Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,801 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:25 PM

Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket (19576 Views)

President Jonathan's Approval Rating Was 60% In November - NOI Polls / SSS And Soldiers Raid Amigo Supermarket / Looks Like Jonathan's Approval Ratings Has Hit The Roof? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by dtemidare: 1:44pm On Jun 08, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan is in receipt of a forceful request by state security agents recommending the immediate demolishing of one of Abuja’s most popular supermarket, Amigos, but has surprisingly withheld an approval more than a week after investigators sealed the supermarket for its Lebanese owners alleged terrorism link.

PREMIUM TIMES had reported how officials excavated ‘boxes’ from minor excavation works within Amigo. A security official involved in the activities however said no major weapons were recovered from the boxes, contrary to rumours, with only a pistol found in one of them.
Sources at the Department of State Security Service, SSS, told PREMIUM TIMES that the president has refused to communicate his decision on the matter to the Service, more than 72 hours, as is usual with reports sent by the department; stalling further work on the case, and raising concerns he may veto the proposal.

While the department recommends, in the report sent on Monday, that the sprawling mall, estimated at more than N5 billion be bulldozed and the area thoroughly frisked for concealed arms, it suggests Abuja’s biggest amusement park, Wonderland, also owned by the Lebanese, be immediately revoked by the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA.

The property hosting the park is said to be owned by the Abuja administration and was only leased to the group for 10 years, our sources say.

With days passing and without a firm response from the president to what the SSS believes is need of urgent attention, investigators fear the proposal may be turned down by the president.

“We have sent in our report, but we can’t proceed without an approval by the president on such a matter of National Security,” a senior official of the SSS involved in the investigations said.
SSS spokesperson, Marilyn Ogar, did not respond to phone calls seeking to get the agency’s official reaction and next line of action.

The president’s office did not also respond to request for response to this story. Emailed request for comments to presidential spokesperson, Reuben Abati, on why the president has not decided, was unanswered; while his mobile telephone number was not available as at the time of this report.
Reasons for seeking demolition

Officials well briefed about Amigos / Wonderland investigations say the SSS’ recommendation that the supermarket be pulled down is based on three reasons: first, the security agency believes the place was used for stockpiling weapons.

Also, investigators they have evidence that proceeds of sales from the multi-billion enterprise have been used in funding terrorism; and lastly, the SSS is concerned a new administration after Jonathan’s may reallocate the property to the Lebanese group.

The last scenario is reflected upon the well-known case of the Indian business group, Vaswani brothers, who were deported by the Obasanjo administration for money laundering but were ushered back into the country at the advent of a successor administration of Umaru Yar’Adua in 2007.

The Jonathan administration has already faced criticisms for its response to what investigators say is a clear terrorism case, after the authorities took more than 24 hours since the discovery of weapons in Kano last week, before shutting down property linked to the suspects, including Amigos and Wonderland, both in the heart of the Nigerian capital. The Abuja property were sealed on Friday night while the Nigerian military had revealed the discovered weapons in a Kano property on Thursday evening.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138101-exclusive-sss-seeks-jonathans-approval-to-demolish-abujas-amigo-supermarket.html
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by edoyad(m): 2:10pm On Jun 08, 2013
This man should grow some spine for heaven's sake. Do they even need his permission to tear down the building? Why don't they just go ahead in the interest of National security
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 08, 2013
They should go ahead with whichever decision before it is too late
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by seedord247(m): 2:46pm On Jun 08, 2013
What kind of country is this?

Whats the job of the judge and why would they demolish a supermarket when the suspect is yet to be pronounce guilty. lipsrsealed

27 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by willyfrench(m): 2:46pm On Jun 08, 2013
If it serves the interest of national security then this should be done ASAP. No need for delays.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by shangpearlz(f): 2:47pm On Jun 08, 2013
DEMOLISH ASAP!!!
Dangerous stuffs cud b beneath

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Plutarch: 2:48pm On Jun 08, 2013
Yessssssssssss oooooooh. Before you destroy our country and peopleundecided,we will make sure we destroy your business grin. Ndi Ara

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by plainmirror(m): 2:48pm On Jun 08, 2013
Waiting 4 dat Dummy's approval wil take enternity 4 Gods' sake.
Sss pls ignore †нэ mugu and proceed wit †нэ action.
ℓ know U̶̲̥̅̊я plan GEJ, shey Ʊ wan form anoda committee 4 am abi?

Ode!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Mynd44: 2:51pm On Jun 08, 2013
Since when do they need the president's premission? Can't they get a court order to tear the place down? Or has GEJ become both president and Supremem court judge?

The courts issue search permits and this should go to them too. But why tear a building down to search it? Is it not a waste of money and time when the building can be taken from the owners and sold to someone else.

Abeg someone should answer or try to answer these questions

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by INFO70: 2:51pm On Jun 08, 2013
The president is taking his time s0 as not to fall into the hands of oppositons and other killers of good goveranant

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 08, 2013
*Sips from ma can of chilled juice* sitting down gazing @ space wondering #if nigeria will evear get any better... #mtcheeew#
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by StevenJay01(m): 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2013
Demolition of the structures is wrong.I would prefer if the government acquired it and sold it off to bidders of unquestionable character.I don't av to be an architecture to know that the floors can be excavated without demolishing the building

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by ujoinme: 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2013
Why the need to bulldoze the building? they should do their job, the building is not in their way of investigation. If the owner is tried and convicted with the crime the building should he confiscated by the govt. as is done in civilized society. bulldozing the mart amount to overdramatization,SSS should do their job i.e gather evidence to solve the crime and leave drama for Nollywood

12 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Mynd44: 2:56pm On Jun 08, 2013
Steven Jay01: Demolition of the structures is wrong.I would prefer if the government acquired it and sold it off to bidders of unquestionable character.I don't av to be an architecture to know that the floors can be excavated without demolishing the building
The government does not need to acquire it. If the building is been used for criminal purposes, the ownership goes to the government. And yes you are right, they can search without demolishing...big waste of money

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Celepope: 2:57pm On Jun 08, 2013
Nigeria is one hell of a country.Less than a week of sealing the place the SSS are thinking of demolishing the place.What happens to the items in the super market.If you haven't been there you won't understand me.What happens to the land after it has been demolished?Perhaps another case of El Rufai revoking lands and reallocating it to his wives and 7 years old child.Lastly i have not read in the dailies that the owner of this place have been paraded before a judge and he has been declared guilty.Some here are saying the President is slow to give a go ahead.If he should where is the law he swore to protect when he took his oath of office?Sometimes i do think of the day Nigeria will be used as a model for a country where laws are respected.

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Dzany(m): 2:57pm On Jun 08, 2013
SSS should not demolished the building........technology can easily reveal whatever is hiding inside it!
Demolishing is a crude method of investigation! undecidedSSS should not demolished the building........technology can easily reveal whatever is hiding inside it!
Demolishing is a crude method of investigation!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 08, 2013
Nailralanders! there be some bunch of idiiots kids here.

The government should just give order to demolish a supermarket because
probably 'cause the 'branch' in Kano is involved in wrong doing? has it been proven?
you're innocent until proven guilty

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by justmytot: 3:00pm On Jun 08, 2013
shangpearlz: DEMOLISH ASAP!!!
Dangerous stuffs cud b beneath
Scanners wud do the job....Sell it off if found guilty!!!
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by kevoh(m): 3:01pm On Jun 08, 2013
Was around amigos yesterday after seeing a friend,while searching for a cab to take me back to my base I was immediately ordered by the soldiers posted to guard the place not to dare walking in front of the supermarket.I had to cross over, walk a few distance past amigos then cross back again. I never knew it was this serious.

Back to the topic, instead of demolishing why not leave the supermarket as it is,look for investors who are willing to continue running the market and change only the brand name 'amigos' to indicate it is owned by someone else now.#justsaying
what are we going to gain in its demolition? That's the question we should ask.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by creativemusic: 3:02pm On Jun 08, 2013
cool cool cool shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked sad sad cool cool
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by CROWE: 3:04pm On Jun 08, 2013
If everything in America or Germany needed Obama or Merkels approval then nothing will ever get done. I dunno why we have an entire government if the president is the only one that matters. In other matters, why is it necessary to destroy it? if there might be something in there shouldn't they be searching it, demolishing structures without knowing what you are collapsing a building on is the daftest thing I ever heard but then again the Nigerian government it a collection of daft people making daft decisions.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Celepope: 3:05pm On Jun 08, 2013
plainmirror: Waiting 4 dat Dummy's approval wil take enternity 4 Gods' sake.

Ode!
You need your head examined ASAP

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by AkinDavid2: 3:07pm On Jun 08, 2013
edoyad: This man should grow some spine for heaven's sake. Do they even need his permission to tear down the building? Why don't they just go ahead in the interest of National security

You ain't a diplomat for Christ sake. Have you ever been to Amigos?
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by boron10(m): 3:09pm On Jun 08, 2013
Steven Jay01: Demolition of the structures is wrong.I would prefer if the government acquired it and sold it off to bidders of unquestionable character.I don't av to be an architecture to know that the floors can be excavated without demolishing the building
You are a very wise man.
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 08, 2013
kevoh: Was around amigos yesterday after seeing a friend,while searching for a cab to take me back to my base I was immediately ordered by the soldiers posted to guard the place not to dare walking in front of the supermarket.I had to cross over, walk a few distance past amigos then cross back again. I never knew it was this serious.

Back to the topic, instead of demolishing why not leave the supermarket as it is,look for investors who are willing to continue running the market and change only the brand name 'amigos' to indicate it is owned by someone else now.#justsaying
what are we going to gain in its demolition? That's the question we should ask.
on point! what interest will tearing it down serve? sane country will confiscate the property and it will be run by government or sold to someone with integrity

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by mu2sa2: 3:16pm On Jun 08, 2013
Gej should not lend his name to an irresponsible act: Nothing justifies the destruction of such sprawling N5b real estate. The property can be converted to legitimate use.
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Innodon(m): 3:18pm On Jun 08, 2013
let them pull the whole place down. these people uses our money to sponsor the BH boiz.
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by adonismuller(m): 3:21pm On Jun 08, 2013
plainmirror: Waiting 4 dat Dummy's approval wil take enternity 4 Gods' sake.

Ode!
you are just too disgusting!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by Igwe9(m): 3:22pm On Jun 08, 2013
If this is true, then I must say that those SSS are nothing but motor park agboro, how could you demolish a building for wanting of evidence, and for the issue of his involvement with terrorist acts, he should be made to serve his term in prison if found guilty.

Finally, is Mr. President the head of nsogbu nsogbu enyi mba enyi sss group? Lol
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by humnsikan: 3:22pm On Jun 08, 2013
Mynd_44: Since when do they need the president's premission? Can't they get a court order to tear the place down? Or has GEJ become both president and Supremem court judge?

The courts issue search permits and this should go to them too. But why tear a building down to search it? Is it not a waste of money and time when the building can be taken from the owners and sold to someone else.

Mynd_44: Since when do they need the president's premission? Can't they get a court order to tear the place down? Or has GEJ become both president and Supremem court judge?

some people go ahead to coment without even reading the story
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by adonismuller(m): 3:25pm On Jun 08, 2013
Why do most members in this forum comment like illitrates? Please always use your brain to think not another person's own
We are not in an authocratic system of Govt!
Re: Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket by lafuria1(m): 3:26pm On Jun 08, 2013
Somebody is interested in that land. Demolish? You demolish and nothing found what happens next, the economy suffers and they shout it was for security reasons.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Election Violence in Kogi Is Media Creation, I am not a violent person - Bello / Search For Funding For Nigeria Giving Us Hypertension – Okonjo-Iweala Burst / Edo KOWA Candidate, Osadolor Withdraws, Blames INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.