Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,762 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:38 AM

MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind (80957 Views)

Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / Atheists, Let Us Discuss Christianity. / Atheists, Let's Be Honest- The People Who Formed Religions Were The Smartest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by UyiIredia(m): 9:17am On Jun 16, 2013
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by UyiIredia(m): 9:21am On Jun 16, 2013
^^^ Just reminiscing on the past. I still think my ripostes there were nice. Kay 17 wouldn't.
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 10:16am On Jun 16, 2013
. . . . .
, , , ,

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by tchaik(m): 10:46am On Jun 16, 2013
May be Monsieur Bonaparte is correct. MAY BE.

3 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 10:53am On Jun 16, 2013
. . . . .
, , , , ,

3 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by thehomer: 12:29pm On Jun 16, 2013
Biology in the Bible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by thehomer: 12:30pm On Jun 16, 2013
Disproof by miracles.

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by thehomer: 12:32pm On Jun 16, 2013
Why do people who take ideas on faith quickly get offended when facing questions posed in a Socratic manner?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by thehomer: 12:32pm On Jun 16, 2013
The really awesome God.

6 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by thehomer: 12:34pm On Jun 16, 2013
What's so special about your God?

2 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by manmustwac(m): 4:09pm On Jun 16, 2013

2 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 16, 2013

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:06am On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:10am On Jun 17, 2013
Facebook God is the best god

5 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:12am On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:18am On Jun 17, 2013

3 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:19am On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:30am On Jun 17, 2013
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:33am On Jun 17, 2013

3 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by EvilBrain1(m): 12:36am On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 17, 2013
tongue

3 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 12:47am On Jun 17, 2013
cheesy

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 12:50am On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 12:51am On Jun 17, 2013
undecided

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 12:53am On Jun 17, 2013
cry

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 12:54am On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 12:56am On Jun 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by wiegraf: 5:21am On Jun 17, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Hilarious thread grin

Lmao @ the hippo shocked

Wait, is Horus' bibliography true and accurate? shocked

9jadelta: wow

i gotta do some research on this

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1156861_147-Jesus-vs_-Horus-590x706_jpg686a7c6fecedb89e15e04c3e0e12592a[/img]

may be jesus was just a myth afterall

Not all of that may be accurate, there is some debate. However, from an xtian apologist site

apologist:

There are several points that need to be made, I think, about all the parallels that exist between the stories of Jesus and other supposed “divine men” of ancient Greece and Rome. The first is that there were indeed a number of similarities between the ways Christians talked about Jesus and the ways pagans (and in some instances, Jews) talked about other “sons of God.” There is no point denying this (it comes as a huge surprise to my students). We have stories of other “divine men” from antiquity who were thought to have been supernaturally born; to have been preternaturally wise, religiously, while still youths; to have engaged in itinerate preaching ministries; to have done miracles such as miraculously feeding the hungry, casting out demons, healing the sick, raising the dead; and at the end of their lives to have ascended to heaven. These other stories do exist (and not just about Apollonius of Tyana.)

But – the second point – the fact that Jesus was talked about in ways similar to how others were talked about does not mean that he (or they) did not exist. Some of these stories are told about figures who are absolutely and incontrovertibly historical (Alexander the Great; the Emperor Vespasian; Apollonius; and so on). If you wanted to tell stories about a figure you considered to be more than human, to be in some sense divine, these are the kinds of stories you told. That means that the stories about Jesus may well have been shaped by the expectations of the Jewish and pagan audiences to whom they were told, so that one needs to take that into account when deciding what actually happened in Jesus’ life. But as I indicated in my previous answer, this is unrelated to the question of whether Jesus actually existed.

And finally – my third point – it should be stressed that all of these figures about whom such stories were told were also different in key ways from one another. They were not all the same. The stories varied from one person to the next. The stories about Jesus are different in many ways from the others (just as each of them is different from the others). This is important to bear in mind because mythicists often claim that everything said about Jesus can be paralleled in the myths and legends told about other divine figures on earth. And that simply is not true. A number of the key stories about Jesus are in fact unique to him, including some of the most important.

Just to take two examples. As I spell out at greater lengths on one of my blog posts, even though there are numerous instances of divine men who are supernaturally born, there is no instance of a divine man being born to a “virgin,” as happens in the case of Jesus, for example in the Gospel of Matthew. The entire point of most of the pagan supernatural birth stories is that a (mortal) woman is made pregnant by a God, precisely by having sex with her (often in human form, though sometimes Zeus preferred being in the form of a swan, or a snake, or…. some other animal, for some odd reason). I don’t know of any instances in which a woman gives birth as a virgin. So too: the resurrection. The Gospel understanding of the resurrection is that Jesus came back into his body (a one-time corpse) which was then transformed and raised and exalted (explicitly in Luke-Acts) to heaven. This reanimation of the body type of resurrection is not attested, so far as I know, for any other divine man in antiquity.
This is an important point because mythicists want to claim that all the stories about Jesus were simply taken over from the pagan environment. And this is simply not true.

The bolded says it all. Stories, borrowing from old and mixing with new, intended to appeal to the audience of the day (for some mysteriousness reason it still appeals to sheeple... well, indoctrination is not so mysterious I suppose). The italicized is some of his case for differences in the myths. It looks weak to me, but you judge.

random; dyonisius also strongly resemble jesus, Mithra and practices sorrounding his religion closely resemble xtian practices. And satan is more or else egyptian seth.

And more facebook god. You don't believe in miracles? He is god afterall, no miracles for him

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Daddy Freeze Compares Pastor Adeboye To Najwa Zebian, A Muslim Lady / "Man Dies In Coffin After Abuja Pastor Paid Him N500k For Miracle Scam" / Prophet Chukwuemeka Ohanaemere Deliverance In Onitsha Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.