Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,435 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Gay Vs. Polygamy - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gay Vs. Polygamy (856 Views)

Gayism Vs Polygamy / Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? / Your Views On Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gay Vs. Polygamy by henryskywalker2003(m): 7:17pm On Jun 08, 2013
Came across an old news today that I read in the past online. The news was about the first African traditional gay wedding that happened in South Africa. https://www.nairaland.com/1251994/first-traditional-african-gay-wedding. While reading it over again, a thought suddenly occurred to me. Why are African countries so keen to adopt Western cultures (both the positive and negative aspects) but the westerners are not doing the same to our cultures. This gay issue is a very good case study. Now, let me say from the beginning that I am a big time advocate AGAINST being gay. No matter what people say or try to justify it, I never seem to understand why a dude would wake up one day and use a natural exit as an artificial point of entry. Maybe am Neanderthal, a bush man, a homophobe or whatever new names they call people like me nowadays. But that's a different story and I digress.

My main issue with this is that being gay was popularized by the West and among Africans, 99% of the indigenous tribes view it as a sort of taboo. But lately, we are seeing people adopting it readily. Some even being brave enough to "come out of the closet". Many Western countries have been propagating and preaching gay rights and made laws legalizing same sex unions (sorry, can't call that marriage) and at the same time threatening other countries that dared enact laws against the gays with sanctions and withdrawing their "aids". The UN has set aside May 17 as a day to celebrate the gays. Now, the thing is that, I noticed that in virtually all the Western countries that are pro-gay, they are, at the same time, anti-polygamy. It is in fact a crime called Bigamy and is punishable with both fine and prison sentences. Here is a little breakdown of punishment given to people that are guilty of bigamy in countries that being gay is legal.

Australia --- fine or prison term up to 5 years (Bans all anti-gay discriminations).
United Kingdom --- fine or prison term up to 7 years (Bans all anti-gay discriminations).
Germany --- fine or prison term up to 3 years (Bans some anti-gay discriminations).
Belgium --- 5 to 10 years[b](Bans all anti-gay discriminations).[/b]
New Zealand --- up to 15 years (Bans all anti-gay discriminations).
United States --- up to 5 years (Bans all anti-gay discriminations in states where it is legalized)..
Canada --- Criminal offense but prosecutions are rare (Bans all anti-gay discriminations).

As you can see from the above, these countries are usually the major proponents of gay rights around the globe, and just as some people were shouting blue murder because of the proposed 14 years jail term for gays in Nigeria, no body is complaining about the 10 and 15 years jail terms in Belgium and New Zealand respectively. I have absolutely no problem with the laws and punishments above, just as long as it is within their sovereign states. But, why should they be forcing us to accept their weirdness but at the same time unwilling to accept our own weirdness? Is their culture much better than ours? Are we less of a human that polygamists shouldn't have rights but it's ok for gay folks to have? I see Africans championing the gay cause as tools in the hands of the West. Tools doing their dirty work for them. Every year, you hear celebrations commemorating LGBT rights tagged GAY Pride in such countries where it's legal to be gay. If some group of people should come together and start celebrating Polygamy Pride, many of our fellow Africans will call it being backwards, not modern, stuck in the Dark Ages etc. These same people will find nothing in celebrating Gay Prides. I think it's time we go back to the roots. Other cultures that embraced theirs are moving forward each day while we are gradually losing our cultural identities with each passing generation.

P.S. I do hope that am posting this in the right place if not, can the mods kindly move it to the relevant section and possibly make it a front page link.

3 Likes

Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by Nobody: 5:52am On Jun 11, 2013
Well, Africa is still suffering from inferiority complex, which was imbibed by colonialism.
Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by PAPAAFRICA: 6:40am On Jun 11, 2013
Interesting view OP
Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 11, 2013
Interesting write-up.

I support polygamy but fvck faggotry!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 12, 2013
bumped
Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jun 12, 2013
Trash!
Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by MamiWata: 4:35pm On Jul 03, 2013
Cultural respect has never been a give and take with the west vs. the rest. You're right that there is no logical reason to be for gay marriage and anti-multiple spouses. It's up to each African who values their traditions to make better choices. We should not continue to bend over backward to accommodate people who rarely move an inch for us. That's what Macky Sall did when he rejected obama's recent gay overtures.

1 Like

Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by EfemenaXY: 9:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
Wow!

What an interesting view! I never would have looked at both issues from the @OP's perspective, re: culture wise...

Kudos!
Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by henryskywalker2003(m): 1:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
Thanks to all that has commented. I appreciate your views.
Re: Gay Vs. Polygamy by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
donedy: Well, Africa is still suffering from inferiority complex, which was imbibed by colonialism.

True.
Plus no matter how modern africa has become or will beome, the rest of the world will view anything native to africa as primitive. Notice polygamy is practiced outside of africa by non african ppl. When they do it, it's "culture" but when africans do it, its "chauvinism" lol.

You have white ppl in america who live on private property where there would be one man with like 20 wives (these men are usually farmers, mormons, preachers...they sometimes sleep with their own daughters from these unions lol).

Yet they (the media) will send cameras to their properties to do documentaries on them...and its "fascinating" but when missionaries go to africa, particularly east africa, its "unGodly and needs to be rectified".

Another thing I just thought of:

Part of me feels like they think africa's booming population is due to polygamy and by controlling african style marriage, they will attempt to control her population.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Dee Lee "They Are Still Our Slaves" / The Origin Of Six Foot Graves / Tension In Agbor Kingdom As King Reportedly Marries White Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.