Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill (5693 Views)

Senate Threatens To Veto Buhari On 2016 Budget / ” Ekiti People Will Vote For Jonathan” – State PDP Tells APC, Buhari / Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by miklos23: 7:11am On Jun 11, 2013
By Taiye Odewale, Abuja

Upon resumption from its current two weeks mid-term recess, the National Assembly may veto into law, its bill on the State of the Nation Address, which mandates President Goodluck Jonathan to present his scorecard before a joint session of the Federal lawmakers in the first week of July, which is not yet assented to by the president.

The State of the Nation Address Bill 2013 was passed into law by both the Senate and the House of Representatives last month and immediately transmitted to the Presidency for the required assent to meet the first week of July date for the Presidential address starting from this year.

But as at yesterday, when the Chairman, Senate Committee on Rules and Business, Senator Ita Enang, briefed the Senate Press Corps on the status of bills and motions passed by the Senate within the last one year, there was no indication yet that President Jonathan has assented to the bill.
For more click here:http://www.mydailynewswatchng.com/2013/06/11/nass-to-veto-jonathans-state-of-the-nation-address-bill/
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by pokur: 7:21am On Jun 11, 2013
Does the National Assembly veto bills or override Presidential vetoes?.What manner of people we call journalists these days.

11 Likes

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by firstolalekan(m): 9:07am On Jun 11, 2013
smth!
just dey waka pas. dis early mormor bulshits...

2nd to non wink
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by SamConquer(m): 9:08am On Jun 11, 2013
***Smoking My Expensive Cuban Cigar Seriously, From My Havana Twin Duplex.***#Squeeze Mouth and remove My Expensive Cuban Cigar From Mouth#What The F***k Is all This Political Grammar Bullsh!!!!t,Veto My A$$#Continue Puffing My Expensive Cuban Cigar
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by teniola55(m): 9:11am On Jun 11, 2013
4th to comment...this is awesome,i think am gona kill cow for this
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by ewet: 9:13am On Jun 11, 2013
I dont see anyhng wrong in this. The guy shuld be bold enuf to let us knw hw he is running the country and he shuld be grilled by lawmakers instead of those recorded broadcast nonsense all our presidents hav bin feeding us with.

I am with NASS on this 1!

1 Like

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Blackgold09(f): 9:13am On Jun 11, 2013
Hmmmmm
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 11, 2013
i think i need to review our constitution again. some things are no more clear to me

2 Likes

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Janiobi(m): 9:17am On Jun 11, 2013
To me oh, politics is bullshit. All i want is light so i fit change my phone... youtube things activated jooor.......
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by 50calibre(m): 9:20am On Jun 11, 2013
Very funny! Only in Nigeria you see house of assembly vetoing a presidential bill
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 11, 2013
Shout out to some peeps making trivial comments: A veto – Latin for "I forbid" – is the power
(used by an officer of the state, for example)
to unilaterally stop an official action,
especially the enactment of legislation. A
veto can be absolute. Or it can be
limited, as in the legislative process of the
Nigeria, where a two-thirds vote in
both the House and Senate may override a
Presidential veto of legislation.

Let's watch and see... If majority of the House and the Senate will give in to this.

2 Likes

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 11, 2013
I think the proper term is 'overide' not veto. Anyway, the State of the Nation address is a good step in further entrenching the principles of probity and accountability on government.

Meanwhile, the last law enacted by way of a National Assembly overide, was the 2002 Electoral Act.
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by daywatcher: 9:29am On Jun 11, 2013
what did they get a two weeks' recess for?

1 Like

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Rooneyboy(m): 9:53am On Jun 11, 2013
SamConquer: ***Smoking My Expensive Cuban Cigar Seriously, From My Havana Twin Duplex.***#Squeeze Mouth and remove My Expensive Cuban Cigar From Mouth#What The F***k Is all This Political Grammar Bullsh!!!!t,Veto My A$$#Continue Puffing My Expensive Cuban Cigar

U are very sick bro , pls do visit a psychiatrist before it gets out of hand.

1 Like

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 11, 2013
ewet: I dont see anyhng wrong in this. The guy shuld be bold enuf to let us knw hw he is running the country and he shuld be grilled by lawmakers instead of those recorded broadcast nonsense all our presidents hav bin feeding us with.

I am with NASS on this 1!

Which law makers? When did they start making law in favor of the citizens of Nigeria? The free money is no longer flowing as it normally do and they are becoming restless about it..

I do support this move by Nass but the intention behind it is what am worried about, Are they doing this because they want real accountability or are they doing it to get more ghana must go bags shared to them.
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Kewt: 10:15am On Jun 11, 2013
If this sails through, then the unintelligence of GEJ will be brought to the fore and thoroughly exposed.

Anyways, it's a good one for our democracy!
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by ochukoccna: 10:15am On Jun 11, 2013
Except you have no projects to show,why will you not sign the bill?
Been president is more than hosting banquets and posing for pictures cool

1 Like

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Symphony007: 10:19am On Jun 11, 2013
50calibre: Very funny! Only in Nigeria you see house of assembly vetoing a presidential bill
in every democracy and especially our federal system as copied from the united states: if the president refuses to assent a bill: a 2/3 majority can overule his veto and pass the law;

1 Like

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by deletrue: 10:21am On Jun 11, 2013
I trust jona. He will not be moved by threats from these ants and flies. If these unprofessional journalists who do not go through normal training and NASS members who are aiming at always getting money will only end up at nothing. As before, the president will not give any damn. No be only veto!
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Meringe(m): 10:22am On Jun 11, 2013
Make GEJ no fall ill cos of the address oo
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by samesolomon(m): 10:24am On Jun 11, 2013
its about time,lets see if this dishonorables have guts
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Symphony007: 10:24am On Jun 11, 2013
This should have been done decades ago. The president should every year come before a joint session of the national assembly.the justices of the supreme court: the military chiefs: his cabinet and indeed the people of nigeria to account for his work so far; that is true democracy and accountability. So that the opposituon can fact check you. Not spending tax payers money on a self praise and worship concert at the international conference center in the name of accountability or mid term report;
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by gramci: 10:25am On Jun 11, 2013
pokur: Does the National Assembly veto bills or override Presidential vetoes?.What manner of people we call journalists these days.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Symphony007: 10:32am On Jun 11, 2013
pokur: Does the National Assembly veto bills or override Presidential vetoes?.What manner of people we call journalists these days.
go study the constitution, a 2/3 majority of the national assembly can overule a presidential veto; even in the united states.
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by yinchar(m): 10:35am On Jun 11, 2013
For how long will it takes Jonathan to sign the bill, it clearly shows he's scared and not ready to be grilled in front of our representatives...NASS should just simply veto the bill and pass it into law...if the retardeen likes it or not...
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Ngwakwe: 10:55am On Jun 11, 2013
What hindered NASS from overriding OBJ's veto on Freedom of Information bill?

Secondly why can't they amend and pass Petroleum Industry Bill if not as presented and consequently override the President if he is displeased with the amendment and the format they intended?
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by BekeeBuAgbara: 11:07am On Jun 11, 2013
Symphony007: go study the constitution, a 2/3 majority of the national assembly can overule a presidential veto; even in the united states.
Bros, when the national assembly overrules a presidential veto, it is called override. The Op is wrong to use the word veto. undecided

1 Like

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Dee60: 11:07am On Jun 11, 2013
The President has been magnanimous by asking Nigerians to score him.

Scoring Metrics = These are the key issues in the minds of the people.

1. Fighting Corruption = 30 points (Think this administration has scored -10 points here)
2. Providing jobs = 20 points (10/20)
3. Constant supply of electricity = 10 points (4/10)
4. Infrastructure = 10 points (2/10)
5. Leading by example = 10 points (5/10)
6. Security = 20 points (10/20)

Total score = 21%

The President has 2 years to revive his performance. Our prayers are with him. We believe he can do the job. He must be willing to do it.
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by honestivo(m): 11:16am On Jun 11, 2013
Is necesssary,and they should also pass bills that wu benefit d common man on the street n those in d rural areas dat don't know wer their nex meal wil come from,dats wen we wu know their seruis.
Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by moodswing(m): 11:43am On Jun 11, 2013
Some people who don't understand the real intention behind this malicious move by NASS will think it's for Nigeria and democracy.

State of the union address or whatever they might want to call it shouldn't be about the president giving his account of stewardship to the lawmakers and politicians. Rather it should be directed towards the people, which he has already done couple of weeks ago.

Who the hell are they to grill the president on his performance?. Where in the world is that done?. The president can address the NASS on request and also specifically on issues that affects the legislative arm, or will help them make better laws.

The legislative, executive arms and other elective tiers of government are installed by the people through the ballot and both are accountable to the people and not to themselves.

If NASS want's to hold the president accountable to them, who then holds NASS accountable

We need laws that addresses social justice, equality and preservation of our fundamental rights as citizens. And not some idi0tic political stunt to malign another arm of the government for selfish interest of a selected few.

3 Likes

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Delafruita(m): 12:24pm On Jun 11, 2013
moodswing: Some people who don't understand the real intention behind this malicious move by NASS will think it's for Nigeria and democracy.

State of the union address or whatever they might want to call it shouldn't be about the president giving his account of stewardship to the lawmakers and politicians. Rather it should be directed towards the people, which he has already done couple of weeks ago.

Who the hell are they to grill the president on his performance?. Where in the world is that done?. The president can address the NASS on request and also specifically on issues that affects the legislative arm, or will help them make better laws.

The legislative, executive arms and other elective tiers of government are installed by the people through the ballot and both are accountable to the people and not to themselves.

If NASS want's to hold the president accountable to them, who then holds NASS accountable

We need laws that addresses social justice, equality and preservation of our fundamental rights as citizens. And not some idi0tic political stunt to malign another arm of the government for selfish interest of a selected few.

this is the most ridiculous comment i have ever read.as for the bolded,you wanna know who the hell they are?they are the representatives of the people.they might be corrupt and totally aloof of the reality on ground but the truth is,they are the elected representatives of the people and they have every right to demand accountability from the president.

you want to know who holds NASS members accountable?you and i and every other electorate out there.if your lawmakers isnt representing you well,he can be recalled.

if the president believes he's doing a good job,he shouldnt be bothered about presenting a state of the union address.besides its his opportunity to speak to all nigerians.the SoU in america is such a big deal and presidents have used it to boost their approval rating.clinton used it during the government shutdown to put pressure on congress just as obama uses it constantly to rally the american people around his presidency.its same in the UK where the prime minister addresses the houses to give his scorecard.

it is an irony that you want laws that adress social justice,preservation of our fundamental rights but then you dont think we as a people deserve to hear from our president what he has done with the power and resources we have given him.we dont need our president to arrange a jamboree where different ministers tell a bunch of lies and exaggerate perceived progress.we dont need our president to print out manuals with SURE-P hullaballoo.we need him to face us as a nation via our representatives and tell us what he has done,he needs to tell us which point we are in terms of his "transformation agenda".he should tell us if the fresh air he promised has been ordered for

3 Likes

Re: NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill by Candybob(m): 1:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
the move by the NASS would have been very commendable but underneath is an agenda to allocate to themselves more power and control of government, which we all know would not be followed by any whiff of responsibility. The legislative arm as we know has already been hijacked by godfathers, mafia styled criminals and money bags hugging politicians. Its not going to help us as a nation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

20 Shocking Atrocities Committed By General Muhammad Buhari / Wike Welcome Buhari With A Handshake And Looks / MC Oluomo Emerges Lagos NURTW Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.