Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,968 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? (18567 Views)

Buhari As The Minister Of Petroleum - Constitutionally Right Or Wrong? / A Special Message From The Minister Of Works / June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Relax101(m): 3:18am On Oct 20, 2011
There's a story about a minister who drank 42cups of tea and fainted.
He was unaware of d british mannerism of turning his cup upside down to indicate he didnt want to b further served thus the cup was continously filled, and our man drank on and on, not wanting to appear rude by not finishing whatever his 'kind' host served him.

I saw this quote somewhere.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by arsenefc: 3:23am On Oct 20, 2011
Didnt Idi Amin do someone like that?

If I have to guess though, my bet is on an Hausa minister or maybe Ibo, but definitely not Yoruba
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Relax101(m): 3:26am On Oct 20, 2011
arsenefc:

Didnt Idi Amin do someone like that?

If I have to guess though, my bet is on an Hausa minister or maybe Ibo, but definitely not Yoruba

Hahaha, I dnt care if He came from mars abi na jupiter.
But is the story true?
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by OAM4J: 3:32am On Oct 20, 2011
Yes the story is true, but definitely not up to 42 cups, I think it was about 4 or 5 cups. He was a minister in the 1st republic, I heard Balewa had to tell him in Hausa language to turn his cup over.  grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by musiwa43: 4:33am On Oct 20, 2011
balewa at the  pre-colonial conference in London, did not know to turn his cup up side down.   You dont blame him,  Most of you who did not live abroad for long time dont know. It is like me asking any of the governor  what is germany horse. they dont know.

It is like fashola calling the new train light train. I laugh in canada. it is a metro train.  the truth is lagos state should not convert the train. A new metro goes for about $10 billion. the one coming to lagos are like brand new. they are very good.  the only problem is , they use electricity.

What fashola should do is built power plant just for the train and use them from metro.  it is a one in a one in a life time chance for us to have it.

ota  in ogun state to lagos island is one hour on that train.   what you should do about the electricity is easy. You need to build a power plant and have stand  back up, even if the power goes off.  you isolate the power plant from NEPA and others.

It is important lagos use the train as metro and not light train, even if it means they may not meet the target date. it is hard to get a metroline and it takes them long time to build.  we should not misuse this one time chance. there are no second use one out there that easy. i have been on it several times. it is very fast. it will go from Ota to lagos island in one hour.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Sparkle777(f): 5:42am On Oct 20, 2011
musiwa,,.:

balewa at the  pre-colonial conference in London, did not know to turn his cup up side down.   You dont blame him,  Most of you who did not live abroad for long time dont know. It is like me asking any of the governor  what is germany horse. they dont know.

It is like fashola calling the new train light train. I laugh in canada. it is a metro train.  the truth is lagos state should not convert the train. A new metro goes for about $10 billion. the one coming to lagos are like brand new. they are very good.  the only problem is , they use electricity.

What fashola should do is built power plant just for the train and use them from metro.  it is a one in a one in a life time chance for us to have it.

ota  in ogun state to lagos island is one hour on that train.   what you should do about the electricity is easy. You need to build a power plant and have stand  back up, even if the power goes off.  you isolate the power plant from NEPA and others.

It is important lagos use the train as metro and not light train, even if it means they may not meet the target date. it is hard to get a metroline and it takes them long time to build.  we should not misuse this one time chance. there are no second use one out there that easy. i have been on it several times. it is very fast. it will go from Ota to lagos island in one hour.
quite a character! Tot we were talking of ministers and tea. Talk of de railing.

1 Like

Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by arsenefc: 5:55am On Oct 20, 2011
Sparkle777:

quite a character! Tot we were talking of ministers and tea. Talk of de railing.

Cant blame him that much. What do you expect from a proud employee of NdRC, awon ti railiway
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 20, 2011
I heard the story too, but was told it was Ahmadu Bello, premier of northern region.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by ifyalways(f): 9:34am On Oct 20, 2011
musiwa,,.:

lol

Musiwa,Aare ona kakanfo of Canada.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by TenKobo1: 12:35pm On Oct 20, 2011
The story i heard was that Nnamdi Azikiwe had to tell Balewa to cover his cup, after the man had sank about ten cups of tea and was still readying his cup for more. I dont know how true that was grin grin grin grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Lagosboy: 12:42pm On Oct 20, 2011
ifyalways:

lol

Musiwa,Aare ona kakanfo of Canada.

Where have u been!! abeg shoot me a mail.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by shadrach77: 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2011
I heard it's the Emir of Gwandu who drank 40 cups of tea grin[url][/url]
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Welder(m): 12:49pm On Oct 20, 2011
Ten Kobo:

The story i heard was that Nnamdi Azikiwe had to tell Balewa to cover his cup, after the man had sank about ten cups of tea and was still readying his cup for more. I dont know how true that was grin grin grin grin

That was the story, Abubakar kept on drinking. . .Azikiwe trying to communicate in a manner that wont draw suspicion(since he was sitting across him on the large table) from their hosts had to say 'Abubakar kpuchi uko' . . .something like that.

In between, this should be moved to Joke section
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Emperoh(m): 12:51pm On Oct 20, 2011
Nna Awolowo inuchaa, ikpuchie iko!!
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Salmoneus(m): 12:57pm On Oct 20, 2011
It's folklore I heard the same story about a British man and a China, it's used to describe how culture can affect business or in this case politics.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by sylve11: 1:02pm On Oct 20, 2011
arsenefc:

Cant blame him that much. What do you expect from a proud employee of NdRC, awon ti railiway

lol grin grin cool
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by HighChief4(m): 1:04pm On Oct 20, 2011
It was Abubakar and Azikiwe called him to order. "Abubakar inwucha ikpuchie iko"
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by omo9ja1(m): 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2011
If the story na true that was a national disgrace on Nigeria

But such happen

God bless Nigeria
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by somegirl1: 1:22pm On Oct 20, 2011
High_Chief:

It was Abubakar and Azikiwe called him to order. "Abubakar inwucha ikpuchie iko"
and abubakar understood igbo?
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 20, 2011
The story has it that as the tea session was progressing & Zik learnt that Abukakar doesn't understand the rules, he stylishly told their host "Let us pray"
It was during the short prayer that ensued that he communicated to Abubakar in whatever language he coded to turn his cup after
his present round or risk going home with swollen stomach!
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Bestglo(f): 1:44pm On Oct 20, 2011
I also heard the story,it was Abubaka Tafawa Balewa who drank 4 cups,at the point of finishing the fifth cup, he looked at Zik and said "Nnamdi,my belle don full o" Zik then asked him to turn the cup  upside down which he did
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by aljharem3: 1:47pm On Oct 20, 2011
High_Chief:

very very stu.pid post . very typical

so abubakar understood that language right. moreover did they ask you who told him to put the cup down ?
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by pitoski(m): 2:00pm On Oct 20, 2011
he should hav just say, "Thank You, Am Satisfied". Never try to please anyone, just be your simple self.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by eagle22(f): 2:03pm On Oct 20, 2011
The person is Abubakar
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by arsenefc: 2:12pm On Oct 20, 2011
Okoro2015:

The story has it that as the tea session was progressing & Zik learnt that Abukakar doesn't understand the rules, he stylishly told their host "Let us pray"
It was during the short prayer that ensued that he communicated to Abubakar in whatever language he coded to turn his cup after
his present round or risk going home with swollen stomach!

This is the version I heard.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by SHABZ: 2:13pm On Oct 20, 2011
abubakar don finish work,but wetin de pain this alj harem guy? not a single sense of humour
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by seanet02: 2:53pm On Oct 20, 2011
High_Chief:

Liar! It was azikwe who drank 48 million cups and Awo told him to turn TMF upside down
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Isokoman1(m): 3:10pm On Oct 20, 2011
musiwa,,.:

Oga for Canada, when they say LIGHT railway, they don't mean electricity but LIGHT as it is not as heavy as normal train. Eg, in London they have what is called DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY (DLR). So make you call metro is just a name of the company.
Back to the main topic, I think its just a myth, nothing like that really happen. My humble opinion!
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by ak47mann(m): 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2011
NO BE ABIOLA shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by executinal(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2011
It was AWOLOWO, Zik told him Awolowo my brother after you finish drinking this last cup, you turn the cup upside down, ok? he respond yes sir grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by lagcity(m): 5:00pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^^^^
yeah right in ya dreams cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC Storms Okupe’s Home / NPF Refuses To Pass Out 418 RC3 Cadets - Sahara Reporters / New Minimum Wage: Why Is Atiku Or The PDP Not Saying Anything?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.