Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,194 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ (12145 Views)

Buhari Phobia: N2.5b Adada Dam Contractor Rushes Back To Site / Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) / Dangote To Open $8bn Oil Refinery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by Davo93(m): 10:51am On Jun 06, 2013
Ondo state in the nearest future is going to be among the leading states in the country with lots of development going on in the state... Kudos to the Governor there, Dr Olusegun Mimiko because i believe he must have influenced this decision in one way or the other and congrats to the people of Ondo state!
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by CrimzP(m): 10:53am On Jun 06, 2013
Alico Dangote is an intelligent man. If it were some northerners, they would want to site the refinery in the North not minding the extra cost. Thank God we have one man who is willing to make real investment in Nigeria unlike those subsidy thief that want our free money.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by gbensright: 11:08am On Jun 06, 2013
NIGERIA CAN BE BETTER WITH TRUE NIGERIANS LIKE DANGOTE,DAN YOU ARE PROUDLY NIJJA

Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by gidiMonsta(m): 11:34am On Jun 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: "Analysts have said previous attempts to get the refineries going were held back by vested interests such as fuel importers profiting from the status quo"

Including the ACN sponsored Ojota
Lagos fuel subsidy protest. Ghana has removed fuel subsidy and heavens did not fall. When in a few years time, the down stream sector of Ghana blossoms, some Nigerians will start making senseless comparison.

Anyway, enemies of progress. God pass all of una. Thank you Dangote

Insincere_retard, na shit full your skull walahi!!!

He said making a new refinery run at a profit would
work even if the government failed to scrap the
subsidised fuel price that has deterred others from
investing.
“We’ve done our numbers and the numbers are
okay,” he said.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by ichidodo: 11:36am On Jun 06, 2013
Dangote Carry go!!
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by Golddy752(f): 11:37am On Jun 06, 2013
seunfly: I have said it b4 10 of this man is what we need.
Abi o
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by ymbello1: 11:42am On Jun 06, 2013
Dangote is a correct Aboki. One Nigerian
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by sunstyle(m): 11:55am On Jun 06, 2013
ceejay80s: Where dis man see money
God abeg make i see ghana must go for road wey 20M naira full am.Amen
guy go and work 4 ur own money 2. na work d man work 4 his own wealth, u can be rich like him if u CAN.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by Emmy9ite(m): 12:03pm On Jun 06, 2013
Great move by Dangote, He will face a lot of opposition from our politicians-to them, he is an obstacle. I am not surprised, this will make him join the first 10 richest men in the world. We in business always stand out.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by baby124: 12:06pm On Jun 06, 2013
Not excited about this. The environmental implications are not good at all. Its not worth it. Refineries are better off in isolated arid areas. A place in the north will be good. Dangote cannot come and destroy the SW. We know how he can use government contacts to do what he wants. What are you going to do with money you can't enjoy? The people of Ondo should reject this. We as a country have not reached the point where we monitor and punish offenders of environmental pollution. Let him lay pipelines all the way to Gombe or Gongola or one of those sparsely populated states. If he's worried about security, he should warn the northerners.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by mandarin: 12:27pm On Jun 06, 2013
baby_123: Not excited about this. The environmental implications are not good at all. Its not worth it. Refineries are better off in isolated arid areas. A place in the north will be good. Dangote cannot come and destroy the SW. We know how he can use government contacts to do what he wants. What are you going to do with money you can't enjoy? The people of Ondo should reject this. We as a country have not reached the point where we monitor and punish offenders of environmental pollution. Let him lay pipelines all the way to Gombe or Gongola or one of those sparsely populated states. If he's worried about security, he should warn the northerners.

This wont be a govt owned refinery and concerted efforts by the govt of the day can bring such worries under control. Nigeria needs investments , lots of it to create millions of jobs and keep our youths busy.Lagos dserves at least one refinery or two and maybe one in Ibadan too. And lest i forget we need more to compete with Dangote because i do not fancy his unfair business play in Nigeria. I pray God will help others and myself to succeed. I also look forward to many more investments in areas of cement to break the holding monopoly and force the price down to like 5oonaira a bag, why not.But we need this refinery fast!

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by lekkie073(m): 12:47pm On Jun 06, 2013
9jadelta: i dnt see this as good news. Soon, dangote will monopolize the oil sector like he did with cement, we will now start paying thru our nose to get gas. I dnt trust dangote, he is tooo ambitious.
so dangote monopolized d cement industry? so u r so dumb? angry
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by Originalsly: 12:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
baby_123: Not excited about this. The environmental implications are not good at all. Its not worth it. Refineries are better off in isolated arid areas. A place in the north will be good. Dangote cannot come and destroy the SW. We know how he can use government contacts to do what he wants. What are you going to do with money you can't enjoy? The people of Ondo should reject this. We as a country have not reached the point where we monitor and punish offenders of environmental pollution. Let him lay pipelines all the way to Gombe or Gongola or one of those sparsely populated states. If he's worried about security, he should warn the northerners.
I do agree with you. It seems that the only considerations made are economic ones and absolutely no consideration is given to environmental impact.

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by jidowu(m): 1:26pm On Jun 06, 2013
obeleking: AND WHERE WILL THE TOXIC WASTE(BOTH SOLID AND GASEOUS) EMITTING FROM THIS PLANTS BE GOING=THE RIVER,FARMLANDS,HOUSE,ROADS OR GUTTERS ETC. NOBODY SEEMS TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION. MAKE UNA ASK OTHER COMMUNITIES FOR DELTA STATE HW FAR!

An environmental impact analysis aka EIA has already been carried out on the project...it aims at predicting, analysing and emileorate the negative or positive effect of a proposed project in an environment...a lecturer of mine in FUTA who is in the URP dept did the EIA of the olokola free trade zone...you can google it and see the pages
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by aglomar: 1:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
He can do it because he's part of the cabal that holds the country by the jugular.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by princeonx: 2:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
Can they change the name of that city first before anything? That Oloko something sound some how!
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by seunny4lif(m): 2:09pm On Jun 06, 2013
prince_onx: Can they change the name of that city first before anything? That Oloko something sound some how!
Why undecided undecided undecidedNa Ikale/Ilaje name.........
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by Smartgunna: 2:21pm On Jun 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Including the ACN sponsored Ojota
Lagos fuel subsidy protest.

Are you for real? ACN also sponosored the protests in Abuja, Ilorin, Kano, Nasarawa etc?? If they can mastermind protests in distant places then can you still refer to them as a regional party?
It's ok to support anyone you want to, but when you start believing your own lies, then you need psych evaluation. Seriously.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by Bensonite: 3:15pm On Jun 06, 2013
This is a genuine concern about the environmental implication. I hope they did a good EIA and should allow the community to extensively study it and agree to it. The effluence discharge from the refinery in other locations have destroyed marine life and farmlands with life expectancy cut down.
We definitely need bold investment like that can create needed jobs but then the best practices should be adopted.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by dapsonlou(m): 3:39pm On Jun 06, 2013
Instead of the importers to block the refinary, they should invest in a refinary, they will make more money than importing. fools.... the biggest problem with this country they the fuel importers, they are the one also blocking power projects because they want to sell diesel for Generator.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 06, 2013
Money is really talking. . .
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by EkoIle1: 4:23pm On Jun 06, 2013
This is going to be the 3rd refinery for Ondo state and ultimately 4 for the SW.

Not bad .....
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by DonaldYusuf(m): 5:04pm On Jun 06, 2013
9jadelta: i dnt see this as good news. Soon, dangote will monopolize the oil sector like he did with cement, we will now start paying thru our nose to get gas. I dnt trust dangote, he is tooo ambitious.

I understand what you mean, but i think ambition is good. He once made a statement that i love so much, "A man without ambition is not fit to live".
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by topazjosh(m): 8:17pm On Jun 06, 2013
bravo

Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by sbeezy8: 12:20pm On Jun 08, 2013
common sense - i knew it would be lagos ondo or ogun.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by sbeezy8: 12:24pm On Jun 08, 2013
[size=14pt]Dangote to Amosun: Don't abandon Olokola, industrial park[/size]

THURSDAY, 29 MARCH 2012

BILLIONAIRE industrialist, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, has charged Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State to build on the successes of his predecessor.

He specifically urged Amosun to complete the Olokola Free Trade Zone and industrial park initiated by the immediate past administration of Otunba Gbenga Daniel to attract huge funds to the state.

Dangote, who spoke in Abeokuta on Tuesday at the just-concluded Ogun State Investors' Forum, also advised the governor to partner with the concessionaire of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Bi-Courtney Highway Services, to reconstruct the highway in the interest of Nigerians as well as business development.

The business mogul said the Gateway State has the potential to become Africa's industrial and investment hub, if right policies and programmes are mapped out by the state government.

Dangote said: "Ogun State has what it takes to become the giant of Africa. As you know, the state has a place where it shared boundary with Ondo State and that is the place we call Olokola.

"The Olokola Free Trade Zone is a place where we can build the biggest seaport in Africa. If Ogun is able to get the right, genuine investors to put up massive infrastructure, we’ll have more businesses than what we have put together in the whole ports in Nigeria because today, as we are talking, we don’t have any deep sea port in the Western part of Africa and by setting up one, it means that much of the businesses will come down here.

"Today, it take weeks for you to clear a 20-feet container in Lagos port; other ports are so shallow, they are not really commercially-viable and will not be able to take big ships to go and discharge your cargo.

"Secondly, you also have what we call proximity; Ogun State is just some few kilometres away from Lagos and also it is the entrance going to other parts of the country. This means that you can have the Lagos, Ogun, Nigeria and the rest part of African markets. So really, why do you want to leave Ogun State and go somewhere else?

"One of the things that Ogun State needs to do is: first, the governor should personally take interest in terms of finishing the gas pipeline which is just less than 150 kilometres which links part of the East to the West.

"I remember when we wanted to build the Kogi cement factory; we have to run a 92 kilometre of gas pipeline. So, for Ogun State, the calibre of participating investors here can assist in financing the project and the state can pay up in a maximum of two years.

"By linking the West with Eastern gas pipeline, Ogun State can set up an industrial park with uninterrupted gas supply, they can set up petrochemical industry, because today if there is an industrial park, what it would do is to help in terms of creating jobs here. The economy will be totally transformed because you would have created a lot of jobs; the people that are here and in the neighbouring states and countries will have disposable income and that will translate to economic prosperity.

"So, I believe it is now key upon you to do three things: first to be sure that Olokola becomes a reality, also to set up an industrial park which does not need much money and people are ready to pay; it does not really cost much. Once you generate that industrial park, everybody would move down to Ogun State."

Dangote noted that Ogun has the markets for the attendant businesses, adding that "by 2014, the state will be much bigger in terms of cement production than 90 per cent of African countries.

"As it is today, the total cement production capacity in Ogun State is bigger than that of South Africa put together.

Ogun state has capacity to produce 16 ½ million tonnes and South Africa has only 14 million tonnes," he said.

The industrialist also urged the governor to invest in security and infrastructure to attract more industries to the state.
Re: Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ by sbeezy8: 6:15am On Nov 14, 2013
[size=16pt]WELP[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Governance In Nigeria Is Spiritual Warfare" - Osinbajo Says / NUPENG Gives FG 21 Days Ultimatum To Halt Mass Workers Sack / Oke Umurhohwo: Have The Police Turned Against Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.