of my friends planned to go the refugee route by destroying their passports before the plane lands and claiming that they were running away from abacha's men. There are so many fake stories out there which has being used by Nigerian travellers to gain refugee status in the UK and Ireland. There are still some Nigerians here in the south that use illegally obtained South African passports to go to the Uk only to get to the Uk and claim that they are Zimbabweans running away from Mugabe’s security forces.

South African passport used to be Visa free to the Uk but because of this rampant abuse of the SA passport by Nigerian immigrants as well as other African immigrants, South Africans are now required to get a letter of permission from the UK Embassy before they can board a flight to the UK. That is just one of the many reasons why Nigerians are disliked here.

Now this may sound cruel but the best way for them to find out if he is telling the truth is to test if he is really GAY. They should take him to a gay strip bar , get him have a lap dance and see his reaction. Alternatively they should ask him to make love to another gay asylum seeker like himself. Trust me if he is lying his d***K won’t get hard.  grin

I don't think anyone can pretend to the extent of sticking his D***K in another man if he is not gay shocked , not even the hardest Nigerian would do that.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by bkbabe97y(m): 9:44am On Sep 18, 2010
His stories were made up.

But then again,  dude is Ibo so u never know.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 18, 2010
playmode:

This guy might be telling the truth but his story also sounds like a con. I remember those days when i was still trying to leave Nigeria and many of my friends planned to go the refugee route by destroying their passports before the plane lands and claiming that they were running away from abacha's men. There are so many fake stories out there which has being used by Nigerian travellers to gain refugee status in the UK and Ireland. There are still some Nigerians here in the south that use illegally obtained South African passports to go to the Uk only to get to the Uk and claim that they are Zimbabweans running away from Mugabe’s security forces.

South African passport used to be Visa free to the Uk but because of this rampant abuse of the SA passport by Nigerian immigrants as well as other African immigrants, South Africans are now required to get a letter of permission from the UK Embassy before they can board a flight to the UK. That is just one of the many reasons why Nigerians are disliked here.

Now this may sound cruel but the best way for them to find out if he is telling the truth is to test if he is really GAY. They should take him to a gay strip bar , get him have a lap dance and see his reaction. Alternatively they should ask him to make love to another gay asylum seeker like himself. Trust me if he is lying his d***K won’t get hard.  grin

I don't think anyone can pretend to the extent of sticking his D***K in another man if he is not gay shocked , not even the hardest Nigerian would do that.
This is one hell of a test.me think the white man should stick his finger in his azz would do the magic
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by playmode(m): 10:00am On Sep 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

This is one hell of a test.me think the white man should stick his finger in his azz would do the magic

Spot on bro grin
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by ada24: 10:37am On Sep 18, 2010
i'm not up on nigerian geography but is there anywhere called sasa in nigeria.

and please he doesn't need to tell the world he is gay when he comes back to nigeria - i'm sorry but depending on where u live he is not in that much danger in nigeria.

yes i too would be a bit curious that he is not in a relationship, if he is telling the truth then yes let him stay but his story sounds too dishonest to me - a bit like the 30 something year old man on UK border force who claimed to be 15, that was just stupid. uncle london indeed!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by 4Play(m): 11:12am On Sep 18, 2010
The made up bit is that his sisters were raped as a result of his homosexuality. It's likely armed robbers attacked his house and raped his sisters but it's not clear how he has demonstrated that they wouldn't have raped his sisters if he was straight.

Possibly, he has used an actual occurrence and spiced it up to claim asylum.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by britzworld(f): 11:18am On Sep 18, 2010
wonders will never end. shocked
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 18, 2010
slap1:

Your yesterday's thread that says African men stinks had me THINKING you're out of your mind. With this post I KNOW you are. Are you yet to hear of CULTURE? Maybe our women should also start marrying more than one man because a certain country of WHITE people do so!?
Letz be civilized sweety. You've been following my post, making snide comment. If I retaliate, you ppl will start saying shoit again. So try to post without personally insulting me, I can do worse than you, sogbo?

Now, back to topic.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

You need to know the difference between CULTURE and CIVILIZATION;that African perhaps nigeria chose to maintain her culture in the modern age does not make them a hate-filled continent or country.

The result of maintaining those cultures nko? At the expense of ppl's life.

playmode:

grin grin grin grin

You're wicked. Do you want to help with that test? grin grin

I think he'd telling the truth. Because Nigeria is very bitter when it comes to homosexuality. Sugbon, part to so pe wan ra pe sister oun n je ki n suspect okurin yen. But he might just be exaggerating the truth a bit because to guarantee his refugee status.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 18, 2010
4 Play:

The made up bit is that his sisters were despoiled as a result of his homosexuality. It's likely armed robbers attacked his house and despoiled his sisters but it's not clear how he has demonstrated that they wouldn't have despoiled his sisters if he was straight.

Possibly, he has used an actual occurrence and spiced it up to claim asylum.

My thoughts exactly. You know that UK loffs hearing crap about Nigeria anyways. They'll prolly go to Nigeria and try to document "Homosexuality Unacceptable In Nigeria".
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by orangemen: 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2010
deported to where? he must remain there or be deported to somalia.
he is an aborminable child and has nothing to do with our culture hence he is an unwanted fellow arround here.
in igboland, such ppl have their places in the evil forests.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by denony(m): 1:48pm On Sep 18, 2010
Sounds 20% truth and 80% lies
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by slap1(m): 1:52pm On Sep 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Letz be civilized sweety. You've been following my post, making snide comment. If I retaliate, you ppl will start saying shoit again. So try to post without personally insulting me, I can do worse than you, sogbo?

Now, back to topic.
I don't have a history of insulting people on NL. However, I think you are guilty of 'over-speeding' by saying Nigeria is "hate-filled" because of her obvious stand on homosexualism. Our culture is clearly different from  the Americans. ***But talking of civility, don't you think your thread of yesterday was rather offensive?***
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 18, 2010
slap1:

I don't have a history of insulting people on NL. However, I think you are guilty of 'over-speeding' by saying Nigeria is "hate-filled" because of her obvious stand on homosexualism. Our culture is clearly different from  the Americans. ***But talking of civility, don't you think your thread of yesterday was rather offensive?***
No, I really dont think it was offensive, the fact that you're still hurting from that thread has a lot to say about [b]your [/b]personal hygiene. Set your emotions aside for that thread, becuz I would be lying to you if I say I care abt them right now.

Now concerning your opinion about [b]this [/b]thread, you might be right. So Nigeria is not a hate-filled country, we thank God. But  we have bigger problems that to be taking out our frustrations on the homosexuals. Live and let live, I say.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by noblegas2(m): 2:16pm On Sep 18, 2010
Hmmm. . . Dis 1 don succeed already! Lol. 9ja i hail O! Gay indeed! grin
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by denzel2009: 2:20pm On Sep 18, 2010
Gay ko gay ni. . . let them just test him with sun newspaper page 3.

1 Like

Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Redman44(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2010
Mr Hope Nwachukwu should thank his stars that he is living in the UK though he is in detention. Some other countries would have removed him immediately without regards for the Rule of Law.  I have no reason to doubt Nwachukwu's claim that he is gay. Believe me, I've come across Homosexuals in Nigeria while I was a secondary school student. My school was for boys only and some of my seniors were gay. I know a number of them that did all kinds of things with their school sons shocked shocked. Some of my mates while I was in JSS 1 were feminine in nature [ One of them was really girlish and handsome that he was harassed by other boys ]  and I saw them being fondled by some seniors. One senior tried it with me but I was not really moved or interested.  I know a lot of the homosexuals back in my secondary school days would have grown out of it by now and are probably married cool cool. The same scenario obtains in Girls only schools in Nigeria. What I'm trying to say is that there are homosexuals and lesbians in Nigeria and this Asylum Seeker should be given a chance to prove himself. I hope he wins the case and is allowed to stay in Britain.  Though I don't like gays, I believe they have a right to life. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by blackcat1: 2:31pm On Sep 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

It makes Nigeria a backward moving country
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by kabukabu(m): 2:39pm On Sep 18, 2010
slap1:

I don't have a history of insulting people on NL. However, I think you are guilty of 'over-speeding' by saying Nigeria is "hate-filled" because of her obvious stand on homosexualism. Our culture is clearly different from the Americans. ***But talking of civility, don't you think your thread of yesterday was rather offensive?***

Funny "Nigerian culture is different from the Americans". grin grin
No it is not,

First of all,Gay people have existed since hundreds of years before the bible/Romans/Egyptians and Jews.

Second,Nigerians/africans already "follow" Western culture, you are late to the game on that.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by ceasyc(f): 2:43pm On Sep 18, 2010
STORY STORY? STORY! DIS IS COCK & BULL
ppl come up wit such crazy n big lies. i no 1 guy's illegal bruv dat claimed asylum after d flat he lives in was raided by popo n immiga then his
solicitor told him to act like an insane man, he did n he most def got his stay n got a council flat as well (he's neva worked since he got 2 d uk. naim jnr bro carry am come uk, he stayed home refusing to work while his jnr bro worked n paid d bills b4 he got detained/arrested)

many real cases of asylum get refused n deported or r left hanging. anyhoo me think dis guy just wants leave to remain abi na indefinite leave 2 remain in d uk jo. if granted then he'll get his british passport in a few yrs. na 2day gays dey 9ja? wot of all those sch hostel stories we heard bk then? gay kini? sistas rap.ped ke? persecution/kill him in 9ja ni? 4get mata jo n give him d stay u gullible arse(s)
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

What is it with all these your unguarded utterances which reveal  a surprising lack of knowledge of Nigeria and Nigerians?? embarassed

In the first place in Nigeria nobody really cares about what filthy, disgusting habits a person gets up behind closed doors,  as far as he does not constitue himself to be a public nuisance.

Secondly it is extremely likely that this whole faggott identity is a ruse to win favour with the Home Office.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by slap1(m): 2:50pm On Sep 18, 2010
No, I really dont think it was offensive, the fact that you're still hurting from that thread has a lot to say about [b]your [/b]personal hygiene. Set your emotions aside for that thread, becuz I would be lying to you if I say I care abt them right now.
I don't have hygiene issues. My 'attack' yesterday was a result of the acerbity of the thread. And, like you, I've also deleted it from my memory. I've got books to read, so occupying my memory with trivialities will be suicidal, to say the least.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by Echidime(m): 2:51pm On Sep 18, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin is there any african who lives in europe and got his or her papers with truthfullness? The guy need his papers,since UK protect Demons who sleep with fellow demons,you will be suprise one politician will help him out and keep him in his house for sampling his ass grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by slap1(m): 2:57pm On Sep 18, 2010
kabukabu:

Funny "Nigerian culture is different from the Americans". grin grin
No it is not,

First of all,Gay people have existed since hundreds of years before the bible/Romans/Egyptians and Jews.

Second,Nigerians/africans already "follow" Western culture, you are late to the game on that.
Opinion is like the smell of shyt; it shouldn't always be the same.
Re: Gay Nigerian Asylum Seeker Faces Deportation by justwise(m): 3:00pm On Sep 18, 2010
Echidime:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin is there any african who lives in europe and got his or her papers with truthfullness? The guy need his papers,since UK protect Demons who sleep with fellow demons,you will be suprise one politician will help him out and keep him in his house for sampling his backside grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Yes many got their stay without cheating the system.

What do some of you take Africans for?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arewa Boys: Why People Should Stop Posting Those Pictures / Osinbajo Pays Tunji Braithwaite's Famiy A Condolence Visit - Photos / Emir Of Bungudu, Hassan Attahiru, Still With Kidnappers Despite N20m Ransom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.