Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind (79898 Views)

Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / Atheists, Let Us Discuss Christianity. / Atheists, Let's Be Honest- The People Who Formed Religions Were The Smartest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Vansnickers: 6:37am On Jun 17, 2013

3 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Vansnickers: 6:40am On Jun 17, 2013

4 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 17, 2013
^^

grin grin grin
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by MrTroll(m): 6:35pm On Jun 17, 2013
I hope y'all know that Wiegraf lied about the Horus and Jesus comparisons? undecided
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by wiegraf: 7:07pm On Jun 17, 2013
Mr Troll: I hope y'all know that Wiegraf lied about the Horus and Jesus comparisons? undecided

I'll let you go since the follow up was hidden, for mysteriousness reasons I suppose.

Mods, why'd you hide my post? Or does facebook god not qualify as a meme? We now have this area god slandering my not so good name?

And also note, mr troll, even in the initial post I state he was not born of a virgin, but the rest more or else checks out. After looking around I wouldn't say that pic is the most accurate around, but as I showed in my follow up, even apologists do NOT deny the parallels between jesus and other ressurected old gods. Myrtha, dyonisius included. (random; And there are also strong parallels between seth and...satan. Even the name gives it away...)

And most of the intended audience here have the good sense to verify themselves, as they themselves indicate when replying to that post. You see, we atheists like to do that, just like I assume you just did. The title here does say "atheists", yes? Not "sheeple", yes? Even in my follow up, I ask them to judge themselves if the apologist's arguments (claiming the similarities are inconsequential) hold any water.
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by MrTroll(m): 7:21pm On Jun 17, 2013
wiegraf:

I'll let you go since the follow up was hidden, for mysteriousness reasons I suppose.

Mods, why'd you hide my post? Or does facebook god not qualify as a meme? We now have this area god slandering my not so good name?

And also note, mr troll, even in the initial post I state he was not born of a virgin, but the rest more or else checks out. After looking around I wouldn't say that pic is the most accurate around, but as I showed in my follow up, even apologists do NOT deny the parallels between jesus and other ressurected old gods. Myrtha, dyonisius included. (random; And there are also strong parallels between seth and...satan. Even the name gives it away...)

And most of the intended audience here have the good sense to verify themselves, as they themselves indicate when replying to that post. You see, we atheists like to do that, just like I assume you just did. The title here does say "atheists", yes? Not "sheeple", yes? Even in my follow up, I ask them to judge themselves if the apologist's arguments (claiming the similarities are inconsequential) hold any water.
I didn't see much of the follow ups after you put up that post but I'd llike to assume that if you wanna put up some 'factual' memes then you should make sure they check out. Secondly its not only the virgin birth similarity that's false and despite it being true that the Jesus guy shares some similarities with other ancient deities, this particular one with horus is inconsequential.
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 7:57pm On Jun 17, 2013
. . . . . . .
, , , , , , ,

3 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by wiegraf: 8:11pm On Jun 17, 2013
Mr Troll: I didn't see much of the follow ups after you put up that post but I'd llike to assume that if you wanna put up some 'factual' memes then you should make sure they check out. Secondly its not only the virgin birth similarity that's false and despite it being true that the Jesus guy shares some similarities with other ancient deities, this particular one with horus is inconsequential.

And I did check, even if not extensively, hence the bit about the vir.gins not being accurate, yes? Or do you think that came off the top of my head? I'm not an egyptologist (or even a hobbyist in such).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus#Misconceptions_in_Popular_Media

wiki:
Misconceptions in Popular Media

The documentary movie Religulous (2008) and the book The Christ Conspiracy claim that Horus was born of a virgin. Egyptian texts demonstrate that Horus’ mother was the goddess Isis, and not a human virgin. Horus was conceived when Isis resurrected the dismembered god Osiris and had intercourse with him, which precludes the idea of virginity, and certainly parthenogenesis.

Notice mentions of pharaoh on that page? And again, 'for the most part the rest checks out'. I would think that if you wanted to subscribe to the ideas in that meme you'd verify what the 'most part' is, yes? We aren't exactly sheeple here. Again, even a responder (and you, as I'm assuming you just checked yourself) picked that up. Yet you accuse me of lying. Note this, you don't say I was mistaken or wrong, you say I was lying

It is not as inconsequential as you make it seem. There are parallels, that is undeniable. Again, after noting interest it generated I looked through more thoroughly and addressed this. Referencing an xtian apologist site, not even an atheist one. That pic may not be the most accurate around but there's some truth there.

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by MrTroll(m): 10:46pm On Jun 17, 2013
wiegraf:

And I did check, even if not extensively, hence the bit about the vir.gins not being accurate, yes? Or do you think that came off the top of my head? I'm not an egyptologist (or even a hobbyist in such).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus#Misconceptions_in_Popular_Media

Notice mentions of pharaoh on that page? And again, 'for the most part the rest checks out'. I would think that if you wanted to subscribe to the ideas in that meme you'd verify what the 'most part' is, yes? We aren't exactly sheeple here. Again, even a responder (and you, as I'm assuming you just checked yourself) picked that up. Yet you accuse me of lying. Note this, you don't say I was mistaken or wrong, you say I was lying

It is not as inconsequential as you make it seem. There are parallels, that is undeniable. Again, after noting interest it generated I looked through more thoroughly and addressed this. Referencing an xtian apologist site, not even an atheist one. That pic may not be the most accurate around but there's some truth there.

ok, sorry for calling you a liar. Thing is, about 80% of the facts posted there about horus as compared to jesus were false. Off the top of my head, only the part about his escape from Seth was similar to jesus' escape from Herod. So I say again, for the most part it doesn't check out.
I'm not a christian by the way, certainly not an apologist.
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by alphascorpio(m): 9:22am On Jun 18, 2013

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by alphascorpio(m): 10:14am On Jun 18, 2013

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by tchaik(m): 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2013
Choose carefully.

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by wiegraf: 7:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
Mr Troll: ok, sorry for calling you a liar. Thing is, about 80% of the facts posted there about horus as compared to jesus were false. Off the top of my head, only the part about his escape from Seth was similar to jesus' escape from Herod. So I say again, for the most part it doesn't check out.
I'm not a christian by the way, certainly not an apologist.

What sort of troll apologises? What sort of troll even announces his presence? Unless all this is a troll, you fail excellently as one..

Egyptologists agree with you about this particular case, but I still maintain this, the jesus legend, in its entirety, is mostly borrowed. There might have been a jesus, but all the miracles, practices and blah blah were pilfered from other cultures. The apologist site I quoted earlier, based on a book by this guy

apologist:
There are several points that need to be made, I think, about all the parallels that exist between the stories of Jesus and other supposed “divine men” of ancient Greece and Rome. The first is that there were indeed a number of similarities between the ways Christians talked about Jesus and the ways pagans (and in some instances, Jews) talked about other “sons of God.” There is no point denying this (it comes as a huge surprise to my students. We have stories of other “divine men” from antiquity who were thought to have been supernaturally born; to have been preternaturally wise, religiously, while still youths; to have engaged in itinerate preaching ministries; to have done miracles such as miraculously feeding the hungry, casting out demons, healing the sick, raising the dead; and at the end of their lives to have ascended to heaven. These other stories do exist (and not just about Apollonius of Tyana.))

But – the second point – the fact that Jesus was talked about in ways similar to how others were talked about does not mean that he (or they) did not exist. Some of these stories are told about figures who are absolutely and incontrovertibly historical (Alexander the Great; the Emperor Vespasian; Apollonius; and so on). If you wanted to tell stories about a figure you considered to be more than human, to be in some sense divine, these are the kinds of stories you told. That means that the stories about Jesus may well have been shaped by the expectations of the Jewish and pagan audiences to whom they were told, so that one needs to take that into account when deciding what actually happened in Jesus’ life. But as I indicated in my previous answer, this is unrelated to the question of whether Jesus actually existed.

And finally – my third point – it should be stressed that all of these figures about whom such stories were told were also different in key ways from one another. They were not all the same. The stories varied from one person to the next. The stories about Jesus are different in many ways from the others (just as each of them is different from the others). This is important to bear in mind because mythicists often claim that everything said about Jesus can be paralleled in the myths and legends told about other divine figures on earth. And that simply is not true. A number of the key stories about Jesus are in fact unique to him, including some of the most important.

Just to take two examples. As I spell out at greater lengths on one of my blog posts, even though there are numerous instances of divine men who are supernaturally born, there is no instance of a divine man being born to a “virgin,” as happens in the case of Jesus, for example in the Gospel of Matthew. The entire point of most of the pagan supernatural birth stories is that a (mortal) woman is made pregnant by a God, precisely by having sex with her (often in human form, though sometimes Zeus preferred being in the form of a swan, or a snake, or…. some other animal, for some odd reason). I don’t know of any instances in which a woman gives birth as a virgin. So too: the resurrection. The Gospel understanding of the resurrection is that Jesus came back into his body (a one-time corpse) which was then transformed and raised and exalted (explicitly in Luke-Acts) to heaven. This reanimation of the body type of resurrection is not attested, so far as I know, for any other divine man in antiquity.
This is an important point because mythicists want to claim that all the stories about Jesus were simply taken over from the pagan environment. And this is simply not true.

Again (still not sure why the post was hidden), bold says it all. The italicized is his case for differences, you (and anyone else reading, since it seems I have to spell it out..) judge.
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by MrTroll(m): 8:17pm On Jun 18, 2013
wiegraf:

What sort of troll apologises? What sort of troll even announces his presence? Unless all this is a troll, you fail excellently as one..

Egyptologists agree with you about this particular case, but I still maintain this, the jesus legend, in its entirety, is mostly borrowed. There might have been a jesus, but all the miracles, practices and blah blah were pilfered from other cultures. The apologist site I quoted earlier, based on a book by this guy

Again (still not sure why the post was hidden), bold says it all. The italicized is his case for differences, you (and anyone else reading, since it seems I have to spell it out..) judge.
Mr Troll: I didn't see much of the follow ups after you put up that post but I'd llike to assume that if you wanna put up some 'factual' memes then you should make sure they check out. Secondly its not only the virgin birth similarity that's false and despite it being true that the Jesus guy shares some similarities with other ancient deities, this particular one with horus is inconsequential.
I think this my previous post is saying the same thing with all you just copied above.
Yo wiegraf, yield man. You posted wrong info about horus as compared to jesus. Why not simply accept that you didn't research properly before posting it?

And stop telling the troll when to be polite or not tongue
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
Troll and Weigraff, could you guyz take your ish elsewhere? You're ruining the memes.....especially mr Trolll

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by TerryCarr(m): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2013

2 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by wiegraf: 8:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
Mr Troll: I think this my previous post is saying the same thing with all you just copied above.
Yo wiegraf, yield man. You posted wrong info about horus as compared to jesus. Why not simply accept that you didn't research properly before posting it?

And stop telling the troll when to be polite or not tongue

Yield, why? Like I already said, I did. But I suppose you expect one to crawl through the entire internet while making a facetious post. Again, read the thread's title. And you still ignore the fact that the theme was not wrong, even if the details (in this particular case) are contentious.

Trolls aren't supposed to be polite unless its part of the endgame. I'll give you that your doing so is rather annoying and therefore trollish. I'll let this go as you didn't see the follow up and apologized for calling me a liar. But really..
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by MrTroll(m): 9:25pm On Jun 18, 2013
Logicboy03: Troll and Weigraff, could you guyz take your ish elsewhere? You're ruining the memes.....especially mr Trolll
sue me tongue

I'm also enjoying the memes, the good ones that is wink
wiegraf:

Yield, why? Like I already said, I did. But I suppose you expect one to crawl through the entire internet while making a facetious post. Again, read the thread's title. And you still ignore the fact that the theme was not wrong, even if the details (in this particular case) are contentious.

Trolls aren't supposed to be polite unless its part of the endgame. I'll give you that your doing so is rather annoying and therefore trollish. I'll let this go as you didn't see the follow up and apologized for calling me a liar. But really..
ok.

But I wonder how you know how a trolls MO is supposed to be...
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by manmustwac(m): 10:35pm On Jun 18, 2013

2 Likes

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by alphascorpio(m): 7:36am On Jun 19, 2013

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2013
grin cheesy
Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 6:52pm On Jun 19, 2013
. . . . . . .
. . . . . . .

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 6:54pm On Jun 19, 2013
. . . . . .
, , , , , ,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by alphascorpio(m): 7:22am On Jun 20, 2013
.*.

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 11:16am On Jun 20, 2013
. . . . . . . .
, , ,, , , , ,

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 11:24am On Jun 20, 2013
Jesus depicted with long hair. What a disgrace (Samson too)

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 11:25am On Jun 20, 2013
lol. Its me; YOU

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 1:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
. . . . . . . . .
. . . . , , , , .

1 Like

Re: MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind by jayriginal: 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
. . . . . .
, , , , ,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

If Christ Is The True Only Way To Heaven, What Of These People ?? ( Must Read) / Bishop Oyedepo And Wife At The Burj Al Arab Hotel, Dubai. Photos / Funeral Service For Reinhard Bonke In Florida Draws Thousands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.