Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,667 members, 7,955,416 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:36 AM

Is My Religion A Cult? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is My Religion A Cult? (1203 Views)

The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult / Amorc Is Not A Cult (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 10, 2013
The difference between a cult and a religion

Within a healthy religious environment, family bonds are upheld and even strengthened, questioning of the leader and basic tenets is accepted, and the leader lives in a similar manner to the followers. One is offered all the information necessary to make an educated decision about joining, and once involved, people can choose the amount of involvement that feels right to them.

A cultic environment tears families apart, does not accept any questioning, and has a leader who claims to have an exalted position and to be above reproach. The cult is designed to solely advance its own goals, to abuse the members’ trust, and to use fear and shame to manipulate the followers. It freely utilizes deceptive techniques while recruiting new members and fundraising, misuses scripture, and declares other belief systems as false. Because it is not under the umbrella of a recognized religion, there is no governing body and the leader is, therefore, free to do as he or she pleases.

http://www.cultclinic.org/qa3.html

this should prod your mind to ask yourself this scary question
is your religion a cult?
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 10, 2013
^^^^

I witnessed a few of those traits in 2 specific churches I attended.

cool
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 6:39am On Jun 11, 2013
frosbel: ^^^^

cool

what churches? let me see if it rhymes with the ones i've been in
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Yvete(f): 8:54am On Jun 11, 2013
... but membership to a cult requires an oath of allegiance with grave consequences for transgressors. Right?
Seems a bit extreme to liken any Church to this definition of a cult (unless maybe there are some like that). sad
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 11, 2013
babaearly:

what churches? let me see if it rhymes with the ones i've been in

Deeperlife and Apostolic Faith.
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nkeon: 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
I think this is a good distinction between religion and cults. However, I would not agree with the last sentence

Because it is not under the umbrella of a recognized religion, there is no governing body and the leader is, therefore, free to do as he or she pleases

Even with a governing body a group can still be a cult if they do not abide with / or contradict the aforementioned.

But going by this my mother is a cult in herself! She doesn't like me questioning Catholicism and tries to scare me away from other denominations grin grin grin
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2013
frosbel:

Deeperlife and Apostolic Faith.

Yes Deeper life.why do they have a particular pattern of dress code.thats one point to note a cult
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
babaearly:

Yes Deeper life.why do they have a particular pattern of dress code.thats one point to note a cult

not only dress code, they look down on other churches and have this perception that they are the leaders in the doctrine of holiness and you have to count yourself lucky for being a member of their church.

Problem is, if you have formed friendships and relationships over a 10 year period for example, the moment you leave their church you lose all contact with them , they count you as a backslider or even heretic.

They follow one man and submit to all he says without testing with the word of GOD and the moment you start testing , you are out.
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 12, 2013
Yvete: ... but membership to a cult requires an oath of allegiance to its goal with grave consequences for transgressors. Right?
Seems a bit extreme to liken any Church to this definition of a cult (unless maybe there are some like that). sad

oath of allegience? Grave punishment for transgressors?

-All sinners shall go to hell?
-Do not be yoked with unbelivers?
-The wages of sin is death?
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
frosbel: ^^^^

cool

So you broke out and you're trying to start a new one? The Lord help you. grin

1 Like

Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2013
musKeeto:

grin grin grin grin grin

My cult is better than yours cheesy
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 12, 2013
musKeeto:

mate, aint starting zilch , trust me.

cheesy
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
all religions are cults.
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jun 12, 2013
*Kails*:
all religions are cults.

smiley

Erm.....why are you running from that your thread
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by okeyxyz(m): 6:59pm On Jun 12, 2013
One question for the OP: What is wrong with a Cult??

Afterall christianity (and every religion for that matter) started out as a cults. This is simple hypocrisy being displayed in full flying colors on this thread. Anytime a mainstream religion feels threatened by a new philosophy, they simply label them a cult in order to condemn them. The only thing that makes any group a cult is simply that they are not mainstream and conventional, and going by christian scripture: they are more likely to have the truth. Anybody who seeks to be with the crowd or popular opinion (as most churches and secularist do today) CANNOT know the true God. They are lovers of the world.
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2013
okeyxyz: One question for the OP: What is wrong with a Cult??

Afterall christianity (and every religion for that matter) started out as a cults. This is simple hypocrisy being displayed in full flying colors on this thread. Anytime a mainstream religion feels threatened by a new philosophy, they simply label them a cult in order to condemn them. The only thing that makes any group a cult is simply that there are not conventional, and going by christian scripture: they are more likely to have the truth. Anybody who seeks to be with the crowd or popular opinion (as most churches and secularist) CANNOT know the true God.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Wow, I am surprsied that Okeyxyz can make such an insightful statement! Great work! wink
Re: Is My Religion A Cult? by okeyxyz(m): 9:54pm On Jun 12, 2013
^^^ every once in a while I step down to your level grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

How Adam Was Created As a Baby / "What Is The Relationship Between Salvation And Forgiveness?" / Isis Destroys Tomb Of Prophet Jonah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.