Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. (2551 Views)

New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / Former Lagos Governor Fashola In Mecca (Photo) / Wikileaks: Lagos Governor Tinubu On Funsho Williams' Murder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by soledayo(m): 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2013
I was just pondering on this issue and I need to get your views. No religious issues attached, I just want to hear everyone's view since it seems Muslims have always been ruling Lagos and i heard from source that another Muslim person has been anointed for the next ACN/APC aspirant.
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by nedu2000(m): 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2013
Its just coincidence

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by 99cent: 9:59pm On Jun 09, 2013
In Nigerian Christianity, high rank and success is measured by how western you are ex. impeccable English, flashy cars and clothes, high western education and professional jobs etc. Where as in Islam, community leaders are more respected and valued rather than how flashy your car is.

In a christian church like RCCG, winners chapel etc, you will not be congratulated for being the local government chairman or a local politician. instead, the most respected persons in lagos churches are doctors, lawyers, federal officials etc.

In mosques on the other hand, local politicians are more valued. If you go to a mosque, the most respected members there are local govt chairpersons, local businessmen and women, mayor, community leaders etc.

so muslims are more motivated/ incentivized to involve themselves in local politics than christians.
if a christian did it, he might be accused of being illiterate or too local.

I know this because my uncle (christian) is a local politician and he is more respected by his muslim friends. most of his christian friends do not give him the same respect. they value more professional, western style successes. like doctors and lawyers.
the only exception to this are churches like Celestial church/ cherubim and seraphim etc. they have similar attitude in terms of respect for "local-ness" as muslims.

in pentecostal churches, u will be respected for not knowing how to speak ur native language or for wearing western clothes exclusively. where as in islam, that will be shameful.

10 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by jjcbuthot: 11:38pm On Jun 09, 2013
Muslim will always rule Lagos because they are more than xtians here. We are not in Anambra.

Number is not about noise... Muslims dont make noise.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by automaticcarzz: 11:43pm On Jun 09, 2013
99cent: In Nigerian Christianity, high rank and success is measured by how western you are ex. impeccable English, flashy cars and clothes, high western education and professional jobs etc. Where as in Islam, community leaders are more respected and valued rather than how flashy your car is.

In a christian church like RCCG, winners chapel etc, you will not be congratulated for being the local government chairman or a local politician. instead, the most respected persons in lagos churches are doctors, lawyers, federal officials etc.

In mosques on the other hand, local politicians are more valued. If you go to a mosque, the most respected members there are local govt chairpersons, local businessmen and women, mayor, community leaders etc.

so muslims are more motivated/ incentivized to involve themselves in local politics than christians.

I know this because my uncle (christian) is a local politician and he is more respected by his muslim friends. most of his christian friends do not give him the same respect. they value more professional, western style successes. like doctors and lawyers.
the only exception to this are churches like Celestial church/ cherubim and seraphim etc. they have similar attitude in terms of respect for "local-ness" as muslims.

in pentecostal churches, u will be respected for not knowing how to speak ur native language or for wearing western clothes exclusively. where as in islam, that will be shameful.
You are the best! Anything you say on nairaland makes sense each time you contribute.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by PvtParts1: 12:29am On Jun 10, 2013
99cent: In Nigerian Christianity, high rank and success is measured by how western you are ex. impeccable English, flashy cars and clothes, high western education and professional jobs etc. Where as in Islam, community leaders are more respected and valued rather than how flashy your car is.

So Muslims are better respected by both Muslims and non-Muslims?

Consumptive assumptions.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by CROWE: 12:33am On Jun 10, 2013

Everybody respects governors as far as I cal tell, there is no perception of local about being a governor. Everybody wants to be the governor.
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Tunsbobo(m): 12:38am On Jun 10, 2013
Uneccessary thread, created by an individual obviously high on local weed
Punchline: Op should smoke more weed until he attains recognition for continously and endlessly creating uneccessary threads, thereafter he should be banned from using the internet at all!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by samstradam: 1:38am On Jun 10, 2013
jjcbuthot: Muslim will always rule Lagos because they are more than xtians here. We are not in Anambra.

Number is not about noise... Muslims dont make noise.

Mr Man you are causing as much division as the fools who are trying to bring their backwardness to Eko, plus more importantly you are speaking untruths.

For the sake of clarity, the Christian population is undoubtedly higher than the Muslim population of Lagos and has been so since the first elected governor of Lagos, Alhaji Jakande.

If what you meant to say was that more indigenous Lagosians are Muslim, then that is quite plausible; but if you are insisting that that indigenous population of Yoruba muslims and some Northerners in Lagos outnumber the Christian Yorubas, Igbos, SS, Middlebelt and all other minorities who have now called Lagos home for about 50 years, then you are just as insincere as the original fools who started this brouhaha.

If still confused consider the last general election in Lagos where Fashola won one week in a keenly contested state election with 1.5m votes and GEJ with his Christianity fueled propaganda machine managed to get 1.3m the next week in the same Lagos in a less keenly contested election.

Why we have Muslim governors in Lagos state is because of Yoruba Christians refusing to compromise their Yorubaness, you should take their cue.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by samstradam: 1:46am On Jun 10, 2013

More truth- funnily my Uncle (a muslim) is also a successful politician in Lagos and its the same experience we had in our majority Christian family with people looking down on it at first.
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by dayokanu(m): 2:18am On Jun 10, 2013
Op

Can you find out who was Sir Michael Otedola ?

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by PvtParts1: 2:27am On Jun 10, 2013
samstradam:

More truth- funnily my Uncle (a muslim) is also a successful politician in Lagos and its the same experience we had in our majority Christian family with people looking down on it at first.
so in essence what you are saying is that muslims are more politically inclined.
so then why are muslim dominated societies generally a sh1t hole?
YOu don't need to look beyond our country for proof. You still don't need to look beyond our continent for more proof as well and if you want the full evidence you can look towards where you bow and pray towards 5 times daily.

Finally, I consider mohammed more of a power hungry robbing pedophile than a prophet.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by EkoIle1: 2:42am On Jun 10, 2013
soledayo: I was just pondering on this issue and I need to get your views. No religious issues attached, I just want to hear everyone's view since it seems Muslims have always been ruling Lagos and i heard from source that another Muslim person has been anointed for the next ACN/APC aspirant.

Some of our past governors are Christians and it makes no difference to us Christians or Muslims because we don't love or fight based on our different religions and our bond, togetherness and state of being transcends religion.

Only cavemen, illiterates, lack of worldly views and exposure base leadership and public administration on religion especially since religion has nothing to do with competency and capacity to do any job and a good example is our dullard and grossly incompetent current Christian president.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Zet72(m): 2:44am On Jun 10, 2013

U have a point here....& for the guy talking shit about muslin population being higher than Christian, should have his head examined before it's too late
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by nedu2000(m): 6:40am On Jun 10, 2013
dayokanu: Op

Can you find out who was Sir Michael Otedola ?
brother ur very right,but maybe d op meant elected governors
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by faroukbabs: 7:07am On Jun 10, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

so in essence what you are saying is that muslims are more politically inclined.
YOu don't need to look beyond our country for proof. You still don't need to look beyond our continent for more proof as well and if you want the full evidence you can look towards where you bow and pray towards 5 times daily.

Finally, I consider mohammed more of a power hungry robbing pedophile than a prophet.

guy, no explode ooo.
what has mohammed(pbuh) got to do with this topic now,
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Pukkah: 7:09am On Jun 10, 2013

What kind of theory is this? Did you test your assumptions at all? Can this 'theory' be stretched?

What's your theory on places like Ekiti, Edo, Ondo and Rivers where they've always had Christian governors? Mind you, there are also indigenous muslims in the first 3 states.

Do you also realize that Michael Otedola was once a civilian governor in Lagos state?

Let's go to Oyo. Do you recall that Bola Ige, Kolapo Ishola, Olunloyo and Akala (all Christians) were once governors and politicians like Akinloye and Akinjide (all christians) were pre-eminent and respected?

What do you make of Osun politicians like Ebenezer Babatope, Iyiola Omisore, Olagunsoye Oyinlola, SM Afolabi, Bola Ige, Etteh etc who were all Christians? Were/are they members of Celestial or Cherubim church as postulated by you?

What of Awolowo himself and Samuel Ladoke Akintola? What of TOS Benson?

You stated that in pentecostal churches'u will be respected for not knowing how to speak ur native language' yet Pastor Adeboye speaks/preaches in Yoruba in his Church. Eh?

This your 'theory' get as e be o! If you don't know the exact reasons for a particular trend I think you should simply say so or not say anything rather than come up with some funny explanations.

7 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Pukkah: 7:24am On Jun 10, 2013
soledayo: I was just pondering on this issue and I need to get your views. No religious issues attached, I just want to hear everyone's view since it seems Muslims have always been ruling Lagos and i heard from source that another Muslim person has been anointed for the next ACN/APC aspirant.

Your premise is wrong. You didn't ponder deeply. Muslims have not 'always' ruled Lagos. What of Mobolaji Johnson, Otedola and Oyinlola?

In a country where it's the indigenes that largely aspire/contest for political positions across the states in Nigeria, the religious composition of such indigenes reflect in the number of political office contestants and winners. Lagos indigenes are largely muslims and this is reflected in the religious leanings of the office holders.

By the time (if) Nigeria or Lagos gets to a point whereby non-indigenes can freely aspire to elective positions, this may no longer be an issue in Lagos or Rivers.

However, let's focus less on divisive issues and concentrate on who can DELIVER regardless of whether he's a Muslim, Christian or Babalawo.

Well, how come no one is asking for a babalawo to become the governor in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by UyiIredia(m): 7:25am On Jun 10, 2013
So far the better candidates have been Muslims. When a good Christian comes along, he'll be voted for.
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by PvtParts1: 7:31am On Jun 10, 2013
Pukkah:

What kind of theory is this? Did you test your assumptions at all? Can this 'theory' be stretched?

What's your theory on places like Ekiti, Edo, Ondo and Rivers where they've always had Christian governors? Mind you, there are also indigenous muslims in the first 3 states.

Do you also realize that Michael Otedola was once a civilian governor in Lagos state?

Let's go to Oyo. Do you recall that Bola Ige, Kolapo Ishola, Olunloyo and Akala (all Christians) were once governors and politicians like Akinloye and Akinjide (all christians) were pre-eminent and respected?

What do you make of Osun politicians like Ebenezer Babatope, Iyiola Omisore, Olagunsoye Oyinlola, SM Afolabi, Bola Ige, Etteh etc who were all Christians? Were/are they members of Celestial or Cherubim church as postulated by you?

You stated that 'u will be respected for not knowing how to speak ur native language' yet Pastor Adeboye speaks/preaches in Yoruba in his Church. Eh?

This your 'theory' get as e be o! If you don't know the exact reasons for a particular trend I think you should simply say so or not say anything rather than come up with some funny explanations.

Dude is as ignorant as they come

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Wendyslim(f): 7:36am On Jun 10, 2013
nedu2000: Its just coincidence
. Seconded
shocked
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Tomoarika(m): 8:39am On Jun 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia: So far the better candidates have been Muslims. When a good Christian comes along, he'll be voted for.
I felt Jimi Agbaje had some good ideas when he contested against Fashola. And he has since disappeared from d political scene. But then again i was younger and more naive at d time, so wat did i even know then sef
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Olaolufred(m): 8:49am On Jun 10, 2013
OLU FRED IS A CHRISTIAN.
BUT I AM LESS CONCERNED WHETHER A MUSLIM OR TRADITIONALIST HEADS LAGOS.
WHAT MATTERS IS MAKING PEOPLE LIVE QUALITY LIFE.
TAKING ALL LAGOSIAN FROM 1-DOLLAR-A-DAY TO MINIMUM OF 50-DOLLARS-A-DAY.

OR WHAT DID MICHEAL OTEDOLA DID WITH HIS ANGELIC NAME?

NIGERIANS, E MAA FI EEPA SILE PA LAPALAPA.

LAGOS, WE NEED WHO WILL MAKE YOU BETTER.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by AndroBlaze: 12:21pm On Jun 10, 2013
Olaolufred: OLU FRED IS A CHRISTIAN.
BUT I AM LESS CONCERNED WHETHER A MUSLIM OR TRADITIONALIST HEADS LAGOS.
WHAT MATTERS IS MAKING PEOPLE LIVE QUALITY LIFE.
TAKING ALL LAGOSIAN FROM 1-DOLLAR-A-DAY TO MINIMUM OF 50-DOLLARS-A-DAY.

OR WHAT DID MICHEAL OTEDOLA DID WITH HIS ANGELIC NAME?

NIGERIANS, E MAA FI EEPA SILE PA LAPALAPA.

LAGOS, WE NEED WHO WILL MAKE YOU BETTER.
Seconded
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by arcis: 1:02pm On Jun 10, 2013
author=Pvt. Parts]

[/quote]

I always respect ur opinion on issues on nairaland, but your statement above tell more about u. Pls u need to apologize to the muslims and don't 4get the op was jt asking a question not attacking a religion.
Thank you.
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by debetmx(m): 2:26pm On Jun 10, 2013
nedu2000: brother ur very right,but maybe d op meant elected governors

Was Michael Otedola not elected?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 10, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

Grow up boy. What has Mohammed got to do with the topic? Mschewww

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Hardfact: 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2013
On one hand it looks like it just happens, there's really nothing to it. On the other hand I guess it's all part of the bad politics we play.
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Niftyrules(m): 3:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
Pukkah:

You stated that in pentecostal churches'u will be respected for not knowing how to speak ur native language' yet Pastor Adeboye speaks/preaches in Yoruba in his Church. Eh?

You need to understand the OP well I guess he saw something before he brought this thought of his to Nairaland. During ur leisure I want you to google search this; #abujadeclaration1989 all spaced please in the search tab. And see what's going on that we never knew.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Emessy(m): 6:15pm On Aug 26, 2014

Hypocrisy at peak , how many imaams do you see with private jets?? do you think the mosque is a business center like your churches , BE EDUCATED THE MOSQUE IS JUST A PLACE WHERE MUSLIMS GATHER AROUND AND PRAY FOR AT LEAST 10MINUTES , the Imam is in front and also there are no PARTICULAR OR PERMANENT MEMBERS OF A MOSQUE so it is highly impossible for an Imam to know everybody praying in the mosque?? , How dare you even claim such when your pastors are known for milking their followers dry in the name of tithes , When we muslims gather to pray the poor might be infront while the rich at the very back and we all end up doing the same acts and living so get your facts right sir

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by tit(f): 6:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
it is time for a muslim-muslim ticket in lagos.
Re: Reasons Why Muslims Have Always Been Lagos Governor- Tell Me. by Tmtn: 6:42pm On Aug 26, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo Of The Day: Imagine One Of These Men Was Your Father / Police Ig Rejects Aig Mbu's Mass Killing / Nigeria: Kogi State Witnesses More Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.