Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,180 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? (4899 Views)

Some Habits That Will Never Be Fully Accepted In Nigeria / African Americans - More Accepted By Igbo Or Yoruba Families / Your Views On Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by beknown(m): 12:25pm On Oct 07, 2009
I read a news article on BBC website titled, "I married four women to save money". For those interested in the full story, see the link below:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8292312.stm

Is polygamy accepted in the modern day in Nigeria? Will Nigerians like the idea of polygamy? Has polygamy any gain in Nigeria? Is polygamy about saving money? Is polygamy about having many hands for farm work? etc etc.

It will be nice if we can get contribution from people with experience of polygamy.

Let us discuss this topic in a sensible way.

What do you think?
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 07, 2009
Polygamy may be seen as old school but that gene is still there hence the unfaithfulness we hear about everyday and the ladies just accept it as the norm as long as the man is putting food on the table.
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by MissyB1(m): 12:40pm On Oct 07, 2009
beknown:

Is polygamy about saving money?
Nah Nah.
There's no point trying to fine-paint Polygamy.
The Man didn't Marry 4 women to save money . . . . . .
Instead, he married 4 women at once to economize.

beknown:

Has polygamy any gain in Nigeria?
Before we look at the Nation at large . . .Let's start from the home.
Polygamy does more harm than good and there's practically li2 or no gain in it.

For every Man there's a woman and not more.
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by noetic15(m): 7:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
last time I checked polygamy is not a crime and the bible does not condemn it either. . . . .
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 11:05pm On Oct 07, 2009
I want to marry four women and have 16 children (4 from each wife).
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 12:15am On Oct 08, 2009
no it's being replaced by one wife and mistress(es)

that's less stressful.
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 4:43am On Oct 08, 2009
bawomolo:

that's less stressful.

how is the less stressful, when you will still have to account for your movt and play some hide and seek
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by beknown(m): 11:37am On Oct 08, 2009
Some of the contributions here show that there is no problem having many wives. In fact, Nigeria culture and law does not limit the number of wives a man can have.

Let us face the reality. What about the consequence of having more than one wife? I mean the effect of having more than one.

Anyone still there?
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 11:40am On Oct 08, 2009
Oh yes. . .I dont think anything has changed!
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by asha80(m): 11:56am On Oct 08, 2009
beknown:

Some of the contributions here show that there is no problem having many wives. In fact, Nigeria culture and law does not limit the number of wives a man can have.

Let us face the reality. What about the consequence of having more than one wife? I mean the effect of having more than one.
Anyone still there?

More almajiris and alayes.
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 2:43pm On Oct 08, 2009
Polygamy is better than those men in Europe and Americas who swap wives and keep lots of missus.
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:17pm On Oct 08, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Polygamy is better than those men in Europe and Americas who swap wives and keep lots of missus.

Non is better.
As a matter of fact, i think it is worse, cos in Nigeria the wives are not consulted before the man just bring in another woman as second wife, and now the first wife is treated like dirt in her own home, while the in couple swapping, the woman knows about it and they both decide to do it.
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 4:05pm On Oct 13, 2009
noetic15:

last time I checked polygamy is not a crime and the bible does not condemn it either. . . . .
why do y'all keep quoting the bible? was the question does god allow polygamy or nigeria?
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by tamme: 4:42am On Oct 16, 2009
only in the North-I think
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by noetic15(m): 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2009
agathamari:

why do y'all keep quoting the bible? was the question does god allow polygamy or nigeria?

wetin be ur own?
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Oct 17, 2009
As long as there are women to marry the married men, polygamy aint going nowhere.
It is demand and supply
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by muffins(f): 10:50pm On Oct 17, 2009
Polygamy is a personal thing in Nigeria not a government thing.
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by NegroNtns(m): 11:30pm On Oct 17, 2009
Hold on. . .hold on. . . angry

Na who be this person wey wan know if polygamy is accepted in Nigeria? Henh, na who be this questioner. . .

Make you no piss me off angry angry
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by Oluschenco(m): 3:43pm On Oct 19, 2009
Beauty they say, is in the eyes of the beholder, anybody has the right to marry as much as he likes, whether in riches or the other way round.
Besides, is there a law in your community/town that goes against Polygamy let alone Nigeria? grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by MyJoe: 1:38pm On Nov 06, 2009
bawomolo:

that's less stressful.
grin grin

Looking at it from a utilitarian viewpoint, polygamy solves a lot of social problems. It is about women who would have no space for themselves finding succour in a man's home. Before you accuse me of Miss Ogyny, I am not recommending it for everyone. All I am saying is that men who can afford it should take in women who have no one to look after them or their little children. Socially, this is far better than the Mistress Model because the women and children involved actually have a home. The age-old practice of polygamy should be encouraged!

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 11:51pm On Nov 29, 2013
To a extent yes
Re: Is Polygamy Still Accepted In Nigeria? by tpia5: 5:56am On Nov 30, 2013
why are foreigners so interested in nigeria??

assuming it even translates to improved quality of life for nigerians, might have been a good thing, but no, all we're seeing is worse and worse image despite all the so-called interaction.

(1) (Reply)

How Come Nigerian Ladies Never Have A Drink? / History Of Ikwerre - The Bini Connection / European Languages Are Killing African Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.