Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast (7862 Views)

The Elders Of Iboland Need To Come Together And Stop This Nonsense / ACF Boss Accuses Northern Elders Of Betrayal. / Jtf Accuses Borno Elders Of Backing Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Igbogadi(m): 7:19am On Jun 11, 2013
http://radiobiafra.co/news/council-of-elders-of-indigenous-people-of-biafra

http://radiobiafra.co/broadcasts/play-download-special-broadcast-of-10-june-2013

MESSAGE BY THE COUNCIL OF ELDERS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLE OF BIAFRA TO ALL BIAFRANS LIVING IN NIGERIA AND IN THE DIASPORA

Fellow Biafran’s and salutation to all the people of goodwill worldwide.

Introduction:

It has become necessary for the Council of Elders of Indigenous People of Biafra to address the world and nation of Biafra whose children are scattered all over the world since after the Nigeria-Biafra war that ended in the battlefield in 1970. As some of you may be aware, we are in the Court at the moment with the Federal Government of Nigeria seeking to exercise our right to self-determination. Our legal argument as advanced by our formidable legal team is that we are Biafrans by indigenous identity but Nigerians by nationality. This was forced upon us by the British Government and sustained by Nigeria. We are the indigenous people of Biafraland whose maps existed in the ancient map of Africa over five hundred years before Nigeria was created in 1914. The laws protect the rights of indigenous people to self-determination. We are in court seeking for justice because the Nigerian Government has continued the battle against Biafra in another form through lack of security of lives and property, marginalization, discrimination and hatred resulting in the destruction of our ancestral way of life.

The Council of Elders constitutes the Government of Indigenous People of Biafra under Customary Law. We are the Council of Elders which signed the documents that authorized Bilie Human Rights Initiative to institute action against Nigeria on behalf of the Biafrans. We have been advised by our lawyers that the Customary Law under which the Council of Elders was established as a Government of Indigenous People of Biafra is in consonance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999. The only limitation is that the Government of Indigenous People of Biafra under Customary Law is not yet sovereign. We remain under the sovereignty of Nigeria until we gain independence.

Directives:

Though we are not yet sovereign, we nonetheless have a legitimate organization under our customary law as a people. That government is led by the Council of Elders of the Indigenous People of Biafra. The law of governance requires the people to be under a legally constituted authority. As declared in the Federal High Court of Owerri, the Council of Elders is the government of indigenous people of Biafra, overseeing, managing and controlling the affairs of indigenous people of Biafra. Pursuant to this role, we hereby give the following directives to all indigenous people of Biafra who are presently in court with the Federal Government of Nigeria in Suit No. FHC/OW/CS/102/2012 as represented by Bilie Human Rights Initiative as follows:

1. The Government of Indigenous People of Biafra headed by the Council of Elders is the only leadership organ that speaks for all indigenous people of Biafra who are presently in Court with the Federal Government of Nigeria seeking to exercise their right to self-determination. We have defined in court that the indigenous people of Biafra whom we represent are those inhabiting the South East geopolitical region of Nigeria, parts of the South-South geopolitical region of Nigeria, and parts of the Middle Belt region of Nigeria.

2. All people who identify themselves as Biafrans are required to take directives from the Council of Elders of Indigenous People of Biafra.

3. We give credit to the Federal Government of Nigeria and testify that the Nigerian Government has been cooperative and obedient to the rule of law in the ongoing case. We preach the rule of law and follow due process of law in our struggle for independence.

4. We hereby advise all indigenous people of Biafra to support the struggle of Radio Biafra currently broadcasting from London and to join Bilie Human Rights Initiative as the organization registered both in Nigeria and the United Nations to advocate for the rights of indigenous peoples to self-determination.

5. We have noted the fears of some Biafran businessmen and investors whose wealth and riches are located outside Biafraland. It is necessary to allay their fears by stating that when independence is achieved, no investments outside the territory of Biafra will be lost. It will be similar to having investments in a foreign country just as some Nigerians have properties in Britain, America and beyond.

6. We condemn in the strongest possible terms, the news that the Nigerian Police and military personnel have often killed Biafran’s who belong to some organizations without legal backing. We advise all pro-Biafra activists to come under the supervision and governance of the Council of Elders. We still recognize and encourage rights to freedom of association. We also advise the Government of Nigeria to refrain from harassing, intimidating or killing Biafra activists. It is important that the principle of an accused person remain innocent until proved guilty is rigorously adhered to at all instances, Nigeria is still a democracy.

7. Finally, we implore that all Biafran’s wherever they are in the world to support the two projects we have at hand. These are the projects run by Radio Biafra and the ongoing Case in the Federal High Court Owerri, Imo State. We ask that you help in ensuring that these two projects do not suffer due to lack of financial support. They are working for the enrichment of the fundamental rights of all of us. I wish you success in all your legitimate endeavors.

Thank you.

Dr. Dozie Ikedife
Deputy Chairman
Council of Elders of Indigenous People of Biafra

http://radiobiafra.co/news/council-of-elders-of-indigenous-people-of-biafra
http://radiobiafra.co/broadcasts/play-download-special-broadcast-of-10-june-2013

4 Likes

Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Igbogadi(m): 7:52am On Jun 11, 2013
Keep it up Council of Elders of Indigenous People of Biafra !!!
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Boy2boy: 8:38am On Jun 11, 2013
Ok
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Raymonbell(m): 8:47am On Jun 11, 2013
Laugh dey carry me, this thing is coming up again

1 Like

Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 11, 2013
The movement is on, there is no going back!
Long live the Council of Elders!
Long live the government of Biafra!
Ling live the Republic of Biafra!
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Dibiachukwu: 8:59am On Jun 11, 2013
What are the results so far? Have they adjorned it to 2030 yet? Biafra can not get independence by law suits. Nigerian apes and their pig colaborators should let my people go. Wolves and sheep dont mix. We are children of CHUKWU. CHUKWU says let my people go. Oge erugo.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by 2mch(m): 9:08am On Jun 11, 2013
grin. Mantu and Jona ran away with everyone's pension. People all over the country are feeling it. Make some noise jare CEB grin
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by DuduNegro: 9:41am On Jun 11, 2013
As a stake holder in the affairs and aspirations of Biafra, I hereby inject myself into this discussion and offer my commentary as follows.

This document attributed to the Council of Elders of Biafra is nothing but a mockery. I had no clue that there is an indigeneous group known as Biafrans before the white man planted his feet in Alaigbo. Did you know this?

Biafra is virtual name, just as Nigeria....both were named after bodies of water. There is no nativity known as Biafran, just as there is no nativity known as Nigerian. Here are few other places in Nigeria with popular political identity but non-native to the culture, customs and traditions of the people who own them.

1. Kaduna. Name for crocodiles in Hausa, there is no native of Kaduna
2. Plateau. Named after the topography, no native of Plateau
3. Adamawa. Named after a settler King, no native of Adamawa.
4. Niger. Named after a river, there is no native of Niger
5. Kogi. Name for river in Hausa, there is no native of Kogi
6. Kwara. Named after a river, no native of Kwara
7. Osun. Named after a deity, no native of Osun
8. Ogun. Named after a river, there is no native of Ogun
9. Abeokuta. Named for the topography, no native of Abeokuta.
10. Lagos. Name for river in Portuguese, no native of Lagos
11. River. Obviously named for river, no native of River.
12. Delta. Named for the topography, no native of Delta.
13. Akwa Ibom. Named for river, there is no native Akwa Ibom
14. Cross River. Named for river, no native Cross River person.

There are some places with political names that equate them with cultural heritage and native customs.

1. Oyo
2. Edo
3. Kano
4. Borno
5. Sokoto

So in saying Biafra is indigeneous, I take it they are equating all of Igboland as a native land under Biafra native customs. What are the anchors or markers for these customs? If you were to argue a law before the crown court of 1890 for instance, which Biafran doctrines would you use in defence of your territory?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 11, 2013
Dudu_Negro: As a stake holder in the affairs and aspirations of Biafra, I hereby inject myself into this discussion and offer my commentary as follows.

This document attributed to the Council of Elders of Biafra is nothing but a mockery. I had no clue that there is an indigeneous group known as Biafrans before the white man planted his feet in Alaigbo. Did you know this?

Biafra is virtual name, just as Nigeria....both were named after bodies of water. There is no nativity known as Biafran, just as there is no nativity known as Nigerian. Here are few other places in Nigeria with popular political identity but non-native to the culture, customs and traditions of the people who own them.

1. Kaduna. Name for crocodiles in Hausa, there is no native of Kaduna
2. Plateau. Named after the topography, no native of Plateau
3. Adamawa. Named after a settler King, no native of Adamawa.
4. Niger. Named after a river, there is no native of Niger
5. Kogi. Name for river in Hausa, there is no native of Kogi
6. Kwara. Named after a river, no native of Kwara
7. Osun. Named after a deity, no native of Osun
8. Ogun. Named after a river, there is no native of Ogun
9. Abeokuta. Named for the topography, no native of Abeokuta.
10. Lagos. Name for river in Portuguese, no native of Lagos
11. River. Obviously named for river, no native of River.
12. Delta. Named for the topography, no native of Delta.
13. Akwa Ibom. Named for river, there is no native Akwa Ibom
14. Cross River. Named for river, no native Cross River person.

There are some places with political names that equate them with cultural heritage and native customs.

1. Oyo
2. Edo
3. Kano
4. Borno
5. Sokoto

So in saying Biafra is indigeneous, I take it they are equating all of Igboland as a native land under Biafra native customs. What are the anchors or markers for these customs? If you were to argue a law before the crown court of 1890 for instance, which Biafran doctrines would you use in defence of your territory?

The difference between Nigerian and Biafra:

Biafra was accepted by the indigenous peoples lands that make up Biafra!
Nigeria was imposed by the Whiteman!
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 11, 2013
Dibiachukwu: What are the results so far? Have they adjorned it to 2030 yet? Biafra can not get independence by law suits. Nigerian apes and their pig colaborators should let my people go. Wolves and sheep dont mix. We are children of CHUKWU. CHUKWU says let my people go. Oge erugo.

So far:

Nigeria has paid the fine imposed on her by the court as damages to Biafra for not coming to court when summoned.

The next hearing is 26th of this Month at Owerri High Court.
the forecast is that the case will climax with the centenary celebration of Nigeria, when Nigeria will expire.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by DuduNegro: 10:41am On Jun 11, 2013
noblezone:

The difference between Nigerian and Biafra:

Biafra was accepted by the indigenous peoples lands that make up Biafra!
Nigeria was imposed by the Whiteman!

Noble,

The reference date is 1914. Predating that, which tribal people consented to live and be administered by a central authority in the name of Biafra? We know historically Igbo societies never lived or existed under a central authority prior to intervention of the colonialistst to introduce central native authority. Uptil now, 100yrs later, much of Igboland is still ruled by clan leaders and none of which are confident and trusting of central powers.

Who were these consenters you alluded to?
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 11:06am On Jun 11, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Noble,

The reference date is 1914. Predating that, which tribal people consented to live and be administered by a central authority in the name of Biafra? We know historically Igbo societies never lived or existed under a central authority prior to intervention of the colonialistst to introduce central native authority. Uptil now, 100yrs later, much of Igboland is still ruled by clan leaders and none of which are confident and trusting of central powers.

Who were these consenters you alluded to?

The form of government we had was that of parliamentary in nature.
It was more like a kind of senate.

Representatives are taken from the families to meet at the clan level.
Reps from the clans go out to represent whenever there is need.
They were called the council of elders.

what you must realize at the moment is that Nigeria and Biafra are just semantics. The fact is that we are just playing the politics of independence. The Whiteman used Nigeria to identify the geographical spread of what constitutes the country, while our people used Biafra to identify the spread that constitutes our aboard.

Self determination means choosing what we wish to known and be called, then in agreement with all who are interested, draw our boundaries. It is simply a statement of fact that the bundle called Nigeria was the sole creation of the whiteman. Personally, I see it as a mistake.

The movement to correct that mistake is on and it is picking momentum.

Let me just say that I understand you approach but it is mere academics!
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 11, 2013
To The West OPC, South-South Militants, North Boko Haram & East MASSOB. Naija I Hail!
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 11, 2013
To The West OPC, South-South Militants, North Boko Haram & East MASSOB. Naija I Hail.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by pazienza(m): 11:46am On Jun 11, 2013
'Council of elders', sounds so igbotic,me likey!

I am in support of any movement,(no matter how stupid or sophisticated their methods might be) that would lead to the independence of Igboland from this colonial entity of shame and backwardness.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 11, 2013
pazienza: 'Council of elders', sounds so igbotic,me likey!

I am in support of any movement,(no matter how stupid or sophisticated their methods might be) that would lead to the independence of Igboland from this colonial entity of shame and backwardness.

Bros chill!
it is just mere semantics!

Council of Elders is being used to avoid any clash with the laws both in Nigeria or international.
It is intellectually packaged that Nigeria is now in a fix.

Nigeria is coming to court. They once defaulted and was fined, they have also paid the fine.
Leave the acronyms, join the movement.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Igbogadi(m): 12:54pm On Jun 11, 2013
Slowly step by step we will pull out of Nigeria, nobody consulted us before putting in the Zoo called Nigeria.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Igbogadi(m): 1:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
If we don’t get the justice from Nigeria court, which is what most of us want any way, so that we can go to the international court, victory is on the way even if it takes time.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
Igbo gadi: If we don’t get the justice from Nigeria court, which is what most of us want any way, so that we can go to the international court, victory is on the way even if it takes time.

While the case is going on, there is a need to sensitize our people on the new move.
A lot of people are yet to be properly informed.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by slimghost(m): 1:51pm On Jun 11, 2013
noblezone:

While the case is going on, there is a need to sensitize our people on the new move.

Exactly. am quite lost.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Ogbonaikenna(m): 1:51pm On Jun 11, 2013
@Noble, the date is 25th of june. Join us on facebook group at "RADIO BIAFRA LONDON"
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ogbonaikenna: @Noble, the date is 25th of june. Join us on facebook group at "RADIO BIAFRA LONDON"

Thanks.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by pazienza(m): 5:18pm On Jun 11, 2013
noblezone:

Exactly! Especially with 2015 elections approaching,if nigeria survives till then, we would need to synchronize the voice of our people with that of our leaders, we should through our votes make sure that we don't have pro nigerian and anti-biafran leaders representing us at Abuja at home,and at the international level,we must remove them all with our votes.

So, like you said,a lot of sensitization is needed.

News concerning biafra always gladens my heart,i stumbled upon this thread in the early hours of the morning and i have been so happy since then, people at my work place noted that i have been smiling like a school boy inlove. *grins*

Oga adicha nma!
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by byteem: 5:43pm On Jun 11, 2013
let it be known that the good people of delta state do not form part and do not belong to this biafra tin..
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Emperor007: 5:48pm On Jun 11, 2013
It may linger for long, we must certainly exist where we would completely call ours one day.

Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Emperor007: 5:49pm On Jun 11, 2013
byteem: let it be known that the good people of delta state do not form part and do not belong to this biafra tin..

^^^

Better put, let it be known that you and your family are not part of Biafra, huh?

1 Like

Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Emperor007: 5:50pm On Jun 11, 2013
byteem: let it be known that the good people of delta state do not form part and do not belong to this biafra tin..

^^^

You can't decide for Delta Igbos.

Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by DuduNegro: 6:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
noblezone: .

The form of government we had was that of parliamentary in nature.
It was more like a kind of senate.

Representatives are taken from the families to meet at the clan level.
Reps from the clans go out to represent whenever there is need.
They were called the council of elders.

what you must realize at the moment is that Nigeria and Biafra are just semantics. The fact is that we are just playing the politics of independence. The Whiteman used Nigeria to identify the geographical spread of what constitutes the country, while our people used Biafra to identify the spread that constitutes our aboard.

Self determination means choosing what we wish to known and be called, then in agreement with all who are interested, draw our boundaries. It is simply a statement of fact that the bundle called Nigeria was the sole creation of the whiteman. Personally, I see it as a mistake.

The movement to correct that mistake is on and it is picking momentum.

Let me just say that I understand you approach but it is mere academics!

What you wrote here is precisely the point I wanted drawn out. It is political, not cultural. So then instead of "indigeneous Biafra", "The Commonwealth of Biafra" would have been a proper rendition,. It serves as the political container with defined boundaries for territories that historically were Igbo ancestry and native to Alaigbo.

No this is not an academic exercise, Im hammering at a political error.
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by pazienza(m): 6:32pm On Jun 11, 2013

Delta state is not the name of an ethnic group,be proud and say you ethnic group,stop hiding behind silly artificial creations like delta,niger delta,south-south,etc.

As an igboman,i don't wish to be in the same country with isoko,uhrobo,itsekiri and ijaw, only igbo tribes are needed.

So,you see, no one is interested in your group. But i'm sure that biafra would always welcome any xtian group in the 'real' and 'original' southern Nigeria.
Understand?
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by DuduNegro: 6:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
pazienza:

Delta state is not the name of an ethnic group,be proud and say you ethnic group,stop hiding behind silly artificial creations like delta,niger delta,south-south,etc.

As an igboman,i don't wish to be in the same country with isoko,uhrobo,itsekiri and ijaw, only igbo tribes are needed.

So,you see, no one is interested in your group. But i'm sure that biafra would always welcome any xtian group in the 'real' and 'original' southern Nigeria.
Understand?

Wow! If Delta state is not the name of an ethnic group, how do you qualify Biafra?
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Ogbonaikenna(m): 6:56pm On Jun 11, 2013
The daily broadcast starts by 7pm london time. Listen via www.radiobiafra.co, www.biliehumanrights.org
Re: Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast by Ogbonaikenna(m): 6:59pm On Jun 11, 2013
Our bigger transmitter would be installed in september/october 2013 so that everybody will be able to listen through FM and AM band.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Would Have Remained In PDP, If I Knew My Deputy Would Betray Me--gov. Amaechi / Anti-grazing Bill Passes First Reading In Abia House Of Assembly / President Buhari's Major Achievements In The South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.