Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Celebrating University Of Ibadan At 60 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Celebrating University Of Ibadan At 60 (808 Views)

A Visionary Leader And Tactful Politician Justus Gbenga Daniel - Ogd At 60 / Petrol Now Selling At 60 Naira In Ilorin / One Question I Would Have Asked Odia Ofeimun At 60 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Celebrating University Of Ibadan At 60 by fataiiyo(m): 10:36am On May 07, 2008
[center]CELEBRATING You.I AT 60[/center]
[center]Sunday Saanu.[/center]

The premier University in Nigeria, the University of Ibadan, admirably referred to as the “first and the best” is 60 years old this year, having being established in 1948. And to mark the diamond occasion, a year - long celebration was flagged off by the former Pro- Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Mr. Gamaliel Onosode during the 59th convocation ceremony. The anniversary has since begun. It will come to a glorious crescendo on Nov. 17th year.

It must not therefore surprise anyone hence forth, whenever one activity or the other is carried out and publicized as part of the 60th anniversary. The mood in the sprawling campus is already depicting commemoration: repairing and repainting, re- fixing and replacing damaged infrastructural facilities – all in preparation for the grand celebration of 60 years of academic excellence. It is worth it! Yes, drums should be rolled out, glasses must be clunk, fireworks must be displayed and the fatted calf must be killed. The university which started out with the 104 foundation students at the old site previously used by the 56th Military General Hospital, about eight kilometers away from the present permanent site, is today, globally recognized as one of the best universities in Africa and the flagship of post graduate studies in Nigeria. The University of Ibadan which has produced the movers and shakers of the society has remained a lighting rod for all other universities across the country with the You.I products illuminating dark places of the world.

The You.I’s achievements over the years are too formidable and considerable to be contested, yet indispensable in the scholastic enterprise. The truth is that this great institution shall continue to live as long as there are those who bear the stamp of its influence. They are everywhere, in and outside the country, research has shown that there is no country in the world without the You.I products holding one sensitive position or the other. As elder talks with an authority of experience, so is You.I pontificating as a result of its pedigree. Still, effluxion of time has not eroded the prevailing culture of intellectual osmosis peculiar to the institution.
Who will say the university that produces the Wole Soyinkas of this world, the Chinua Achebes among numerous notable world figures does not deserve fanfaronade at 60? The clues to You.I’s greatness are every where, begging to be interpreted!
The gigantic clock mounted against the tower of the university which is quite visible at the entrance of the institution has not stopped to chime, and it is a metaphorical expression of the fact that the impression of academic grandeur known with the school is too exotic to fade!

As the University is celebrating its diamond anniversary, perhaps, the occasion will provide an opportunity to reflect on the achievements, prospects and problems confronting the institution at 60. One would hope that the occasion will provide a confluence where the university needs and the willingness of the stakeholders, including the government, society and the alumni will meet to solve the problems confront the University. Undoubtedly, the needs are legion, but let us just examine only one, which requires urgent and pragmatic approach to tackle.

At 60, a major challenge confronting the university is energy crisis. Although, the entire Nigerian society is trapped in this national disgrace, it is just quite utopian that a university of Ibadan status will make a private arrangement to generate its own electricity for its own benefit. Power outage is a terrible problem in You.I. it frustrates academic activities and dampens the morale of both the students and their lecturers. Recently, the students were forced to stage a peaceful demonstration against power outage when for three days, there was no light to cook and pump water for use. It took the legendary wisdom of the Vice – Chancellor, Prof. Olufemi Bamiro to douse the tension.

At 60, is it not possible for the ex- students of this great institution to get together, donate money and build an independent power generation project for You.I? It is possible; You.I has more than enough successful alumni to do it. In the spirit of celebration and in tandem with the principle of corporate social responsibility, let successful former students of You.I step forward, put resources together and bail out their famous institution. out of this energy conundrum. Let something tangible be done for You.I on this occasion. In the last couple of years, the University has been blessed with good leadership. And those who mounted leadership seat have been doing their best to reposition the university. The immediate past administration of Prof. Ayodele Falase laid a solid foundation for further development by the current players. Falase’s indelible achievements in terms of infrastructural renovations have found synergy in the administrative acumen of the current vice- chancellor, Prof. Olufemi Bamiro. The V.C who has effectively consolidated Falase’s achievements has taken the university to the next level with his own transformational philosophy.

Prof. Bamiro is welcoming change instead of dreading change. He has come up with the idea of internationalization of You.I. The Professor of technology who is now been admirably called “Mr. Transformation” is putting in place hybridization of modern technology with harmonization of human capacities, with a view to further reposition the institution. His efforts can be more meaningful with adequate support from the government and other stakeholders.

Buoyed by an uncanny doggedness to transform the university, Prof. Bamiro along, with his able team members including Prof. Adigun Agbaje, Vice- Chancellor (academic), Prof. A. Ogunkunle, Vice – Chancellor (administration) and the indefatigable Registrar, Mrs Omotayo Ikotun, has indeed been able to make a mincemeat of the uphill task of providing clear direction with missionary zeal. This 60th anniversary celebration therefore provides a beautiful opportunity for all lovers of education to come and support this university with endowment.

It has been said that government alone cannot finance education. People must therefore come from far and near to support You.I. This writer has said it before that the You.I is a national patrimony, which must be jealously protected by all Nigerians. This institution must not be allowed to grow effete by poor funding. Come and donate to You.I as every action of our lives touches some chord that will vibrate in eternity.

The only way one can perpetuate his name in history is by a way of endowment to institutions such as You.I. Celebration has been done in the past but this year’s diamond anniversary will be marked with loudest ovation. As said earlier, You.I has every reason to celebrate. For the fact that values have not evaporated calls for celebration. For the fact that You.I has not become a historical relic calls for commemoration. While we salute those who intellectualized it into existence, we ought to sound the trumpet for this national heritage. There fore, join us at this festive occasion as we roll out the red carpet, clash the cymbals and wave the banners at this 60th year of intellectual and scholastic celebration. We fling wide the grates.

Sunday Saanu
Department of communication and
Language Arts.
University of Ibadan.
e-mail – Sunday Saanu@yahoo.com CELEBRATING You.I AT 60
Sunday Saanu.

The premier University in Nigeria, the University of Ibadan, admirably referred to as the “first and the best” is 60 years old this year, having being established in 1948. And to mark the diamond occasion, a year - long celebration was flagged off by the former Pro- Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Mr. Gamaliel Onosode during the 59th convocation ceremony. The anniversary has since begun. It will come to a glorious crescendo on Nov. 17th year.

It must not therefore surprise anyone hence forth, whenever one activity or the other is carried out and publicized as part of the 60th anniversary. The mood in the sprawling campus is already depicting commemoration: repairing and repainting, re- fixing and replacing damaged infrastructural facilities – all in preparation for the grand celebration of 60 years of academic excellence. It is worth it! Yes, drums should be rolled out, glasses must be clunk, fireworks must be displayed and the fatted calf must be killed. The university which started out with the 104 foundation students at the old site previously used by the 56th Military General Hospital, about eight kilometers away from the present permanent site, is today, globally recognized as one of the best universities in Africa and the flagship of post graduate studies in Nigeria. The University of Ibadan which has produced the movers and shakers of the society has remained a lighting rod for all other universities across the country with the You.I products illuminating dark places of the world.

The You.I’s achievements over the years are too formidable and considerable to be contested, yet indispensable in the scholastic enterprise. The truth is that this great institution shall continue to live as long as there are those who bear the stamp of its influence. They are everywhere, in and outside the country, research has shown that there is no country in the world without the You.I products holding one sensitive position or the other. As elder talks with an authority of experience, so is You.I pontificating as a result of its pedigree. Still, effluxion of time has not eroded the prevailing culture of intellectual osmosis peculiar to the institution.
Who will say the university that produces the Wole Soyinkas of this world, the Chinua Achebes among numerous notable world figures does not deserve fanfaronade at 60? The clues to You.I’s greatness are every where, begging to be interpreted!
The gigantic clock mounted against the tower of the university which is quite visible at the entrance of the institution has not stopped to chime, and it is a metaphorical expression of the fact that the impression of academic grandeur known with the school is too exotic to fade!

As the University is celebrating its diamond anniversary, perhaps, the occasion will provide an opportunity to reflect on the achievements, prospects and problems confronting the institution at 60. One would hope that the occasion will provide a confluence where the university needs and the willingness of the stakeholders, including the government, society and the alumni will meet to solve the problems confront the University. Undoubtedly, the needs are legion, but let us just examine only one, which requires urgent and pragmatic approach to tackle.

At 60, a major challenge confronting the university is energy crisis. Although, the entire Nigerian society is trapped in this national disgrace, it is just quite utopian that a university of Ibadan status will make a private arrangement to generate its own electricity for its own benefit. Power outage is a terrible problem in You.I. it frustrates academic activities and dampens the morale of both the students and their lecturers. Recently, the students were forced to stage a peaceful demonstration against power outage when for three days, there was no light to cook and pump water for use. It took the legendary wisdom of the Vice – Chancellor, Prof. Olufemi Bamiro to douse the tension.

At 60, is it not possible for the ex- students of this great institution to get together, donate money and build an independent power generation project for You.I? It is possible; You.I has more than enough successful alumni to do it. In the spirit of celebration and in tandem with the principle of corporate social responsibility, let successful former students of You.I step forward, put resources together and bail out their famous institution. out of this energy conundrum. Let something tangible be done for You.I on this occasion. In the last couple of years, the University has been blessed with good leadership. And those who mounted leadership seat have been doing their best to reposition the university. The immediate past administration of Prof. Ayodele Falase laid a solid foundation for further development by the current players. Falase’s indelible achievements in terms of infrastructural renovations have found synergy in the administrative acumen of the current vice- chancellor, Prof. Olufemi Bamiro. The V.C who has effectively consolidated Falase’s achievements has taken the university to the next level with his own transformational philosophy.

Prof. Bamiro is welcoming change instead of dreading change. He has come up with the idea of internationalization of You.I. The Professor of technology who is now been admirably called “Mr. Transformation” is putting in place hybridization of modern technology with harmonization of human capacities, with a view to further reposition the institution. His efforts can be more meaningful with adequate support from the government and other stakeholders.

Buoyed by an uncanny doggedness to transform the university, Prof. Bamiro along, with his able team members including Prof. Adigun Agbaje, Vice- Chancellor (academic), Prof. A. Ogunkunle, Vice – Chancellor (administration) and the indefatigable Registrar, Mrs Omotayo Ikotun, has indeed been able to make a mincemeat of the uphill task of providing clear direction with missionary zeal. This 60th anniversary celebration therefore provides a beautiful opportunity for all lovers of education to come and support this university with endowment.

It has been said that government alone cannot finance education. People must therefore come from far and near to support You.I. This writer has said it before that the You.I is a national patrimony, which must be jealously protected by all Nigerians. This institution must not be allowed to grow effete by poor funding. Come and donate to You.I as every action of our lives touches some chord that will vibrate in eternity.

The only way one can perpetuate his name in history is by a way of endowment to institutions such as You.I. Celebration has been done in the past but this year’s diamond anniversary will be marked with loudest ovation. As said earlier, You.I has every reason to celebrate. For the fact that values have not evaporated calls for celebration. For the fact that You.I has not become a historical relic calls for commemoration. While we salute those who intellectualized it into existence, we ought to sound the trumpet for this national heritage. There fore, join us at this festive occasion as we roll out the red carpet, clash the cymbals and wave the banners at this 60th year of intellectual and scholastic celebration. We fling wide the grates.

By-Sunday Saanu
Department of communication and
Language Arts.
University of Ibadan.
e-mail – Sunday Saanu@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

How Nigeria Helped To Set South Africa Free / Child Care Officer Has Been Jailed For Two Years For Stealing £110,000 / To Hell With Your Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.