Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,463 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode (16485 Views)

PDP Sharing Rice And Yam At Campaign Venue (Photo) / My Take On Stella Oduah's Fake MBA Degree - Femi Fani-kayode / History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by killuminati(m): 10:33am On Jun 10, 2013
All these questions! Na till judgement day we go get di appropriate answer na undecided
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 10, 2013
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Abali1(m): 10:34am On Jun 10, 2013
obi caleb: Was it not Abiola that said that without the igbos he will become the president.Pride goes before destruction.He is nothing but a normal Nigerian encompassed by pride,arrogance and over confidence
He said and I quote, "We can do without the Igbos".
When the agitation for June 12 started and even when it was tethering towards another civil war, many Igbos simply left South West, especially Lagos. Not because they don't want to join the agitation but they have been rejected even before the offered to help.

3 Likes

Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by awesomet1(m): 10:36am On Jun 10, 2013
GenBuhari: I have no respect for Abiola.

The guy it seemed wanted to rule Nigeria at all costs.

Rumour has it that he sponsored the coup to overthrow Shagari, because Shagari did not hand over the presidency to him in 1983; that he sponsored the overthrow of Buhari, when he learnt that Buhari too non-corrupt and would not give him and his newspapers any preferential treatment.

Babangida was meant to hand power to him, but they fell out sometime during June 12th elections and Babangida decided to annul the election, and fearing for his life Abiola quickly left the country, until Babangida was forced by angry public riots to step down and install Ernest Shonekan as an Interim President.

With Babangida in retirement, Abiola returned from exile and urged /sponsored Abacha to overthrow Ernest Shonekan. When Abacha seized power, Abiola met with him and probably agreed a time table for Abacha to handover the presidency to him.

When it became obvious to Abiola that Abacha had no intention of relinquishing power, he became furious and declared himself President and for several weeks went around the country forming his own parallel government.

Not surprisingly Abacha eventually arrested Abiola and the rest is history.

After a few weeks Abacha gave Abiola a chance to be released on bail on condition he does not leave the country, Abiola declined.

Abiola the man who fraternised with the military and sponsored many military coups was eventually killed by military man Babangida after Abacha was secretly poisoned.

There is a saying that goes: "If you ride on the back of a bear, you may eventually end up in its stomach"
Quite revealing...but I will like to know how you came about all these information.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by adieora(f): 10:37am On Jun 10, 2013
Wow,they should act a movie from this story
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by oyestephen(m): 10:39am On Jun 10, 2013
bknight: Course title: Nigerian Politics 201
Course units: 4
Lecture room: Nairaland

*takes front row seat

No noise nor distractions please. Theorists over to you
*joins you at the front row with a cup of tea*

1 Like

Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by karpentar: 10:40am On Jun 10, 2013
Abiola was corrupt and a thief. "Fela called him International Thief Thief" (ITT). He doesn't deserve to be president just like the theives forcefully ruling us now. I wish all of them will die like Abiola. Thieves!!!!!!!
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by garyaustin(m): 10:40am On Jun 10, 2013
Dear Femi,
you raised a lot of questions that are begging for answers but i am wondering why those questions did not bug you when you were in power. i am very sure you know most of the answers already having been at the top with the oga that was at the top.
we appreciate your descending from your high class to identify with reality; nigerians. more is expected from you. do not stop.

1 Like

Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by adoken: 10:40am On Jun 10, 2013
If you study the Yin-Yang Theory, you need not ask why and how Abiola was Killed:
Abacha and Abiola's case is tantamount to Tu-Pac and Notorious B.I.G
We have the Twin Tower Bombing.
The Strategy employed by the "Professionals" in American High-Profile killing follows the Yin-Yang Theory, double tragedy to cause confusion and cancel adverse effect, and that's what they are very good at....even Nairaland and its postings are not safe
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by DJDOLA(m): 10:42am On Jun 10, 2013
Well I new who kill abiola but not in my mouth they would hear who kill teacher mother
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 10, 2013
Research, pure and simple
https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gen-babangida-accused-insincerity-corruption
awesome_t:
Quite revealing...but I will like to know how you came about all these information.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 10, 2013
peace-1:
IBB HAD NOT JUSTIFICATION OR OTHERWISE TO HAVE ANNULLED THE ELECTIONS,ON THE CONTRARY,THOSE WHO UNDERSTANDS THE POLITICS OF NIGERIA AND BY EXTENSION THE MAN ABIOLA WILL SAYS;NEMESIS CAUGHT UP WITH HIM.HE FRUSTRATED AWOLOWO COMING TO POWER IN 1979,SPONSORED 3 COUPS THAT BROUGHT BUHARI,IBB AND ABACHA TO POWER.IN FUTURE WHEN F.G WILL DECLASSIFIED SOME OF GOVT SECRETS,THOSE ALIVE WILL UNDERSTANDS MKO BETTER.

Awo of blessed memory is on record to have frustrated Biafra's dreams when he side stepped Ojukwu's wish to weaken the central government by accepting to serve as no 2 to Gowon. What goes around comes around and in the end both were left utterly frustrated by their supposed "friends" from the North.

3 Likes

Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 10, 2013
GenBuhari: Research, pure and simple

Which kain yeye research? You plagiarilised Seyi Oduyela's 'Owners of Nigeria' and you are forming king kong on nairaland undecided

@ Naptu, is Zadok's account on youtube?
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 10, 2013
The Author Femi Fani Kayode, had to have known that Obasanjo was fully in support of the murder of Abiola, as this was what his sponsors (Babangida and US govt) wanted in order to clear the way for his presidency.

Abiola's last chance to be released alive was when he was visited a few days earlier by UN Secretary General Kofi Anan, who asked him to give up his claim to the presidency; Abiola refused to give up the presidency and therefore unknowingly signing his death warrant.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by UyiIredia(m): 10:58am On Jun 10, 2013
There is wisdom in what Fani-Kayode asks and says, but, I will always be suspicious of the man for the fact that he was part of (arguably) the most wasteful and corrupt government this country has ever seen. People must not mistake M.K.O for the ideal freedom fighter (precisely what Gani was). Some have pointed out that scandals like the I.T.T saga (popularized by Fela's track of the same name) and the alleged coup-sponsoring smeared what would have been otherwise a great legacy. However, there must be no games played with this simple FACT: M.K.O paid the price of death for democracy to be founded in this country. It is my hope that the truth behind June 12 and M.K.O's death be brought into light. It is an unlikely one, because the elements involved are either dead (like Abacha) or keeping sealed lips (like IBB). However, I still hope, so that one day I can tell my children inspiring stories that'll make them see that: no sacrifice can be to great to make for the betterment of their nation.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by bknight: 10:59am On Jun 10, 2013
DJTee:

Awo... Ojukwu... and in the end both were left utterly frustrated by their supposed "friends" from the North.

ACN, APGA, the history books are on the shelf, still unread undecided
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 10, 2013
This man has raised some salient points that need to be pondered on but our youths are here f00ling themselves.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by UyiIredia(m): 11:01am On Jun 10, 2013
GenBuhari: The Author Femi Fani Kayode, had to have known that Obasanjo was fully in support of the murder of Abiola, as this was what his sponsors (Babangida and US govt) wanted in order to clear the way for his presidency.

Abiola's last chance to be released alive was when he was visited a few days earlier by UN Secretary General Kofi Anan, who asked him to give up his claim to the presidency; Abiola refused to give up the presidency and therefore unknowingly signing his death warrant.

I think before that Emeka Anyaoku was brought in to convince him. Maybe when they (Abdusalami and co.) saw he was stubborn with respect to June 12, they killed him.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 10, 2013
madam,
Abeg go to my thread on Nigeria history and you would see all the events presented as it happened on the international news of the day;
of course articles such as 'Owner of Nigeria ' helps us to understand what was happening behind the scenes (un-reported on the news).

naijababe:

Which kain yeye research? You plagiarilised Seyi Oduyela's 'Owners of Nigeria' and you are forming king kong on nairaland undecided

@ Naptu, is Zadok's account on youtube?
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by omonla5: 11:17am On Jun 10, 2013
This article shed some light on happenings in Nigeria. Though its long but its worth the read.

https://www.nairaland.com/952051/nigeria-1985-2010
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by kevindayo: 11:17am On Jun 10, 2013
FFK, the once upon, Special Assistant (Public Affairs) to President Olusegun Obasanjo from July 2003 until June 2006. Minister of Culture and Tourism of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from 22 June to 7 November 2006 and as the Minister of Aviation from 7 November 2006 to 29 May 2007.All these time he was at the corridor of power , he never bothered to raise any inquiries into these alleged conspiracy only to come up now just to get political relevance knowing that his political statue in the country is dwindling . FFK, let sleeping dogs lie!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Symphony007: 11:18am On Jun 10, 2013
I actually follow this guy on twitter and i must say it has been a most amusing and disappionting experience. He is so submerged in conspirarcy theories like how obama is the head of illuminati and is establishing a new world order...he is so delusional that i am no longer surprised that under his watch as aviation minister, nigeria had it's most plane crashes.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Brilliance9000: 11:18am On Jun 10, 2013
smiley
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 10, 2013
[size=18pt]8th July 1998 - The New York Times
Abiola Dies During Visit From U.S. Envoys and Nigerian Officials[/size]

WASHINGTON, July 7— Nigeria's most prominent political prisoner, Moshood K. O. Abiola, died today, apparently of a heart attack, further complicating an already turbulent political situation in Africa's most populous country.

Mr. Abiola, who was 60 years old, became ill while meeting with American and Nigerian officials at a government guest house in Abuja, the capital. He died shortly afterward in a hospital, American and Nigerian officials said.

James P. Rubin, the State Department spokesman, said in Washington, ''We do not have any reason to believe this is anything but natural causes.'' But at least one of Mr. Abiola's children said the death was suspicious, and another said the Government that had kept her father imprisoned and denied him medical care was culpable in his death.

The Nigerian Government promised a full, prompt autopsy in cooperation with Mr. Abiola's personal physicians.

Mr. Abiola's death was the second stunning development in Nigeria in less than a month. On June 8, Gen. Sani Abacha, the unrelenting dictator who had thrown Mr. Abiola into jail in 1994, died suddenly of a heart attack.

Gen. Abdulsalam Abubakar, General Abacha's successor, had been expected to free Mr. Abiola, the apparent victor in Nigeria's aborted 1993 elections, soon. The United Nations Secretary General, Kofi Annan, said after meeting Mr. Abiola in Nigeria last week that Mr. Abiola had promised to forswear his claim to the presidency and work toward a smooth transition to democracy.

Mr. Rubin said Mr. Abiola fell ill today while speaking to Thomas R. Pickering, the Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs, and Susan E. Rice, the Assistant Secretary for African Affairs.

''In the first 10 minutes, Abiola starts wheezing and coughing and then collapsing in some form,'' Mr. Rubin told reporters here. ''I don't know if he lost consciousness. They get him in an ambulance or car. They get him to the hospital, where he dies.''

Mr. Pickering told National Public Radio that when Mr. Abiola came into the meeting he appeared to be in good health and good spirits, but that his condition quickly deteriorated and that he began to cough and was ''clearly disturbed.''

Mr. Pickering, speaking by telephone to N.P.R., explained that Mr. Abiola excused himself from the meeting, went to a restroom, then returned in more distress. ''When he came out of the toilet, he asked for painkillers,'' Mr. Pickering said, ''and then sat on a couch and was overheated and asked for the room to be cooled, and removed some of his garments, and then clearly began to suffer.''

Mr. Pickering said he took Mr. Abiola's pulse and said he was ''clearly very cold and very disturbed and in some significant pain.''

Mr. Abiola was taken to a hospital, accompanied by the American officials, who watched as doctors worked to save him, Mr. Pickering told the radio program ''All Things Considered.''

Mr. Pickering's delegation extended its stay until Wednesday.

Hafsat Abiola, the 23-year-old daughter of Mr. Abiola, blamed the Nigerian military for her father's death. In a telephone interview from suburban Maryland, where she lives with 5 of her 18 siblings, Ms. Abiola said: ''My position is simple. My father was in their custody. Anything that happened to him while he was in their custody is their responsibility. I can't believe they did this.''

Her father had not been well lately, Ms. Abiola said, adding that she had repeatedly asked Nigerian authorities to let a doctor see him. An American official involved in African policy said that Mr. Abiola suffered from high blood pressure and swollen limbs.

Another daughter, Wura Abiola, told C.N.N. that the family considered the death ''very suspicious.''

Mr. Annan said today that he had attempted to inquire about Mr. Abiola's health when he met with him last week. ''He was alert and asked questions. But it was obvious from the questions that he was in isolation,'' Mr. Annan said. ''For example, he didn't know who I was. I walked in, shook hands and smiled and started asking about his health. He asked, 'Who are you?' And I explained that I'm the Secretary General of the United Nations. And then he asked: 'What happened to the Egyptian? Is he gone?' '' a reference to Mr. Annan's predecessor, Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

Mr. Annan, who spoke in an impromptu news conference at the United Nations today, said: ''I'm not in a position to describe the conditions under which he was kept. But he did say that he had been in solitary confinement and was allowed no television, no press, no media except the Bible and the Koran.''

Mr. Annan added, ''I hope the Government of Nigeria will make good on its pledge to release all remaining political prisoners unconditionally and to define a credible process for the transition to civilian rule.''

Mr. Abiola's release had been delayed, in part because Mr. Abiola's followers, mainly members of the Yoruba tribe in southwestern Nigeria, around the old capital of Lagos, insisted that he should be permitted to take office. In Lagos today some rioting and looting was reported after the news of Mr. Abiola's death, Reuters reported.

The Government, which is dominated by Hausa officers from Northern Nigeria, now faces the possibility of severe tribal tensions. In the late 1960's, the Ibo and their allies in southeastern Nigeria precipitated a civil war when they proclaimed the independent state of Biafra. Diplomats have expressed fears in the last few weeks that violence may lie just beneath the surface now.

Any fighting in Nigeria, which with its oil and natural resources has the potential for being the richest country in sub-Saharan Africa, could destabilize the weaker neighboring countries.

Encouraged by Mr. Annan and Western leaders to move his country onto the road to democracy, General Abubakar has already released Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, a former military ruler, and 25 other political prisoners, but 250 or more still remain in Lagos jails, intelligence officials said. Many of them are not nearly as prominent as Mr. Abiola, a wealthy businessman and tribal chief.

Mr. Rubin said Mr. Pickering ''had not received agreement in terms of a firm timetable to let Abiola out, but the Government did make clear that he would be out soon.''

President Clinton, in a written statement released today, said, ''I was deeply saddened to learn of the sudden and untimely death of M. K. O. Abiola, a distinguished citizen and patriot of Nigeria.''

Nigeria remains in economic chaos, ravaged by corruption and incompetence. Despite the country's immense oil reserves -- it is the fifth-largest supplier of petroleum to the United States -- motorists are forced to wait for hours at the small number of functioning filling stations.

Limited sanctions imposed by the United States and others have compounded the country's difficulties. General Abacha ignored the rest of the world but General Abubakar has appeared eager to reach out to friendly nations.

Mr. Annan's mission to Nigeria, which was not announced in advance, followed several telephone conversations with General Abubakar and a secret meeting with the Nigerian Foreign Minister, according to William Shawcross, a British journalist who covered the Annan visit. Mr. Shawcross said General Abubakar told the Secretary General that he wanted to hand power back to a democratically elected government but implied that some other generals were not so sure.

Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Wittysmith(m): 11:34am On Jun 10, 2013
why did take you so long to let the world know that Susan Rice and the American Government have a hand in MKOs death?
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by onyxo76(m): 11:35am On Jun 10, 2013
i read an interview on this same issue yesterday in the sunday punch newspaper. The interview was granted by Dr Ore Falomo, MKO's personal physician. The interview was quite revealing and thought provoking,but really like most people have commented on this forum, it was a case of 'trying to balance an equation'.
We may never know fully what happened on that fateful day Abiola was killed, only the people involved know...
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 10, 2013
Interesting.
IBB was suspected of using plane "crashes" to eliminate political opponents.
It seems Obasanjo probably adopted the same tactics, and our esteemed author of this article may have played a role as Aviation Minister during Obasanjo's reign 1999-2007.

Symphony007: I actually follow this guy on twitter and i must say it has been a most amusing and disappionting experience. He is so submerged in conspirarcy theories like how obama is the head of illuminati and is establishing a new world order...he is so delusional that i am no longer surprised that under his watch as aviation minister, nigeria had it's most plane crashes.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by AbuMikey(m): 11:40am On Jun 10, 2013
adoken: If you study the Yin-Yang Theory, you need not ask why and how Abiola was Killed:
Abacha and Abiola's case is tantamount to Tu-Pac and Notorious B.I.G
We have the Twin Tower Bombing.
The Strategy employed by the "Professionals" in American High-Profile killing follows the Yin-Yang Theory, double tragedy to cause confusion and cancel adverse effect, and that's what they are very good at....even Nairaland and its postings are not safe
I kinda like you,Basically because of this post!
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by UyiIredia(m): 11:48am On Jun 10, 2013
Symphony007: I actually follow this guy on twitter and i must say it has been a most amusing and disappionting experience. He is so submerged in conspirarcy theories like how obama is the head of illuminati and is establishing a new world order...he is so delusional that i am no longer surprised that under his watch as aviation minister, nigeria had it's most plane crashes.

That's a lie. There was only one ADC plane crash during his tenure.
Re: June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode by Vansnickers: 11:48am On Jun 10, 2013
Ile-Ife:
JUNE 12th, MKO ABIOLA, SUSAN RICE AND A CUP OF TEA

Ambassador Susan Rice is the American Ambassador to the United Nations. Her long-standing aspiration of becoming the Secretary of State for her country was dashed when the Republicans in the Senate started sharpening their knives in anticipation of her formal nomination for that position by President Barak Obama.

Sensing that her nomination would not scale through the Senate and that she would not be confirmed as Secretary of State due to the role she played in the cover up of the Benghazi affair in which the American Ambassador to Libya and three other American citizens were murdered by a group of islamist terrorists, her nomination was withdrawn.

In lieu of Secretary of State, President Obama has now nominated her for the position of National Security Advisor which is a job that does not require Senate approval or confirmation. I wish Susan Rice well in her new assignment
Don't read beyond this point because it goes down-hill from here.

This dude is truly Ret@rded.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Retreat For House Of Representatives Members-Elect (Photos) / Ambode Presents Y2016 Budget Proposal Of N665.588bn To House Of Assembly / Itse Sagay Under Fire For Backing Adeosun On Certificate Forgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.